Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Squash ....was Steel-Cut Oats

sf > wrote:

> wrote:

>> blake murphy wrote:

>> > ah, o.k. then. to be honest, i don't think i've ever eaten winter squash.

>> Have you eaten pumpkin?

>or Acorn or Butternut or Spaghetti... any hard skinned squash?

My favorites of the winter family are delicata and pumpkin.

I've had bad luck with butternut, including a recent one purchased
at the Santa Barbara farmer's market... it had an off, musty flavor.
(Earthy is good, but musty is bad.)

Spaghetti is okay but usually (I have found) bland.

Delicata seems most practical if you don't have a ton of people
to serve; also, the skin is edible.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 4 Feb 2010 14:50:08 -0500, blake murphy
> wrote:

> On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 21:04:04 -0800, Serene Vannoy wrote:
>
> > blake murphy wrote:
> >
> >> ah, o.k. then. to be honest, i don't think i've ever eaten winter squash.

> > Have you eaten pumpkin?
> >
> > Serene

> other than in pie? likely once or twice, but i can't remember when. i'm a
> philistine.

Me either, Blake. I'm not as cosmopolitan as all them Eeurowpeeans
that only eat "pumpkin".

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 04 Feb 2010 15:06:54 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Thu, 4 Feb 2010 14:50:08 -0500, blake murphy
> wrote:

>> > Have you eaten pumpkin?
>> >
>> > Serene

>> other than in pie? likely once or twice, but i can't remember when. i'm a
>> philistine.
>>

>Me either, Blake. I'm not as cosmopolitan as all them Eeurowpeeans
>that only eat "pumpkin".

I grow lots of butternut and acorn squash, very easy to grow, very
prolific, and keeps well. My favorite way to cook these winter squash
is stuffed and roasted, I cook them well done and eat the skins,
better than baked potato skins.

Most commercially made pumpkin pie is actually made with butternut
squash... canned pumpkin is almost always butternut squash too.

http://www.slashfood.com/2005/10/24/...eally-pumpkin/

http://tomclothier.hort.net/page27.html

When folks claim to have made pumpkin pie with pumpkins I don't
believe them, certainly not unless they can document the process with
photos.

The one good thing about growing pumpkin is that deer won't eat the
vine, they're loaded with sharp needle like protrusions. I've grown
pumpkin but for the space they need they're hardly worth it... I buy a
few pumpkins for Halloween decor. But I grow winter and summer squash
of all kinds each year.

Winter squash bounty w/roast pork loin, delicious:
http://i46.tinypic.com/9jztzr.jpg

Squash harvest etc:
http://i45.tinypic.com/5n7p5t.jpg

http://i48.tinypic.com/2ughz60.jpg

http://i50.tinypic.com/rgxb81.jpg

http://i46.tinypic.com/6png4l.jpg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Steel-Cut Oats

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 03:20:27 -0800, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>What do you do with steel-cut oats, other than make them into breakfast
>porridge? I like them that way, but they must be good for SOMETHING else.
>
>Bob

Made 'em into breakfast this morning, with a little twist. Half a cup
of steel-cut oats toasted carefully in the pan with a tablespoon of
walnut oil. Stir almost constantly to prevent burning. When they
smell good add a cup and a half of water, bring just to a boil, cover,
and simmer while reading the morning Usenet posts and walking on the
treadmill. Remove from stove, add salt and a cup of your favorite
yogurt. The walnut oil adds a delightful nuttiness.

Terry
....same thing again tomorrow, I think...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. wrote:

> My dislike stems back to my childhood, when my mother made lumpy CoW, with
> little disguise. If one didn't consume it at breakfast, that bowl would
> continue to appear at meals until it was gone. Ugh.
>
> Sure, almost anything can be disguised with adequate dark brown sugar,
> maple syrup, etc. But why ingest all of those empty calories when there
> are so many other more-palatable (from a subjective standpoint) things to
> eat?

You might try adding a tiny bit of vanilla extract instead of sweeteners.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou wrote:

> about yellow squash. I detest it. People say load it up with xxxx. I say
> screw that. I'll have something I like without having to cover the
> nastiness up. I'm far from a fussy eater and there's only a few things I
> don't like so why bother with the few when there's so many things I love
> to eat.

Heh... because that's what comes in your CSA box for the week, and you don't
want it to go to waste?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou wrote:

> I think I confused things by saying yellow squash. I should have said
> winter squash.

Oh. That's a BIG difference.

> All the winter squash recipes I've seen call for baking. Maybe I've led a
> sheltered life but I've never heard of anyone eating raw winter squash.

Raw winter squash is unpleasantly astringent. Cooking mellows it.

Winter squashes are quite versatile. Their flavor is a bit subtle, and cooks
have several choices: (1) Amplify the flavor by pairing with similar flavors
like nuts or vanilla. (2) Cover the flavor with strong flavors like maple,
garlic, or curry. (3) Pair with complementary but different flavors like
herbes de Provence or orange juice.

As you noted, the most common thing to do with a winter squash in North
America is to bake it, then many recipes go on to mash or purée it. (Squash
soup is a popular result of that kind of preparation.) But in other cultures
it's used in many, many different ways. You can make fritters from it. You
can use it as a cooking vessel for stews. You can put it into ravioli
(especially with sage and butter). I pan-cooked slices of butternut squash
as part of dinner last night. Chunks of winter squash can also be steamed
until just cooked through. (Steaming too long will make them watery,
though.)

Some people who dislike winter squash have only been presented with sweet
dishes made from winter squash. But it's possible to make savory winter
squash dishes, e.g., winter squash stir-fried with onions, shrimp, and
bamboo shoots.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger > wrote:

>As you noted, the most common thing to do with a winter squash in North
>America is to bake it, then many recipes go on to mash or purée it. (Squash
>soup is a popular result of that kind of preparation.) But in other cultures
>it's used in many, many different ways. You can make fritters from it. You
>can use it as a cooking vessel for stews. You can put it into ravioli
>(especially with sage and butter). I pan-cooked slices of butternut squash
>as part of dinner last night. Chunks of winter squash can also be steamed
>until just cooked through. (Steaming too long will make them watery,
>though.)

>Some people who dislike winter squash have only been presented with sweet
>dishes made from winter squash. But it's possible to make savory winter
>squash dishes, e.g., winter squash stir-fried with onions, shrimp, and
>bamboo shoots.

I've always suspected that prevalent style of squash soup, as found in
many yuppie restaurants, is doctored with sugar. I'm not sure if this is
true but I've almost never encountered such a soup I truly like.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine wrote:

> I like most veggies, but some I only like in a very, very few
> preparations.. Okra is one such veggie. Lin turned me on to fried okra,
> and so far, that is the only way I will eat it.

Ever had curried lamb with whole okra pods? I believe the recipe is in
_Madhur Jaffrey's Illustrated Indian Cookery_. It's pretty good stuff, and
since the okra pods are left whole, they don't "slime up" the rest of the
dish. Okra is also good pickled.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger > wrote:

>Christine wrote:

>> I like most veggies, but some I only like in a very, very few
>> preparations.. Okra is one such veggie. Lin turned me on to fried okra,
>> and so far, that is the only way I will eat it.

>Ever had curried lamb with whole okra pods? I believe the recipe is in
>_Madhur Jaffrey's Illustrated Indian Cookery_.

Interesting you shuld mention this -- lamb/okra curry is a favorite
of ours, although we only manage to make it once per year or so.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:

> That's one reason why I don't get a CSA box. I don't know if I
> mentioned that reason, when we were talking about them last night at
> your house...
> I am afraid too much would go to waste. I like most veggies, but some
> I only like in a very, very few preparations.. Okra is one such
> veggie. Lin turned me on to fried okra, and so far, that is the only
> way I will eat it. If I had a ton of okra in a CSA box, I would
> either have to make a huge batch of fried okra, or let it go to waste.

Or give it away. :-) When I get chard (which I hate), it goes to Carol,
who loves it. Kiwifruit go to the back neighbor. But there are CSAs
(mine is one) that will let you choose a list of foods that you never
want to receive.

> Christine, who is home tonight with a fever.

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. I was just going to email you to invite you
to go shopping in the rain this weekend, but I'll wait until next week.
Feel better!

Serene
--
"I tend to come down on the side of autonomy. Once people are grown up,
I believe they have the right to go to hell in the handbasket of their
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC Squash ....was Steel-Cut Oats

Stu wrote:

> Hey Steve, here's my Son's take on the Tomato Butternet Squash Soup
>
> SLIMMED-DOWN TOMATO-BUTTERNUT SQUASH BISQUE

Your son is named Carol?

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...509070310.html

Busted again, PLAGIARIST!

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Christine Dabney > wrote:

> On Thu, 04 Feb 2010 21:48:21 -0800, Serene Vannoy
> > wrote:
>

> >Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. I was just going to email you to invite you
> >to go shopping in the rain this weekend, but I'll wait until next week.
> >Feel better!
> >
> >Serene

> Lets play it by ear. I am going to try to get out to at least one
> farmers market, if I feel good enough.I still want to go. But I may
> have to scale it back somewhat, what I was planning on. Instead of
> the Alemany one, it might be the Berkeley one instead...which starts
> later..and is closer to home. And no heading over to Penzeys, which
> was on my agenda.

Penzeys in Menlo Park is on our agenda for Saturday. Too bad you aren't
up to it. Hope you're feeling better soon!

marcella

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>Lou wrote:
>
> I think I confused things by saying yellow squash. I should have said
> winter squash.

Now you've confused things more, there are yellow winter squash too;
acorn squash is available in green, yellow, and two tone. The color
of squash is really no determinant, there are literally thousands of
variations.... I've had summer pattypan cross pollinate with winter
acorn, looks like ET aliens but tastes delicious with a lovely
texture. The most common way to cook winter squash is to bake it
(excellent stuffed with sausage), but I think the best method is
grilled, slow grilled like bbq... butternut turns out like no fat
smoked gouda, my favorite but takes like three hours with indirect
heat, so then I will make as many as will fit on my grill... it
dehydrates substantially so can be frozen without a change in texture.
But winter squash can be sliced into slabs and grilled the same as
summer squash. I like all types of squash cooked all kinds of ways
but I detest pureed squash soup... if I wanted baby food I'd buy
Gerbers.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:
> On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 21:04:04 -0800, Serene Vannoy wrote:
>
>> blake murphy wrote:
>>
>>> ah, o.k. then. to be honest, i don't think i've ever eaten winter squash.

>> Have you eaten pumpkin?
>>
>> Serene

> other than in pie?

No, not other than in pie. If you've eaten pumpkin pie, you've eaten
winter squash.

Serene
--
"Basic principles of the Universe, oo. Do tell. Quantum mechanics?"
"You cannot know simultaneously where you are in a relationship *and*
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:
> On Thu, 04 Feb 2010 21:48:21 -0800, Serene Vannoy
> > wrote:
>

>> Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. I was just going to email you to invite you
>> to go shopping in the rain this weekend, but I'll wait until next week.
>> Feel better!
>>
>> Serene

> Lets play it by ear. I am going to try to get out to at least one
> farmers market, if I feel good enough.I still want to go.

And now I've got a nasty head cold. *sigh*

I really have to meet you sooner or later, just to prove you actually
exist. :-)

Serene
--
"Basic principles of the Universe, oo. Do tell. Quantum mechanics?"
"You cannot know simultaneously where you are in a relationship *and*
how fast it is going." - Piglet and Rob Wynne, on alt.polyamory
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 05 Feb 2010 10:49:26 -0500, brooklyn1
> wrote:

>>Lou wrote:
>>
>> I think I confused things by saying yellow squash. I should have said
>> winter squash.

>Now you've confused things more, there are yellow winter squash too;

Figures. I did a bunch of googling and I'm clear now on what
everything is. Zucchini is the only one I like.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene wrote to Christine:

> I really have to meet you sooner or later, just to prove you actually
> exist. :-)

Didn't you know? Christine is entirely fictional; I made her up to support
my prolific keyboard cookery. Now it's like she has a life of her own! :-)

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:
>brooklyn1 wrote:
>>>Lou wrote:
>>>
>>> I think I confused things by saying yellow squash. I should have said
>>> winter squash.

>>Now you've confused things more, there are yellow winter squash too;

>Figures. I did a bunch of googling and I'm clear now on what
>everything is. Zucchini is the only one I like.

You're still confused... zucchini is *summer* squash... and there are
many kinds and colors.

http://www.burpee.com/p2p/searchResu...ivals&page=all

http://www.burpee.com/p2p/searchResu...ivals&page=all

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 6 Feb 2010 02:32:28 -0800, Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> Serene wrote to Christine:
>
>> I really have to meet you sooner or later, just to prove you actually
>> exist. :-)

> Didn't you know? Christine is entirely fictional; I made her up to support
> my prolific keyboard cookery. Now it's like she has a life of her own! :-)
>
> Bob

my solipsism is stronger than yours.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 05 Feb 2010 13:03:37 -0800, Serene Vannoy wrote:

> blake murphy wrote:

>>> Have you eaten pumpkin?
>>>
>>> Serene

>> other than in pie?

> No, not other than in pie. If you've eaten pumpkin pie, you've eaten
> winter squash.
>
> Serene

well, that takes care of that. <crosses winter squash off list, adds
pumpkin>

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 06 Feb 2010 09:25:41 -0500, brooklyn1
> wrote:

>Lou Decruss wrote:

>>>Now you've confused things more, there are yellow winter squash too;

>>Figures. I did a bunch of googling and I'm clear now on what
>>everything is. Zucchini is the only one I like.

>You're still confused... zucchini is *summer* squash... and there are
>many kinds and colors.
>
>http://www.burpee.com/p2p/searchResu...ivals&page=all
>
>http://www.burpee.com/p2p/searchResu...ivals&page=all

What part of " Zucchini is the only one I like" was hard for you to
understand?

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 07 Feb 2010 18:32:27 -0600, Lou Decruss wrote:

> On Sat, 06 Feb 2010 09:25:41 -0500, brooklyn1
> > wrote:
>
>>Lou Decruss wrote:

>>>Figures. I did a bunch of googling and I'm clear now on what
>>>everything is. Zucchini is the only one I like.

>>You're still confused... zucchini is *summer* squash... and there are
>>many kinds and colors.
>>
>>http://www.burpee.com/p2p/searchResu...ivals&page=all
>>
>>http://www.burpee.com/p2p/searchResu...ivals&page=all
>>

> What part of " Zucchini is the only one I like" was hard for you to
> understand?
>
> Lou

all of it, apparently.

your pal,
blake

What do you know about steel cut oats? sf[_9_] General Cooking 19 19-12-2012 08:06 AM
Other uses for steel-cut oats? Terry[_3_] General Cooking 4 25-08-2009 05:12 PM
Steel Cut Oats Jean B. General Cooking 21 22-07-2005 08:17 PM
steel cut oats notbob General Cooking 36 10-07-2005 03:41 PM
Steel cut oats zxcvbob General Cooking 10 13-03-2005 09:19 PM