Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Clarified butter

What's the best way (easiest, fastest, least hassle) to clarify
butter? I don't want ghee, unless you can make it easier than clarifying.
Microwave? Jes skimming? A jillion gadgets out there and no butter
clarifying gizmo? Need to clarify about 1 lb of butter.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> What's the best way (easiest, fastest, least hassle) to clarify
> butter? I don't want ghee, unless you can make it easier than clarifying.
> Microwave? Jes skimming? A jillion gadgets out there and no butter
> clarifying gizmo? Need to clarify about 1 lb of butter.

I skim but others use a cheese cloth and a strainer.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

>What's the best way (easiest, fastest, least hassle) to clarify
>butter? I don't want ghee, unless you can make it easier than clarifying.
>Microwave? Jes skimming? A jillion gadgets out there and no butter
>clarifying gizmo? Need to clarify about 1 lb of butter.

Melt butter using very low heat, milk solids will settle, then either
carefully pour off clairified butter leaving milk solids or
refrigerate and spoon off clarified butter leaving milk solids.
http://www.foodsubs.com/Fatsoils.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, September 4, 2014 12:25:15 PM UTC-7, notbob wrote:

> What's the best way (easiest, fastest, least hassle) to clarify
> butter? I don't want ghee, unless you can make it easier than clarifying.
> Microwave? Jes skimming? A jillion gadgets out there and no butter
> clarifying gizmo? Need to clarify about 1 lb of butter.

Even Trader Joe's sells ghee nowadays.

Unless you can taste a difference, or you are stuck with a pound of butter,
why bother?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> What's the best way (easiest, fastest, least hassle) to clarify
> butter? I don't want ghee, unless you can make it easier than clarifying.
> Microwave? Jes skimming? A jillion gadgets out there and no butter
> clarifying gizmo? Need to clarify about 1 lb of butter.
>
> nb

sounds like you should have your butler handle this monumental task.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> What's the best way (easiest, fastest, least hassle) to clarify
> butter? I don't want ghee, unless you can make it easier than clarifying.
> Microwave? Jes skimming? A jillion gadgets out there and no butter
> clarifying gizmo? Need to clarify about 1 lb of butter.
>
> nb

Put it in a small sauce pan and turn the heat on the lowest setting.
Not many minutes later you can pour off the top layer and leave the
solids below.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 05 Sep 2014 18:04:20 -0400, Gary > wrote:

> notbob wrote:
> >
> > What's the best way (easiest, fastest, least hassle) to clarify
> > butter? I don't want ghee, unless you can make it easier than clarifying.
> > Microwave? Jes skimming? A jillion gadgets out there and no butter
> > clarifying gizmo? Need to clarify about 1 lb of butter.
> >
> > nb

> Put it in a small sauce pan and turn the heat on the lowest setting.
> Not many minutes later you can pour off the top layer and leave the
> solids below.

That's too easy, Gary.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 05 Sep 2014 18:04:20 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
>> notbob wrote:
>> >
>> > What's the best way (easiest, fastest, least hassle) to clarify
>> > butter? I don't want ghee, unless you can make it easier than
>> > clarifying.
>> > Microwave? Jes skimming? A jillion gadgets out there and no butter
>> > clarifying gizmo? Need to clarify about 1 lb of butter.
>> >
>> > nb

>> Put it in a small sauce pan and turn the heat on the lowest setting.
>> Not many minutes later you can pour off the top layer and leave the
>> solids below.
>>

> That's too easy, Gary.

Yes, there must surely be something wrong with his technique. ;-)

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/6/14, 2:14 AM, Cheri wrote:

>>> Put it in a small sauce pan and turn the heat on the lowest setting.
>>> Not many minutes later you can pour off the top layer and leave the
>>> solids below.
>>>

>> That's too easy, Gary.

> Yes, there must surely be something wrong with his technique. ;-)

There is. If you don't skim, you don't get clarified butter.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-09-06, pltrgyst > wrote:

> There is. If you don't skim, you don't get clarified butter.

Yep. I've tried microwave, stovetop, etc. I found a better skimmer
in the drawer, but not a better way to actually skim off the top.
It's jes slow and tedious. Now you know what food prep guys do.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

pltrgyst wrote:

> >> That's too easy, Gary.

> > Yes, there must surely be something wrong with his technique. ;-)

> There is. If you don't skim, you don't get clarified butter.
>
> -- Larry

Doing it my way, I rarely need to skim the top. That happens with
higher heat but not with the low and slow method. All the solids
settle to the bottom.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, September 4, 2014 3:25:15 PM UTC-4, notbob wrote:
> What's the best way (easiest, fastest, least hassle) to clarify
> butter? I don't want ghee, unless you can make it easier than clarifying.
> Microwave? Jes skimming? A jillion gadgets out there and no butter
> clarifying gizmo? Need to clarify about 1 lb of butter.

Use a gravy separator. Melt butter in a pan, then pour it into
the gravy separator. Let it sit for a minute to let the solids either
float to the top or sink to the bottom.

The first little bit out of the spout will be some of the solids that
float. Discard it. The next bit will be mostly the solids that sank
to the bottom. Discard that too. The rest will be clarified butter.
Throw pan and separator into the dishwasher.

(Actually, I don't discard any of the solids, but instead save them
to smear on English muffins, whatever.)

--
Silvar Beitel