axlq

In article >,
WardNA > wrote:
>>prefers using chicken broth instead of
>>monosodium glutamate (MSG) to flavor the Asian cuisine he serves

>A nonsequitur. The usual practice is to use both.

Actually not quite true. And WardNA isn't quite correct.

A Chinese chef once told me that MSG is a cop-out to compensate for
lack of decent effort in preparing good-tasting food. There are
other ways to enhance the flavor of a dish without resorting to MSG.

There IS something you can substitute, but it's not exactly chicken
broth.

The MSG substitute is made by boiling chicken bones until they
disappear; i.e. they are completely dissolved. The resulting
broth has flavor-enhancing effects similar to MSG, but without the
unpleasant medical side effects of MSG.

Or so I was told. I can't deny that this guy's cooking was among
the best I've tasted.

-A