Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Other uses for steel-cut oats?

I have a bag of pinhead oats in the freezer and was wondering if
anyone had made oatmeal cookies using them, or used 'em as a filler
for meatloaf, or made some other traditional "oatmeal" food using
them.

They take so long to cook properly that I figured they might not work
as well in cookies but... anyone tried it? How were they?

I love pinhead oats; even got elder daughter to like them. She's the
non-adventurous-eater type, which is what makes it amazing.

Terry
Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article >,
Terry > wrote:

> I have a bag of pinhead oats in the freezer and was wondering if
> anyone had made oatmeal cookies using them, or used 'em as a filler
> for meatloaf, or made some other traditional "oatmeal" food using
> them.
>
> They take so long to cook properly that I figured they might not work
> as well in cookies but... anyone tried it? How were they?

I've used them in bread machine bread recipes that call for rolled oats
-- they work fine. You don't need to cook them first; the long, slow
"steaming" in the ABM is all it takes.

Isaac
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry wrote:
> I have a bag of pinhead oats in the freezer and was wondering if
> anyone had made oatmeal cookies using them, or used 'em as a filler
> for meatloaf, or made some other traditional "oatmeal" food using
> them.
>
> They take so long to cook properly that I figured they might not
> work
> as well in cookies but... anyone tried it? How were they?
>
> I love pinhead oats; even got elder daughter to like them. She's
> the
> non-adventurous-eater type, which is what makes it amazing.
>
> Terry

Try this one, Terry (Googled but not tried):

http://www.wholegraingourmet.com/rec...l-cookies.html

Dora

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry wrote:

> I have a bag of pinhead oats in the freezer and was wondering if
> anyone had made oatmeal cookies using them, or used 'em as a filler
> for meatloaf, or made some other traditional "oatmeal" food using
> them.
>
> They take so long to cook properly that I figured they might not work
> as well in cookies but... anyone tried it? How were they?
>
> I love pinhead oats; even got elder daughter to like them. She's the
> non-adventurous-eater type, which is what makes it amazing.
>
> Terry

Breading for deep-fried anything.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry > wrote:

> I have a bag of pinhead oats in the freezer and was wondering if
> anyone had made oatmeal cookies using them, or used 'em as a filler
> for meatloaf, or made some other traditional "oatmeal" food using
> them.

I've used them in meatloaf. It works fine.

Toast them and use them on a salad. Same principle as
toassing toasted sesame seeds on the salad for flavoring.
I think oats toast better than perl barley.

An old friend liked to soak them in scotch whiskey for a few
weeks. I tried it and thought it was nasty but some other
friends loved it. The reactions to it seemed to track tastes
in whiskey - I like bourbon okay but I think most scotches
are nasty.

What do you know about steel cut oats? sf[_9_] General Cooking 19 19-12-2012 08:06 AM
Steel-Cut Oats Bob Terwilliger[_1_] General Cooking 149 08-02-2010 05:53 PM
Steel Cut Oats Jean B. General Cooking 21 22-07-2005 08:17 PM
steel cut oats notbob General Cooking 36 10-07-2005 03:41 PM
Steel cut oats zxcvbob General Cooking 10 13-03-2005 09:19 PM