Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Scallops with tarragon cream sauce.

I made pan-seared scallops with a tarragon cream sauce tonight.
It was good, not great. I wasn't expecting the strong licorice
flavor.

The first time I ever drank, it was Uzo, and it was a bad scene.
So I have an aversion to licorice.

With all things being equal, what would you replace the tarragon with?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mitch@... wrote in :

> I made pan-seared scallops with a tarragon cream sauce tonight.
> It was good, not great. I wasn't expecting the strong licorice
> flavor.
>
> The first time I ever drank, it was Uzo, and it was a bad scene.
> So I have an aversion to licorice.
>
> With all things being equal, what would you replace the tarragon with?

garlic and white wine....... and some Italian parsley.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

<Mitch@...> wrote in message
>I made pan-seared scallops with a tarragon cream sauce tonight.
> It was good, not great. I wasn't expecting the strong licorice
> flavor.
>
> The first time I ever drank, it was Uzo, and it was a bad scene.
> So I have an aversion to licorice.
>
> With all things being equal, what would you replace the tarragon with?

Same here but with sake. I rarely use tarragon, mostly with chicken when I
do.

If I had to choose an herb, I'd use a little fresh basil. Just a touch, you
can easily overpower the delicate flavor of the scallops.

Otherwise, I'd fry up some garlic in the pan used to cook the scallops,
deglaze with wine, mount some fresh butter, reduce and thicken with some
cream or leave the cream out.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
news
> On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 01:42:08 GMT, Mitch@... wrote:
>
>> With all things being equal, what would you replace the tarragon with?

> I've never had fresh tarragon, but I use dried tarragon and it
> has a nice mellow, floral flavor. I really like it with chicken
> and in anything with jerk seasoning.
>
> Does anybody else think died tastes like anise/licorice?
>
> -sw

Yeah, it does to me. But I like that flavor, so it doesn't bother me.

Lynne A

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mitch@... asked:

> I made pan-seared scallops with a tarragon cream sauce tonight.
> It was good, not great. I wasn't expecting the strong licorice
> flavor.
>
> The first time I ever drank, it was Uzo, and it was a bad scene.
> So I have an aversion to licorice.
>
> With all things being equal, what would you replace the tarragon with?

I've made scallops with a saffron cream sauce and been happy with the
results. I bet grapefruit zest or lemongrass would work very well, too.
Maybe even Earl Grey tea, but the color might be off-putting. In any of the
cases listed above, you'd have to steep the flavoring agent in hot milk or
cream for a few minutes, then strain it out before thickening.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 20, 6:42 pm, Mitch@... wrote:
> I made pan-seared scallops with a tarragon cream sauce tonight.
> It was good, not great. I wasn't expecting the strong licorice
> flavor.
>
> The first time I ever drank, it was Uzo, and it was a bad scene.
> So I have an aversion to licorice.
>
> With all things being equal, what would you replace the tarragon with?

Try a bit of finely grated lemon rind and a splash of dry white wine
in the sauce. Garnish w/some minced fresh Italian Parsley. Nice
balance that doesn't overpower the scallops. I love tarragon, but
wouldn't use it with something as delicate and expensive as scallops.
Big beautiful fresh sea scallops were $17.99 when I bought them
earlier this month - at that price I want to taste 'em.
Nancy T

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ntantiques > wrote in news:1190356297.420089.64490
@e9g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

> On Sep 20, 6:42 pm, Mitch@... wrote:
>> I made pan-seared scallops with a tarragon cream sauce tonight.
>> It was good, not great. I wasn't expecting the strong licorice
>> flavor.
>>
>> The first time I ever drank, it was Uzo, and it was a bad scene.
>> So I have an aversion to licorice.
>>
>> With all things being equal, what would you replace the tarragon with?

> Try a bit of finely grated lemon rind and a splash of dry white wine
> in the sauce. Garnish w/some minced fresh Italian Parsley. Nice
> balance that doesn't overpower the scallops. I love tarragon, but
> wouldn't use it with something as delicate and expensive as scallops.
> Big beautiful fresh sea scallops were $17.99 when I bought them
> earlier this month

Is that with the roe on?

> - at that price I want to taste 'em.
> Nancy T

Here, they can be picked up as cheap as chips.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 20, 11:45 pm, PeterLucas > wrote:
> ntantiques > wrote in news:1190356297.420089.64490
> @e9g2000prf.googlegroups.com:
>

> > On Sep 20, 6:42 pm, Mitch@... wrote:
> >> I made pan-seared scallops with a tarragon cream sauce tonight.
> >> It was good, not great. I wasn't expecting the strong licorice
> >> flavor.

> >> The first time I ever drank, it was Uzo, and it was a bad scene.
> >> So I have an aversion to licorice.

> >> With all things being equal, what would you replace the tarragon with?

> > Try a bit of finely grated lemon rind and a splash of dry white wine
> > in the sauce. Garnish w/some minced fresh Italian Parsley. Nice
> > balance that doesn't overpower the scallops. I love tarragon, but
> > wouldn't use it with something as delicate and expensive as scallops.
> > Big beautiful fresh sea scallops were $17.99 when I bought them
> > earlier this month

> Is that with the roe on?
>
> > - at that price I want to taste 'em.
> > Nancy T

> Here, they can be picked up as cheap as chips.

No roe...just big fresh gorgeous unadulterated sea scallops. I can
get the crappy "wet" ones or frozen cheaper, but they don't even come
close to these. Boy, do I envy you - here are you located that you
can get such a hot deal?
Nancy T

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ntantiques > wrote in
ups.com:

>> Here, they can be picked up as cheap as chips.

> No roe...just big fresh gorgeous unadulterated sea scallops. I can
> get the crappy "wet" ones or frozen cheaper, but they don't even come
> close to these. Boy, do I envy you - here are you located that you
> can get such a hot deal?

Brisbane, Queensland......... right on the coast. We have several large
seafood retailers, and several fishing boat ports ("fresh off the boat to
you") to choose from. Plus I have a contact who works for Gambaros, and
another who has a mate who owns a trawler :-)

I'm stocking up on my prawns at the moment, got about 10kgs in the
freezer....... Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, creamy garlic and corriander prawns for
dinner, I think!!
When you can get a 5kg box of *fresh* green King prawns for $60....... you
can have prawns for breakfast if you want!! :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 01:42:08 GMT, Mitch@... wrote:

>I made pan-seared scallops with a tarragon cream sauce tonight.
>It was good, not great. I wasn't expecting the strong licorice
>flavor.
>
>The first time I ever drank, it was Uzo, and it was a bad scene.
>So I have an aversion to licorice.
>
>With all things being equal, what would you replace the tarragon with?

I've never equated tarragon with licorice, but tarragon doesn't sound
right with scallops anyway.
--

History is a vast early warning system
Norman Cousins

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 21, 5:21 pm, PeterLucas > wrote:
> ntantiques > wrote roups.com:
>

> >> Here, they can be picked up as cheap as chips.

> > No roe...just big fresh gorgeous unadulterated sea scallops. I can
> > get the crappy "wet" ones or frozen cheaper, but they don't even come
> > close to these. Boy, do I envy you - here are you located that you
> > can get such a hot deal?

> Brisbane, Queensland......... right on the coast. We have several large
> seafood retailers, and several fishing boat ports ("fresh off the boat to
> you") to choose from. Plus I have a contact who works for Gambaros, and
> another who has a mate who owns a trawler :-)
>
> I'm stocking up on my prawns at the moment, got about 10kgs in the
> freezer....... Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, creamy garlic and corriander prawns for
> dinner, I think!!
> When you can get a 5kg box of *fresh* green King prawns for $60....... you
> can have prawns for breakfast if you want!! :-)

Lucky devil. We can get fresh tuna for $2 a pound if we buy off the
docks on the Oregon Coast and terrific farmed oysters in the same area
for 50 cents each, but fresh scallops I have to buy from the
specialty fishmonger in Eugene. Almost worth the trip to OZ.

Nancy T

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ntantiques wrote on Fri, 21 Sep 2007 23:47:14 -0700:

n> On Sep 21, 5:21 pm, PeterLucas > wrote:
??>> ntantiques > wrote
roups.com:
??>>
[...]
??>> :-)

n> Lucky devil. We can get fresh tuna for $2 a pound if we buy
n> off the docks on the Oregon Coast and terrific farmed
n> oysters in the same area for 50 cents each, but fresh
n> scallops I have to buy from the specialty fishmonger in
n> Eugene. Almost worth the trip to OZ.

You make me most envious! I wish I could buy really fresh fish
around here but, despite pretensions and high prices, you just
can't. I know the wonderful taste of fresh fish since I was
brought up in a fishing port and could buy it on the docks too.
My wife's father used to catch his own even it was only from a
day boat.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 02:44:34 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 23:30:56 -0700, sf wrote:
>
>> I've never equated tarragon with licorice, but tarragon doesn't sound
>> right with scallops anyway.

>I never did either, even after using it many many times in dried
>form. But they say it's true: tarragon <-> licorice/anise.
>
>Maybe it's some sort of genetic things, because I don't taste it
>at all.

I taste something, but it's not licorice. Maybe there's a difference
between French, Spanish and Russian tarragon. In any case, I adore
Bernaise Sauce over red meat.

http://www.recipeland.com/recipe/48946/
Classic Bernaise Sauce
A classy and delicious sauce made with chopped shallots, tarragon and
white wine.

Prep. Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Rating: Rate this recipe
Reviews Review this recipe!

Ingredients
1/2 pound butter, unsalted
4 each shallots, finely chopped
2 tablespoons tarragon, fresh, leaves
4 each peppercorns, white, crushed
1/4 cup vinegar, white wine
1/3 cup wine, dry white
4 each egg, yolks
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cayenne, pinch

Directions:

Heat the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat just to melt.
Boil shallots, tarragon, and peppercorns in vinegar and wine in a
nonreactive medium-size saucepan over medium heat until reduced to
about 1/4 cup. Strain into the top of a double boiler. Whisk in the
egg yolks. Place the top over the bottom of the double boiler
containing simmering water. Make sure that the top of the water is
below the bottom of the upper part of the double boiler. Whisk
constantly. The second that the yolk mixture beings to thicken
slightly, remove the top of the double boiler from above the hot water
and continue whisking. Turn off the heat. Add four ice cubes to cool
the hot water a little. Put the pan of yolks back above the hot
water. Whisk in the melted butter, drizzling it in very slowly. If
at any time the sauce looks as if it is about to break, remove the top
and continue whisking to cool it down or whisk in 1 teaspoon cold
water. With constant whisking, whisk in the salt and cayenne. When
all the butter is incorporated, taste and add more salt or cayenne as
needed.

Yield: 1-1/2 cups

© Copyright 1996-2004 metro.isp Inc, www.recipeland.com and Sean
Wenzel. All rights reserved.
Photographs and images © Copyright 2003-2004 Sean Wenzel All rights
reserved. For licensing information contact .
Authorized for personal home use only.
Any other use is strictly forbidden without express written
authorziation. Call +1.416.708.2716 for licensing information.

This stew looks good (I'd roast the vegetables differently, but it's a
start)

Chicken Stew Provencal
http://www.recipeland.com/recipe/38294/

Try something new when it comes to stew with this scrumptious dish
made with green beans and white wine.

Yield: 6 servings
Prep. Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 60 minutes
Total Time: 90 minutes

Ingredients

3 qt vegetables, root, mixed, parsnips, turnips, new
potatoes, onions, baby carrots, cut in 1-inch chunks
2 tablespoons vinegar, balsamic
3 teaspoons tarragon, leaves, divided
1 teaspoon thyme, divided
1/2 teaspoon garlic, instant, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper, black
1/8 teaspoon pepper, cayenne
1 cup beans, green, fresh, cut in 2-inch pieces
3/4 cup wine, dry white
1 1/2 pound chicken, breast halves, boneless, skinless, cut in
2-inch pieces
2 each chicken broth, 13 3/4-ounce cans, low-sodium
3 tablespoons flour
1/2 cup water

Directions:

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray large, heavy nonstick roasting pan
with olive oil cooking spray. Add root vegetables, vinegar, 2 ts
tarragon, 1/2 ts thyme, garlic, salt and peppers; toss to coat. Bake
until vegetables begin to caramelize, about 30 to 45 minutes.

Add green beans and bake until vegetables are tender, about 10 to 15
minutes longer. Remove vegetables to a large bowl; cover to keep
warm. Add wine to pan, scraping brown bits off the bottom. Add
chicken; bake until throughly cooked, about 15 to 20 minutes. Add to
vegetables; cover again. Place roasting pan on top of range. Add
broth; bring to a simmer. Mix flour with 1/2 cup water, stirring
until smooth; add to pan. Cook, stirring constantly, until smooth.
Add remaining tarragon and thyme. Return vegetables and chicken to
pan; toss to coat evenly. Heat through.

Makes 6 servings.

© Copyright 1996-2004 metro.isp Inc, www.recipeland.com and Sean
Wenzel. All rights reserved.
Photographs and images © Copyright 2003-2004 Sean Wenzel All rights
reserved. For licensing information contact .
Authorized for personal home use only.
Any other use is strictly forbidden without express written
authorziation. Call +1.416.708.2716 for licensing information.

--

History is a vast early warning system
Norman Cousins
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 23:30:56 -0700, sf wrote:
>
>> I've never equated tarragon with licorice, but tarragon doesn't sound
>> right with scallops anyway.

>I never did either, even after using it many many times in dried
>form. But they say it's true: tarragon <-> licorice/anise.
>
>Maybe it's some sort of genetic things, because I don't taste it
>at all.

or maybe the licorice flavor isn't very pronounced. In any case, I
adore Bernaise Sauce and can't stand licorice.

Classic Bernaise Sauce
http://www.recipeland.com/recipe/48946/

A classy and delicious sauce made with chopped shallots, tarragon and
white wine.

Yield: 1 servings
Prep. Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes

Ingredients

1/2 pound butter, unsalted
4 each shallots, finely chopped
2 tablespoon tarragon, fresh, leaves
[...]

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 22, 5:18 am, "James Silverton" >
wrote:
> ntantiques wrote on Fri, 21 Sep 2007 23:47:14 -0700:
>
> n> On Sep 21, 5:21 pm, PeterLucas > wrote:
> ??>> ntantiques > wrote
> roups.com:
> ??>>
> ??>>>> Here, they can be picked up as cheap as chips.
> ??>>
> ??>>> No roe...just big fresh gorgeous unadulterated sea
> ??>>> scallops. I can get the crappy "wet" ones or frozen
> ??>>> cheaper, but they don't even come close to these. Boy,
> ??>>> do I envy you - here are you located that you can get
> ??>>> such a hot deal?
> ??>>
> ??>> Brisbane, Queensland......... right on the coast. We have
> ??>> several large seafood retailers, and several fishing boat
> ??>> ports ("fresh off the boat to you") to choose from. Plus I
> ??>> have a contact who works for Gambaros, and another who has
> ??>> a mate who owns a trawler :-)
> ??>>
> ??>> I'm stocking up on my prawns at the moment, got about
> ??>> 10kgs in the freezer....... Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, creamy
> ??>> garlic and corriander prawns for dinner, I think!! When
> ??>> you can get a 5kg box of *fresh* green King prawns for
> ??>> $60....... you can have prawns for breakfast if you want!!
> ??>> :-)
>
> n> Lucky devil. We can get fresh tuna for $2 a pound if we buy
> n> off the docks on the Oregon Coast and terrific farmed
> n> oysters in the same area for 50 cents each, but fresh
> n> scallops I have to buy from the specialty fishmonger in
> n> Eugene. Almost worth the trip to OZ.
>
> You make me most envious! I wish I could buy really fresh fish
> around here but, despite pretensions and high prices, you just
> can't. I know the wonderful taste of fresh fish since I was
> brought up in a fishing port and could buy it on the docks too.
> My wife's father used to catch his own even it was only from a
> day boat.
>
> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland
>
> E-mail, with obvious alterations:
> not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

No Chesapeake Bay fishermen selling off the boat anymore? As I recall
the Bay had some of the best seafood around along with marvelous
oysters and killer crab.

The Oregon Coast is a pleasant hour and a half drive for us, well
worth the trek when we're in the mood. We can toss an ice chest in the
trunk, noodle around on the beach, cruise by the docks to see what
the fishermen are offering and be home in time for dinner. The makings
of a wonderful day. The same seafood from the fishmonger in Eugene is
easily 3-4 times the price and not quite as fresh - sounds like that's
what you're up against.

Nancy T (Who is still dreaming of Peter's Australian Scallops)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ntantiques wrote on Sat, 22 Sep 2007 13:52:43 -0700:

n> On Sep 22, 5:18 am, "James Silverton"
n ??>> You make me most envious! I wish I could buy really
fresh
??>> fish around here but, despite pretensions and high prices,
??>> you just can't. I know the wonderful taste of fresh fish
??>> since I was brought up in a fishing port and could buy it
??>> on the docks too. My wife's father used to catch his own
??>> even it was only from a day boat.
??>>
??>> James Silverton

n> No Chesapeake Bay fishermen selling off the boat anymore? As
n> I recall the Bay had some of the best seafood around along
n> with marvelous oysters and killer crab.

The Bay is in trouble with fertilizer runoff, overfishing etc. I
don't think the alleged "fishermen" in DC are for real. Perhaps,
Baltimore might be better but it's a long way to go for fish. I
must try some of their restaurants again. Around here, the
Crisfield restaurant in Silver Spring used to be good but not
consistently so.

Crabs and shrimp can be OK and also farmed salmon and trout but
not most allegedly fresh white fish like flounder and plaice.
I've had good enough oysters at Legal Seafoods but it's a long
time since I had the great Chincoteague oysters. Unfortunately,
I think many people around here don't know what fresh sea fish
tastes like as I mentioned earlier. Some but not all of the
frozen fish at Trader Joes is OK but it's not the same as fresh.
I will eat their scallops and shrimp and somrtimes mahi-mahi and
orange roughy tho' I think I read that even that is an
endangered species.

There is good sushi around here of course but I think the last
time I saw a delivery truck at a restaurant there was a New
England address on it!

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in news:tyfJi.68
$YN2.31@trndny07:

> I've had good enough oysters at Legal Seafoods but it's a long
> time since I had the great Chincoteague oysters.

Barilla Bay oysters, fresh from the water (the lease is out the back of the
shop) and only AUD$9 a dozen.

http://i4.tinypic.com/5ybzeao.jpg

http://i5.tinypic.com/5y16dqt.jpg

http://i5.tinypic.com/4leuwq8.jpg

That's what I had for my birthday breakfast :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"PeterLucas" > wrote in message
.25...
> Barilla Bay oysters, fresh from the water (the lease is out the back of
> the
> shop) and only AUD$9 a dozen.
>
> http://i4.tinypic.com/5ybzeao.jpg
>
> http://i5.tinypic.com/5y16dqt.jpg
>
> http://i5.tinypic.com/4leuwq8.jpg
>

> That's what I had for my birthday breakfast :-)

Happy Birthday, my friend.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee Dee" > wrote in news:fd4jaj$mbt$1
@registered.motzarella.org:

> "PeterLucas" > wrote in message
> .25...
>> Barilla Bay oysters, fresh from the water (the lease is out the back of
>> the
>> shop) and only AUD$9 a dozen.
>>
>> http://i4.tinypic.com/5ybzeao.jpg
>>
>> http://i5.tinypic.com/5y16dqt.jpg
>>
>> http://i5.tinypic.com/4leuwq8.jpg
>>

>> That's what I had for my birthday breakfast :-)
>>

> Happy Birthday, my friend.

Thanks for that Dee...... it was actually a month ago today :-)

We went down to Tasmania so I could celebrate down there....... and so's
there wasn't a repeat of last years birthday party, which went for 17
days!!! :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 13:52:43 -0700, ntantiques >
wrote:

>On Sep 22, 5:18 am, "James Silverton" >
>wrote:
>>
>> You make me most envious! I wish I could buy really fresh fish
>> around here but, despite pretensions and high prices, you just
>> can't. I know the wonderful taste of fresh fish since I was
>> brought up in a fishing port and could buy it on the docks too.
>> My wife's father used to catch his own even it was only from a
>> day boat.
>>
>> James Silverton

>No Chesapeake Bay fishermen selling off the boat anymore? As I recall
>the Bay had some of the best seafood around along with marvelous
>oysters and killer crab.
>
>The Oregon Coast is a pleasant hour and a half drive for us, well

>Nancy T (Who is still dreaming of Peter's Australian Scallops)

the chesapeake bay has not been in good health for some time. it was
getting better, but now seems again to be on a downward slide. it's
shame, really, mostly due to squabbling between the shoreline states
maryland and virginia. much d.c. sewage ends up there as well.

managing shared resources always seems a problem for states and
localities.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 17:26:37 GMT, blake murphy >
wrote:

>managing shared resources always seems a problem for states and
>localities.

How backwards can they be? It's the 21st century, fer cripe's sake
and they are still operating in the 19th century. Squabbling and
shirking of duty like that means BIG government should step in and
monitor the situation. Can't keep your room clean? Big Daddy will
make sure you do.

--

History is a vast early warning system
Norman Cousins
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 10:43:44 -0700, sf wrote:

>On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 17:26:37 GMT, blake murphy >
>wrote:
>

>>managing shared resources always seems a problem for states and
>>localities.

>How backwards can they be? It's the 21st century, fer cripe's sake
>and they are still operating in the 19th century. Squabbling and
>shirking of duty like that means BIG government should step in and
>monitor the situation. Can't keep your room clean? Big Daddy will
>make sure you do.

as far as i know the feds have kept their noses out of it. i guess
it's not a clear-cut commerce clause issue, the way possessing a gun
in a schoolyard is.

your pal,
blake