Alexis Siefert

Default Questions about a Meringue pie

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> Alexis Siefert wrote:
>
> > I'm doing a "test" lemon pie tonight (the actual birthday isn't until next
> > week, so I'm trying out a half-dozen or so lemon recipes). Tonight it's a
> > lemon and sour cream pie, and I have two questions.
> >
> > The first is about the actual directions. In short:
> >
> > sugar, cornstarch, salt. Mixed in a saucepan. Milk added. Cooked until
> > thickened. 3 large egg yolks beaten until thick and pale. Tempered the
> > eggs
> > with about 1/4th of the hot milk mixture, then stirred that back into the
> > remaining hot mixture. Cooked over low heat, stirring, until thickened.
> > Removed from heat. Added butter, lemon rind, and lemon juice. Cover and
> > chill. Stir in sour cream. Spoon into pastry shell.
> >
> > "Beat egg whites, cream of tartar, and vanilla at high speed of an electric
> > mixer until foamy. Gradually add remaining sugar, 1 T at a time, beating
> > until
> > stiff peaks form and sugar dissolves. Spread meringue over hot filling."
> >
> > There's my question. The instructions just told me to chill the filling
> > before
> > adding the sour cream, then it's a hot filling again? Am I missing
> > something?
> >
> > Next question -- storing this overnight. No one is going to eat this until
> > get to work tomorrow. I haven't done a pie like this before, but for some
> > reason I have visions of this turning to liquid in the fridge overnight.
> > What's best?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Alexis.

> Your recipe is a combination of 2 different recipes. The one with the
> chilled filling is not supposed to have meringue (just a lemon custard),
> then someone tacked a meringue recipe on the end. You could probably
> get it to work if you used an Italian Meringue (it's cooked with boiling
> syrup before you top the pie with it)
>
> Here's my lemon meringue pie recipe. The meringue usually weeps because
> I don't make it often enough to perfect my technique:
>
> Lemon Meringue Pie (for 10" pan)
> 2 cups sugar
> 2 cups water
> 4 Tbsp flour
> 4 Tbsp cornstarch
> 1/8 tsp salt
> 3 Tbsp butter
> 1 tsp grated lemon peel
> 1/2 cup lemon juice
> 4 egg yolks (save whites for meringue)
>
> Combine sugar, water, starch, flour, and salt in medium saucepan. Cook
> over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until thick and bubbly.
> Reduce heat to low and cook 2 minutes more. Beat egg yolks slightly.
> Slowly beat about 1 cup of the hot mixture into the egg yolks, then
> return the egg yolk mixture to the saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil,
> cook and stir 2 minutes more. Stir in butter and lemon peel. Slowly
> stir in lemon juice. Pour hot filling into baked 10 inch pie shell.
> Top with meringue and seal to edges; bake in a 350 degree oven for about
> [...]

Thank you, Bob!

I'd already prepared the recipe when I posted my question (yes, I know,
jump first, ask questions later, not always the best course of action)
and, surprisingly, it worked. I semi-chilled the filling before adding
the sour cream, about 10-15 minutes covered, in the original sauce pan,
in my refrigerator, then I added it to the baked pie crust. The filling
was warm but not hot (which, I know, isn't the recommended temperature
for adding a meringue topping). I made the meringue, topped the filling
with it, sealed the edges with the meringue then baked it. It peaked
and browned beautifully. Better than I'd anticipated, in fact.

I did some online reading and decided not to put the pie in the fridge
overnight. I cooled the pie on a wire rack, then covered it with a foil
tent (I'd have preferred to cover it with a bowl, but I didn't have one
that would fit over the pie without smudging the edges of the crust).
This morning it was still beautiful looking. No moisture, no weeping,
no beading. Feeling rather confident, I put the pie in the passenger
seat of my car and headed to work.

The "rather confident" part was obviously my mistake.

Before stopping for my coffee, I made a quick stop into the bagel shop
for a breakfast bite. Forgetting that the pie was in the car seat next
to me, I got back into the car and tossed my paperback book into the
seat. Directly on top of the foil-tent-covered pie.

I made Lemon Sour Cream Smush.

It was delicious :-) Not pretty, but delicious.

Alexis.
Kate ......

Alexis Siefert wrote:

> [...]

> I did some online reading and decided not to put the pie in the fridge
> overnight. I cooled the pie on a wire rack, then covered it with a foil
> tent (I'd have preferred to cover it with a bowl, but I didn't have one
> that would fit over the pie without smudging the edges of the crust).
> This morning it was still beautiful looking. No moisture, no weeping,
> no beading. Feeling rather confident, I put the pie in the passenger
> seat of my car and headed to work.
>
> The "rather confident" part was obviously my mistake.
>
> Before stopping for my coffee, I made a quick stop into the bagel shop
> for a breakfast bite. Forgetting that the pie was in the car seat next
> to me, I got back into the car and tossed my paperback book into the
> seat. Directly on top of the foil-tent-covered pie.
>
> I made Lemon Sour Cream Smush.
>
> It was delicious :-) Not pretty, but delicious.

My aunt sent me a recipe that she says, their family just loves. It has raw eggs
in it. But you freeze it after you make it. Eat it as a frozen desert. She thinks
I'm nuts for being afraid of it. hugs, kate

After the Deletion of Google Answers U Got Questions Fills the Gap Answering and Asking the Tough Questions Linux Flash Drives General Cooking 0 07-05-2007 06:38 PM
Meringue help [email protected] General Cooking 13 07-07-2006 11:58 PM
meringue cookies and almond meringue cookies Bob (this one) General Cooking 3 19-12-2005 01:43 PM
Meringue questions Geoman1 Baking 4 03-12-2005 07:12 PM
Meringue Pie with Jam cmo Recipes 0 31-12-2004 06:31 PM