Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young[_2_] Nancy Young[_2_] is offline

Default (2009-12-21) NS-RFC: 'Tis The Season For.... Holiday Treats!

sf wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 14:15:07 -0600, Terry >
> wrote:
>
>> Sausage-cheese balls (appetizer)
>>
>> 1 lb hot bulk sausage
>> 8 oz sharp cheese, shredded
>> 3 cups baking mix (Bisquick, Jiffy, etc.)
>>
>> Mix by hand. At first it doesn't look like it will *ever* come
>> together, but keep at it. Roll into walnut-sized balls and place on
>> lightly greased baking sheet. Bake at 375 F for about 20 minutes or
>> until lightly browned. Serve hot/warm.

> Am I understanding this correctly... you *don't* precook the meat
> before you mix it into the Bisquick with the cheese? Do you squish it
> through your fingers to separate the meat and incorporate it with the
> bisquick and cheese?

Not to butt in (who, me?), but I made these for the first time last
week. I found that it would have been easier if I let the sausage
warm up a bit before trying to mix it with the other ingredients.
Also, Jill told me she microwaves the cheese to soften it a bit.
Hope she doesn't mind me saying that. I wound up adding just a
bit of water to get the stuff mixed, what a chore.

nancy