Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Steel-Cut Oats

What do you do with steel-cut oats, other than make them into breakfast
porridge? I like them that way, but they must be good for SOMETHING else.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> What do you do with steel-cut oats, other than make them into breakfast
> porridge? I like them that way, but they must be good for SOMETHING else.
>
> Bob

Make your porridge, but add honey, an ounce of Irish Cream and some
berries or fruit. You could instead use Drambuie, Scotch Whiskey or
plain Irish Whiskey, but you will need to add the cream separately.

The oats could be used, along with other grains, in a mixed-grain pilaf.

There is a traditional Scottish drink called "Atholl Brose" or just
"Brose" that starts with a strained infusion of steel-cut oats.

Steel-cut oats are also known as pinhead oats. You could google for that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

whirled wrote on Mon, 25 Jan 2010 10:00:46 -0800:

> Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>> What do you do with steel-cut oats, other than make them into
>> breakfast porridge? I like them that way, but they must be
>> good for SOMETHING else.
>>
>> Bob

> Make your porridge, but add honey, an ounce of Irish Cream and
> some berries or fruit. You could instead use Drambuie, Scotch Whiskey
> or plain Irish Whiskey, but you will need to add the
> cream separately.

> The oats could be used, along with other grains, in a
> mixed-grain pilaf.

> There is a traditional Scottish drink called "Atholl Brose" or
> just "Brose" that starts with a strained infusion of steel-cut
> oats.

There's no requirement that the oats be steel-cut for Atholl Brose but,
to tell the truth, I don't like it much, even made traditionally with
heather honey and Scotch. Anyway, not all brose is Atholl Brose! It's
just oatmeal soaked in boiling water for half an hour or so.
Originally, shepherds and Highland warriors would carry oatmeal mixed
with water as food. I quite like rolled oats mixed with raisins; no
liquid at all!

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 03:20:27 -0800, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>What do you do with steel-cut oats, other than make them into breakfast
>porridge? I like them that way, but they must be good for SOMETHING else.

Haven't done this yet, but want to try it in cookies instead of rolled
oats.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 12:30:14 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Mon 25 Jan 2010 04:20:27a, Bob Terwilliger told us...
>
>> What do you do with steel-cut oats, other than make them into breakfast
>> porridge? I like them that way, but they must be good for SOMETHING else.
>>
>> Bob
>>

>Add cooked oats to pancake or waffle batter, or use in cookie dough. Raw,
>the cooked grains are too hard for anything I can think of.

How long do you cook them, Wayne, 10 minutes or all the way?

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 10:00:46 -0800, whirled peas >
wrote:

>The oats could be used, along with other grains, in a mixed-grain pilaf.

Would you happen to have a recipe to post?

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

>> Add cooked oats to pancake or waffle batter, or use in cookie dough. Raw,
>> the cooked grains are too hard for anything I can think of.

> How long do you cook them, Wayne, 10 minutes or all the way?

I often use a little leftover oatmeal porridge in pancake batter. I
adjust the amount of flour but use the same amount of salt and baking
powder, then add the oatmeal to the liquid first to get it well stirred
up. Sometimes I have to add a little liquid or flour to get the right
consistency. I cook them the same amount of time as for pancakes. The
oatmeal is already cooked.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 15:38:58 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>I often use a little leftover oatmeal porridge in pancake batter. I
>adjust the amount of flour but use the same amount of salt and baking
>powder, then add the oatmeal to the liquid first to get it well stirred
>up. Sometimes I have to add a little liquid or flour to get the right
>consistency. I cook them the same amount of time as for pancakes. The
>oatmeal is already cooked.

Thanks for the technique, Dave. I purposely make too much steel cut
oatmeal because it reheats so well. Oatmeal pancakes are coming soon
to my house!

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> What do you do with steel-cut oats, other than make them into breakfast
> porridge? I like them that way, but they must be good for SOMETHING else.

Soak in scotch whiskey for a couple of months. The result looks nasty
but anyone who likes scotch loves it. Named something like brose.

Given that I like rolled oats mixed into meatloaf I wonder what
treatment steel cut oats would need before going into the meatloaf.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> What do you do with steel-cut oats, other than make them into breakfast
> porridge? I like them that way, but they must be good for SOMETHING else.

I'd bet they'd make a good fish soup.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jan 25, 3:20*am, "Bob Terwilliger" >
wrote:
> What do you do with steel-cut oats, other than make them into breakfast
> porridge? I like them that way, but they must be good for SOMETHING else.
>
> Bob

Here, try this one:

Steel-Cut Oat Risotto with Chicken, Red Peppers, and Manchego
From Cooking Light

Steel-cut oats are whole-oat groats that have been cut into pieces to
cook quickly. Find them on the cereal aisle in the supermarket labeled
"steel-cut Irish oatmeal." Do not substitute quick-cooking Irish
oatmeal or American-style rolled oats.

2 (14-ounce) cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
2 teaspoons olive oil
3/4 cup finely chopped onion
1 large red bell pepper, chopped
1 1/4 cups steel-cut oats
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 cup chopped cooked dark meat chicken
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Manchego cheese
1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
1/2 teaspoon salt

Bring broth to a simmer in a medium saucepan (do not boil). Keep warm.

Heat oil in a medium sauté pan over medium heat. Add onion and pepper;
sauté 5 minutes. Add oats; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir
in wine; cook 2 minutes or until nearly absorbed, stirring constantly.
Add broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring until each portion of broth is
absorbed before adding the next (about 20 minutes). Stir in chicken,
cheese, rosemary, and salt.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 cup)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 419(30% from fat); FAT 14g (sat 4.4g,mono 5.1g,poly 2.2g);
PROTEIN 23.3g; CHOLESTEROL 48mg; CALCIUM 143mg; SODIUM 774mg; FIBER
7.6g; IRON 3.1mg; CARBOHYDRATE 43.2g

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Mon 25 Jan 2010 04:20:27a, Bob Terwilliger told us...
>
> > What do you do with steel-cut oats, other than make them into breakfast
> > porridge? I like them that way, but they must be good for SOMETHING else.
> >
> > Bob
> >

> Add cooked oats to pancake or waffle batter, or use in cookie dough. Raw,
> the cooked grains are too hard for anything I can think of.

It's often used to coat fish for deep-frying. Very tasty that way. Also
make oatcakes or add them to bread.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...ddrink.recipes
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

>> I often use a little leftover oatmeal porridge in pancake batter. I
>> adjust the amount of flour but use the same amount of salt and baking
>> powder, then add the oatmeal to the liquid first to get it well stirred
>> up. Sometimes I have to add a little liquid or flour to get the right
>> consistency. I cook them the same amount of time as for pancakes. The
>> oatmeal is already cooked.

> Thanks for the technique, Dave. I purposely make too much steel cut
> oatmeal because it reheats so well. Oatmeal pancakes are coming soon
> to my house!

I am in a bind about the amount of steel cut oats to cook. I tried
making extra because it takes so much longer to cook and I figured I
could just reheat it a serving at a time. The problem for me is that I
just don't like it as much when it has been reheated. I have done it in
a pan on the burner and in the microwave. Neither way is acceptable.
However, I am starting to wonder if I could coll it in a pan and fry
slices of it like you can do with grits or polenta.

As for oatmeal in pancakes..... I realize that your question was about
using it in pancakes. FWIW, you can add some quick cooking oatmeal to
pancake batter, let it sit for a while and then cook it the way you
would regular pancakes. They taste great and there is a slight texture
difference.... but a good one.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 20:48:23 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>I am in a bind about the amount of steel cut oats to cook. I tried
>making extra because it takes so much longer to cook and I figured I
>could just reheat it a serving at a time. The problem for me is that I
>just don't like it as much when it has been reheated. I have done it in
>a pan on the burner and in the microwave. Neither way is acceptable.
>However, I am starting to wonder if I could coll it in a pan and fry
>slices of it like you can do with grits or polenta.

I make one cup, which is 2 large servings. So I reheat mine on the
stovetop (heavy saucepan, low heat) adding just a smidge of water to
it and AFAIC it's fine. My grandfather used to make them in a double
boiler at night, then reheat gently the next morning. They coagulate
well enough to be fried, but I can't imagine it. Let me know how it
turns out if you ever do try it.

>As for oatmeal in pancakes..... I realize that your question was about
>using it in pancakes. FWIW, you can add some quick cooking oatmeal to
>pancake batter, let it sit for a while and then cook it the way you
>would regular pancakes. They taste great and there is a slight texture
>difference.... but a good one.

I liked the idea of using up extra oatmeal in pancakes the following
day vs making it specifically for pancakes. I will try it this week.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> What do you do with steel-cut oats, other than make them into
> breakfast porridge? I like them that way, but they must be good for
> SOMETHING else.

Oat bread...!!!

:-)

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-01-25, sf > wrote:

> How long do you cook them, Wayne, 10 minutes or all the way?

.....all the way being about 3 days.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 20:48:23 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>sf wrote:
>
>>> I often use a little leftover oatmeal porridge in pancake batter. I
>>> adjust the amount of flour but use the same amount of salt and baking
>>> powder, then add the oatmeal to the liquid first to get it well stirred
>>> up. Sometimes I have to add a little liquid or flour to get the right
>>> consistency. I cook them the same amount of time as for pancakes. The
>>> oatmeal is already cooked.

>> Thanks for the technique, Dave. I purposely make too much steel cut
>> oatmeal because it reheats so well. Oatmeal pancakes are coming soon
>> to my house!

>I am in a bind about the amount of steel cut oats to cook. I tried
>making extra because it takes so much longer to cook and I figured I
>could just reheat it a serving at a time. The problem for me is that I
>just don't like it as much when it has been reheated. I have done it in
>a pan on the burner and in the microwave. Neither way is acceptable.
>However, I am starting to wonder if I could coll it in a pan and fry
>slices of it like you can do with grits or polenta.

I make mine the day before. It takes less time than rolled oats.

I put about a cup of oats in a bowl, cover with double the amount of
water from the instant hot (about 180 degrees), zap in microwave for
30 seconds, cover, and put in frig. The next morning, they are ready
to eat. I just add milk, raisins, or whatever and heat in the
microwave.

If you don't like your reheated, you may not like this method. I
usually make enough for 2-3 meals, keeping the unused portion in the
frig and reheating. I can't tell the difference.

Once or twice, when I forgot to make them the day before, I have done
the above, but left them on the counter instead of putting them in the
frig. They are ready in about 30-40 minutes, maybe a bit longer, I
don't recall exactly.

I think the cooking time can also be speeded up by just soaking them
overnight in the frig. Maybe that would be better.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 13:19:13 -0500, James Silverton wrote:

> There's no requirement that the oats be steel-cut for Atholl Brose but,
> to tell the truth, I don't like it much, even made traditionally with
> heather honey and Scotch. Anyway, not all brose is Atholl Brose! It's
> just oatmeal soaked in boiling water for half an hour or so.
> Originally, shepherds and Highland warriors would carry oatmeal mixed
> with water as food. I quite like rolled oats mixed with raisins; no
> liquid at all!

oats: grain, which in England is generally given to horses, but in
Scotland supports the people.

your pal,
sam
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> I am in a bind about the amount of steel cut oats to cook. I tried
> making extra because it takes so much longer to cook and I figured I
> could just reheat it a serving at a time. The problem for me is that I
> just don't like it as much when it has been reheated.

My wife lifes to make a cup of dried oats at a time so it's a 4 day
supply for one of us or a 2 day supply for both of us. The first day it
is better than any rolled oats. The second day it's about as good as
maybe Quick Oats which are between traditional Rolled Oats and Instant
Oats.

So how good do you want it? It's easy to make but work to clean up the
pan.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:
> Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>>
>> What do you do with steel-cut oats, other than make them into breakfast
>> porridge? I like them that way, but they must be good for SOMETHING else.

> I'd bet they'd make a good fish soup.

I bet any soup that uses pearl barley will work fine with steel cut
oats. I thought of a bean soup recipe where the navy/white beans were
put through a mill to remove their skins and reduce them to paste then
tomatoes and onions and barley was added for texture and flavor.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Freyburger wrote:

> So how good do you want it? It's easy to make but work to clean up the
> pan.

My natural tendency to procrastinate led me to an interesting discovery.
If you try to clean up oatmeal while it is hot or after it has cooled in
the pan it tends to stick a bit. If you put a tight fitting top on it
and let it sit the oatmeal comes off very easily. It is a curious thing,
but it makes clean-up a lot easier.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 15:17:38 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>Doug Freyburger wrote:
>
>> So how good do you want it? It's easy to make but work to clean up the
>> pan.

>My natural tendency to procrastinate led me to an interesting discovery.
>If you try to clean up oatmeal while it is hot or after it has cooled in
>the pan it tends to stick a bit. If you put a tight fitting top on it
>and let it sit the oatmeal comes off very easily. It is a curious thing,
>but it makes clean-up a lot easier.

Yes, if you let it sit and congeal - it literally peels off in one
piece.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> What do you do with steel-cut oats, other than make them into breakfast
> porridge? I like them that way, but they must be good for SOMETHING else.
>
> Bob

From an old post of mine. Very tasty, keeps well. I brought 10 loaves
to a large weekend gathering, and the early risers had it as toast every
morning.

from Bernard Clayton's New Complete Book of Breads.

Scotch Oatmeal Bread
1 cup boiling water
1 cup steel cut oats
Mix together. Add:
1/2 C all-purp flour
2 T. brown sugar
1 package dry yeast
Stir well, cover with plastic wrap, leave until morning (10 hrs.)
Stir down, and add:
1 C warm water
1/4 t. ground ginger
1 t. salt
1/2 nonfat dry milk. (I use non-instant which is denser than reg. Crush
the fluffly granules of the instant kind before measuring)
3 T soft butter
3 T maple syrup
2 C all purp flour.
Blend with a spoon for 150 strokes or mix it well with a KA. Add:
1/2 C at a time more all-purp flour until kneadable, or dough-hookable.
Knead until elastic. Place in greased bowl, cover and let double. Punch
down, divide into two or three balls...8x4 baking pans for 3 and 9x5 for
2...
Roll out into rectangles, sprinkle with maple sugar or brown sugar
(1/4 cup total) and cinnamon (2 T total...I use the 'true cinnamon').
Roll up tightly, tuck ends under and pinch shut. Place in buttered pans
and brush top with butter
Let double. Bake 350 F about an hour.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> As soon as I have served the oatmeal (no matter the variety), I fill the
> pan with cold water, cover it, and leave it in the sink. The residue
> literally pours out with the water when it's time to clean the pan. No
> scrubbing at all.

I have found that I don't even need to add water unless I made a small
amount enough that they is no waste. Just putting the lid on the pot
while it is still warm and sitting on the counter something happens in
that pot that makes the oatmeal cohere and it all comes out in one
piece. No rinsing or scouring necessary.

I am eating Cream of wheat these days and it doesn't seem to work as
well for that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 03:55:39 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>Try as I might, I cannot gag down Cream of Wheat,

I love that stuff!

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

sf wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 03:55:39 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
> >Try as I might, I cannot gag down Cream of Wheat,

> I love that stuff!

What about grits instead???

Sky, who now ducks & runs!!!! (giggles)

P.S. Don't forget the bacon or sausage (or whatever else)!

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Try as I might, I cannot gag down Cream of Wheat, although it's a nice
> additional ingredient to pancake batter. IHOP used to serve a version that
> included it. They were very light.

I like Cream of Wheat. I started eating it for breakfast instead of
oatmeal and find it a lot easier on my system. Tit helps to have a
sweetener with flavour, like really dark brown sugar or syrup, and to
have only a tiny amount of milk or cream on it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sky wrote:
> sf wrote:
>> On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 03:55:39 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Try as I might, I cannot gag down Cream of Wheat,

>> I love that stuff!

> What about grits instead???
>
> Sky, who now ducks & runs!!!! (giggles)

I never had grits until I was about 45. I liked them.... but I like
Cream of Wheat and IMO they are similar.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 10:13:11 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>Sky wrote:
>> sf wrote:
>>> On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 03:55:39 GMT, Wayne Boatwright

>>> I love that stuff!

>> What about grits instead???
>>
>> Sky, who now ducks & runs!!!! (giggles)
>>

>I never had grits until I was about 45. I liked them.... but I like
>Cream of Wheat and IMO they are similar.

There's no similarity whatsoever... cream of wheat is a brown cereal,
grits a white cereal... cream of wheat tastes of um, whole wheat....
grits tastes of hominy (actually the correct term is HOMINY grits),
really hasn't much flavor of it's own, grits is pretty bland.
Cream of rice is somewhat similar to grits but definitely not cream of
wheat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 10:12:11 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>I like Cream of Wheat. I started eating it for breakfast instead of
>oatmeal and find it a lot easier on my system. Tit helps to have a
>sweetener with flavour, like really dark brown sugar or syrup, and to
>have only a tiny amount of milk or cream on it.

Of course! That's not the chicken's way of eating it, that's the
natural way. I do the same thing with oatmeal. Have you ever tried
wheat germ on top of hot cereal? It's good! I like Honey Crunch it's
sweeter and crunchier than regular.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

brooklyn1 wrote:

>> I never had grits until I was about 45. I liked them.... but I like
>> Cream of Wheat and IMO they are similar.

> There's no similarity whatsoever... cream of wheat is a brown cereal,
> grits a white cereal... cream of wheat tastes of um, whole wheat....
> grits tastes of hominy (actually the correct term is HOMINY grits),
> really hasn't much flavor of it's own, grits is pretty bland.

WTF are you talking about? Do you even know what Cream of Wheat is? It
is white, not brown. Okay.... slightly off white, but it sure as hell is
not brown. Maybe you are confusing the colour of Cream of Wheat with the
colour of the guy on the front of the box.

Cream of Wheat is made from farina, which is made from the germ and
endosperm of wheat. The bran is removed.

> Cream of rice is somewhat similar to grits but definitely not cream of
> wheat.

My limited experience with grits is that it looked like Cream of Wheat
and the taste was similar..... bland.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 10:12:11 -0500, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>> I like Cream of Wheat. I started eating it for breakfast instead of
>> oatmeal and find it a lot easier on my system. Tit helps to have a
>> sweetener with flavour, like really dark brown sugar or syrup, and to
>> have only a tiny amount of milk or cream on it.

> Of course! That's not the chicken's way of eating it, that's the
> natural way. I do the same thing with oatmeal. Have you ever tried
> wheat germ on top of hot cereal? It's good! I like Honey Crunch it's
> sweeter and crunchier than regular.

I tend to use more (brown) sugar on Cream of Wheat than I do on oatmeal
because it is blander. I find oatmeal to be much more flavourful and
sweeter, so it does not require as much added flavour and sweetness.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message

>>> I like Cream of Wheat. I started eating it for breakfast instead of
>>> oatmeal and find it a lot easier on my system. Tit helps to have a
>>> sweetener with flavour, like really dark brown sugar or syrup, and to
>>> have only a tiny amount of milk or cream on it.

This may sound strange, but I like my CoW with salt instead of sugar.

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Felice wrote on Thu, 28 Jan 2010 14:52:17 -0500:

> This may sound strange, but I like my CoW with salt instead of
> sugar.

You know, that might work well! I find sweetened oatmeal porridge
disgusting but I can eat it with just a littloe salt.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message

>> This may sound strange, but I like my CoW with salt instead of
>> sugar.

> You know, that might work well! I find sweetened oatmeal porridge
> disgusting but I can eat it with just a littloe salt.

Interesting. I've never tried salt on oatmeal, only on CoW. I'll give it a
go.

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Felice" wrote:

>This may sound strange, but I like my CoW with salt instead of sugar.
>
>Felice

No reason you can't use salt and sweetener (one doesn't preclude the
other), I always add salt to the cereal cooking water. I prefer honey
as a sweetner for cereals, hot or cold... with hot cereal I usually
add butter to the cooking water and sometimes to the cereal in the
bowl too, sometimes dried fruit, sometimes cinnamon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:

> Felice wrote on Thu, 28 Jan 2010 14:52:17 -0500:

> > This may sound strange, but I like my CoW with salt instead of
> > sugar.

> You know, that might work well! I find sweetened oatmeal porridge
> disgusting but I can eat it with just a littloe salt.

I put salt in the oatmeal when I cook it, and brown sugar on top.

Brian

--
Day 360 of the "no grouchy usenet posts" project
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>

>> As soon as I have served the oatmeal (no matter the variety), I fill
>> the pan with cold water, cover it, and leave it in the sink. The
>> residue literally pours out with the water when it's time to clean the
>> pan. No scrubbing at all.

> I have found that I don't even need to add water unless I made a small
> amount enough that they is no waste. Just putting the lid on the pot
> while it is still warm and sitting on the counter something happens in
> that pot that makes the oatmeal cohere and it all comes out in one
> piece. No rinsing or scouring necessary.
>
> I am eating Cream of wheat these days and it doesn't seem to work as
> well for that.

If you grease the inside of the pot lightly before boiling, the oats
will not stick.

EJ in NJ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Default User" > wrote in message

> James Silverton wrote:
>
>> Felice wrote on Thu, 28 Jan 2010 14:52:17 -0500:

>>> This may sound strange, but I like my CoW with salt instead of
>>> sugar.

>> You know, that might work well! I find sweetened oatmeal porridge
>> disgusting but I can eat it with just a littloe salt.

> I put salt in the oatmeal when I cook it, and brown sugar on top.

Yes, many people do use sugar, syrup or molasses after cooking but
that's what I don't like.

--
Jim Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:

> "Default User" > wrote in message
>
> > James Silverton wrote:

> > > You know, that might work well! I find sweetened oatmeal porridge
> > > disgusting but I can eat it with just a littloe salt.

> > I put salt in the oatmeal when I cook it, and brown sugar on top.
> >

> Yes, many people do use sugar, syrup or molasses after cooking but
> that's what I don't like.

Of course. I had meant to indicate that sugar and salt weren't an "or"
situation. I believe, from something Scottish-American TV cheeky
moneyboy Craig Ferguson said, porridge with salt is the traditional
Scottish way of eating it.

Brian

--
Day 360 of the "no grouchy usenet posts" project

What do you know about steel cut oats? sf[_9_] General Cooking 19 19-12-2012 09:06 AM
Other uses for steel-cut oats? Terry[_3_] General Cooking 4 25-08-2009 05:12 PM
Steel Cut Oats Jean B. General Cooking 21 22-07-2005 08:17 PM
steel cut oats notbob General Cooking 36 10-07-2005 03:41 PM
Steel cut oats zxcvbob General Cooking 10 13-03-2005 10:19 PM