Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Fermentation end point

I have an orange wine that went from 1.095 to 1.000 and stopped. Would you
bother to try to get it lower?

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

That depends on how dry you want it. It will probably go a bit lower, but it
will be a slower fermentation. How do you like your wines? sweet or dry?
Darlene
Wisconsin

"Crhoff" > wrote in message
>I have an orange wine that went from 1.095 to 1.000 and stopped. Would you
>bother to try to get it lower?

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

My guess would be that at 1.000 there is only a little sweetness left.
Orange wine is usually pretty acidic and can certainly support the
sweetness. I would let it clear, stabilize it, and go with it as it is.

Ray

"Dar V" > wrote in message
> That depends on how dry you want it. It will probably go a bit lower, but
> it will be a slower fermentation. How do you like your wines? sweet or
> dry?
> Darlene
> Wisconsin
>
> "Crhoff" > wrote in message
>>I have an orange wine that went from 1.095 to 1.000 and stopped. Would
>>you bother to try to get it lower?

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
CJ CJ is offline

Crhoff wrote:
> I have an orange wine that went from 1.095 to 1.000 and stopped. Would you
> bother to try to get it lower?

That has a lot more to do with personal preference.

"Use the numbers as a guide, but your tongue to decide."

If you think it tastes good with the slight residual sweetness, then
sorbate it to stop it from re-fermenting later and go with it...

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

It tasted ok to me and and I did what you suggested.
Thanks

oups.com...

Point Cut CB Dimitri General Cooking 6 20-03-2010 10:20 AM
what's the point? SteveB[_4_] General Cooking 0 11-02-2009 06:21 AM
Perry Fermentation - natural yeasts and malo-latic fermentation norm Winemaking 1 30-04-2004 01:52 PM
To the point Jonathan Ball Vegan 1 26-02-2004 06:40 PM
What is the point of shortening? Yukon Cornelius General Cooking 16 22-10-2003 09:11 AM