Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default (2009-12-21) NS-RFC: 'Tis The Season For.... Holiday Treats!

http://www.recfoodcooking.com

Thanks go to to Terry (Pr'fessor) for this survey.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I got the TFH for this one! Does the RFC Ribbon come with a jar of Miracle
Whip? If so, I'd like to donate it to Tammy.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> I got the TFH for this one! Does the RFC Ribbon come with a jar of
> Miracle Whip? If so, I'd like to donate it to Tammy.
>
> Bob

It does. You may - and then you can 'takes yer chances'.

Happy Holidays anyway ;-)
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com
>
> Thanks go to to Terry (Pr'fessor) for this survey.
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

Whatever we could think of doing is overshadowed by daughter # 2 - she's an
unbelievable candy - cookie - pie maker .

Her peanut brittle is to die for.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 11:44:52 -0800, "Dimitri" >
wrote:

>Her peanut brittle is to die for.

I know of two impartial judges who'd be happy to taste it for you...
just to make sure it won't kill you, of course.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 11:44:52 -0800, "Dimitri" >
> wrote:
>
>>Her peanut brittle is to die for.

> I know of two impartial judges who'd be happy to taste it for you...
> just to make sure it won't kill you, of course.
>
> --
> I love cooking with wine.
> Sometimes I even put it in the food.

:-)....

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 21:15:37 +0200, ChattyCathy
> wrote:

>http://www.recfoodcooking.com
>
>Thanks go to to Terry (Pr'fessor) for this survey.

1. Fudge. Made only once a year because the wife loves it too much.
2. Rice krispie treats, with extra butter.
3. Cherry twinks: molded butter cookies with a thumbprint of
preserves in the center. Also blackberry, black raspberry, apricot,
etc.
4. Huey's cream wafers -- a simple rich shortbread
5. White cake with a different sort of chocolate frosting: baking
chocolate +milk chocolate + butter + oil, melt, cool til thick, whip.
Tasted like the inside of a truffle!
6. Date-nut crumbles. Bar cookie. Dunno why they're called that, she
doesn't put nuts in 'em.
7. Sausage-cheese balls.

Possibly other things too, I don't recall. Have to restrict myself to
a taste of everything.

Best -- Terry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 10:21:06 -0600, Terry >
wrote:

>7. Sausage-cheese balls.

Never heard of that. Are they toothpick or finger appetizers? Do you
dip them in anything?

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 08:49:21 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 10:21:06 -0600, Terry >
>wrote:
>
>>7. Sausage-cheese balls.

>Never heard of that. Are they toothpick or finger appetizers? Do you
>dip them in anything?

Sausage-cheese balls (appetizer)

1 lb hot bulk sausage
8 oz sharp cheese, shredded
3 cups baking mix (Bisquick, Jiffy, etc.)

Mix by hand. At first it doesn't look like it will *ever* come
together, but keep at it. Roll into walnut-sized balls and place on
lightly greased baking sheet. Bake at 375 F for about 20 minutes or
until lightly browned. Serve hot/warm.

Toothpicks might be a good idea. Need not dip them in anything,
they're great as they are. Some say they're ok cold but I like 'em
warm. Baking time can vary considerably depending on sausage and
oven. It's a good idea to pull out one ball at 15 minutes, let it
cool a bit, taste. Too soggy? Try another at 20 minutes, and so on.

Best -- Terry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 14:15:07 -0600, Terry >
wrote:

>Sausage-cheese balls (appetizer)
>
>1 lb hot bulk sausage
>8 oz sharp cheese, shredded
>3 cups baking mix (Bisquick, Jiffy, etc.)
>
>Mix by hand. At first it doesn't look like it will *ever* come
>together, but keep at it. Roll into walnut-sized balls and place on
>lightly greased baking sheet. Bake at 375 F for about 20 minutes or
>until lightly browned. Serve hot/warm.

Am I understanding this correctly... you *don't* precook the meat
before you mix it into the Bisquick with the cheese? Do you squish it
through your fingers to separate the meat and incorporate it with the
bisquick and cheese?

TIA

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 14:15:07 -0600, Terry >
> wrote:
>
>> Sausage-cheese balls (appetizer)
>>
>> 1 lb hot bulk sausage
>> 8 oz sharp cheese, shredded
>> 3 cups baking mix (Bisquick, Jiffy, etc.)
>>
>> Mix by hand. At first it doesn't look like it will *ever* come
>> together, but keep at it. Roll into walnut-sized balls and place on
>> lightly greased baking sheet. Bake at 375 F for about 20 minutes or
>> until lightly browned. Serve hot/warm.

> Am I understanding this correctly... you *don't* precook the meat
> before you mix it into the Bisquick with the cheese? Do you squish it
> through your fingers to separate the meat and incorporate it with the
> bisquick and cheese?

Not to butt in (who, me?), but I made these for the first time last
week. I found that it would have been easier if I let the sausage
warm up a bit before trying to mix it with the other ingredients.
Also, Jill told me she microwaves the cheese to soften it a bit.
Hope she doesn't mind me saying that. I wound up adding just a
bit of water to get the stuff mixed, what a chore.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 14:15:07 -0600, Terry >
> wrote:
>
>>Sausage-cheese balls (appetizer)
>>
>>1 lb hot bulk sausage
>>8 oz sharp cheese, shredded
>>3 cups baking mix (Bisquick, Jiffy, etc.)
>>
>>Mix by hand. At first it doesn't look like it will *ever* come
>>together, but keep at it. Roll into walnut-sized balls and place on
>>lightly greased baking sheet. Bake at 375 F for about 20 minutes or
>>until lightly browned. Serve hot/warm.

> Am I understanding this correctly... you *don't* precook the meat
> before you mix it into the Bisquick with the cheese? Do you squish it
> through your fingers to separate the meat and incorporate it with the
> bisquick and cheese?

You don't precook the sausage, otherwise it would be impossible to mix
together. And yes, at first it doesn't look like it will ever come together
but just keep going... it will They can also be frozen on baking sheets
(uncooked) then baked right before you serve them. And yes, I soften the
cheese a bit in the microwave first to make mixing them a little easier.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 21, 2:15 pm, ChattyCathy > wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com
>
> Thanks go to to Terry (Pr'fessor) for this survey.
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

I'm glad to see I'm not the only humbug. Add us to the N/As (What is
the difference?) and we are close to a quarter of reponders. Maybe I
am cheating, though, as there is a household member who can't seem to
quit making cookies - nothing special for Christmas, just constantly
cookies.

Every few years I'll get organized enough for a Polish Wigilia, but it
has been a while. And none of my guests or hosts wanted to look at a
whole dead fish in the middle of the table, so we made do with the
other eleven dishes. (A whole dead bird is OK, recognizable chunks of
mammals, too. But a but no to a big fish? I don't understand some
people.)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry wrote:

>> Never heard of that. Are they toothpick or finger appetizers? Do you
>> dip them in anything?

> Sausage-cheese balls (appetizer)
>
> 1 lb hot bulk sausage
> 8 oz sharp cheese, shredded
> 3 cups baking mix (Bisquick, Jiffy, etc.)

these are good with the addition of fennel seeds too!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 23:26:43 -0500, Goomba >
wrote:

>Terry wrote:
>
>>> Never heard of that. Are they toothpick or finger appetizers? Do you
>>> dip them in anything?

>> Sausage-cheese balls (appetizer)
>>
>> 1 lb hot bulk sausage
>> 8 oz sharp cheese, shredded
>> 3 cups baking mix (Bisquick, Jiffy, etc.)

>these are good with the addition of fennel seeds too!

I was thinking about using Italian sausage... so it would work?

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 23:26:43 -0500, Goomba >
> wrote:

>>> Sausage-cheese balls (appetizer)
>>>
>>> 1 lb hot bulk sausage
>>> 8 oz sharp cheese, shredded
>>> 3 cups baking mix (Bisquick, Jiffy, etc.)

>> these are good with the addition of fennel seeds too!

> I was thinking about using Italian sausage... so it would work?

of course. Just squeeze it out of the casing. That's what I use, but my
recipe calls for the addition of fennel seeds. In case you buy wimpy
sausage?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 00:44:45 -0500, Goomba >
wrote:

>sf wrote:
>> On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 23:26:43 -0500, Goomba >
>> wrote:

>>> these are good with the addition of fennel seeds too!

>> I was thinking about using Italian sausage... so it would work?
>>

>of course. Just squeeze it out of the casing. That's what I use, but my
>recipe calls for the addition of fennel seeds. In case you buy wimpy
>sausage?

I can buy bulk italian sausage. I think I'll try the hot stuff.
Extra fennel is always good, IMO... but a lot of people don't like
seeds. I've noticed they must be powdered because I can taste fennel,
but I don't see any.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:
> sf wrote:
>> On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 23:26:43 -0500, Goomba >
>> wrote:

>>> these are good with the addition of fennel seeds too!

>> I was thinking about using Italian sausage... so it would work?
>>

> of course. Just squeeze it out of the casing. That's what I use, but
> my recipe calls for the addition of fennel seeds. In case you buy
> wimpy sausage?

I used a package of sausage that had 2 hot and 4 sweet (mild)
Italian sausages. The sausage balls came out with a little bite
but shouldn't offend anyone.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 07:43:30 -0500, "Nancy Young"
> wrote:

>I used a package of sausage that had 2 hot and 4 sweet (mild)
>Italian sausages.

Did you pack that yourself? I've never seen mixed packages at the
grocery store, which I'd love because I prefer hot and hubby prefers
mild.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 07:43:30 -0500, "Nancy Young"
> > wrote:
>
>> I used a package of sausage that had 2 hot and 4 sweet (mild)
>> Italian sausages.

> Did you pack that yourself? I've never seen mixed packages at the
> grocery store, which I'd love because I prefer hot and hubby prefers
> mild.

I like Premio brand Italian sausage, I do not know if they are
distributed country wide. They sell packages of mixed hot/sweet.
Very handy as I have the same issue here.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 10:52:09 -0500, Nancy Young wrote:

> sf wrote:
>> On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 07:43:30 -0500, "Nancy Young"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I used a package of sausage that had 2 hot and 4 sweet (mild)
>>> Italian sausages.

>> Did you pack that yourself? I've never seen mixed packages at the
>> grocery store, which I'd love because I prefer hot and hubby prefers
>> mild.

> I like Premio brand Italian sausage, I do not know if they are
> distributed country wide. They sell packages of mixed hot/sweet.
> Very handy as I have the same issue here.
>
> nancy

i see premio in my grocery store in maryland. so they're good, huh? they
look respectable.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 00:39:29 -0500, blake murphy
> wrote:

>On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 10:52:09 -0500, Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> sf wrote:
>>> On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 07:43:30 -0500, "Nancy Young"

>>> Did you pack that yourself? I've never seen mixed packages at the
>>> grocery store, which I'd love because I prefer hot and hubby prefers
>>> mild.

>> I like Premio brand Italian sausage, I do not know if they are
>> distributed country wide. They sell packages of mixed hot/sweet.
>> Very handy as I have the same issue here.
>>
>> nancy

>i see premio in my grocery store in maryland. so they're good, huh? they
>look respectable.

You two have choices between Italian sausage brands?

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 10:52:09 -0500, Nancy Young wrote:

>> I like Premio brand Italian sausage, I do not know if they are
>> distributed country wide. They sell packages of mixed hot/sweet.
>> Very handy as I have the same issue here.

> i see premio in my grocery store in maryland. so they're good, huh?
> they look respectable.

They're my favorite, I do make a special trip to a store that
sells Premio. With me, sausage texture is a real make or break.
Some brands just really put me off. Premio is the Italian sausage
they sell at Costco, coincidentally, just in larger amounts than I
can reasonably use or store, especially as I like some hot and
some sweet.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 00:39:29 -0500, blake murphy
> > wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 10:52:09 -0500, Nancy Young wrote:

>>> I like Premio brand Italian sausage, I do not know if they are
>>> distributed country wide. They sell packages of mixed hot/sweet.
>>> Very handy as I have the same issue here.

>> i see premio in my grocery store in maryland. so they're good, huh?
>> they look respectable.
>>

> You two have choices between Italian sausage brands?

Usually there are at least two brands at the supermarket, plus maybe
the store makes their own, too.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ranee at Arabian Knits wrote:
> In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 00:39:29 -0500, blake murphy

>>> i see premio in my grocery store in maryland. so they're good, huh? they
>>> look respectable.
>>>

>> You two have choices between Italian sausage brands?

> We did/do, even in Small Town, Washington. Isernios, Mario's, whatever
> the store brand is, local butchers, etc.
>
> Regards,
> Ranee @ Arabian Knits

We have multiple choices also. Fresh Market sells one from Union City,
NJ by a company called "Provisions" which is excellent. Then SamsClub
has a good brand "Zio", and the standard blechy ones by Johnsonville
available at almost all markets, and many local shops have their own
home mixed sausage.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 22:08:06 -0800, sf wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 00:39:29 -0500, blake murphy
> > wrote:

>>> I like Premio brand Italian sausage, I do not know if they are
>>> distributed country wide. They sell packages of mixed hot/sweet.
>>> Very handy as I have the same issue here.
>>>
>>> nancy

>>i see premio in my grocery store in maryland. so they're good, huh? they
>>look respectable.
>>

> You two have choices between Italian sausage brands?

there are three or four, plus a house brand.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 07:33:51 -0500, Nancy Young wrote:

> blake murphy wrote:
>> On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 10:52:09 -0500, Nancy Young wrote:

>>> I like Premio brand Italian sausage, I do not know if they are
>>> distributed country wide. They sell packages of mixed hot/sweet.
>>> Very handy as I have the same issue here.

>> i see premio in my grocery store in maryland. so they're good, huh?
>> they look respectable.

> They're my favorite, I do make a special trip to a store that
> sells Premio. With me, sausage texture is a real make or break.
> Some brands just really put me off. Premio is the Italian sausage
> they sell at Costco, coincidentally, just in larger amounts than I
> can reasonably use or store, especially as I like some hot and
> some sweet.
>
> nancy

maybe i'll give them a try.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 23:33:15 -0800, Ranee at Arabian Knits
> wrote:

>We did/do, even in Small Town, Washington. Isernios, Mario's, whatever
>the store brand is, local butchers, etc.

Sorry, I meant in one store.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 07:58:07 -0500, "Nancy Young"
> wrote:

>Usually there are at least two brands at the supermarket, plus maybe
>the store makes their own, too.

I figure the store brand is probably the same stuff repackaged, like
any other store brand.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 10:27:57 -0500, blake murphy
> wrote:

>On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 22:08:06 -0800, sf wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 00:39:29 -0500, blake murphy
>> > wrote:

>>>i see premio in my grocery store in maryland. so they're good, huh? they
>>>look respectable.
>>>

>> You two have choices between Italian sausage brands?

>there are three or four, plus a house brand.

In one store? Great! Where I shop, I'm lucky to find Italian
sausage. The one pound chub (branded, but darned if I can remember
the name) is a fairly recent phenomena in terms of years.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 21, 2:15*pm, ChattyCathy > wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com

4-5 kinds of cookies:
-mohn cookies
-molassas spice cookies
-forgotten cookies (have you tried them yet, Damsel?)
-almond macaroons
-maybe oatmeal cookies
latkes
stollen
raisin bread
onion cookies (sort of a cracker)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 08:41:49 -0800 (PST), maxine in ri
> wrote:

>-forgotten cookies (have you tried them yet,

No, but I've had forgotten pie. Pretty good stuff, but I never did
make it. Nobody except me in my house would have eaten it.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine in ri wrote:
> 4-5 kinds of cookies:
> -mohn cookies
> -molassas spice cookies
> -forgotten cookies (have you tried them yet, Damsel?)
> -almond macaroons
> -maybe oatmeal cookies
> latkes
> stollen
> raisin bread
> onion cookies (sort of a cracker)

The onion cookies sound interesting, I would like to give those a try.

I baked a cake that used 4 egg yolks, so I used the egg whites to make
Forgotten Cookies. I made them in two batches, I was afraid the mixer
would be too full but I was wrong. It could handle 4 egg whites at one
time. I thought about making divinity but I was afraid of the humidity.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 10:27:57 -0500, blake murphy
> wrote:

>On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 22:08:06 -0800, sf wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 00:39:29 -0500, blake murphy
>> > wrote:

>>>i see premio in my grocery store in maryland. so they're good, huh? they
>>>look respectable.
>>>

>> You two have choices between Italian sausage brands?

>there are three or four, plus a house brand.

I read this thread this morning and looked when we shopped. The had
pork, pork and beef, beef, and turkey. All available in hot or mild,
bulk or in casings. That was just the store brand offerings. There
was at least a half dozen other brands there too.

I bought a 4 1/2 pound butt. I'm going to make 2 pounds of Italian
and 2 1/2 pounds of breakfast sausage.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young > wrote:

>sf wrote:

>> You two have choices between Italian sausage brands?

>Usually there are at least two brands at the supermarket, plus maybe
>the store makes their own, too.

To the extent I'm carnivorous I love Italian sausage, but I do
not see the point in buying it as sausage, as opposed to
seasoning up some ground pork myself. (Particularly since
one can select better-quality pork for doing this, and
it costs somewhat less.)

I guess there's an argument that as they cook in their natural
casing they acquire a better flavor or juiciness, but I
have not noticed much difference.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> In article >,
> Goomba > wrote:
>
>> Ranee at Arabian Knits wrote:

>>> We did/do, even in Small Town, Washington. Isernios, Mario's, whatever
>>> the store brand is, local butchers, etc.

>> We have multiple choices also. Fresh Market sells one from Union City,
>> NJ by a company called "Provisions" which is excellent. Then SamsClub
>> has a good brand "Zio", and the standard blechy ones by Johnsonville
>> available at almost all markets, and many local shops have their own
>> home mixed sausage.

Carmine Lonardo's, Polidoro's, Boulder Sausage Company and
sausage made in every small Italian store in NW Denver plus all
the national brands. Any city with Italian neighborhoods should
have multiple local brands/sources.

gloria p

Holiday Treats T[_8_] Diabetic 3 08-01-2016 10:41 PM
REC: A Few Holiday Treats jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 0 04-12-2009 11:39 PM
Holiday Season. jacquie0 Recipes 0 22-12-2004 07:49 AM
Holiday treats PatyD Baking 5 06-12-2003 02:16 AM
Holiday Treats for Diabetics... PatyD Baking 4 28-11-2003 05:07 PM