Kenneth

Default What is clarified butter

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 18:37:09 -0500, FERRANTE
> wrote:

>Cooking shows on TV often refer to "clarified butter." What exactly is
>it and how does it differ, beneficially, from plain butter?
>
>Thanks in advance for your explanation(s).
>Mark Ferrante

Hi Mark,

If you take some butter and heat it to melting, you will soon see some
solids sinking to the bottom.

The liquid above those solids is called clarified butter, and it can
easily be poured off.

Its main advantage is that it can withstand significantly higher
temperatures than can whole butter...

HTH,

--
Kenneth

Katra

In article >,
Kenneth > wrote:

> On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 18:37:09 -0500, FERRANTE
> > wrote:
>
> >Cooking shows on TV often refer to "clarified butter." What exactly is
> >it and how does it differ, beneficially, from plain butter?
> >
> >Thanks in advance for your explanation(s).
> >Mark Ferrante

> Hi Mark,
>
> If you take some butter and heat it to melting, you will soon see some
> solids sinking to the bottom.
>
> The liquid above those solids is called clarified butter, and it can
> easily be poured off.
>
> Its main advantage is that it can withstand significantly higher
> temperatures than can whole butter...
>
> HTH,

Yes,

But you may as well use regular cooking oil,
as it has about as much flavor. ;-P

K. (not a fan of clarified butter (aka Ghee) )

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby >,,<

Katra

In article >,
Steve Wertz > wrote:

> On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 19:21:25 -0600, Katra
> > wrote:
>
> >But you may as well use regular cooking oil,
> >as it has about as much flavor. ;-P

> IMO, fat that comes from an animal is far superior to anything
> from a lowly vegetable.
>
> :-)
>
> "Everything goes better with lard." (tm)
>
> -sw

Cannot argue with that,
but I'd use pure butter before I'd use clarified butter...

That stuff (clarified butter ir Ghee) is just nasty IMHO!

YMMV.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby >,,<

Bigbazza

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 19:21:25 -0600, Katra
> > wrote:
>
> >But you may as well use regular cooking oil,
> >as it has about as much flavor. ;-P

> IMO, fat that comes from an animal is far superior to anything
> from a lowly vegetable.
>
> :-)
>
> "Everything goes better with lard." (tm)
>
> -sw

Everything ...Except for the Heart...

Bigbazza..Oz

Charles Gifford

"Katra" > wrote in message

> Yes,
>
> But you may as well use regular cooking oil,
> as it has about as much flavor. ;-P

You likely have poorly functioning taste buds.

> K. (not a fan of clarified butter (aka Ghee) )

You are incorrect. Clarified butter and ghee are not the same thing.

Charlie

Kenneth

On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 08:38:16 GMT, "Charles Gifford"
> wrote:

>You are incorrect. Clarified butter and ghee are not the same thing.

Howdy,

I always though they were...

What, then, is ghee...?

Thanks,

--
Kenneth

Katra

In article et>,
"Charles Gifford" > wrote:

> "Katra" > wrote in message
> >
> > Yes,
> >
> > But you may as well use regular cooking oil,
> > as it has about as much flavor. ;-P

> You likely have poorly functioning taste buds.

Maybe in YOUR world!

> > K. (not a fan of clarified butter (aka Ghee) )

> You are incorrect. Clarified butter and ghee are not the same thing.
>
> Charlie

And What are you smoking???

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby >,,<

Charles Gifford

"Katra" > wrote in message
> In article et>,
> "Charles Gifford" > wrote:
>
> > "Katra" > wrote in message
> > >
> > > Yes,
> > >
> > > But you may as well use regular cooking oil,
> > > as it has about as much flavor. ;-P

> > You likely have poorly functioning taste buds.

> Maybe in YOUR world!

Where else would I be?

> > > K. (not a fan of clarified butter (aka Ghee) )

> > You are incorrect. Clarified butter and ghee are not the same thing.
> >
> > Charlie

> And What are you smoking???

GPC Lights.

Charlie

Miche

In article >,
Katra > wrote:

> Cannot argue with that,
> but I'd use pure butter before I'd use clarified butter...
>
> That stuff (clarified butter ir Ghee) is just nasty IMHO!

Clarified butter is _much_ better for frying with than ordinary butter
-- the milk solids in butter burn at a relatively low temperature.

Miche

--
If you want to end war and stuff you got to sing loud.
-- Arlo Guthrie, "Alice's Restaurant"

Katra

In article >,
Miche > wrote:

> In article >,
> Katra > wrote:
>
> > Cannot argue with that,
> > but I'd use pure butter before I'd use clarified butter...
> >
> > That stuff (clarified butter ir Ghee) is just nasty IMHO!

> Clarified butter is _much_ better for frying with than ordinary butter
> -- the milk solids in butter burn at a relatively low temperature.
>
> Miche

Depends on what you are cooking and how quickly you mix it... I'll cook
seafood fairly hot and fast, and sorry to disagree, but I find the milk
solids are what give it the flavor!!! Clarified butter, to me at least,
has no more flavor than corn oil!!!

I'd use olive oil before Clarified butter (and usually do) as it gives
more flavor IMHO.

Ymmv. :-)

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby >,,<

Surething

When butter is melted an dheated slowly- the milk solids burn off- and you
are left with Clarified Butter or the INDIAN GHEE. A single spoon in rice
can make wonders to the taste. Ghee works great in softening "HOT DISHES"
using red Chillies. Ghee helps the digestion process in small quantities. In
large quantities- it clogs the arteries.
"Katra" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Miche > wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > Katra > wrote:
> >
> > > Cannot argue with that,
> > > but I'd use pure butter before I'd use clarified butter...
> > >
> > > That stuff (clarified butter ir Ghee) is just nasty IMHO!

> > Clarified butter is _much_ better for frying with than ordinary butter
> > -- the milk solids in butter burn at a relatively low temperature.
> >
> > Miche

> Depends on what you are cooking and how quickly you mix it... I'll cook
> seafood fairly hot and fast, and sorry to disagree, but I find the milk
> solids are what give it the flavor!!! Clarified butter, to me at least,
> has no more flavor than corn oil!!!
>
> I'd use olive oil before Clarified butter (and usually do) as it gives
> more flavor IMHO.
>
> Ymmv. :-)
>
> K.
>
> --
> Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...
>
> >,,<Cat's Haven Hobby >,,<

PENMART01

>"Surething" mentally masturbated:
>
>When butter is melted and heated slowly- the milk solids burn off- and you
>are left with Clarified Butter.

Milk solids are not burned off.

clarified butter
Also called drawn butter, this is unsalted butter that has been slowly melted,
thereby evaporating most of the water and separating the milk solids (which
sink to the bottom of the pan) from the golden liquid on the surface. After any
foam is skimmed off the top, the clear (clarified) butter is poured or skimmed
off the milky residue and used in cooking. Because the milk solids (which make
butter burn when used for frying) have been removed, clarified butter has a
higher smoke point than regular butter and therefore may be used to cook at
higher temperatures. Additionally, the lack of milk solids prevents clarified
butter from becoming rancid as quickly as regular butter. It also means that
the butter won't have as rich a flavor. Ghee is an East Indian form of highly
clarified butter.

ghee
Butter that has been slowly melted, thereby separating the milk solids (which
sink to the bottom of the pan) from the golden liquid on the surface. This form
of clarified butter is taken a step further by simmering it until all of the
moisture evaporates and the milk solids begin to brown, giving the resulting
butter a nutty, caramellike flavor and aroma. This extra step also gives ghee a
longer life and much higher smoke point than regular clarified butter. Because
the smoke point is raised to almost 375°F, ghee is practical for a variety of
sautéing and frying uses. Although it originated in India, the best
commercially available ghee comes from Holland, followed closely by products
from Scandinavia and Australia. It's quite expensive, but can be purchased in
Middle Eastern, Indian and some gourmet markets. Whereas ghee was once made
only with butter derived from water buffalo milk, today it can be made with any
unsalted butter. Making it at home is not a difficult task, and flavored ghees
are created by simply adding ingredients such as ginger, peppercorns or cumin
at the beginning of the clarifying process. Tightly wrapped ghee can be
refrigerated for up to 6 months and frozen up to a year.

© Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995
based on THE FOOD LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

kilikini

(snip)

> clarified butter

clarified butter has a
> higher smoke point than regular butter and therefore may be used to cook

at
> higher temperatures. Additionally, the lack of milk solids prevents

clarified
> butter from becoming rancid as quickly as regular butter. It also means

that
> the butter won't have as rich a flavor. Ghee is an East Indian form of

highly
> clarified butter.
>
> ghee
> Butter that has been slowly melted, thereby separating the milk solids

(which
> sink to the bottom of the pan) from the golden liquid on the surface. This

form
> of clarified butter is taken a step further by simmering it until all of

the
> moisture evaporates and the milk solids begin to brown, giving the

resulting
> butter a nutty, caramellike flavor and aroma. > © Copyright Barron's

Educational Services, Inc. 1995
> based on THE FOOD LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.

(snip)

> ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =---
> ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
> Sheldon
> "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

Sheldon, thanks for the explanation. That was great!

kilikini