Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Wild Rice advise, please!

Tomorrow is our annual holiday potluck at work. I'm suppossed to bring
a side dish, and I've had a jones for wild rice, so I thought I'd make
that. I just use chicken stock, almonds, and mushrooms. What is your
opinion on how I should do this? I'm thinking I will cook it about
halfway tonight, and then bring it in a crockpot and finish it at work
tomorrow. TIA!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb wrote:

> Tomorrow is our annual holiday potluck at work. I'm suppossed to bring
> a side dish, and I've had a jones for wild rice, so I thought I'd make
> that. I just use chicken stock, almonds, and mushrooms. What is your
> opinion on how I should do this? I'm thinking I will cook it about
> halfway tonight, and then bring it in a crockpot and finish it at work
> tomorrow. TIA!!

This would be convenient to make/bring and it's really good.
Always a hit.

Corn and Wild Rice Pudding

Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2000

2 eggs
1 egg yolk
1 cup heavy or whipping cream
2/3 cup milk
4 ears sweet corn, blanched and kernels removed from
cobs, about 3 cups corn
1 cup cooked wild rice
3 scallions, finely chopped or 1/3 cup finely chopped
scallions
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/8 teaspoon grated fresh nutmeg
1/2 tablespoon butter

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

In a large bowl, combine egg, egg yolk, heavy cream and
milk and whisk well to combine. Add all remaining
ingredients except butter and mix well.

Grease a 7 by 11 or 8 by 12-inch casserole with the
butter. Pour custard ingredients into prepared casserole
and bake uncovered for 45 minutes, or until custard is
set and golden brown on the top.

Serve warm.

Yield: 6 to 8 servings

--
Reg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 10, 10:18*am, RegForte > wrote:
> merryb wrote:
> > Tomorrow is our annual holiday potluck at work. I'm suppossed to bring
> > a side dish, and I've had a jones for wild rice, so I thought I'd make
> > that. I just use chicken stock, almonds, and mushrooms. What is your
> > opinion on how I should do this? I'm thinking I will cook it about
> > halfway tonight, and then bring it in a crockpot and finish it at work
> > tomorrow. TIA!!

> This would be convenient to make/bring and it's really good.
> Always a hit.
>
> Corn and Wild Rice Pudding
>
> Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2000
>
> 2 eggs
> 1 egg yolk
> 1 cup heavy or whipping cream
> 2/3 cup milk
> 4 ears sweet corn, blanched and kernels removed from
> * *cobs, about 3 cups corn
> 1 cup cooked wild rice
> 3 scallions, finely chopped or 1/3 cup finely chopped
> scallions
> 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
> 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
> 1/8 teaspoon grated fresh nutmeg
> 1/2 tablespoon butter
>
> Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
>
> In a large bowl, combine egg, egg yolk, heavy cream and
> milk and whisk well to combine. Add all remaining
> ingredients except butter and mix well.
>
> Grease a 7 by 11 or 8 by 12-inch casserole with the
> butter. Pour custard ingredients into prepared casserole
> and bake uncovered for 45 minutes, or until custard is
> set and golden brown on the top.
>
> Serve warm.
>
> Yield: 6 to 8 servings
>
> --
> Reg

That sounds good, but doesn't sound "potluckable"...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"merryb" > wrote in message
On Dec 10, 10:18 am, RegForte > wrote:
> merryb wrote:
> > Tomorrow is our annual holiday potluck at work. I'm suppossed to bring
> > a side dish, and I've had a jones for wild rice, so I thought I'd make
> > that. I just use chicken stock, almonds, and mushrooms. What is your
> > opinion on how I should do this? I'm thinking I will cook it about
> > halfway tonight, and then bring it in a crockpot and finish it at work
> > tomorrow. TIA!!

> This would be convenient to make/bring and it's really good.
> Always a hit.
>
> Corn and Wild Rice Pudding
>
> Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2000
>
> 2 eggs
> 1 egg yolk
> 1 cup heavy or whipping cream
> 2/3 cup milk
> 4 ears sweet corn, blanched and kernels removed from
> cobs, about 3 cups corn
> 1 cup cooked wild rice
> 3 scallions, finely chopped or 1/3 cup finely chopped
> scallions
> 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
> 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
> 1/8 teaspoon grated fresh nutmeg
> 1/2 tablespoon butter
>
> Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
>
> In a large bowl, combine egg, egg yolk, heavy cream and
> milk and whisk well to combine. Add all remaining
> ingredients except butter and mix well.
>
> Grease a 7 by 11 or 8 by 12-inch casserole with the
> butter. Pour custard ingredients into prepared casserole
> and bake uncovered for 45 minutes, or until custard is
> set and golden brown on the top.
>
> Serve warm.
>
> Yield: 6 to 8 servings
>
> --
> Reg

That sounds good, but doesn't sound "potluckable"...

I don't think you can do "potluckable" wild rice. Definitely not in a crock
pot. Wild rice needs extended cooking at a higher heat then a crock pot
would produce.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> "merryb" > wrote in message
> On Dec 10, 10:18 am, RegForte > wrote:
>

>> This would be convenient to make/bring and it's really good.
>> Always a hit.
>>
>> Corn and Wild Rice Pudding
>>
>> Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2000
>>
>> 2 eggs
>> 1 egg yolk
>> 1 cup heavy or whipping cream
>> 2/3 cup milk
>> 4 ears sweet corn, blanched and kernels removed from
>> cobs, about 3 cups corn
>> 1 cup cooked wild rice
>> 3 scallions, finely chopped or 1/3 cup finely chopped
>> scallions
>> 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
>> 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
>> 1/8 teaspoon grated fresh nutmeg
>> 1/2 tablespoon butter
>>
>> Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
>>
>> In a large bowl, combine egg, egg yolk, heavy cream and
>> milk and whisk well to combine. Add all remaining
>> ingredients except butter and mix well.
>>
>> Grease a 7 by 11 or 8 by 12-inch casserole with the
>> butter. Pour custard ingredients into prepared casserole
>> and bake uncovered for 45 minutes, or until custard is
>> set and golden brown on the top.
>>
>> Serve warm.
>>
>> Yield: 6 to 8 servings

> That sounds good, but doesn't sound "potluckable"...
>

> I don't think you can do "potluckable" wild rice. Definitely not in a
> crock pot. Wild rice needs extended cooking at a higher heat then a
> crock pot would produce.

I'd just serve the above recipe cold. It's quite good that way.

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
merryb > wrote:

> Tomorrow is our annual holiday potluck at work. I'm suppossed to bring
> a side dish, and I've had a jones for wild rice, so I thought I'd make
> that. I just use chicken stock, almonds, and mushrooms. What is your
> opinion on how I should do this? I'm thinking I will cook it about
> halfway tonight, and then bring it in a crockpot and finish it at work
> tomorrow. TIA!!

Sounds like you've already decided how you're going to do it.
If it were me, I'd cook the wild rice completely, using chicken broth
for the liquid and stir in toasted slivered almonds and sauteed
mushrooms (sauteed in butter) when you heat it at work in the crockpot.

I would cook the wild rice by boiling the water-rinsed (about 4 times)
rice in a large quantity of liquid until it's tender, anywhere from
15-45 minutes, depending on the kind of rice you use. Then drain it
well and it's ready for use in your recipe (or mine :-)
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Who Said Chickens Have Fingers?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article
> >,
> merryb > wrote:
>

>>Tomorrow is our annual holiday potluck at work. I'm suppossed to bring
>>a side dish, and I've had a jones for wild rice, so I thought I'd make
>>that. I just use chicken stock, almonds, and mushrooms. What is your
>>opinion on how I should do this? I'm thinking I will cook it about
>>halfway tonight, and then bring it in a crockpot and finish it at work
>>tomorrow. TIA!!

> Sounds like you've already decided how you're going to do it.
> If it were me, I'd cook the wild rice completely, using chicken broth
> for the liquid and stir in toasted slivered almonds and sauteed
> mushrooms (sauteed in butter) when you heat it at work in the crockpot.
>
> I would cook the wild rice by boiling the water-rinsed (about 4 times)
> rice in a large quantity of liquid until it's tender, anywhere from
> 15-45 minutes, depending on the kind of rice you use. Then drain it
> well and it's ready for use in your recipe (or mine :-)

Agreed. For just a basic rice dish I would just cook it and reheat
in the crock pot onsite. No benefit from parcooking this dish.

--
Reg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 10, 1:12*pm, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:
> In article
> >,
>
> *merryb > wrote:
> > Tomorrow is our annual holiday potluck at work. I'm suppossed to bring
> > a side dish, and I've had a jones for wild rice, so I thought I'd make
> > that. I just use chicken stock, almonds, and mushrooms. What is your
> > opinion on how I should do this? I'm thinking I will cook it about
> > halfway tonight, and then bring it in a crockpot and finish it at work
> > tomorrow. TIA!!

> Sounds like you've already decided how you're going to do it.
> If it were me, I'd cook the wild rice completely, using chicken broth
> for the liquid and stir in toasted slivered almonds and sauteed
> mushrooms (sauteed in butter) when you heat it at work in the crockpot.
>
> I would cook the wild rice by boiling the water-rinsed (about 4 times)
> rice in a large quantity of liquid until it's tender, anywhere from
> 15-45 minutes, depending on the kind of rice you use. *Then drain it
> well and it's ready for use in your recipe (or mine :-)
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJhttp://web.me.com/barbschaller- Who Said Chickens Have Fingers?
> 10-30-2009

Thanks Barb- that's the answer I was looking for. Do you think I
should bring some extra stock along with me? Hope you're staying warm
back there!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 10, 1:24*pm, RegForte > wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > In article
> > >,
> > *merryb > wrote:

> >>Tomorrow is our annual holiday potluck at work. I'm suppossed to bring
> >>a side dish, and I've had a jones for wild rice, so I thought I'd make
> >>that. I just use chicken stock, almonds, and mushrooms. What is your
> >>opinion on how I should do this? I'm thinking I will cook it about
> >>halfway tonight, and then bring it in a crockpot and finish it at work
> >>tomorrow. TIA!!

> > Sounds like you've already decided how you're going to do it.
> > If it were me, I'd cook the wild rice completely, using chicken broth
> > for the liquid and stir in toasted slivered almonds and sauteed
> > mushrooms (sauteed in butter) when you heat it at work in the crockpot.

> > I would cook the wild rice by boiling the water-rinsed (about 4 times)
> > rice in a large quantity of liquid until it's tender, anywhere from
> > 15-45 minutes, depending on the kind of rice you use. *Then drain it
> > well and it's ready for use in your recipe (or mine :-)

> Agreed. For just a basic rice dish I would just cook it and reheat
> in the crock pot onsite. No benefit from parcooking this dish.
>
> --
> Reg- Hide quoted text -

Noted with thanks!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb wrote:

> On Dec 10, 1:24 pm, RegForte > wrote:
>

>>Agreed. For just a basic rice dish I would just cook it and reheat
>>in the crock pot onsite. No benefit from parcooking this dish.
>>

> Noted with thanks!

Sure. And good choice on the wild rice. I love that stuff.

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> I don't think you can do "potluckable" wild rice. Definitely not in a
> crock pot. Wild rice needs extended cooking at a higher heat then a
> crock pot would produce.
>
> Jill

Try "than", Ms. Perfect.

Rob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
merryb > wrote:

> On Dec 10, 1:12*pm, Melba's Jammin' >
> wrote:

(snip)
> > I would cook the wild rice by boiling the water-rinsed (about 4 times)
> > rice in a large quantity of liquid until it's tender, anywhere from
> > 15-45 minutes, depending on the kind of rice you use. *Then drain it
> > well and it's ready for use in your recipe (or mine :-)
> > --

> Thanks Barb- that's the answer I was looking for. Do you think I
> should bring some extra stock along with me? Hope you're staying warm
> back there!

You're welcome. Enjoy it! I love wild rice, especially when it's not
adulterated with white rice as an extender.

If it'll make you feel better to bring extra broth, go ahead. :-) I'd
be more inclined to bring butter, though. :-0) You don't want this
rice dish to be too wet. The trick will be to put the rice into the
crockpot and not keep poking at it. I wouldn't poke it more than once
every 30-45 minutes, or you'll really be losing heat from the pot. JMO.

I am grateful for central heating, a reliable car, and warm clothes. I
was in Duluth for a couple days, just got back this afternoon. We are
going BACK up there tomorrow. It was below zero there but not as much
snow there as here (south metro Minneapolis area).

We'll arrive early afternoon and I'll make pot roast for supper for the
kids and us. I bought a 2# bag of carrots (real ones) to use. We love
the carrots that have been in the covered pan with the roast. Potatoes,
gravy, roast beast, carrots. It'll be good.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Who Said Chickens Have Fingers?
10-30-2009
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
RegForte > wrote:

> merryb wrote:

(snip)
> > Noted with thanks!

> Sure. And good choice on the wild rice. I love that stuff.

Do you get paddy-grown or lake/river-grown, Reg?
Ever use it in a cold salad?
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Who Said Chickens Have Fingers?
10-30-2009
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

> We'll arrive early afternoon and I'll make pot roast for supper for the
> kids and us. I bought a 2# bag of carrots (real ones) to use. We love
> the carrots that have been in the covered pan with the roast. Potatoes,
> gravy, roast beast, carrots. It'll be good.
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Who Said Chickens Have Fingers?
> 10-30-2009

When you say "real" carrots, I'm guessing you don't mean those way
overpriced shaved bits of carrots that are called "baby carrots"? My
lovebird Peaches (my brother has her) liked to nibble on those and that's
the only reason I ever bought them. They cost twice as much as a regular
bunch of carrots. When making pot roast, regular carrots are the only way
to go. IMHO. And I don't even like carrots But I definitely add them to
pot roast and stew. I don't actually have to eat them

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 10, 7:30*pm, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:
> In article
> >,
>

> *merryb > wrote:
> > On Dec 10, 1:12*pm, Melba's Jammin' >
> > wrote:

> (snip)
> > > I would cook the wild rice by boiling the water-rinsed (about 4 times)
> > > rice in a large quantity of liquid until it's tender, anywhere from
> > > 15-45 minutes, depending on the kind of rice you use. *Then drain it
> > > well and it's ready for use in your recipe (or mine :-)
> > > --

> > Thanks Barb- that's the answer I was looking for. Do you think I
> > should bring some extra stock along with me? Hope you're staying warm
> > back there!

> You're welcome. *Enjoy it! *I love wild rice, especially when it's not
> adulterated with white rice as an extender.
>
> If it'll make you feel better to bring extra broth, go ahead. *:-) * I'd
> be more inclined to bring butter, though. *:-0) * You don't want this
> rice dish to be too wet. * The trick will be to put the rice into the
> crockpot and not keep poking at it. * I wouldn't poke it more than once
> every 30-45 minutes, or you'll really be losing heat from the pot. *JMO..
>
> I am grateful for central heating, a reliable car, and warm clothes. *I
> was in Duluth for a couple days, just got back this afternoon. *We are
> going BACK up there tomorrow. *It was below zero there but not as much
> snow there as here (south metro Minneapolis area).
>
> We'll arrive early afternoon and I'll make pot roast for supper for the
> kids and us. *I bought a 2# bag of carrots (real ones) to use. *We love
> the carrots that have been in the covered pan with the roast. *Potatoes,
> gravy, roast beast, carrots. *It'll be good. *
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJhttp://web.me.com/barbschaller- Who Said Chickens Have Fingers?
> 10-30-2009

I agree about just straight wild rice. I made it last night, and it's
in the crockpot right now heating up- it came out great. Thanks for
the butter idea- I had the leftover cooking liquid in a bag on the
counter with the intent to bring it along, but forgot it in the rush
to get out the door this am! There is a small deli up the street, and
they are selling all of their grocery items at 30-50% off, so that's
where I got the rice- regular priced at 7.95 #. Guess I'll have to go
get more...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 10, 4:02*pm, RegForte > wrote:
> merryb wrote:
> > On Dec 10, 1:24 pm, RegForte > wrote:

> >>Agreed. For just a basic rice dish I would just cook it and reheat
> >>in the crock pot onsite. No benefit from parcooking this dish.

> > Noted with thanks!

> Sure. And good choice on the wild rice. I love that stuff.
>
> --
> Reg

Me too- it came out like I had hoped it would...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 21:31:28 -0600, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >,
> RegForte > wrote:
>
>> merryb wrote:

> (snip)
>>> Noted with thanks!

>> Sure. And good choice on the wild rice. I love that stuff.

> Do you get paddy-grown or lake/river-grown, Reg?
> Ever use it in a cold salad?

o.k., i'll, um, bite. what's your favorite wild rice salad recipe?

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:
(snip)
> When you say "real" carrots, I'm guessing you don't mean those way
> overpriced shaved bits of carrots that are called "baby carrots"? My
> lovebird Peaches (my brother has her) liked to nibble on those and that's
> the only reason I ever bought them. They cost twice as much as a regular
> bunch of carrots. When making pot roast, regular carrots are the only way
> to go. IMHO. And I don't even like carrots But I definitely add them to
> pot roast and stew. I don't actually have to eat them
>
> Jill

I'm about to take a pot roast from the oven; I used about 2 pounds of
beautiful and straight carrots in it - we love carrots that've been
baked with a pot roast. I've just tasted the liquid I'll use for the
gravy and carrots really sweetened it. :-) It's going to be one fine
meal for us and Beck's family. Yum.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Who Said Chickens Have Fingers?
10-30-2009
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
merryb > wrote:

> Me too- it came out like I had hoped it would...

Yeay, Merry!! Good job!
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Who Said Chickens Have Fingers?
10-30-2009
Member

Theres a bunch of wild rice recipes I've used on https://www.wildrice.com

Here are the wild rice recipe link https://wildrice.com/blogs/wild-rice-recipes

The best wild rice Kokopelli Barbecue 0 10-09-2015 06:53 PM
Rec:Wild Rice with Dried Cherries and Scallions made in a rice cooker hahabogus General Cooking 0 10-07-2007 08:52 PM
Rec:wild rice with dried cherries and scallions made in a rice cooker hahabogus General Cooking 0 10-07-2007 07:12 PM
wild rice [email protected] General Cooking 43 13-02-2007 07:41 PM