Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Clarified butter (ghee):

Do you find it beneficial to use clarified butter when called for?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 28, 4:37*pm, Kalmia > wrote:
> *Do you find it beneficial to use clarified butter when called for?

Called for what...the second coming?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> Growing up clarified butter was for artichokes.

Why on earth would you bother?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" > wrote in message

> Do you find it beneficial to use clarified butter when called for?

yes. why do you ask?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" > wrote in message

> Do you find it beneficial to use clarified butter when called for?

Not sure. I think I have only ever used one recipe that called for it.
That was a great many years ago. I can't even remember what it was but I
think asparagus was involved. It was something I wouldn't eat. My husband
did. No complaints. Not sure if it would have worked or not if I had used
regular butter.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/28/12 7:37 PM, Kalmia wrote:

> Do you find it beneficial to use clarified butter when called for?

I usually use commercial jars of ghee, rather than clarifying a pound of
butter at a time, as I used to.

I use ghee almost daily, either straight or mixed with olive oil. It's
one of the most valuable items within arm's reach of my cooktop.

My big twelve things I'm always reaching for:

1. Salts
2. Peppers
3. Olive oils
4. House spice mix
5. Ghee
6. Sugar
7. Chicken stock
8. Bacon fat
9. Honey
10. Balsamic vinegar
11. Soy sauce
12. Tomato paste

(off the top of my head, not including vegetables like garlic, shallots,
onion, etc.)

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" > wrote in message

> Do you find it beneficial to use clarified butter when called for?

Given that I use if in Indian cooking, and the recipes specify it, I do use
it. I can't imagine using butter for the same dishes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 28, 9:53*pm, pltrgyst > wrote:

> I use ghee almost daily, either straight or mixed with olive oil. It's
> one of the most valuable items within arm's reach of my cooktop.

I know what clarified butter is but have never made it. My
grandmother used it for all cooking calling for butter. I have made
some of her dishes - not bad - but in the spirit of replication
something was missing, and I have determined it was the clarified
butter she used. She had one dish that calls for browning meat cubes
in butter and then tossing in a bunch of string beans on top of the
meat for about 45, stirring only after they've wilted a bit. My
version, which I made several times, was always ok, but there seemed
to be something lacking. I am sure it was the clarified butter. Her
string beans always came out slightly darker and more flavorful. I
suppose the clarified butter is not necessary for any dish, but I'm
sure it's a bonus for some. I don't think she refrigerated her. It
always sat by the stove with a cover over it most of the time,
sometimes not. I guess with her being in the kitchen the turn-over
rate was high. But I remember that butter and it's rich smell. I
definitely think it makes a difference in some dishes and may one day
put it to the test by making some clarified butter for my own use.
(unless it's too much work, in which case that's one more thing I'll
know a little less about).

TJ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ad wrote:

>> Do you find it beneficial to use clarified butter when called for?

> It's in part a technical matter, ghee having a higher smoke point.

In fact the recipe for cotoletta alla milanese calls for clarified butter
exactly for that reason.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 28, 8:52*pm, Ad > wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Aug 2012 16:37:01 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
>
> > wrote:
>
> > Do you find it beneficial to use clarified butter when called for?

> It's in part a technical matter, ghee having a higher smoke point.
>
> Ad

That's correct . You can fry and brown items at a high temperature
without burning the butter. This allows one to use butter instead of
oil and gives a different dimension to the flavor.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ad wrote:

> > Do you find it beneficial to use clarified butter when called for?

> It's in part a technical matter, ghee having a higher smoke point.

Not to mention milking the yak.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 11:17:33 -0400, George M. Middius
> wrote:

>Ad wrote:
>
>> > Do you find it beneficial to use clarified butter when called for?

>> It's in part a technical matter, ghee having a higher smoke point.

>Not to mention milking the yak.

no yak need be involved, cow is just fine.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick wrote:

> >> It's in part a technical matter, ghee having a higher smoke point.

> >Not to mention milking the yak.
> >

> no yak need be involved, cow is just fine.

Sorry, but you can't get ghee from a cow.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-08-29 01:53:08 +0000, pltrgyst said:

> On 8/28/12 7:37 PM, Kalmia wrote:
>
>> Do you find it beneficial to use clarified butter when called for?

> I usually use commercial jars of ghee, rather than clarifying a pound
> of butter at a time, as I used to.
>
> I use ghee almost daily, either straight or mixed with olive oil. It's
> one of the most valuable items within arm's reach of my cooktop.

What do you use it for.

> My big twelve things I'm always reaching for:
>
> 1. Salts
> 2. Peppers
> 3. Olive oils
> 4. House spice mix

This is *your* house spice mix? What's in it?

> 5. Ghee
> 6. Sugar
> 7. Chicken stock
> 8. Bacon fat
> 9. Honey
> 10. Balsamic vinegar
> 11. Soy sauce
> 12. Tomato paste
>
> (off the top of my head, not including vegetables like garlic,
> shallots, onion, etc.)
>
> -- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-08-29 07:55:46 +0000, ViLco said:

> Ad wrote:
>
>>> Do you find it beneficial to use clarified butter when called for?

>> It's in part a technical matter, ghee having a higher smoke point.

> In fact the recipe for cotoletta alla milanese calls for clarified
> butter exactly for that reason.

That's what I've always heard. So when one wants to cook in butter but
wants to cook at a higher temperature, one uses ghee. Is that pretty
much it?

Oil's smoke point is much higher than butter too, so--except for the
flavor profile--it would be about the same thing as ghee, right?

I've always assume that Indian's used ghee because vegetable oils were
difficult to come by or hard to keep or something.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 11:48:31 -0400, George M. Middius
> wrote:

>> >Not to mention milking the yak.
>> >

>> no yak need be involved, cow is just fine.

>Sorry, but you can't get ghee from a cow.

see Religious Use in this article
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghee
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/29/12 12:11 PM, gtr wrote:> On 2012-08-29 01:53:08 +0000, pltrgyst
said:

>> I use ghee almost daily, either straight or mixed with olive oil. It's
>> one of the most valuable items within arm's reach of my cooktop.

> What do you use it for.

As you guessed, ".... when one wants to cook in butter but wants to cook
at a higher temperature...."

>> 4. House spice mix

> This is *your* house spice mix? What's in it?

Yes. They constantly evolve. I keep three containers: one that includes
spicy red pepper mixes, one that includes as little red pepper as
possible, and one of mixes with a lot of salt.

Whenever I mix spices for a specific dish, the remnants go into one of
the three containers.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 14:09:04 -0400, pltrgyst >
wrote:

> On 8/29/12 12:11 PM, gtr wrote:> On 2012-08-29 01:53:08 +0000, pltrgyst
> said:
> >

> >> 4. House spice mix

> > This is *your* house spice mix? What's in it?

> Yes. They constantly evolve. I keep three containers: one that includes
> spicy red pepper mixes, one that includes as little red pepper as
> possible, and one of mixes with a lot of salt.
>
> Whenever I mix spices for a specific dish, the remnants go into one of
> the three containers.

Laugh! I never had a "house" spice mix before a few months ago when
my 18 month old granddaughter carefully mixed the salt and pepper
while I was busy doing something. Now I call it GD's Special Mix and
actually made more on purpose when I ran out of what she mixed. I've
often thought that I should do a Paula Deen thing and make a "House
Mix" that includes garlic because I use all three a lot... but I'd
definitely switch the amounts for salt & pepper if I followed a recipe
from the internet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 29, 11:14*am, Helpful person > wrote:

> That's correct . *You can fry and brown items at a high temperature
> without burning the butter. *This allows one to use butter instead of
> oil and gives a different dimension to the flavor.

I had a feeling that might be the case because when I make the
same string beans and meat dish my grandmother used to make with
clarified butter the beans don't turn out as nice and dark as hers
did. I always thought the butter might be the difference because
other than that everything I used and how I used it was pretty much
the same as her method. I do have a question thought. My grandmother
kept hers out, by the stove - don't think she ever refrigerated it.
But she also did a lot of cooking, so maybe it probably didn't hang
around long. Is it true that clarified butter can be left out, and if
so, for how long would you say? Sounds like a hassle to make the
stuff, but I know that flavor and I think I'd like it in some of the
things I make.

Thanks,
TJ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/29/12 2:53 PM, Tommy Joe wrote:

> .... I do have a question thought. My grandmother
> kept hers out, by the stove - don't think she ever refrigerated it.
> But she also did a lot of cooking, so maybe it probably didn't hang
> around long. Is it true that clarified butter can be left out, and if
> so, for how long would you say?

Yes. You can keep it at in an airtight jar at room temperature for up to
60 days. Just make sure that every implement that goes into the jar is
absolutely clean, to avoid contaminants.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-08-29 18:44:53 +0000, sf said:

> Laugh! I never had a "house" spice mix before a few months ago when
> my 18 month old granddaughter carefully mixed the salt and pepper
> while I was busy doing something. Now I call it GD's Special Mix and
> actually made more on purpose when I ran out of what she mixed. I've
> often thought that I should do a Paula Deen thing and make a "House
> Mix" that includes garlic because I use all three a lot... but I'd
> definitely switch the amounts for salt & pepper if I followed a recipe
> from the internet.

I suppose a "house mix" would be useful if I always found myself
wanting the same seasonings. But I always seem to want a *different*
four.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

gtr wrote:

> I suppose a "house mix" would be useful if I always found myself
> wanting the same seasonings. But I always seem to want a *different*
> four.

Is that so? I suppose you itemize religiously....

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/29/12 8:29 PM, George M. Middius wrote:
> gtr wrote:
>
>> I suppose a "house mix" would be useful if I always found myself
>> wanting the same seasonings. But I always seem to want a *different*
>> four.

> Is that so? I suppose you itemize religiously....

My dog, but you're a complete asshole.

{plonk}

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 29, 3:44*pm, pltrgyst > wrote:

> Yes. You can keep it at in an airtight jar at room temperature for up to
> 60 days. Just make sure that every implement that goes into the jar is
> absolutely clean, to avoid contaminants.

Now, question number two, usually more stupid than the first one -
is it bad to refrigerate the clarified butter? I mean, it won't ruin
it in any way, will it? Your suggestions are good though. Even
living alone and wanting to use a utensil I used and cleaned only
hours earlier I will always run it under water before using it. Never
made the stuff we're talking about but know and love the smell and
taste on certain things. I think I might make some soon.

TJ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

gtr wrote:

>> In fact the recipe for cotoletta alla milanese calls for clarified
>> butter exactly for that reason.

> Oil's smoke point is much higher than butter too, so--except for the
> flavor profile--it would be about the same thing as **ghee**, right?

I'm talking about clarified butter because I remember someone say that ghee
is somewhat different, or made with a different process. So, change "ghee
with "clarified butter" and my answer is yes.

> I've always assume that Indian's used ghee because vegetable oils were
> difficult to come by or hard to keep or something.

That sure is a controbutory cause, that and the fact that butter without
water has a higher smoke point.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-08-30, ViLco > wrote:

> I'm talking about clarified butter because I remember someone say that ghee
> is somewhat different, or made with a different process. So, change "ghee
> with "clarified butter" and my answer is yes.

As I understand it, clarified is just that. The milk solids are
skimmed out and that's it. Ghee is clarified, then cooked a tad bit
longer to impart a nutty flavor, a slightly browned clarified butter,
so to speak. So I've heard. Don't take it as gospel.

nb

--
Definition of objectivism:
"Eff you! I got mine."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ad wrote:

>> I'm talking about clarified butter because I remember someone say
>> that ghee is somewhat different, or made with a different process.
>> So, change "ghee with "clarified butter" and my answer is yes.

> I thought they were the same thing, but you're right:
>
> http://whatscookingamerica.net/Q-A/ButterGhee.htm

Thanks for clarifying

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-08-30 12:56:46 +0000, ViLco said:

> Ad wrote:
>
>>> I'm talking about clarified butter because I remember someone say
>>> that ghee is somewhat different, or made with a different process.
>>> So, change "ghee with "clarified butter" and my answer is yes.

>> I thought they were the same thing, but you're right:
>>
>> http://whatscookingamerica.net/Q-A/ButterGhee.htm

> Thanks for clarifying

In actual practice then, there is very little difference.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/30/2012 2:31 AM, notbob wrote:
> On 2012-08-30, ViLco > wrote:
>

>> I'm talking about clarified butter because I remember someone say that ghee
>> is somewhat different, or made with a different process. So, change "ghee
>> with "clarified butter" and my answer is yes.

> As I understand it, clarified is just that. The milk solids are
> skimmed out and that's it. Ghee is clarified, then cooked a tad bit
> longer to impart a nutty flavor, a slightly browned clarified butter,
> so to speak. So I've heard. Don't take it as gospel.
>
> nb

The reason for ghee is to make butter suitable for frying. I don't like
frying with butter because that black stuff is plain nasty. I fry eggs
using my tub of soft-spread butter-substitute material. I use it mostly
for eggs and grilled cheese sandwich. It's a lot easier than having to
make ghee. Before the advent of these oil/water emulsions, I used Nucoa
margarine as a substitute for butter/ghee in frying.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> On 2012-08-30, ViLco > wrote:
>

> > I'm talking about clarified butter because I remember someone say that ghee
> > is somewhat different, or made with a different process. So, change "ghee
> > with "clarified butter" and my answer is yes.

> As I understand it, clarified is just that. The milk solids are
> skimmed out and that's it. Ghee is clarified, then cooked a tad bit
> longer to impart a nutty flavor, a slightly browned clarified butter,
> so to speak. So I've heard. Don't take it as gospel.

So.....are the milk solids used too after clarifying butter? Surely there
must be a good use for them too.

G.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:

> So.....are the milk solids used too after clarifying butter? Surely there
> must be a good use for them too.

Put them back in the butter, of course. Why use butter at all if
you're going to neuter it?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/30/2012 11:35 AM, George M. Middius wrote:
> Gary wrote:
>
>> So.....are the milk solids used too after clarifying butter? Surely there
>> must be a good use for them too.

> Put them back in the butter, of course. Why use butter at all if
> you're going to neuter it?

Ghee is sorta like the white chocolate of butters.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George M. Middius" wrote:

> Gary wrote:
>
> > So.....are the milk solids used too after clarifying butter? Surely there
> > must be a good use for them too.

> Put them back in the butter, of course. Why use butter at all if
> you're going to neuter it?

that's what I was wondering. I've never understood the need to clarify it.
But if you do, there must be a use for the solids too?

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George M. Middius" wrote:

> Gary wrote:
>
> > So.....are the milk solids used too after clarifying butter? Surely there
> > must be a good use for them too.

> Put them back in the butter, of course. Why use butter at all if
> you're going to neuter it?

that's what I was wondering. I've never understood the need to clarify it.
But if you do, there must be a use for the solids too?

G.

I may have sent this post to a personal address - please excuse me if I
did. I AIN'T STALKING NOBODY!

Probably the most important reason is so you can fry with it. There's
nothing special about ghee - it's just the kind of fat that was
available. In this country, people routinely used pork fat because
that's what they could render. These days, we mostly use vegetable oil.
My guess is that's what the Indians use too.

I've never read anything about what should be done with the milk solids
in cookbooks. It's a mystery.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/29/2012 2:44 PM, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 14:09:04 -0400, pltrgyst >
> wrote:

>> > This is *your* house spice mix? What's in it?

>> Yes. They constantly evolve. I keep three containers: one that includes
>> spicy red pepper mixes, one that includes as little red pepper as
>> possible, and one of mixes with a lot of salt.
>>
>> Whenever I mix spices for a specific dish, the remnants go into one of
>> the three containers.
>>

> Laugh! I never had a "house" spice mix before a few months ago when
> my 18 month old granddaughter carefully mixed the salt and pepper
> while I was busy doing something. Now I call it GD's Special Mix and
> actually made more on purpose when I ran out of what she mixed. I've
> often thought that I should do a Paula Deen thing and make a "House
> Mix" that includes garlic because I use all three a lot... but I'd
> definitely switch the amounts for salt & pepper if I followed a recipe
> from the internet.

I have a pepper grinder that has a couple of different pepper corns,
salt, and garlic. I use it all the time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/30/2012 8:56 AM, ViLco wrote:
> Ad wrote:
>
>>> I'm talking about clarified butter because I remember someone say
>>> that ghee is somewhat different, or made with a different process.
>>> So, change "ghee with "clarified butter" and my answer is yes.

>> I thought they were the same thing, but you're right:
>>
>> http://whatscookingamerica.net/Q-A/ButterGhee.htm

> Thanks for clarifying

Nice pun.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/30/2012 3:10 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> The reason for ghee is to make butter suitable for frying. I don't like
> frying with butter because that black stuff is plain nasty. I fry eggs
> using my tub of soft-spread butter-substitute material. I use it mostly
> for eggs and grilled cheese sandwich. It's a lot easier than having to
> make ghee. Before the advent of these oil/water emulsions, I used Nucoa
> margarine as a substitute for butter/ghee in frying.

Both of them can be cooked at a lower heat, so the application is valid.
I don't use butter sub anymore for anything but I know many do for
various reasons.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-08-30 21:59:02 +0000, dsi1 said:

> On 8/30/2012 11:35 AM, George M. Middius wrote:
>> Gary wrote:
>>
>>> So.....are the milk solids used too after clarifying butter? Surely there
>>> must be a good use for them too.

>> Put them back in the butter, of course. Why use butter at all if
>> you're going to neuter it?
>>

> Ghee is sorta like the white chocolate of butters.

Ack! White chocolate isn't chocolate. But Ghee is butter.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/30/2012 4:18 PM, gtr wrote:
> On 2012-08-30 21:59:02 +0000, dsi1 said:

>>> Put them back in the butter, of course. Why use butter at all if
>>> you're going to neuter it?
>>>

>> Ghee is sorta like the white chocolate of butters.

> Ack! White chocolate isn't chocolate. But Ghee is butter.

You're right - I was just kidding.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote:

>>> I thought they were the same thing, but you're right:
>>> http://whatscookingamerica.net/Q-A/ButterGhee.htm

>> Thanks for clarifying

> Nice pun.

LOL, thanks, I didn't realize it