Old 03-10-2004, 12:43 PM
Charles Gifford

Default REC: Scallops in Mushroom Sauce

SCALLOPS IN MUSHROOM SAUCE

Recipe from: "The Art of Irish Cooking", Monica Sheridan, 1965

[ ] are Charlie's notes

8 medium sea scallops
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper
1/2 cup milk [use full fat milk]
1 onion [chopped]
2 tbs. butter
2 tbs. flour
1/2 cup cream
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/2 tbs. Irish whiskey
1/4 lb. small mushrooms [chopped]
browned breadcrumbs
[additional butter for dotting]

Simmer the scallops, bay leaf, salt and pepper in milk for 5 minutes. Remove
the scallops and cut into 4 or 5 slices. Strain the milk and reserve.

Melt [soften] the chopped onion in butter. Now add flour, stir well.
Gradually add heated milk and cream, crushed garlic, and whiskey [I use a
whole tbs.]. Cook for 5 minutes. Lastly, add chopped mushrooms and sliced
scallops. Butter 4 deep scallop shells and divide the mixture among them [I
use small ramekins]. Top with breadcrumbs and dots of butter and brown under
the broiler [/grill]. 4 servings.

Old 03-10-2004, 03:45 PM
limey

"Charles Gifford" wrote:

SCALLOPS IN MUSHROOM SAUCE

snipped and saved

Thanks, Charlie - I'm always looking for different ways to prepare scallops.
(I'm going to use Scotch, though - can't fall in love with Irish whiskey!!)

Dora

Old 03-10-2004, 11:40 PM
Charles Gifford

"Felice Friese" wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s03...

"Charles Gifford" wrote in message
nk.net...
[...]

COQUILLES ST. PATRICK?

Felice

HaHa! Quite possibly! Every recipe is inspired by another. This would be a
variation on a classic. Thanks for the smile!

Charlie

Old 03-10-2004, 11:45 PM
Charles Gifford

"limey" wrote in message

"Charles Gifford" wrote:

SCALLOPS IN MUSHROOM SAUCE

snipped and saved

Thanks, Charlie - I'm always looking for different ways to prepare

scallops.
(I'm going to use Scotch, though - can't fall in love with Irish

whiskey!!)

Dora

I don't know Dora. Perhaps if you used a Scotch that was light on the smoke
factor. I'd substitute Canadian if I didn't want to use Irish.

Charlie

Old 04-10-2004, 12:26 AM
limey

"limey" wrote in message

"Charles Gifford" wrote:

SCALLOPS IN MUSHROOM SAUCE

snipped and saved

Thanks, Charlie - I'm always looking for different ways to prepare

scallops.
(I'm going to use Scotch, though - can't fall in love with Irish

whiskey!!)

Dora

I don't know Dora. Perhaps if you used a Scotch that was light on the

smoke
factor. I'd substitute Canadian if I didn't want to use Irish.

Charlie

Charlie, I'm very unknowledgeable about alcoholic beverages - would Canadian
Club work? We have some of that.

Dora

Old 04-10-2004, 01:03 AM
PENMART01

I don't know Dora. Perhaps if you used a Scotch that was light on the
smoke
factor. I'd substitute Canadian if I didn't want to use Irish.

Charlie

Charlie, I'm very unknowledgeable about alcoholic beverages - would Canadian
Club work? We have some of that.

Dora

Canadian Club ain't scotch, but it'll work just fine for me to remove your bra.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Old 04-10-2004, 03:40 PM
limey

"PENMART01" wrote in message

I don't know Dora. Perhaps if you used a Scotch that was light on the

smoke
factor. I'd substitute Canadian if I didn't want to use Irish.

Charlie

Charlie, I'm very unknowledgeable about alcoholic beverages - would

Canadian
Club work? We have some of that.

Dora

Canadian Club ain't scotch, but it'll work just fine for me to remove your

bra.

Sheldon

Dream on, lover!

Dora

Old 04-10-2004, 08:52 PM
Pixmaker

Substitute vermouth for the whiskey/brandy/whatever for an interesting
taste to the cream sauce.

Pixmaker in FLL
==========================
It's not the heat, it's the humidity!
==========================
(...Think the humidity's bad?
You should watch us vote!)

Old 04-10-2004, 08:55 PM
limey

"Pixmaker" wrote in message
Substitute vermouth for the whiskey/brandy/whatever for an interesting
taste to the cream sauce.

Pixmaker in FLL

That'll work - thank you!

Dora

Old 05-10-2004, 12:35 AM
Charles Gifford

"limey" wrote in message

"Charles Gifford" wrote:

SCALLOPS IN MUSHROOM SAUCE

snipped and saved

Thanks, Charlie - I'm always looking for different ways to prepare

scallops.
(I'm going to use Scotch, though - can't fall in love with Irish

whiskey!!)

Dora

I don't know Dora. Perhaps if you used a Scotch that was light on the

smoke
factor. I'd substitute Canadian if I didn't want to use Irish.

Charlie

Charlie, I'm very unknowledgeable about alcoholic beverages - would

Canadian
Club work? We have some of that.

Dora

Yes indeed. CC would work well. Scotch has a very smoky taste that I
wouldn't care for with this dish. Canadian Club would have a gentler taste
and add a bit of sweetness which goes well with scallops.

Charlie

Old 05-10-2004, 12:36 AM
Charles Gifford

"limey" wrote in message

"Pixmaker" wrote in message
Substitute vermouth for the whiskey/brandy/whatever for an interesting
taste to the cream sauce.

Pixmaker in FLL

That'll work - thank you!

Dora

But you would not be making the dish I posted. The flavor would be very
different. Use the Canadian Club.

Charlie