Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What do you know about steel cut oats?

I was thumbing through recipes in the Fortnum & Mason cookbook called
Honey and Preserves this morning and came across a recipe for
"Parkin". I had to Google an image, but American Google thought I'd
misspelled Parking even though I added "dessert" after it. Maybe it's
not a dessert/pudding because the section is called "Bakes".

In any case, one of the ingredients is "Pinhead" steel oats, which
according to Google is larger than coarse. Did you know steel oats
come in sizes? I thought there's only one size and you get what you
get. I've never seen any indication of size on the boxes and I've
never seen a choice of size in the bulk section. So, I called two
grocery stores with bulk sections that stock steel oats. One of them
went to the back to check the bag the steel oats come in and there was
no indication of size on it. IOW they don't know any more than I do.

I have Irish Style steel cut oats on hand, which don't look anything
like regular steel cut oats - but I think I'll use what I have since
what I can buy isn't the right type either.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> I was thumbing through recipes in the Fortnum& Mason cookbook called
> Honey and Preserves this morning and came across a recipe for
> "Parkin". I had to Google an image, but American Google thought I'd
> misspelled Parking even though I added "dessert" after it. Maybe it's
> not a dessert/pudding because the section is called "Bakes".
>
> In any case, one of the ingredients is "Pinhead" steel oats, which
> according to Google is larger than coarse. Did you know steel oats
> come in sizes? I thought there's only one size and you get what you
> get. I've never seen any indication of size on the boxes and I've
> never seen a choice of size in the bulk section. So, I called two
> grocery stores with bulk sections that stock steel oats. One of them
> went to the back to check the bag the steel oats come in and there was
> no indication of size on it. IOW they don't know any more than I do.
>
> I have Irish Style steel cut oats on hand, which don't look anything
> like regular steel cut oats - but I think I'll use what I have since
> what I can buy isn't the right type either.

Your Irish-style oats are pinhead oats. Scottish-style oats are cut more
thinly. I have no idea what you mean by "regular steel cut oats."

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> I was thumbing through recipes in the Fortnum & Mason cookbook called
> Honey and Preserves this morning and came across a recipe for
> "Parkin". I had to Google an image, but American Google thought I'd
> misspelled Parking even though I added "dessert" after it. Maybe it's
> not a dessert/pudding because the section is called "Bakes".
>
> In any case, one of the ingredients is "Pinhead" steel oats, which
> according to Google is larger than coarse. Did you know steel oats
> come in sizes? I thought there's only one size and you get what you
> get. I've never seen any indication of size on the boxes and I've
> never seen a choice of size in the bulk section. So, I called two
> grocery stores with bulk sections that stock steel oats. One of them
> went to the back to check the bag the steel oats come in and there was
> no indication of size on it. IOW they don't know any more than I do.
>
> I have Irish Style steel cut oats on hand, which don't look anything
> like regular steel cut oats - but I think I'll use what I have since
> what I can buy isn't the right type either.

There's an episode of "Good Eats" that was devoted to this (oats in
great detail) - don't know if it's available online but I believe your
question is answered therein.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, December 18, 2012 12:06:13 PM UTC-7, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Dec 2012 10:48:42 -0800, sf wrote:
>

> > I was thumbing through recipes in the Fortnum & Mason cookbook called

> > Honey and Preserves this morning and came across a recipe for

> > "Parkin". I had to Google an image, but American Google thought I'd

> > misspelled Parking even though I added "dessert" after it. Maybe it's

> > not a dessert/pudding because the section is called "Bakes".

> http://www.google.com/#hl=en&tbo=d&s...dessert+recipe
>

> Gee. that was hard.
>

> -sw

This might be a better URL than Squertzy Wertzy's.

http://www.yummly.com/recipes/parkin-oats

===============
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, December 18, 2012 12:42:03 PM UTC-7, Roy wrote:
> On Tuesday, December 18, 2012 12:06:13 PM UTC-7, Sqwertz wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 18 Dec 2012 10:48:42 -0800, sf wrote:

> > > I was thumbing through recipes in the Fortnum & Mason cookbook called

> > > Honey and Preserves this morning and came across a recipe for

> > > "Parkin". I had to Google an image, but American Google thought I'd

> > > misspelled Parking even though I added "dessert" after it. Maybe it's

> > > not a dessert/pudding because the section is called "Bakes".

> > http://www.google.com/#hl=en&tbo=d&s...dessert+recipe

> > Gee. that was hard.

> > -sw

> This might be a better URL than Squertzy Wertzy's.
>

> http://www.yummly.com/recipes/parkin-oats
>

> ===============

Or this on types of oats...lots of info I didn't know before.

http://homecooking.about.com/od/howt...tmealtypes.htm

===============

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 Dec 2012 14:40:01 -0500, "Steve Freides" >
wrote:

> sf wrote:
> > I was thumbing through recipes in the Fortnum & Mason cookbook called
> > Honey and Preserves this morning and came across a recipe for
> > "Parkin". I had to Google an image, but American Google thought I'd
> > misspelled Parking even though I added "dessert" after it. Maybe it's
> > not a dessert/pudding because the section is called "Bakes".
> >
> > In any case, one of the ingredients is "Pinhead" steel oats, which
> > according to Google is larger than coarse. Did you know steel oats
> > come in sizes? I thought there's only one size and you get what you
> > get. I've never seen any indication of size on the boxes and I've
> > never seen a choice of size in the bulk section. So, I called two
> > grocery stores with bulk sections that stock steel oats. One of them
> > went to the back to check the bag the steel oats come in and there was
> > no indication of size on it. IOW they don't know any more than I do.
> >
> > I have Irish Style steel cut oats on hand, which don't look anything
> > like regular steel cut oats - but I think I'll use what I have since
> > what I can buy isn't the right type either.

> There's an episode of "Good Eats" that was devoted to this (oats in
> great detail) - don't know if it's available online but I believe your
> question is answered therein.

That's okay, Wikipedia answered my question.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, December 18, 2012 3:12:35 PM UTC-5, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Dec 2012 14:40:01 -0500, "Steve Freides" >
>
> wrote:
>

> > sf wrote:

> > > I was thumbing through recipes in the Fortnum & Mason cookbook called

> > > Honey and Preserves this morning and came across a recipe for

> > > "Parkin". I had to Google an image, but American Google thought I'd

> > > misspelled Parking even though I added "dessert" after it. Maybe it's

> > > not a dessert/pudding because the section is called "Bakes".

> > > In any case, one of the ingredients is "Pinhead" steel oats, which

> > > according to Google is larger than coarse. Did you know steel oats

> > > come in sizes? I thought there's only one size and you get what you

> > > get. I've never seen any indication of size on the boxes and I've

> > > never seen a choice of size in the bulk section. So, I called two

> > > grocery stores with bulk sections that stock steel oats. One of them

> > > went to the back to check the bag the steel oats come in and there was

> > > no indication of size on it. IOW they don't know any more than I do.

> > > I have Irish Style steel cut oats on hand, which don't look anything

> > > like regular steel cut oats - but I think I'll use what I have since

> > > what I can buy isn't the right type either.

> > There's an episode of "Good Eats" that was devoted to this (oats in

> > great detail) - don't know if it's available online but I believe your

> > question is answered therein.

> That's okay, Wikipedia answered my question.
>

> --
>
> Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

Then why ask here, ****nut?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 Dec 2012 11:17:00 -0800, Bob Terwilliger
> wrote:
>
> Your Irish-style oats are pinhead oats.

Yes, I found that out a few minutes ago when I googled for the
difference between Irish and Scottish style steel cut oats. Thanks!
I probably should have Facebooked this to you instead, because you
always seem to know the answer!

> Scottish-style oats are cut more thinly.

Not IMO. I don't have any regular cut steel oats on hand to compare
side by side at the moment, but Irish style looks like little
cylinders and the other type is the same diameter only chopped up.
Google also told me that steel cut oats come in different sizes, so
maybe you have experience with a finer cut than I do - but I've never
seen a notation about size anywhere.

> I have no idea what you mean by "regular steel cut oats."

Me either. I called two places that sell it in bulk and they have no
notations anywhere about what size they sell and had no idea that it
comes in various sizes... so apparently we just stock one of them over
here; hence my term "regular". I'm not talking about stone ground,
just steel cut.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 Dec 2012 12:14:22 -0800 (PST), wrote:

> Then why ask here, ****nut?

Finally, part of one word is focused on food. Of the two of us,
you're the most useless. So I vote you leave.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 Dec 2012 11:42:03 -0800 (PST), Roy >
wrote:

> On Tuesday, December 18, 2012 12:06:13 PM UTC-7, Sqwertz wrote:
> > On Tue, 18 Dec 2012 10:48:42 -0800, sf wrote:
> >

> > > I was thumbing through recipes in the Fortnum & Mason cookbook called

> > > Honey and Preserves this morning and came across a recipe for

> > > "Parkin". I had to Google an image, but American Google thought I'd

> > > misspelled Parking even though I added "dessert" after it. Maybe it's

> > > not a dessert/pudding because the section is called "Bakes".

> > http://www.google.com/#hl=en&tbo=d&s...dessert+recipe
> >

> > Gee. that was hard.
> >

> > -sw

> This might be a better URL than Squertzy Wertzy's.
>
> http://www.yummly.com/recipes/parkin-oats

Steve has serious reading comprehension problems. He's probably
hitting the sauce again. I didn't say I couldn't find a recipe, only
that Google changed the spelling on me (and "automatic" is turned off
on my browser).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, December 18, 2012 7:12:03 PM UTC-7, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Dec 2012 13:32:22 -0800, sf wrote:
>

> > On Tue, 18 Dec 2012 11:42:03 -0800 (PST), Roy >

> > wrote:

> >> This might be a better URL than Squertzy Wertzy's.

> >> http://www.yummly.com/recipes/parkin-oats

> > Steve has serious reading comprehension problems.

> As anybody reading this can plainly see, I understood you perfectly
>
> dear. You couldn't Google it because your search engine skills suck
>
> royally.
>

> You're welcome, BTW.
>

> And Roy, <shaking head>, I can't always count on you to follow me
>
> around making sure that Barbara sees my posts behind her killfile.
>

> Sheeeeit. Between Roy and Barbara, I could sell my house and move
>
> into their heads and stay there rent free! I'm virtually living there
>
> most of the time anyway, and there sure seems to be plenty of room in
>
> there.
>

> -sw

So I suggested another URL...what was so "BAD" about that? Jeez, I didn't even insult you or call you an idiot or any of those nasty things that others do.
======
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message

> I was thumbing through recipes in the Fortnum & Mason cookbook called
> Honey and Preserves this morning and came across a recipe for
> "Parkin". I had to Google an image, but American Google thought I'd
> misspelled Parking even though I added "dessert" after it. Maybe it's
> not a dessert/pudding because the section is called "Bakes".

I'd suggest you go to google in the UK and do a search there because you'll
get a better hit rate. These days Google is different in each country and
so returns different hits:
http://www.google.co.uk/

I get millions of hits when I do a search for 'parkin' with or without
adding 'oats'

> In any case, one of the ingredients is "Pinhead" steel oats, which
> according to Google is larger than coarse. Did you know steel oats
> come in sizes? I thought there's only one size and you get what you
> get. I've never seen any indication of size on the boxes and I've
> never seen a choice of size in the bulk section. So, I called two
> grocery stores with bulk sections that stock steel oats. One of them
> went to the back to check the bag the steel oats come in and there was
> no indication of size on it. IOW they don't know any more than I do.
>
> I have Irish Style steel cut oats on hand, which don't look anything
> like regular steel cut oats - but I think I'll use what I have since
> what I can buy isn't the right type either.

I've heard references to steel cut oats but had no idea that there was
anything called 'steel oats'. I thought it was about how the oats went from
being a harvested grain into a product that was oats based.

I'll read this thread with interest.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 18 Dec 2012 12:14:22 -0800 (PST), wrote:
>

>> Then why ask here, ****nut?

> Finally, part of one word is focused on food.

:-)) You're right. That is the first post I recall from medavis that does
have any food in it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 Dec 2012 19:22:11 -0800 (PST), Roy >
wrote:

> On Tuesday, December 18, 2012 7:12:03 PM UTC-7, Sqwertz wrote:
> > On Tue, 18 Dec 2012 13:32:22 -0800, sf wrote:

> > > Steve has serious reading comprehension problems.

> > As anybody reading this can plainly see, I understood you perfectly
> >
> > dear. You couldn't Google it because your search engine skills suck
> >
> > royally.
> >

> > You're welcome, BTW.
> >

> > And Roy, <shaking head>, I can't always count on you to follow me
> >
> > around making sure that Barbara sees my posts behind her killfile.
> >

> > Sheeeeit. Between Roy and Barbara, I could sell my house and move
> >
> > into their heads and stay there rent free! I'm virtually living there
> >
> > most of the time anyway, and there sure seems to be plenty of room in
> >
> > there.
> >

> > -sw

> So I suggested another URL...what was so "BAD" about that? Jeez, I didn't even insult you or call you an idiot or any of those nasty things that others do.
> ======

His reading comprehension still sucks because even after repeating
myself, he still can't understand that I had *no problem* finding out
what Parkin was. My comment was about Google insisting I'd spelled
the word wrong, but his addled brain can't seem to wrap itself around
that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, December 18, 2012 11:40:54 PM UTC-7, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Dec 2012 19:22:11 -0800 (PST), Roy >
>
> wrote:

> > > As anybody reading this can plainly see, I understood you perfectly

> > > dear. You couldn't Google it because your search engine skills suck

> > > royally.

> > > You're welcome, BTW.

> > > And Roy, <shaking head>, I can't always count on you to follow me

> > > around making sure that Barbara sees my posts behind her killfile.

> > > Sheeeeit. Between Roy and Barbara, I could sell my house and move

> > > into their heads and stay there rent free! I'm virtually living there

> > > most of the time anyway, and there sure seems to be plenty of room in

> > > there.

> > > -sw

> > So I suggested another URL...what was so "BAD" about that? Jeez, I didn't even insult you or call you an idiot or any of those nasty things that others do.

> > ======

> His reading comprehension still sucks because even after repeating
>
> myself, he still can't understand that I had *no problem* finding out
>
> what Parkin was. My comment was about Google insisting I'd spelled
>
> the word wrong, but his addled brain can't seem to wrap itself around
>
> that.
>

> Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

I've had a few problems with Google doing the same thing even when I put
quotes around what I was searching for. I even had to switch to Bing once
because Google was so insistent that my spelling was WRONG. Oh well, different
strokes as they say...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 19 Dec 2012 01:22:14 -0600, Pinky's Brain >
wrote:

> Get some medication, Barbara. If I'm going to live in your brain I'm
> gonna need some hard drugs.

Goodness gracious. Think about it. You're not living in my brain,
but I'm planed firmly in yours. I'm not the one who needed to morph,
it was you. You're transposing your weaknesses onto others and hoping
that if you repeat it enough everyone will believe you. Dream on pal.
You can't stay away and you're too weak to resist me for very long.
Dance, Steve, dance!

Steel-Cut Oats Bob Terwilliger[_1_] General Cooking 149 08-02-2010 05:53 PM
Other uses for steel-cut oats? Terry[_3_] General Cooking 4 25-08-2009 05:12 PM
Steel Cut Oats Jean B. General Cooking 21 22-07-2005 08:17 PM
steel cut oats notbob General Cooking 36 10-07-2005 03:41 PM
Steel cut oats zxcvbob General Cooking 10 13-03-2005 09:19 PM