Old 05-10-2007, 01:33 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default NJ food facts

Part of a 'Things you didn't know about New Jersey' email sent to me.

New Jersey has the most diners in the world and is sometimes referred
to as the "Diner Capital of the World." (Have eaten at a couple.)

New Jersey is home to the original Mystery Pork Parts Club
(no, not Spam): Taylor Ham or Pork Roll. (Yum!)

Home to the less mysterious but the best Italian hot dogs and Italian
sausage w/peppers and onions. (Even more yum!)

Jersey tomatoes are known the world over as being the best you can buy.
(Yes they are.)

New Jersey is the world leader in blueberry and cranberry
production (and here you thought Massachusetts?). (Knew about the
blueberries, not the cranberries)

Here's to New Jersey - the toast of the country! In 1642, the first
brewery in America, opened in Hoboken. (Actually it was in 1663)

Hobken is also the home of the first 'Blimpie' sandwich shop, started by
NJ students.

You know you're from NJ when:

You don't think of fruit when people mention "The Oranges." (Towns
bordering Newark by the name of Orange, East Orange, West Orange and
South Orange. No North Orange though.)

A good, quick breakfast is a hard roll with butter.

You know that a "White Castle" is the name of BOTH a fast food
chain AND a fast food sandwich.

You consider putting mayo on a corned beef sandwich a sacrilege.

You've had a boardwalk cheese steak and vinegar fries. (Down the Shore
of course)

Old 05-10-2007, 01:52 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Reg Reg is offline

Arri London wrote:

[...]

Yes, Hoboken. All kinds of unique food choices available there.

Here's the only place left I know of where you can get sfogliatella.

http://www.carlosbakery.com/pastries.html

Anybody know of any other places, perchance?

--
Reg

Old 05-10-2007, 04:13 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Arri London" wrote

Home to the less mysterious but the best Italian hot dogs

Arri, I took a beating when I described Italian hot dogs.

Poor people don't know what they're missing.

nancy

Old 05-10-2007, 10:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Arri London" wrote in message
Part of a 'Things you didn't know about New Jersey' email sent to me.

New Jersey has the most diners in the world and is sometimes referred
to as the "Diner Capital of the World." (Have eaten at a couple.)

New Jersey is home to the original Mystery Pork Parts Club
(no, not Spam): Taylor Ham or Pork Roll. (Yum!)

Home to the less mysterious but the best Italian hot dogs and Italian
sausage w/peppers and onions. (Even more yum!)

Jersey tomatoes are known the world over as being the best you can buy.
(Yes they are.)

New Jersey is the world leader in blueberry and cranberry
production (and here you thought Massachusetts?). (Knew about the
blueberries, not the cranberries)

Here's to New Jersey - the toast of the country! In 1642, the first
brewery in America, opened in Hoboken. (Actually it was in 1663)

NJ also produces 70% of the eggplant in the US.

Old 06-10-2007, 12:44 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

"Arri London" wrote

Home to the less mysterious but the best Italian hot dogs

Arri, I took a beating when I described Italian hot dogs.

Poor people don't know what they're missing.

nancy

True enough. My NJ informant told me there's still one 'Jimmy Buff's'
left in East Hanover. The one in Newark was the sort of place my mother
would have forbade me to eat at had she known LOL!

Old 06-10-2007, 12:44 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Kswck wrote:

[...]

Ah must add that to the list then. Thanks!
Old 06-10-2007, 12:50 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Reg wrote:

Arri London wrote:

[...]

Yes apparently it is. Used to belong to a Newark-based (former residents
that is) newsgroup and they used to meet up in Hoboken for nice meals.

Here's the only place left I know of where you can get sfogliatella.

http://www.carlosbakery.com/pastries.html

Anybody know of any other places, perchance?

--
Reg

Can't help you with bakeries but you could try making your own:

http://www.cookiesfromitaly.com/reci...ogliatella.htm

(My Italian dictionary defines 'strutto' as lard.)

Or else try North Newark or NYC bakeries.
Old 06-10-2007, 04:28 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"Kswck" wrote:

[...]

I live in NJ and I wasn't aware that it grows so much eggplant and
cranberries.
Old 06-10-2007, 04:58 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Don't forget the white corn.

Old 06-10-2007, 05:27 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
J S J S is offline

NJ food facts

Group: rec.food.cooking Date: Thu, Oct 4, 2007, 5:52pm (EDT-3) From:
(Reg)
Yes, Hoboken. All kinds of unique food choices available there.

Here's the only place left I know of where you can get sfogliatella.
http://www.carlosbakery.com/pastries.html
Anybody know of any other places, perchance?
Reg
--------------------

Try this site:
www.tommyeats.com
It lists Raspoli's in Ridgefield amd Cheesecake Aly in Glen Rock.
Googling 'sfogliatella-NJ' pulls up tons of places
Cheers,Smitty

"Food, Art and Films,What else do you need?...Well.."

Old 06-10-2007, 06:50 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
J S J S is offline

Group: rec.food.cooking Date: Thu, Oct 4, 2007, 11:13pm From:
(Nancy*Young)
Arri, I took a beating when I described Italian hot dogs.
Poor people don't know what they're missing.
nancy
------------
Im Italian who grew up in Newarl,NJ in the 40,s-50,s.,when South Orange
Ave-Westside Park was the Italian section.
The ingredients and quality of food was much better back then.This was
during the war when I was very little.Eggs tasted like eggs,chickens
were tastier.Most of our families had little gardens in the yards
growing tomatoes,herbs and various vegetables..Whole days were spent
making spaghetti sauces,raised our own chickens.When my great
grandparents came over from Genoa they opened a chicken market in
Belleville Nj.Italian hotdogs were something my mother and grandmother
used to make all the time.or we,d buy them at the St Roccos Catholic
feasts of the Saints once a year.,or Coney Island and Seaside
heights.The ones made today just not the same somehow.Ive heard all the
eeews and whats also...dont know what they,re missing.

ITALIAN HOTDOGS
Family recipe

1 pkg GOOD beef hotdogs
4 or 5 lg potatoes cubed or sliced in strips
3 green peppers-cut in strips
1 med onion-cut in strips
3 cloves garlic-minced
Olive Oil
salt-pepper to taste
2 loaves of any round italiian flat bread

In large heavy skillet over med heat,add olive oil and garlic
till slightly browned.Remove garlic to the side.
Add potatoes and saute till slightly browned amd softend--add onions and
peppers.Lower heat and cook (stirring and watching till done.Remove all
to a bowl
and set aside
Add hotdogs to oil and raise to med.More oil can be added now if needed.
They can be added whole,coined,or split down the middle,whatever your
preference(whole is better).Fry till theyre the way you like them,Some
prefer slightly browned-some like almost blackened-your choice.
Put garlic.onions,peppers back into skillet with hotdogs,toss
lightly.till all ingredients are heated thru.Cover and renove from heat
and let lavors meld.
Slice the round bread in halves if small,in quarters if large.If they
are cut in half rounds make a pocket in the bread.
Add a layer of potatoes,peppers,onions,garlic,then hotdog slices,then
repeat with onion,garlic pepers ,potatoes.Drizzle a little hot oil from
the pan.It will NOT be greasy.The flavor combo is to die for.
The breads originally used for this was from a bakery in NJ called
Celantanos,which also sold pasta.It was called "pizza bread"(no not
pita),was about 2 inches thick, round with a hole in the center.
Have had 'modern' fancy versions of this,but it not at all like the
originals.

Old 06-10-2007, 02:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 6 Oct 2007 00:27:54 -0400, (J S) wrote:

NJ food facts

Group: rec.food.cooking Date: Thu, Oct 4, 2007, 5:52pm (EDT-3) From:
(Reg)
Yes, Hoboken. All kinds of unique food choices available there.

Here's the only place left I know of where you can get sfogliatella.
http://www.carlosbakery.com/pastries.html
Anybody know of any other places, perchance?
Reg
--------------------

Try this site:
www.tommyeats.com
It lists Raspoli's in Ridgefield amd Cheesecake Aly in Glen Rock.
Googling 'sfogliatella-NJ' pulls up tons of places
Cheers,Smitty

"Food, Art and Films,What else do you need?...Well.."

Calandra's in Fairfield and the original one in Newark have
sfogliatella.

http://www.calandrasbakery.com/
Old 06-10-2007, 08:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 18:33:10 -0600, Arri London
wrote:

New Jersey is the world leader in blueberry and cranberry
production (and here you thought Massachusetts?). (Knew about the
blueberries, not the cranberries)

Nope. Neither.

Cranberries = Wisconsin
http://www.agmrc.org/agmrc/commodity...s/cranberries/

Blueberries = Maine (lowbush) and Michigan (highbush)
http://www.agmrc.org/agmrc/commodity...s/blueberries/

(There are _many_ sources that agree with this)
Old 06-10-2007, 08:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Hobken is also the home of the first 'Blimpie' sandwich shop, started by
NJ students.

'blimpie bases' serve the worst sandwiches in the known universe.
they are so bad, i always assumed they were a front for mafia money
laundering.

your pal,
blake
Old 06-10-2007, 08:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 14:26:52 -0500, mike wrote:

Blueberries = Maine (lowbush) and Michigan (highbush)
http://www.agmrc.org/agmrc/commodity...s/blueberries/

I was raised in the heart of SW Michigan blueberry country and I love
blueberries!

--
See return address to reply by email