Mike

Default "The MSG debate"

The MSG debate
Restaurant owner Louis Cheng prefers using chicken broth instead of
monosodium glutamate (MSG) to flavor the Asian cuisine he serves at
Pacific Rim Coast in Sterling.
at http://www.washtimes.com/metro/20040...5557-5614r.htm
WardNA

>prefers using chicken broth instead of
>monosodium glutamate (MSG) to flavor the Asian cuisine he serves

A nonsequitur. The usual practice is to use both.
WardNA

>prefers using chicken broth instead of
>monosodium glutamate (MSG) to flavor the Asian cuisine he serves

A nonsequitur. The usual practice is to use both.
WardNA

>prefers using chicken broth instead of
>monosodium glutamate (MSG) to flavor the Asian cuisine he serves

A nonsequitur. The usual practice is to use both.
axlq

In article >,
WardNA > wrote:
>>prefers using chicken broth instead of
>>monosodium glutamate (MSG) to flavor the Asian cuisine he serves

>A nonsequitur. The usual practice is to use both.

Actually not quite true. And WardNA isn't quite correct.

A Chinese chef once told me that MSG is a cop-out to compensate for
lack of decent effort in preparing good-tasting food. There are
other ways to enhance the flavor of a dish without resorting to MSG.

There IS something you can substitute, but it's not exactly chicken
broth.

The MSG substitute is made by boiling chicken bones until they
disappear; i.e. they are completely dissolved. The resulting
broth has flavor-enhancing effects similar to MSG, but without the
unpleasant medical side effects of MSG.

Or so I was told. I can't deny that this guy's cooking was among
the best I've tasted.

-A

axlq

In article >,
WardNA > wrote:
>>prefers using chicken broth instead of
>>monosodium glutamate (MSG) to flavor the Asian cuisine he serves

>A nonsequitur. The usual practice is to use both.

Actually not quite true. And WardNA isn't quite correct.

A Chinese chef once told me that MSG is a cop-out to compensate for
lack of decent effort in preparing good-tasting food. There are
other ways to enhance the flavor of a dish without resorting to MSG.

There IS something you can substitute, but it's not exactly chicken
broth.

The MSG substitute is made by boiling chicken bones until they
disappear; i.e. they are completely dissolved. The resulting
broth has flavor-enhancing effects similar to MSG, but without the
unpleasant medical side effects of MSG.

Or so I was told. I can't deny that this guy's cooking was among
the best I've tasted.

-A
axlq

In article >,
WardNA > wrote:
>>prefers using chicken broth instead of
>>monosodium glutamate (MSG) to flavor the Asian cuisine he serves

>A nonsequitur. The usual practice is to use both.

Actually not quite true. And WardNA isn't quite correct.

A Chinese chef once told me that MSG is a cop-out to compensate for
lack of decent effort in preparing good-tasting food. There are
other ways to enhance the flavor of a dish without resorting to MSG.

There IS something you can substitute, but it's not exactly chicken
broth.

The MSG substitute is made by boiling chicken bones until they
disappear; i.e. they are completely dissolved. The resulting
broth has flavor-enhancing effects similar to MSG, but without the
unpleasant medical side effects of MSG.

Or so I was told. I can't deny that this guy's cooking was among
the best I've tasted.

-A
PENMART01

(axlq) puked:

>A Chinese chef once told me that MSG is a cop-out to compensate for
>lack of decent effort in preparing good-tasting food. There are
>other ways to enhance the flavor of a dish without resorting to MSG.
>
>There IS something you can substitute, but it's not exactly chicken
>broth.
>
>The MSG substitute is made by boiling chicken bones until they
>disappear; i.e. they are completely dissolved. The resulting
>broth has flavor-enhancing effects similar to MSG, but without the
>unpleasant medical side effects of MSG.
>
>Or so I was told. I can't deny that this guy's cooking was among
>the best I've tasted.
>
>-A. ****ing Moron

Didja know you're a ****ing Moron.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
PENMART01

(axlq) puked:

>A Chinese chef once told me that MSG is a cop-out to compensate for
>lack of decent effort in preparing good-tasting food. There are
>other ways to enhance the flavor of a dish without resorting to MSG.
>
>There IS something you can substitute, but it's not exactly chicken
>broth.
>
>The MSG substitute is made by boiling chicken bones until they
>disappear; i.e. they are completely dissolved. The resulting
>broth has flavor-enhancing effects similar to MSG, but without the
>unpleasant medical side effects of MSG.
>
>Or so I was told. I can't deny that this guy's cooking was among
>the best I've tasted.
>
>-A. ****ing Moron

Didja know you're a ****ing Moron.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
zuuum

"axlq" > wrote in message

> The MSG substitute is made by boiling chicken bones until they
> disappear; i.e. they are completely dissolved. The resulting
> broth has flavor-enhancing effects similar to MSG, but without the
> unpleasant medical side effects of MSG.

Did you read that before you posted??? (Just checking)

zuuum

"axlq" > wrote in message

> The MSG substitute is made by boiling chicken bones until they
> disappear; i.e. they are completely dissolved. The resulting
> broth has flavor-enhancing effects similar to MSG, but without the
> unpleasant medical side effects of MSG.

Did you read that before you posted??? (Just checking)

DJS0302

>The MSG substitute is made by boiling chicken bones until they
>disappear; i.e. they are completely dissolved. The resulting
>broth has flavor-enhancing effects similar to MSG, but without the
>unpleasant medical side effects of MSG.

What do you boil the bones in to get them to dissolve? Acid?
DJS0302

>The MSG substitute is made by boiling chicken bones until they
>disappear; i.e. they are completely dissolved. The resulting
>broth has flavor-enhancing effects similar to MSG, but without the
>unpleasant medical side effects of MSG.

What do you boil the bones in to get them to dissolve? Acid?
DJS0302

>The MSG substitute is made by boiling chicken bones until they
>disappear; i.e. they are completely dissolved. The resulting
>broth has flavor-enhancing effects similar to MSG, but without the
>unpleasant medical side effects of MSG.

What do you boil the bones in to get them to dissolve? Acid?
Gregory Morrow

DJS0302 wrote:

> >The MSG substitute is made by boiling chicken bones until they
> >disappear; i.e. they are completely dissolved. The resulting
> >broth has flavor-enhancing effects similar to MSG, but without the
> >unpleasant medical side effects of MSG.

> What do you boil the bones in to get them to dissolve? Acid?

Remember that old Vincent Price 3 - D horror flick _Terror In The Wax
Museum_...???

--
Best
Greg

Gregory Morrow

DJS0302 wrote:

> >The MSG substitute is made by boiling chicken bones until they
> >disappear; i.e. they are completely dissolved. The resulting
> >broth has flavor-enhancing effects similar to MSG, but without the
> >unpleasant medical side effects of MSG.

> What do you boil the bones in to get them to dissolve? Acid?

Remember that old Vincent Price 3 - D horror flick _Terror In The Wax
Museum_...???

--
Best
Greg

Wayne

"Gregory Morrow" > wrote in
nk.net:

> DJS0302 wrote:
>
>> >The MSG substitute is made by boiling chicken bones until they
>> >disappear; i.e. they are completely dissolved. The resulting
>> >broth has flavor-enhancing effects similar to MSG, but without the
>> >unpleasant medical side effects of MSG.

>> What do you boil the bones in to get them to dissolve? Acid?

> Remember that old Vincent Price 3 - D horror flick _Terror In The Wax
> Museum_...???

I thought that was entitled _House of Wax_. Scared the bejeebers out of
me when I was 8 yo.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Wayne

"Gregory Morrow" > wrote in
nk.net:

> DJS0302 wrote:
>
>> >The MSG substitute is made by boiling chicken bones until they
>> >disappear; i.e. they are completely dissolved. The resulting
>> >broth has flavor-enhancing effects similar to MSG, but without the
>> >unpleasant medical side effects of MSG.

>> What do you boil the bones in to get them to dissolve? Acid?

> Remember that old Vincent Price 3 - D horror flick _Terror In The Wax
> Museum_...???

I thought that was entitled _House of Wax_. Scared the bejeebers out of
me when I was 8 yo.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
PENMART01

> "Gregory Morrow"
>
>DJS0302 wrote:
>
>> >The MSG substitute is made by boiling chicken bones until they
>> >disappear; i.e. they are completely dissolved. The resulting
>> >broth has flavor-enhancing effects similar to MSG, but without the
>> >unpleasant medical side effects of MSG.

>> What do you boil the bones in to get them to dissolve? Acid?

>Remember that old Vincent Price 3 - D horror flick _Terror In The Wax
>Museum_...???

No need to go back that far, Toon... Woger Wabbit and "The Dip".

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
PENMART01

> "Gregory Morrow"
>
>DJS0302 wrote:
>
>> >The MSG substitute is made by boiling chicken bones until they
>> >disappear; i.e. they are completely dissolved. The resulting
>> >broth has flavor-enhancing effects similar to MSG, but without the
>> >unpleasant medical side effects of MSG.

>> What do you boil the bones in to get them to dissolve? Acid?

>Remember that old Vincent Price 3 - D horror flick _Terror In The Wax
>Museum_...???

No need to go back that far, Toon... Woger Wabbit and "The Dip".

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

Gregory Morrow

Wayne wrote:

> "Gregory Morrow" > wrote in
> nk.net:

> >> What do you boil the bones in to get them to dissolve? Acid?

> > Remember that old Vincent Price 3 - D horror flick _Terror In The Wax
> > Museum_...???
> >

> I thought that was entitled _House of Wax_. Scared the bejeebers out of
> me when I was 8 yo.

Yep, that's it - the one I mentioned was made IIRC back in the early
30's...I saw _House of Wax_ with 3-D glasses in the early 70's and was
really stunned by what Vincent Price did with a yo - yo...lol.

--
Best
Greg

Gregory Morrow

Wayne wrote:

> "Gregory Morrow" > wrote in
> nk.net:

> >> What do you boil the bones in to get them to dissolve? Acid?

> > Remember that old Vincent Price 3 - D horror flick _Terror In The Wax
> > Museum_...???
> >

> I thought that was entitled _House of Wax_. Scared the bejeebers out of
> me when I was 8 yo.

Yep, that's it - the one I mentioned was made IIRC back in the early
30's...I saw _House of Wax_ with 3-D glasses in the early 70's and was
really stunned by what Vincent Price did with a yo - yo...lol.

--
Best
Greg

Wayne

"Gregory Morrow" > wrote
in ink.net:

> Wayne wrote:
>
>> "Gregory Morrow" >
>> wrote in nk.net:

>> > Remember that old Vincent Price 3 - D horror flick _Terror In The
>> > Wax Museum_...???
>> >

>> I thought that was entitled _House of Wax_. Scared the bejeebers out
>> of me when I was 8 yo.

> Yep, that's it - the one I mentioned was made IIRC back in the early
> 30's...I saw _House of Wax_ with 3-D glasses in the early 70's and was
> really stunned by what Vincent Price did with a yo - yo...lol.

Yeah, the original was the 1933 film _Mystery Of The Wax Museum_. The
Vinacent Price remake was in 1953. I wish I could see it again in 3D.
The yo-yo scene, the barker's paddle-ball scene, and the can-can scene
were all standouts.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Wayne

"Gregory Morrow" > wrote
in ink.net:

> Wayne wrote:
>
>> "Gregory Morrow" >
>> wrote in nk.net:

>> > Remember that old Vincent Price 3 - D horror flick _Terror In The
>> > Wax Museum_...???
>> >

>> I thought that was entitled _House of Wax_. Scared the bejeebers out
>> of me when I was 8 yo.

> Yep, that's it - the one I mentioned was made IIRC back in the early
> 30's...I saw _House of Wax_ with 3-D glasses in the early 70's and was
> really stunned by what Vincent Price did with a yo - yo...lol.

Yeah, the original was the 1933 film _Mystery Of The Wax Museum_. The
Vinacent Price remake was in 1953. I wish I could see it again in 3D.
The yo-yo scene, the barker's paddle-ball scene, and the can-can scene
were all standouts.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Wayne

"Gregory Morrow" > wrote
in ink.net:

> Wayne wrote:
>
>> "Gregory Morrow" >
>> wrote in nk.net:

>> > Remember that old Vincent Price 3 - D horror flick _Terror In The
>> > Wax Museum_...???
>> >

>> I thought that was entitled _House of Wax_. Scared the bejeebers out
>> of me when I was 8 yo.

> Yep, that's it - the one I mentioned was made IIRC back in the early
> 30's...I saw _House of Wax_ with 3-D glasses in the early 70's and was
> really stunned by what Vincent Price did with a yo - yo...lol.

Yeah, the original was the 1933 film _Mystery Of The Wax Museum_. The
Vinacent Price remake was in 1953. I wish I could see it again in 3D.
The yo-yo scene, the barker's paddle-ball scene, and the can-can scene
were all standouts.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.

axlq

In article >,
zuuum > wrote:
>"axlq" > wrote in message
>> The MSG substitute is made by boiling chicken bones until they
>> disappear; i.e. they are completely dissolved. The resulting
>> broth has flavor-enhancing effects similar to MSG, but without the
>> unpleasant medical side effects of MSG.

>Did you read that before you posted??? (Just checking)

Yes. Why? Do you see something inconsistent? The fact that
"chicken broth" and "broth made from chicken bones boiled until
completely dissolved" are two different things, should not have been
lost on anyone.

-A
axlq

In article >,
zuuum > wrote:
>"axlq" > wrote in message
>> The MSG substitute is made by boiling chicken bones until they
>> disappear; i.e. they are completely dissolved. The resulting
>> broth has flavor-enhancing effects similar to MSG, but without the
>> unpleasant medical side effects of MSG.

>Did you read that before you posted??? (Just checking)

Yes. Why? Do you see something inconsistent? The fact that
"chicken broth" and "broth made from chicken bones boiled until
completely dissolved" are two different things, should not have been
lost on anyone.

-A
axlq

In article >,
DJS0302 > wrote:
>>The MSG substitute is made by boiling chicken bones until they
>>disappear; i.e. they are completely dissolved. The resulting
>>broth has flavor-enhancing effects similar to MSG, but without the
>>unpleasant medical side effects of MSG.

>What do you boil the bones in to get them to dissolve? Acid?

Water of course. Or even more chicken broth. Why would you ask?

-A
axlq

In article >,
PENMART01 > wrote:

>Didja know you're a ****ing Moron.

Try not to project your own failings on others. It makes you look
stupid.

-A
WardNA

>>What do you boil the bones in to get them to dissolve? Acid?
>
>Water of course. Or even more chicken broth. Why would you ask?

Anyone might well ask. Chicken bones do not dissolve in boiling water.

WardNA

>>What do you boil the bones in to get them to dissolve? Acid?
>
>Water of course. Or even more chicken broth. Why would you ask?

Anyone might well ask. Chicken bones do not dissolve in boiling water.
PENMART01

>(WardNA) writes:
>
>>>What do you boil the bones in to get them to dissolve? Acid?

>>Water of course. Or even more chicken broth. Why would you ask?

>Anyone might well ask. Chicken bones do not dissolve in boiling water.

Well they will, but it would take years, many, many years.. eons in fact...
just look at all the layers of ancient skeletons composing the sea floor.
Calcified matter just doesn't dissolve all that easily.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
axlq

In article >,
WardNA > wrote:
>>>What do you boil the bones in to get them to dissolve? Acid?

>>Water of course. Or even more chicken broth. Why would you ask?

>Anyone might well ask. Chicken bones do not dissolve in boiling water.

Try it yourself some time.

Perhaps "dissolve" is the wrong word. "Decompose" may be more
appropriate.

-A
DJS0302

>>Anyone might well ask. Chicken bones do not dissolve in boiling water.
>
>Try it yourself some time.
>
>Perhaps "dissolve" is the wrong word. "Decompose" may be more
>appropriate.
>
>-A

Just how long do you have to let these bones cook before they "dissolve"? I've
left chicken bones cooking all day long in a pot for stock or soup and at the
end of the day the bones are still there. They're clean as a whistle, but
they're still there.

DJS0302

>>Anyone might well ask. Chicken bones do not dissolve in boiling water.
>
>Try it yourself some time.
>
>Perhaps "dissolve" is the wrong word. "Decompose" may be more
>appropriate.
>
>-A

Just how long do you have to let these bones cook before they "dissolve"? I've
left chicken bones cooking all day long in a pot for stock or soup and at the
end of the day the bones are still there. They're clean as a whistle, but
they're still there.

PENMART01

>(DJS0302) writes:
>
>>"A-hole" claims"
>>
>>Perhaps "dissolve" is the wrong word. "Decompose" may be more
>>appropriate.
>>
>>-A-hole

>Just how long do you have to let these bones cook before they "dissolve"? I've
>left chicken bones cooking all day long in a pot for stock or soup and at the
>end of the day the bones are still there. They're clean as a whistle, but
>they're still there.

Um, notice the bonehead's sig.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
PENMART01

>(DJS0302) writes:
>
>>"A-hole" claims"
>>
>>Perhaps "dissolve" is the wrong word. "Decompose" may be more
>>appropriate.
>>
>>-A-hole

>Just how long do you have to let these bones cook before they "dissolve"? I've
>left chicken bones cooking all day long in a pot for stock or soup and at the
>end of the day the bones are still there. They're clean as a whistle, but
>they're still there.

Um, notice the bonehead's sig.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon

Now That The Contraception Debate Is Behind Us, Now We Need To Debate Policy On Converting The Jews Before The End of Days Joe ReBoot General Cooking 0 04-03-2012 04:06 AM
WSJ on the WA ethics debate DaleW Wine 11 30-05-2009 10:36 PM
the soy debate! figsandolives Vegan 9 21-05-2008 10:42 AM
"The MSG debate" Mike Asian Cooking 1 23-09-2004 07:44 AM
BBQ Debate: Charcoal or gas? Jeff General Cooking 110 09-07-2004 08:39 PM