FoodBanter.com

-   -   REC: Scallops in Mushroom Sauce (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/37311-rec-scallops-mushroom-sauce.html)

Charles Gifford 03-10-2004 12:43 PM

REC: Scallops in Mushroom Sauce

SCALLOPS IN MUSHROOM SAUCE

Recipe from: "The Art of Irish Cooking", Monica Sheridan, 1965

[ ] are Charlie's notes

8 medium sea scallops
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper
1/2 cup milk [use full fat milk]
1 onion [chopped]
2 tbs. butter
2 tbs. flour
1/2 cup cream
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/2 tbs. Irish whiskey
1/4 lb. small mushrooms [chopped]
browned breadcrumbs
[additional butter for dotting]

Simmer the scallops, bay leaf, salt and pepper in milk for 5 minutes. Remove
the scallops and cut into 4 or 5 slices. Strain the milk and reserve.

Melt [soften] the chopped onion in butter. Now add flour, stir well.
Gradually add heated milk and cream, crushed garlic, and whiskey [I use a
whole tbs.]. Cook for 5 minutes. Lastly, add chopped mushrooms and sliced
scallops. Butter 4 deep scallop shells and divide the mixture among them [I
use small ramekins]. Top with breadcrumbs and dots of butter and brown under
the broiler [/grill]. 4 servings.

limey 03-10-2004 03:45 PM

"Charles Gifford" wrote:

> SCALLOPS IN MUSHROOM SAUCE

<snipped and saved>

Thanks, Charlie - I'm always looking for different ways to prepare scallops.
(I'm going to use Scotch, though - can't fall in love with Irish whiskey!!)

Dora

limey 03-10-2004 03:45 PM

Charles Gifford 03-10-2004 11:40 PM

"Felice Friese" > wrote in message

> "Charles Gifford" > wrote in message
> nk.net...
> > SCALLOPS IN MUSHROOM SAUCE
> >
> > Recipe from: "The Art of Irish Cooking", Monica Sheridan, 1965
> >
> > [ ] are Charlie's notes
> >
> > 8 medium sea scallops
> > 1 bay leaf
> > salt and pepper
> > 1/2 cup milk [use full fat milk]
> > 1 onion [chopped]
> > 2 tbs. butter
> > 2 tbs. flour
> > 1/2 cup cream
> > 1 clove garlic, crushed
> > 1/2 tbs. Irish whiskey
> > 1/4 lb. small mushrooms [chopped]
> > browned breadcrumbs
> > [additional butter for dotting]
> >
> > Simmer the scallops, bay leaf, salt and pepper in milk for 5 minutes.
> > Remove
> > the scallops and cut into 4 or 5 slices. Strain the milk and reserve.
> >
> > Melt [soften] the chopped onion in butter. Now add flour, stir well.
> > Gradually add heated milk and cream, crushed garlic, and whiskey [I use

> > whole tbs.]. Cook for 5 minutes. Lastly, add chopped mushrooms and

sliced
> > scallops. Butter 4 deep scallop shells and divide the mixture among them
> > [I
> > use small ramekins]. Top with breadcrumbs and dots of butter and brown
> > under
> > the broiler [/grill]. 4 servings.

> COQUILLES ST. PATRICK?
>
> Felice

HaHa! Quite possibly! Every recipe is inspired by another. This would be a
variation on a classic. Thanks for the smile!

Charlie

Charles Gifford 03-10-2004 11:40 PM

Charles Gifford 03-10-2004 11:45 PM

"limey" > wrote in message

> "Charles Gifford" wrote:
>
> > SCALLOPS IN MUSHROOM SAUCE
> >

> <snipped and saved>
>
> Thanks, Charlie - I'm always looking for different ways to prepare

scallops.
> (I'm going to use Scotch, though - can't fall in love with Irish

whiskey!!)

> Dora

I don't know Dora. Perhaps if you used a Scotch that was light on the smoke
factor. I'd substitute Canadian if I didn't want to use Irish.

Charlie

limey 04-10-2004 12:26 AM

"Charles Gifford" wrote in message >
> "limey" wrote in message
>> >

> > "Charles Gifford" wrote:
> >
> > > SCALLOPS IN MUSHROOM SAUCE
> > >

> > <snipped and saved>
> >
> > Thanks, Charlie - I'm always looking for different ways to prepare

> scallops.
> > (I'm going to use Scotch, though - can't fall in love with Irish

> whiskey!!)
> >
> > Dora

> I don't know Dora. Perhaps if you used a Scotch that was light on the

smoke
> factor. I'd substitute Canadian if I didn't want to use Irish.
>
> Charlie

Charlie, I'm very unknowledgeable about alcoholic beverages - would Canadian
Club work? We have some of that.

Dora

PENMART01 04-10-2004 01:03 AM

>> I don't know Dora. Perhaps if you used a Scotch that was light on the
>smoke
>> factor. I'd substitute Canadian if I didn't want to use Irish.
>>
>> Charlie

>Charlie, I'm very unknowledgeable about alcoholic beverages - would Canadian
>Club work? We have some of that.
>
>Dora

Canadian Club ain't scotch, but it'll work just fine for me to remove your bra.
;)

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

limey 04-10-2004 03:40 PM

"PENMART01" wrote in message

> >> I don't know Dora. Perhaps if you used a Scotch that was light on the

> >smoke
> >> factor. I'd substitute Canadian if I didn't want to use Irish.
> >>
> >> Charlie

> >Charlie, I'm very unknowledgeable about alcoholic beverages - would

Canadian
> >Club work? We have some of that.
> >
> >Dora

> Canadian Club ain't scotch, but it'll work just fine for me to remove your

bra.
> ;)
> Sheldon

Dream on, lover!

Dora

Pixmaker 04-10-2004 08:52 PM

Substitute vermouth for the whiskey/brandy/whatever for an interesting
taste to the cream sauce.

Pixmaker in FLL
==========================
It's not the heat, it's the humidity!
==========================
(...Think the humidity's bad?
You should watch us vote!)

limey 04-10-2004 08:55 PM

"Pixmaker" > wrote in message
> Substitute vermouth for the whiskey/brandy/whatever for an interesting
> taste to the cream sauce.
>
> Pixmaker in FLL

That'll work - thank you!

Dora

Charles Gifford 05-10-2004 12:35 AM

"limey" > wrote in message

> "Charles Gifford" wrote in message >

> > > <snipped and saved>
> > >
> > > Thanks, Charlie - I'm always looking for different ways to prepare

> > scallops.
> > > (I'm going to use Scotch, though - can't fall in love with Irish

> > whiskey!!)
> > >
> > > Dora

> > I don't know Dora. Perhaps if you used a Scotch that was light on the

> smoke
> > factor. I'd substitute Canadian if I didn't want to use Irish.
> >
> > Charlie

> Charlie, I'm very unknowledgeable about alcoholic beverages - would

Canadian
> Club work? We have some of that.
>
> Dora

Yes indeed. CC would work well. Scotch has a very smoky taste that I
wouldn't care for with this dish. Canadian Club would have a gentler taste
and add a bit of sweetness which goes well with scallops.

Charlie

Charles Gifford 05-10-2004 12:36 AM

"limey" > wrote in message

> "Pixmaker" > wrote in message
> > Substitute vermouth for the whiskey/brandy/whatever for an interesting
> > taste to the cream sauce.
> >
> > Pixmaker in FLL

> That'll work - thank you!
>
> Dora

But you would not be making the dish I posted. The flavor would be very
different. Use the Canadian Club.

Charlie

Charles Gifford 05-10-2004 12:36 AM

Charles Gifford 05-10-2004 12:37 AM

"Pixmaker" > wrote in message
> Substitute vermouth for the whiskey/brandy/whatever for an interesting
> taste to the cream sauce.
>
> Pixmaker in FLL

That would be a different dish. Post yer own dern recipe!

Charlie

Charles Gifford 05-10-2004 12:37 AM

limey 05-10-2004 07:36 PM

"Charles Gifford" wrote in message >
> "limey" wrote in message
> >
> > Charlie, I'm very unknowledgeable about alcoholic beverages - would

> Canadian
> > Club work? We have some of that.
> >
> > Dora

> Yes indeed. CC would work well. Scotch has a very smoky taste that I
> wouldn't care for with this dish. Canadian Club would have a gentler taste
> and add a bit of sweetness which goes well with scallops.
>
> Charlie

Thanks, Charlie. I have two pounds of scallops sitting in the freezer
right now, so I shall, as we say, "give it a go". The recipe sounds really
good.

Dora

limey 05-10-2004 07:41 PM

"Charles Gifford" wrote in message >
> "limey" wrote in message
> >

> But you would not be making the dish I posted. The flavor would be very
> different. Use the Canadian Club.
>
> Charlie

I plan to do just that, Charlie. Thank you.

Dora