Old 21-09-2004, 08:21 PM
Mike

Default "The MSG debate"

The MSG debate
Restaurant owner Louis Cheng prefers using chicken broth instead of
monosodium glutamate (MSG) to flavor the Asian cuisine he serves at
Pacific Rim Coast in Sterling.
at http://www.washtimes.com/metro/20040...5557-5614r.htm

Old 21-09-2004, 09:09 PM
WardNA

prefers using chicken broth instead of
monosodium glutamate (MSG) to flavor the Asian cuisine he serves

A nonsequitur. The usual practice is to use both.
Old 21-09-2004, 09:09 PM
WardNA

Old 21-09-2004, 09:09 PM
WardNA

Old 21-09-2004, 09:40 PM
axlq

WardNA wrote:
prefers using chicken broth instead of
monosodium glutamate (MSG) to flavor the Asian cuisine he serves

A nonsequitur. The usual practice is to use both.

Actually not quite true. And WardNA isn't quite correct.

A Chinese chef once told me that MSG is a cop-out to compensate for
lack of decent effort in preparing good-tasting food. There are
other ways to enhance the flavor of a dish without resorting to MSG.

There IS something you can substitute, but it's not exactly chicken
broth.

The MSG substitute is made by boiling chicken bones until they
disappear; i.e. they are completely dissolved. The resulting
broth has flavor-enhancing effects similar to MSG, but without the
unpleasant medical side effects of MSG.

Or so I was told. I can't deny that this guy's cooking was among
the best I've tasted.

-A

Old 21-09-2004, 10:09 PM
PENMART01

(axlq) puked:

A Chinese chef once told me that MSG is a cop-out to compensate for
lack of decent effort in preparing good-tasting food. There are
other ways to enhance the flavor of a dish without resorting to MSG.

There IS something you can substitute, but it's not exactly chicken
broth.

The MSG substitute is made by boiling chicken bones until they
disappear; i.e. they are completely dissolved. The resulting
broth has flavor-enhancing effects similar to MSG, but without the
unpleasant medical side effects of MSG.

Or so I was told. I can't deny that this guy's cooking was among
the best I've tasted.

-A. ****ing Moron

Didja know you're a ****ing Moron.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

Old 21-09-2004, 11:41 PM
zuuum

"axlq" wrote in message

The MSG substitute is made by boiling chicken bones until they
disappear; i.e. they are completely dissolved. The resulting
broth has flavor-enhancing effects similar to MSG, but without the
unpleasant medical side effects of MSG.

Did you read that before you posted??? (Just checking)

Old 22-09-2004, 06:48 AM
DJS0302

The MSG substitute is made by boiling chicken bones until they
disappear; i.e. they are completely dissolved. The resulting
broth has flavor-enhancing effects similar to MSG, but without the
unpleasant medical side effects of MSG.

What do you boil the bones in to get them to dissolve? Acid?

Old 22-09-2004, 08:27 AM
Gregory Morrow

DJS0302 wrote:

The MSG substitute is made by boiling chicken bones until they
disappear; i.e. they are completely dissolved. The resulting
broth has flavor-enhancing effects similar to MSG, but without the
unpleasant medical side effects of MSG.

What do you boil the bones in to get them to dissolve? Acid?

Remember that old Vincent Price 3 - D horror flick _Terror In The Wax
Museum_...???

--
Best
Greg

Now That The Contraception Debate Is Behind Us, Now We Need To Debate Policy On Converting The Jews Before The End of Days Joe ReBoot General Cooking 0 04-03-2012 03:06 AM
WSJ on the WA ethics debate DaleW Wine 11 30-05-2009 10:36 PM
the soy debate! figsandolives Vegan 9 21-05-2008 10:42 AM
"The MSG debate" Mike Asian Cooking 1 23-09-2004 07:44 AM
BBQ Debate: Charcoal or gas? Jeff General Cooking 110 09-07-2004 08:39 PM