Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sunday food facts + some extras

Did you know..........

That almonds are a member of the peach family?

That Swedish people drink more coffee than any other race in the world?

ThatAmerican Airlines saved $40,000 in 1987 by eliminating *one* olive
from each salad served in 1st class?

That the microwave was invented after a researcher walked past a radar
tube, and a chocolate bar melted in his pocket?

That cats can hear ultrasound?

That months that begin with a Sunday will always have a "Friday the 13th"?

That the average person falls asleep in seven minutes?

That it takes 20 seconds for a red blood cell to circle the whole body?

That Sigmund Freud had a morbid fear of ferns?

That because of the Earths rotation, an object can be thrown farther if it
is thrown *west*?

That in England, the Speaker of the House is not allowed to speak?

That Winston Churchill was born in a 'ladies room' during a dance?

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Edmund Burke.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

PeterL1 wrote:
> Did you know..........
>

> That in England, the Speaker of the House is not allowed to speak?

Define "speak" obviously the Speaker fulfills an administrative function
that requires the speaker to "speak" and that from a rather
uncomfortable wool sack iirc.

> That Winston Churchill was born in a 'ladies room' during a dance?

If by "ladies room" you mean a toilet room set aside only for "ladies"
Blenhiem palace don't have "ladies rooms" (at least at the time of
Churchill's birth there) though the lack of plumbing at
Blenhieam and the use of the chaise percee or chamber pot could qualify
any room they are used in by a lady as a 'ladies room'.
--
Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.
Let the games begin!
http://fredeeky.typepad.com/fredeeky.../sf_anthem.mp3

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq." > wrote in news:4B52496A.90508
@isp.com:

> PeterL1 wrote:
>> Did you know..........
>>

>> That in England, the Speaker of the House is not allowed to speak?
>>

> Define "speak" obviously the Speaker fulfills an administrative function
> that requires the speaker to "speak" and that from a rather
> uncomfortable wool sack iirc.

"The speaker in the House of Commons is the chairman. His/her role is to keep
the debate flowing and to make sure that people get the chance to have a say
in a debate and that the rules of debate and behaviour are adhered to. In
other words no name calling etc.

The speaker is supposed to be impartial, even though he/she is a member of
one of the political parties, and so they do not get to give their own
opinions on the debate. (hence, not being able "to speak")

However the speaker does speak. They will call out the names of the MP's (or
at least their constituency) when he (or she) is telling them that it is
their turn to speak and the speaker will tell off MPs for bad behaviour. The
speaker can have MP's ejected from the house if they persistently break the
rules. "

>> That Winston Churchill was born in a 'ladies room' during a dance?
>>

> If by "ladies room" you mean a toilet room set aside only for "ladies"
> Blenhiem palace don't have "ladies rooms" (at least at the time of
> Churchill's birth there) though the lack of plumbing at
> Blenhieam and the use of the chaise percee or chamber pot could qualify
> any room they are used in by a lady as a 'ladies room'.

"Ladies Room" also equates to a cloak room, poweder room, somewhere where the
ladies can go to 'smarten up'.

In this case, looking into it further, it appears that it was indeed a cloak
room.

http://www.snopes.com/history/world/churchill.asp

Very interesting to read about him being born "prematurely"!!! LOL!!

He was a full term baby...... his mother had a gutful of arms and legs when
she was standing at the alter :-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Edmund Burke.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

PeterL1 wrote:

> "Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq." wrote in news:4B52496A.90508
> @isp.com:
>

> >PeterL1 wrote:
> >
> >>Did you know..........
> >>

> >>That in England, the Speaker of the House is not allowed to speak?
> >>

> >Define "speak" obviously the Speaker fulfills an administrative function
> >that requires the speaker to "speak" and that from a rather
> >uncomfortable wool sack iirc.

> "The speaker in the House of Commons is the chairman. His/her role is
> to keep
> the debate flowing and to make sure that people get the chance to have
> a say
> in a debate and that the rules of debate and behaviour are adhered to. In
> other words no name calling etc.
>
> The speaker is supposed to be impartial, even though he/she is a
> member of
> one of the political parties, and so they do not get to give their own
> opinions on the debate. (hence, not being able "to speak")
>
> However the speaker does speak. They will call out the names of the
> MP's (or
> at least their constituency) when he (or she) is telling them that it is
> their turn to speak and the speaker will tell off MPs for bad
> behaviour. The
> speaker can have MP's ejected from the house if they persistently
> break the
> rules. "
>

> >>That Winston Churchill was born in a 'ladies room' during a dance?
> >>

> >If by "ladies room" you mean a toilet room set aside only for "ladies"
> >Blenhiem palace don't have "ladies rooms" (at least at the time of
> >Churchill's birth there) though the lack of plumbing at
> >Blenhieam and the use of the chaise percee or chamber pot could qualify
> >any room they are used in by a lady as a 'ladies room'.

> "Ladies Room" also equates to a cloak room, poweder room, somewhere
> where the
> ladies can go to 'smarten up'.
>
> In this case, looking into it further, it appears that it was indeed a
> cloak
> room.

> http://www.snopes.com/history/world/churchill.asp

Did you read the whole page, i.e. "the signulalry bleak bed room at
Blenhiem" a bed room in the private living quaters of the family. And
that only cause he was premature, they expected her to give birth in the
London home Churchills father had purchased.

> Very interesting to read about him being born "prematurely"!!! LOL!!
>
> He was a full term baby...... his mother had a gutful of arms and legs
> when
> she was standing at the alter :-)

Not necessarily, and somewhat imporbable. Though shortly thereafter, he
was lucky to live being born 7 & 1/2 months after the marriage

Howevermuch his father, the Duke of Marlebouroughs 2nd son Lord Randolph
was a 'rake' that led a 'rickety' life style in ninteenth century London
his American mother Jenny was a typcal "Good Girl" of the period. And
as such higly unlikely to have been able or willing to engage in full
blown premarital coitus, even if they could have been alone together
long enough for it to have happened.

It was essentialy an arranged marriage iirc. Lord Randolphs elder
brother made a similar arrangment with the American Vanderbilt heiress
"Consuelo".
--

Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.
Let the games begin!
http://fredeeky.typepad.com/fredeeky.../sf_anthem.mp3

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq." > wrote in
:

> Not necessarily, and somewhat imporbable. Though shortly thereafter,
> he was lucky to live being born 7 & 1/2 months after the marriage

I have a very interesting book called Mere Mortals - Diseases of the
famous: diagnosing historical maladies from the present day. There's a
chapter on Churchill which briefly mentions his prematurity, noting that
his birthweight was 3.2 kilograms or 7 pounds. Fair size for a baby that,
if conceived after marriage, could be at most 7 and a half months
gestation.

--
Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

Core of my heart, my country! Land of the rainbow gold,
For flood and fire and famine she pays us back threefold.
My Country, Dorothea MacKellar, 1904

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Rhonda Anderson > wrote in
.5:

> "Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq." > wrote in
> :
>

>> Not necessarily, and somewhat imporbable. Though shortly thereafter,
>> he was lucky to live being born 7 & 1/2 months after the marriage

> I have a very interesting book called Mere Mortals - Diseases of the
> famous: diagnosing historical maladies from the present day. There's a
> chapter on Churchill which briefly mentions his prematurity, noting that
> his birthweight was 3.2 kilograms or 7 pounds. Fair size for a baby

that,
> if conceived after marriage, could be at most 7 and a half months
> gestation.

LOL!! :-)

Which is why he was a full term baby.

William Manchester's The Last Lion also suggested Winston's "premature"
birth was a fiction promulgated to obscure a pre-wedding pregnancy, a ruse
that supposedly fooled no one:
Another admission, which [the bride] preferred to keep from her husband's
family, was that she was bearing their grandchild. Indeed it is virtually
certain that she had been pregnant for three months, and soon it would
begin to show . . . Premature? The Times bought it. At the head of its
birth notices it reported: "On the 30th Nov., at Blenheim Palace, the Lady
Randolph Churchill, prematurely, of a son." But no one believed it, not
the patrician friends of the family, chuckling over the announcement, nor
even the yeomen of Woodstock, who, the Oxford Times reported, rang "a
merry peal on the church bells . . . in honour of the event." Winston was
full-term. It was generally believed that sometime the previous February,
during the maddening negotiations over the marriage settlement, Jennie had
eluded her mother, divested herself of the incredible layers of clothing
then worn by young ladies, and received Randolph's seed. Indeed, it was
thought the duke and duchess had known Jennie was pregnant at the time of
the wedding; that was why they had boycotted it. Sly allusions to the
circumstances of his birth followed Winston all his life.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Edmund Burke.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Subject: Sunday food facts + some extras
From: PeterL >
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking

Rhonda Anderson > wrote in
.5:

> "Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq." > wrote in
> :
>

>> Not necessarily, and somewhat imporbable. Though shortly thereafter,
>> he was lucky to live being born 7 & 1/2 months after the marriage

> I have a very interesting book called Mere Mortals - Diseases of the
> famous: diagnosing historical maladies from the present day. There's a
> chapter on Churchill which briefly mentions his prematurity, noting that
> his birthweight was 3.2 kilograms or 7 pounds. Fair size for a baby

that,
> if conceived after marriage, could be at most 7 and a half months
> gestation.

GUFFAW!! :-)

Which is why he was a full term president.

Ralph Wiggum's The Last Wookie also suggested Winston's "premature"
ejaculation was a fiction promulgated to obscure a pre-wedding
presidency, a ruse
[...]
circumcisions of his afterbirth followed Winston all his life.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

If we are not meant to eat dick,
why are they made of meat?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 18, 1:44*am, PeterL >
wrote:
> PeterL > wrote in news:79b25aff-4fc8-4533-beda-
> :

BWAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.ip-
> adress.com/map/Map_of_Woodstock_in_Illinois_in_United_States/1d7105b34cd03
> ba97cfd7e1e6b975afa
>
> http://tinyurl.com/ybtbyg9
>
> --
> Peter Lucas
> Brisbane
> Australia
>
> If we are not meant to eat dick,
> why are they made of meat?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

PeterL wrote:

> it
> was
> thought the duke and duchess had known Jennie was pregnant at the time
> of
> the wedding; that was why they had boycotted it. Sly allusions to the
> circumcisions of his afterbirth followed Winston all his life.
>
> --
> Peter Lucas of the phallic sig line

Still, he wasnt born in a bathroom or cloak room however premature he
might have been.