Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default hollandaise; clarified butter?

Gonna try a hollandaise.
recipies vary whether to use clarified of unclarified butter.
pros/cons? - Mike

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 02 May 2010 07:31:59 -0400, Michael Horowitz
> wrote:

>Gonna try a hollandaise.
>recipies vary whether to use clarified of unclarified butter.
>pros/cons? - Mike

I am too Michael. The recipe I am going to use is from the Silver
Palate Cookbook.
I calls for melted butter, not clarified, but here's what it says when
the butter is to be added to the eggs, "Incorporate all the butter,
but leave the milky residue behind"
Sounds to me like you should use clarified or just be real careful
when whisking it into the eggs.

koko
--

There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw

www.kokoscornerblog.com
updated 04/30/10
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 02 May 2010 06:44:42 -0700, koko > wrote:

>On Sun, 02 May 2010 07:31:59 -0400, Michael Horowitz
> wrote:
>
>>Gonna try a hollandaise.
>>recipies vary whether to use clarified of unclarified butter.
>>pros/cons? - Mike

>I am too Michael. The recipe I am going to use is from the Silver
>Palate Cookbook.
>I calls for melted butter, not clarified, but here's what it says when
>the butter is to be added to the eggs, "Incorporate all the butter,
>but leave the milky residue behind"
>Sounds to me like you should use clarified or just be real careful
>when whisking it into the eggs.
>
>koko

koko - I was being just a bit disengeneous. I'm making hamburgers
tonite just so I have an excuse to make my first bearnaise, which as
you know is simply a reduction added to the hollandaise. Sides =
roasted potatoes, using Montreal Steak seasoning in the place of
S&P&Rosemary - Mike
PS - it was so easy to clarify (3 mins in microwave + a few seconds
removing foam) that it really didn't matter; beside I can use the
clarified butter for anything - Mike

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 02 May 2010 12:24:16 -0400, Michael Horowitz
> wrote:

>On Sun, 02 May 2010 06:44:42 -0700, koko > wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 02 May 2010 07:31:59 -0400, Michael Horowitz
> wrote:
>>
>>>Gonna try a hollandaise.
>>>recipies vary whether to use clarified of unclarified butter.
>>>pros/cons? - Mike

>>I am too Michael. The recipe I am going to use is from the Silver
>>Palate Cookbook.
>>I calls for melted butter, not clarified, but here's what it says when
>>the butter is to be added to the eggs, "Incorporate all the butter,
>>but leave the milky residue behind"
>>Sounds to me like you should use clarified or just be real careful
>>when whisking it into the eggs.
>>
>>koko

>koko - I was being just a bit disengeneous. I'm making hamburgers
>tonite just so I have an excuse to make my first bearnaise, which as
>you know is simply a reduction added to the hollandaise. Sides =
>roasted potatoes, using Montreal Steak seasoning in the place of
>S&P&Rosemary - Mike
>PS - it was so easy to clarify (3 mins in microwave + a few seconds
>removing foam) that it really didn't matter; beside I can use the
>clarified butter for anything - Mike

Sounds like a great meal. Bearnaise is yet another sauce I'd like to
try.
We are grilling tonight, not sure what sides yet.

koko
--

There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw

www.kokoscornerblog.com
updated 04/30/10
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 02 May 2010 16:44:15 -0700, koko > wrote:

>Sounds like a great meal. Bearnaise is yet another sauce I'd like to
>try.

FWIW, I never bother clarifying the butter for hollandaise. Early on,
I clarified it, but didn't do it because was in a hurry one time and
later couldn't tell the difference.

> We are grilling tonight, not sure what sides yet.

We're grilling, too! Pork ribs were on sale and white corn made its
first appearance at Ralph's. The first corn of the season is usually a
disappointment, but I can never resist the attempt.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--

"If the soup had been as warm as the wine,
if the wine had been as old as the turkey,

To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-05-02, Michael Horowitz > wrote:
> Gonna try a hollandaise.
> recipies vary whether to use clarified of unclarified butter.
> pros/cons? - Mike

It makes no differnce.

The one trick I did learn from perfecting my Hollandaise is to start the
eggs yolks cooking, and thereby thickening, by themselves before you
add any melted butter. Trying to thicken the sauce while the yolks
and butter are already combined is more likely to result in the sauce
breaking.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 03 May 2010 01:49:25 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2010-05-02, Michael Horowitz > wrote:
>> Gonna try a hollandaise.
>> recipies vary whether to use clarified of unclarified butter.
>> pros/cons? - Mike

>It makes no differnce.
>
>The one trick I did learn from perfecting my Hollandaise is to start the
>eggs yolks cooking, and thereby thickening, by themselves before you
>add any melted butter. Trying to thicken the sauce while the yolks
>and butter are already combined is more likely to result in the sauce
>breaking.
>
>nb

thanks for the tip - Mike