Jack Schidt®

"Pixmaker" > wrote in message
> Having recently experienced yet another hurricane in South Florida, I
> thought we were well prepared for some days without electric power.
> Yes, I had all the supplies stored and the propane lanterns and
> Coleman stoves but. . ..
>
> I forgot about a coffee pot!
>
> We use an under-counter Mister Coffee that's worked well for twelve
> years or so and no one thought about an alternate coffee brewing
> method.
>
> After discussing various ways of doing this trick (and being unwilling
> to fall back on those "coffee bags" we had aplenty for times of
> absolute desperation) I finally gave up and resorted to dumping the
> coffee into a sauce pan of boiling water, letting it sit for a bit,
> then decanting the coffee. I recalled something about the old West
> cowboys doing something like this. And the coffee was spiced with egg
> shells and hot sauce and whatever else seemed appropriate at the time.
> It resulted in coffee but whatever went into it must have made any
> assessment of the coffee quality of secondary importance.
>
> We had a problem filtering the coffee from the grounds. The regular
> filters from the Mister Coffee clogged immediately and allowed only a
> slow drip (about one drop a minute) so they were out. I can't wait
> that long.
>
> I tried cheesecloth with similar results.
>
> An old, aluminum "teaball," when opened up, worked the best but it was
> almost impossible to hold the damned thing and pour boiling coffee
> into it at the same time. Result...blue air and no coffee.
>
> The decanted coffee was drinkable, although a little gritty.
>
> Now, whatever the circumstances, no man should have to struggle so
> mightily for a cup of coffee that assumes the importance of plasma to
> a wounded soldier.
>
> I have to believe there's a better way. At this point, I'm prepared to
> go find an old percolator. Maybe a visit to our local flea market will
> solve my problem.
>
> But I will greatly appreciate any suggestions as how to best solve
> this problem. Boiling lots of water is no problem whatsoever. But time
> is sorta of the essence because there's another one of these tropical
> hummers cooking in the South Atlantic and this seems to be the year
> for us to take multiple hits.
>
> FWIW we do like the Gevalia coffees and use them regularly. I assume
> that's not a problem. However, if a particular coffee is strongly
> recommended, I'm willing to use it. Remember, I'm planning for a
> degree of desperation here.
>
> Your recommendations will be welcomed.

How about boilling the water and using the Mr Coffee unit filter and carafe
as kind of an old style Melitta type rig?

Jack Steep

Jack Schidt®

"Pixmaker" > wrote in message
> Having recently experienced yet another hurricane in South Florida, I
> thought we were well prepared for some days without electric power.
> Yes, I had all the supplies stored and the propane lanterns and
> Coleman stoves but. . ..
>
> I forgot about a coffee pot!
>
> We use an under-counter Mister Coffee that's worked well for twelve
> years or so and no one thought about an alternate coffee brewing
> method.
>
> After discussing various ways of doing this trick (and being unwilling
> to fall back on those "coffee bags" we had aplenty for times of
> absolute desperation) I finally gave up and resorted to dumping the
> coffee into a sauce pan of boiling water, letting it sit for a bit,
> then decanting the coffee. I recalled something about the old West
> cowboys doing something like this. And the coffee was spiced with egg
> shells and hot sauce and whatever else seemed appropriate at the time.
> It resulted in coffee but whatever went into it must have made any
> assessment of the coffee quality of secondary importance.
>
> We had a problem filtering the coffee from the grounds. The regular
> filters from the Mister Coffee clogged immediately and allowed only a
> slow drip (about one drop a minute) so they were out. I can't wait
> that long.
>
> I tried cheesecloth with similar results.
>
> An old, aluminum "teaball," when opened up, worked the best but it was
> almost impossible to hold the damned thing and pour boiling coffee
> into it at the same time. Result...blue air and no coffee.
>
> The decanted coffee was drinkable, although a little gritty.
>
> Now, whatever the circumstances, no man should have to struggle so
> mightily for a cup of coffee that assumes the importance of plasma to
> a wounded soldier.
>
> I have to believe there's a better way. At this point, I'm prepared to
> go find an old percolator. Maybe a visit to our local flea market will
> solve my problem.
>
> But I will greatly appreciate any suggestions as how to best solve
> this problem. Boiling lots of water is no problem whatsoever. But time
> is sorta of the essence because there's another one of these tropical
> hummers cooking in the South Atlantic and this seems to be the year
> for us to take multiple hits.
>
> FWIW we do like the Gevalia coffees and use them regularly. I assume
> that's not a problem. However, if a particular coffee is strongly
> recommended, I'm willing to use it. Remember, I'm planning for a
> degree of desperation here.
>
> Your recommendations will be welcomed.

How about boilling the water and using the Mr Coffee unit filter and carafe
as kind of an old style Melitta type rig?

Jack Steep

Glomis

Pixmaker wrote:
> Having recently experienced yet another hurricane in South Florida, I
> thought we were well prepared for some days without electric power.
> Yes, I had all the supplies stored and the propane lanterns and
> Coleman stoves but. . ..
>
> I forgot about a coffee pot!

>snip<

Coleman makes a coffee maker that you can use with their propane stoves. It
doesn't pump the water obviously but it drip brews and keeps a pot of coffee
hot and works reasonably well otherwise.

I live in Canada and they are readily available at Canadian Tire. I'm sure
they must be available in the US. Here's a horrifically long URL link with
some info and a picture. They sell for $60 Canadian.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortmen...rtment=primary

You might have to copy and paste that rather than click on it.

Cheers!

Glomis

Glomis

Pixmaker wrote:
> Having recently experienced yet another hurricane in South Florida, I
> thought we were well prepared for some days without electric power.
> Yes, I had all the supplies stored and the propane lanterns and
> Coleman stoves but. . ..
>
> I forgot about a coffee pot!

>snip<

Coleman makes a coffee maker that you can use with their propane stoves. It
doesn't pump the water obviously but it drip brews and keeps a pot of coffee
hot and works reasonably well otherwise.

I live in Canada and they are readily available at Canadian Tire. I'm sure
they must be available in the US. Here's a horrifically long URL link with
some info and a picture. They sell for $60 Canadian.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortmen...rtment=primary

You might have to copy and paste that rather than click on it.

Cheers!

Glomis

Glomis

Pixmaker wrote:
> Having recently experienced yet another hurricane in South Florida, I
> thought we were well prepared for some days without electric power.
> Yes, I had all the supplies stored and the propane lanterns and
> Coleman stoves but. . ..
>
> I forgot about a coffee pot!

>snip<

Coleman makes a coffee maker that you can use with their propane stoves. It
doesn't pump the water obviously but it drip brews and keeps a pot of coffee
hot and works reasonably well otherwise.

I live in Canada and they are readily available at Canadian Tire. I'm sure
they must be available in the US. Here's a horrifically long URL link with
some info and a picture. They sell for $60 Canadian.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortmen...rtment=primary

You might have to copy and paste that rather than click on it.

Cheers!

Glomis

hahabogus

Pixmaker > wrote in
:

> Your recommendations will be welcomed.
>

> Pixmaker in FLL
> ==========================
> It's not the heat, it's the humidity!
> ==========================
> (..Think the humidity's bad?
> You should watch us vote!)

A french press is what you want. You add boiling water to coffee grounds
in it's carafe (or vice versa), stir for a bit and punge the filter gizmo
down to the bottom of the carafe ...tada ! fresh brewed coffee!

Now if you want to grind your own beans...Lee valley offers a minature olde
fashion coffee grinder kit (you build a fancy grounds collector box). With
the hand operated coffee grinder, a tupperware bowl and a battery operated
drill...your in business.

--
Last year's nuts must go.
- Michael Odom
hahabogus

Pixmaker > wrote in
:

> Your recommendations will be welcomed.
>

> Pixmaker in FLL
> ==========================
> It's not the heat, it's the humidity!
> ==========================
> (..Think the humidity's bad?
> You should watch us vote!)

A french press is what you want. You add boiling water to coffee grounds
in it's carafe (or vice versa), stir for a bit and punge the filter gizmo
down to the bottom of the carafe ...tada ! fresh brewed coffee!

Now if you want to grind your own beans...Lee valley offers a minature olde
fashion coffee grinder kit (you build a fancy grounds collector box). With
the hand operated coffee grinder, a tupperware bowl and a battery operated
drill...your in business.

--
Last year's nuts must go.
- Michael Odom
hahabogus

Pixmaker > wrote in
:

> Your recommendations will be welcomed.
>

> Pixmaker in FLL
> ==========================
> It's not the heat, it's the humidity!
> ==========================
> (..Think the humidity's bad?
> You should watch us vote!)

A french press is what you want. You add boiling water to coffee grounds
in it's carafe (or vice versa), stir for a bit and punge the filter gizmo
down to the bottom of the carafe ...tada ! fresh brewed coffee!

Now if you want to grind your own beans...Lee valley offers a minature olde
fashion coffee grinder kit (you build a fancy grounds collector box). With
the hand operated coffee grinder, a tupperware bowl and a battery operated
drill...your in business.

--
Last year's nuts must go.
- Michael Odom

smithfarms pure kona

On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 16:42:25 -0700, Pixmaker >
wrote:

>Having recently experienced yet another hurricane in South Florida, I
>thought we were well prepared for some days without electric power.

>FWIW we do like the Gevalia coffees and use them regularly. I assume
>that's not a problem. However, if a particular coffee is strongly
>recommended, I'm willing to use it. Remember, I'm planning for a
>degree of desperation here.
>
>Your recommendations will be welcomed.
>

> Pixmaker in FLL
>==========================
>It's not the heat, it's the humidity!
>==========================
>(..Think the humidity's bad?
> You should watch us vote!)

You might want to try some other coffeesonce you have more time.
Seriously there are many coffees more interesting and more tasty than
Gevalia.

Get fresh roasted, grind them in a burr grinder and then try the
flavor. Might knock your socks off <g>. If you like highly aromatic,
chocolatey, creamy and all natural, try some 100% Kona. We are Kona
coffee farmers. That is all we grow and we are proud of our stuff.

Stay safe.

with aloha from the Pacific ocean,
Thunder

smithfarms.com
Farmers of 100% Kona Coffee
& other Great Stuff
smithfarms pure kona

wrote:

>Having recently experienced yet another hurricane in South Florida, I
>thought we were well prepared for some days without electric power.

>FWIW we do like the Gevalia coffees and use them regularly. I assume
>that's not a problem. However, if a particular coffee is strongly
>recommended, I'm willing to use it. Remember, I'm planning for a
>degree of desperation here.
>
>Your recommendations will be welcomed.
>

> Pixmaker in FLL
>==========================
>It's not the heat, it's the humidity!
>==========================
>(..Think the humidity's bad?
> You should watch us vote!)

You might want to try some other coffeesonce you have more time.
Seriously there are many coffees more interesting and more tasty than
Gevalia.

Get fresh roasted, grind them in a burr grinder and then try the
flavor. Might knock your socks off <g>. If you like highly aromatic,
chocolatey, creamy and all natural, try some 100% Kona. We are Kona
coffee farmers. That is all we grow and we are proud of our stuff.

Stay safe.

with aloha from the Pacific ocean,
Thunder

smithfarms.com
Farmers of 100% Kona Coffee
& other Great Stuff
smithfarms pure kona

wrote:

>Having recently experienced yet another hurricane in South Florida, I
>thought we were well prepared for some days without electric power.

>FWIW we do like the Gevalia coffees and use them regularly. I assume
>that's not a problem. However, if a particular coffee is strongly
>recommended, I'm willing to use it. Remember, I'm planning for a
>degree of desperation here.
>
>Your recommendations will be welcomed.
>

> Pixmaker in FLL
>==========================
>It's not the heat, it's the humidity!
>==========================
>(..Think the humidity's bad?
> You should watch us vote!)

You might want to try some other coffeesonce you have more time.
Seriously there are many coffees more interesting and more tasty than
Gevalia.

Get fresh roasted, grind them in a burr grinder and then try the
flavor. Might knock your socks off <g>. If you like highly aromatic,
chocolatey, creamy and all natural, try some 100% Kona. We are Kona
coffee farmers. That is all we grow and we are proud of our stuff.

Stay safe.

with aloha from the Pacific ocean,
Thunder

smithfarms.com
Farmers of 100% Kona Coffee
& other Great Stuff

Scott

In article >,
Pixmaker > wrote:

> But I will greatly appreciate any suggestions as how to best solve
> this problem. Boiling lots of water is no problem whatsoever. But time
> is sorta of the essence because there's another one of these tropical
> hummers cooking in the South Atlantic and this seems to be the year
> for us to take multiple hits.
>
> FWIW we do like the Gevalia coffees and use them regularly. I assume
> that's not a problem. However, if a particular coffee is strongly
> recommended, I'm willing to use it. Remember, I'm planning for a
> degree of desperation here.
>
> Your recommendations will be welcomed.

Whenever I go camping, I bring along an insulated French press:
<http://tinyurl.com/548pq>
I prefer this over the common glass ones because (1) it's largely
unbreakable, and (2) it keeps the coffee hot while steeping, ensuring
better extraction. As always, when the coffee is done it should be
poured out of the press, else it will over-extract.

You can try one of many styles of non-electric drip brewers:
<http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.brewers.shtml>

I'm not a big fan of Gevalia. I roast my own coffee every week. If you
don't want to do that, try to find a local coffee roaster and invest in
a decent quality burr grinder. For emergencies without electricity, you
might want a backup hand-cranked grinder, like one by Zassenhaus.

I'm not a big Starbie's fan, but they sell a small insulated press
<http://tinyurl.com/3pbsy>
for about $10. When I've had to go to work really early, I put some
ground coffee in it at home, and brought it to work and filled it with
hot water, then decanted into a mug when it was done.

please mail OT responses only
Scott

In article >,
Pixmaker > wrote:

> But I will greatly appreciate any suggestions as how to best solve
> this problem. Boiling lots of water is no problem whatsoever. But time
> is sorta of the essence because there's another one of these tropical
> hummers cooking in the South Atlantic and this seems to be the year
> for us to take multiple hits.
>
> FWIW we do like the Gevalia coffees and use them regularly. I assume
> that's not a problem. However, if a particular coffee is strongly
> recommended, I'm willing to use it. Remember, I'm planning for a
> degree of desperation here.
>
> Your recommendations will be welcomed.

Whenever I go camping, I bring along an insulated French press:
<http://tinyurl.com/548pq>
I prefer this over the common glass ones because (1) it's largely
unbreakable, and (2) it keeps the coffee hot while steeping, ensuring
better extraction. As always, when the coffee is done it should be
poured out of the press, else it will over-extract.

You can try one of many styles of non-electric drip brewers:
<http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.brewers.shtml>

I'm not a big fan of Gevalia. I roast my own coffee every week. If you
don't want to do that, try to find a local coffee roaster and invest in
a decent quality burr grinder. For emergencies without electricity, you
might want a backup hand-cranked grinder, like one by Zassenhaus.

I'm not a big Starbie's fan, but they sell a small insulated press
<http://tinyurl.com/3pbsy>
for about $10. When I've had to go to work really early, I put some
ground coffee in it at home, and brought it to work and filled it with
hot water, then decanted into a mug when it was done.

please mail OT responses only
Bill

On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 23:53:04 GMT, smithfarms pure kona
> wrote:

>On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 16:42:25 -0700, Pixmaker >
>wrote:
>
>>Having recently experienced yet another hurricane in South Florida, I
>>thought we were well prepared for some days without electric power.

>>FWIW we do like the Gevalia coffees and use them regularly. I assume
>>that's not a problem. However, if a particular coffee is strongly
>>recommended, I'm willing to use it. Remember, I'm planning for a
>>degree of desperation here.
>>
>>Your recommendations will be welcomed.
>>

>> Pixmaker in FLL
>>==========================
>>It's not the heat, it's the humidity!
>>==========================
>>(..Think the humidity's bad?
>> You should watch us vote!)

>You might want to try some other coffeesonce you have more time.
>Seriously there are many coffees more interesting and more tasty than
>Gevalia.
>
>Get fresh roasted, grind them in a burr grinder

your comment about using a "burr grinder" peaked my interest...I have
never heard of such a thing...then I did a Google "Froogle" search for
burr grinders...
http://www.google.com/froogle?q=burr...Search+Froogle

wow...I need to get out and shop more often...

Bill

Bill

On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 23:53:04 GMT, smithfarms pure kona
> wrote:

>On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 16:42:25 -0700, Pixmaker >
>wrote:
>
>>Having recently experienced yet another hurricane in South Florida, I
>>thought we were well prepared for some days without electric power.

>>FWIW we do like the Gevalia coffees and use them regularly. I assume
>>that's not a problem. However, if a particular coffee is strongly
>>recommended, I'm willing to use it. Remember, I'm planning for a
>>degree of desperation here.
>>
>>Your recommendations will be welcomed.
>>

>> Pixmaker in FLL
>>==========================
>>It's not the heat, it's the humidity!
>>==========================
>>(..Think the humidity's bad?
>> You should watch us vote!)

>You might want to try some other coffeesonce you have more time.
>Seriously there are many coffees more interesting and more tasty than
>Gevalia.
>
>Get fresh roasted, grind them in a burr grinder

your comment about using a "burr grinder" peaked my interest...I have
never heard of such a thing...then I did a Google "Froogle" search for
burr grinders...
http://www.google.com/froogle?q=burr...Search+Froogle

wow...I need to get out and shop more often...

Bill

Sheryl Rosen

in article , Pixmaker at
wrote on 9/6/04 7:42 PM:

> Having recently experienced yet another hurricane in South Florida, I
> thought we were well prepared for some days without electric power.
> Yes, I had all the supplies stored and the propane lanterns and
> Coleman stoves but. . ..
>
> I forgot about a coffee pot!
>
> We use an under-counter Mister Coffee that's worked well for twelve
> years or so and no one thought about an alternate coffee brewing
> method.
>
> After discussing various ways of doing this trick (and being unwilling
> to fall back on those "coffee bags" we had aplenty for times of
> absolute desperation) I finally gave up and resorted to dumping the
> coffee into a sauce pan of boiling water, letting it sit for a bit,
> then decanting the coffee. I recalled something about the old West
> cowboys doing something like this. And the coffee was spiced with egg
> shells and hot sauce and whatever else seemed appropriate at the time.
> It resulted in coffee but whatever went into it must have made any
> assessment of the coffee quality of secondary importance.

Since you like drip coffee, and that's what you're used to drinking, find
yourself a "Melitta" or other brand of manual coffee brewer. Here's one:

http://fantes.com/coffeemakers_manualdrip.htm

It's the same principal as your auto drip machine, except you heat the water
to just below boiling on the (camp) stove, then pour it over the grounds.
The coffee drips into the waiting pot below.

I have one and I use it regularly as my main coffee maker. Works great!
Mine is a single cup brewer. You can get them for one cup or 8-10 cups.
The single cup cone costs under $5. Beats instant any day of the week!!!!!

I got mine at a supermarket. Haven't noticed them at WalMart, but they may
have 'em. Wild Oats or Whole Foods probably also sell them as they seem to
appeal to environmentally aware folks. Also, try a coffee "emporium" such
as Charbucks (StarBucks) or similar.

If you can't find one of those, look at the supermarket, KMart or even your
local hardware store (ACE or TrueValue type, not Home Depot) for an
old-fashioned aluminum percolator, probably for about $10.

But if you're used to drip coffee, I'd go with the manual drip set up. Those
percolators make stronger coffee than the drip brewers, might not be to your
taste.

Sheryl Rosen

in article , Pixmaker at
wrote on 9/6/04 7:42 PM:

> Having recently experienced yet another hurricane in South Florida, I
> thought we were well prepared for some days without electric power.
> Yes, I had all the supplies stored and the propane lanterns and
> Coleman stoves but. . ..
>
> I forgot about a coffee pot!
>
> We use an under-counter Mister Coffee that's worked well for twelve
> years or so and no one thought about an alternate coffee brewing
> method.
>
> After discussing various ways of doing this trick (and being unwilling
> to fall back on those "coffee bags" we had aplenty for times of
> absolute desperation) I finally gave up and resorted to dumping the
> coffee into a sauce pan of boiling water, letting it sit for a bit,
> then decanting the coffee. I recalled something about the old West
> cowboys doing something like this. And the coffee was spiced with egg
> shells and hot sauce and whatever else seemed appropriate at the time.
> It resulted in coffee but whatever went into it must have made any
> assessment of the coffee quality of secondary importance.

Since you like drip coffee, and that's what you're used to drinking, find
yourself a "Melitta" or other brand of manual coffee brewer. Here's one:

http://fantes.com/coffeemakers_manualdrip.htm

It's the same principal as your auto drip machine, except you heat the water
to just below boiling on the (camp) stove, then pour it over the grounds.
The coffee drips into the waiting pot below.

I have one and I use it regularly as my main coffee maker. Works great!
Mine is a single cup brewer. You can get them for one cup or 8-10 cups.
The single cup cone costs under $5. Beats instant any day of the week!!!!!

I got mine at a supermarket. Haven't noticed them at WalMart, but they may
have 'em. Wild Oats or Whole Foods probably also sell them as they seem to
appeal to environmentally aware folks. Also, try a coffee "emporium" such
as Charbucks (StarBucks) or similar.

If you can't find one of those, look at the supermarket, KMart or even your
local hardware store (ACE or TrueValue type, not Home Depot) for an
old-fashioned aluminum percolator, probably for about $10.

But if you're used to drip coffee, I'd go with the manual drip set up. Those
percolators make stronger coffee than the drip brewers, might not be to your
taste.

Katra

In article >,
Pixmaker > wrote:

> Having recently experienced yet another hurricane in South Florida, I
> thought we were well prepared for some days without electric power.
> Yes, I had all the supplies stored and the propane lanterns and
> Coleman stoves but. . ..
>
> I forgot about a coffee pot!
>
> We use an under-counter Mister Coffee that's worked well for twelve
> years or so and no one thought about an alternate coffee brewing
> method.
>
> After discussing various ways of doing this trick (and being unwilling
> to fall back on those "coffee bags" we had aplenty for times of
> absolute desperation) I finally gave up and resorted to dumping the
> coffee into a sauce pan of boiling water, letting it sit for a bit,
> then decanting the coffee. I recalled something about the old West
> cowboys doing something like this. And the coffee was spiced with egg
> shells and hot sauce and whatever else seemed appropriate at the time.
> It resulted in coffee but whatever went into it must have made any
> assessment of the coffee quality of secondary importance.
>
> We had a problem filtering the coffee from the grounds. The regular
> filters from the Mister Coffee clogged immediately and allowed only a
> slow drip (about one drop a minute) so they were out. I can't wait
> that long.
>
> I tried cheesecloth with similar results.
>
> An old, aluminum "teaball," when opened up, worked the best but it was
> almost impossible to hold the damned thing and pour boiling coffee
> into it at the same time. Result...blue air and no coffee.
>
> The decanted coffee was drinkable, although a little gritty.
>
> Now, whatever the circumstances, no man should have to struggle so
> mightily for a cup of coffee that assumes the importance of plasma to
> a wounded soldier.
>
> I have to believe there's a better way. At this point, I'm prepared to
> go find an old percolator. Maybe a visit to our local flea market will
> solve my problem.
>
> But I will greatly appreciate any suggestions as how to best solve
> this problem. Boiling lots of water is no problem whatsoever. But time
> is sorta of the essence because there's another one of these tropical
> hummers cooking in the South Atlantic and this seems to be the year
> for us to take multiple hits.
>
> FWIW we do like the Gevalia coffees and use them regularly. I assume
> that's not a problem. However, if a particular coffee is strongly
> recommended, I'm willing to use it. Remember, I'm planning for a
> degree of desperation here.
>
> Your recommendations will be welcomed.
>

> Pixmaker in FLL
> ==========================
> It's not the heat, it's the humidity!
> ==========================
> (..Think the humidity's bad?
> You should watch us vote!)

A camp percolater is your best bet. :-)
Should be able to find one at a camping supply store.

There are also one cup drip coffee makers. You put the coffee in the
bottom part, snap the top part on and fill it with boiling water. Works
well and is not that slow at all!

I love Gevalia too, but it's really to finely ground for camping
applications as it does tend to clog just about any filtering system you
may want to use. ;-) Get a good brand of slightly coarser grind.

What do you have against coffee bags? They work well in a pinch.

If you are desparate, there is always instant. <shudder>

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Katra

In article >,
Pixmaker > wrote:

> [...]
>
> Your recommendations will be welcomed.
>

> Pixmaker in FLL
> ==========================
> It's not the heat, it's the humidity!
> ==========================
> (..Think the humidity's bad?
> You should watch us vote!)

A camp percolater is your best bet. :-)
Should be able to find one at a camping supply store.

There are also one cup drip coffee makers. You put the coffee in the
bottom part, snap the top part on and fill it with boiling water. Works
well and is not that slow at all!

I love Gevalia too, but it's really to finely ground for camping
applications as it does tend to clog just about any filtering system you
may want to use. ;-) Get a good brand of slightly coarser grind.

What do you have against coffee bags? They work well in a pinch.

If you are desparate, there is always instant. <shudder>

Katra

In article >,
Pixmaker > wrote:

> [...]
>
> Your recommendations will be welcomed.
>

> Pixmaker in FLL
> ==========================
> It's not the heat, it's the humidity!
> ==========================
> (..Think the humidity's bad?
> You should watch us vote!)

A camp percolater is your best bet. :-)
Should be able to find one at a camping supply store.

There are also one cup drip coffee makers. You put the coffee in the
bottom part, snap the top part on and fill it with boiling water. Works
well and is not that slow at all!

I love Gevalia too, but it's really to finely ground for camping
applications as it does tend to clog just about any filtering system you
may want to use. ;-) Get a good brand of slightly coarser grind.

What do you have against coffee bags? They work well in a pinch.

If you are desparate, there is always instant. <shudder>

Katra

In article > ,
"LAllin" > wrote:

> On 6-Sep-2004, Pixmaker > wrote:
>
> > I have to believe there's a better way. At this point, I'm prepared to
> > go find an old percolator. Maybe a visit to our local flea market will
> > solve my problem.
> >
> > But I will greatly appreciate any suggestions as how to best solve
> > this problem. Boiling lots of water is no problem whatsoever. But time
> > is sorta of the essence because there's another one of these tropical
> > hummers cooking in the South Atlantic and this seems to be the year
> > for us to take multiple hits.

> Look for a French Press coffee maker; its a glass pot (usually) that you
> fill with hot water and grounds, similar to what you recount in your
> message. However, it has a plunger that, when the coffee has finished
> brewing, you press the plunger and it takes the grounds to the bottom.
> Follow the use directions on any French Press and you will have coffee so
> good, you may just brew that way when the weather is good.
>
> Best of luck in the next wave

Oh man! I'd forgotten about that. :-)
I have one and they are easy to find, quite reasonable and make
fantastic coffee!

And they work just fine with Gevalia!

Check the Gevalia catalogue. They sell one.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Katra

In article > ,
"LAllin" > wrote:

> On 6-Sep-2004, Pixmaker > wrote:
>
> > I have to believe there's a better way. At this point, I'm prepared to
> > go find an old percolator. Maybe a visit to our local flea market will
> > solve my problem.
> >
> > But I will greatly appreciate any suggestions as how to best solve
> > this problem. Boiling lots of water is no problem whatsoever. But time
> > is sorta of the essence because there's another one of these tropical
> > hummers cooking in the South Atlantic and this seems to be the year
> > for us to take multiple hits.

> Look for a French Press coffee maker; its a glass pot (usually) that you
> fill with hot water and grounds, similar to what you recount in your
> message. However, it has a plunger that, when the coffee has finished
> brewing, you press the plunger and it takes the grounds to the bottom.
> Follow the use directions on any French Press and you will have coffee so
> good, you may just brew that way when the weather is good.
>
> Best of luck in the next wave

Oh man! I'd forgotten about that. :-)
I have one and they are easy to find, quite reasonable and make
fantastic coffee!

And they work just fine with Gevalia!

Check the Gevalia catalogue. They sell one.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Scott

In article >,
Bill > wrote:

> your comment about using a "burr grinder" peaked my interest...I have
> never heard of such a thing...then I did a Google "Froogle" search for
> burr grinders...
> http://www.google.com/froogle?q=burr...Search+Froogle

Also read
<http://homepage.mac.com/scott_r/#whatkindof>

please mail OT responses only
Scott

In article >,
Bill > wrote:

> your comment about using a "burr grinder" peaked my interest...I have
> never heard of such a thing...then I did a Google "Froogle" search for
> burr grinders...
> http://www.google.com/froogle?q=burr...Search+Froogle

Also read
<http://homepage.mac.com/scott_r/#whatkindof>

please mail OT responses only
Cindy, CA

> I have to believe there's a better way. At this point, I'm prepared to
> go find an old percolator. Maybe a visit to our local flea market will
> solve my problem.

I live in Southern California- earthquakes, fires, locusts...

We have an old Revere percolator....stovetop I have used it the last
three days and don't think I will go back anything electric. Our Mr.
Coffee broke after more than 10 years of just about daily use last
week. (fires were 30 feet behind ourproperty, no electricity for 3
days in October)

The percolator just gives off this wonderful aroma, takes a bit longer
to brew, but the whole house smells of coffee. With the hermetically
sealed machine I would have to walk up and touch it to see if it was
fresh and hot or cold that needed re-heating.

There is a 10 cup Revere one on Amazon.com for about $15. You get
free shipping with $25 in purchases.

You need a coarser grind. If the gevalia is powdery it won't work in
the basket. Failry large holes.

Cindy
Cindy, CA

> I have to believe there's a better way. At this point, I'm prepared to
> go find an old percolator. Maybe a visit to our local flea market will
> solve my problem.

I live in Southern California- earthquakes, fires, locusts...

We have an old Revere percolator....stovetop I have used it the last
three days and don't think I will go back anything electric. Our Mr.
Coffee broke after more than 10 years of just about daily use last
week. (fires were 30 feet behind ourproperty, no electricity for 3
days in October)

The percolator just gives off this wonderful aroma, takes a bit longer
to brew, but the whole house smells of coffee. With the hermetically
sealed machine I would have to walk up and touch it to see if it was
fresh and hot or cold that needed re-heating.

There is a 10 cup Revere one on Amazon.com for about $15. You get
free shipping with $25 in purchases.

You need a coarser grind. If the gevalia is powdery it won't work in
the basket. Failry large holes.

Cindy

Leila A.

Pixmaker > wrote in message >. ..
> Having recently experienced yet another hurricane in South Florida, I
> thought we were well prepared for some days without electric power.
> Yes, I had all the supplies stored and the propane lanterns and
> Coleman stoves but. . ..
>
> I forgot about a coffee pot!
> snip
> But I will greatly appreciate any suggestions as how to best solve
> this problem. Boiling lots of water is no problem whatsoever. But time
> is sorta of the essence because there's another one of these tropical
> hummers cooking in the South Atlantic and this seems to be the year
> for us to take multiple hits.
>
> Your recommendations will be welcomed.
> Pixmaker in FLL

What about going down to your local Caribbean food market and buying a
"sock" (calza?) or "tete negra" (I don't want to translate this) for
about $1.69. I used to use these in NYC when I was a poor student in a
non-yuppie, Hispanic neighborhood. It's a muslin cone sewn around a
wire circle that's attached to a wood handle. You put your coffee in
the cone. You boil your water. You hold the wood handle and pour water
through the cone into a coffee pot of some sort or another. My cool
artist friends who taught me this used a blue speckled enamel coffee
pot their dad had taken on camping trips.

Seems to me that if we wanted the coffee stronger, we let the sock sit
in the brew for a minute or two.

Maybe life has gotten so advanced that Puerto Ricans, Dominicans and
other folk no longer use these, or the company doesn't make them
because they're too simple and don't make enough profit. I live in
California now where the markets are all Mexican and I don't frequent
them much anyway. No idea if this item is still available. Look for it
near the Bustelo coffee.

Good luck!

Leila
Leila A.

Pixmaker > wrote in message >. ..
> Having recently experienced yet another hurricane in South Florida, I
> thought we were well prepared for some days without electric power.
> Yes, I had all the supplies stored and the propane lanterns and
> Coleman stoves but. . ..
>
> I forgot about a coffee pot!
> snip
> But I will greatly appreciate any suggestions as how to best solve
> this problem. Boiling lots of water is no problem whatsoever. But time
> is sorta of the essence because there's another one of these tropical
> hummers cooking in the South Atlantic and this seems to be the year
> for us to take multiple hits.
>
> Your recommendations will be welcomed.
> Pixmaker in FLL

What about going down to your local Caribbean food market and buying a
"sock" (calza?) or "tete negra" (I don't want to translate this) for
about $1.69. I used to use these in NYC when I was a poor student in a
non-yuppie, Hispanic neighborhood. It's a muslin cone sewn around a
wire circle that's attached to a wood handle. You put your coffee in
the cone. You boil your water. You hold the wood handle and pour water
through the cone into a coffee pot of some sort or another. My cool
artist friends who taught me this used a blue speckled enamel coffee
pot their dad had taken on camping trips.

Seems to me that if we wanted the coffee stronger, we let the sock sit
in the brew for a minute or two.

Maybe life has gotten so advanced that Puerto Ricans, Dominicans and
other folk no longer use these, or the company doesn't make them
because they're too simple and don't make enough profit. I live in
California now where the markets are all Mexican and I don't frequent
them much anyway. No idea if this item is still available. Look for it
near the Bustelo coffee.

Good luck!

Leila
jmcquown

Pixmaker wrote:
> Having recently experienced yet another hurricane in South Florida, I
> thought we were well prepared for some days without electric power.
> Yes, I had all the supplies stored and the propane lanterns and
> Coleman stoves but. . ..
>
> I forgot about a coffee pot!

An old fashioned stove-top drip percolator with a basket insert and ground
coffee works just fine. Look up camping sites online. I used one for years
on my stovetop. No filters to buy; the mesh basket worked, IMHO.

Jill

> We use an under-counter Mister Coffee that's worked well for twelve
> years or so and no one thought about an alternate coffee brewing
> method.
>
> After discussing various ways of doing this trick (and being unwilling
> to fall back on those "coffee bags" we had aplenty for times of
> absolute desperation) I finally gave up and resorted to dumping the
> coffee into a sauce pan of boiling water, letting it sit for a bit,
> then decanting the coffee. I recalled something about the old West
> cowboys doing something like this. And the coffee was spiced with egg
> shells and hot sauce and whatever else seemed appropriate at the time.
> It resulted in coffee but whatever went into it must have made any
> assessment of the coffee quality of secondary importance.
>
> We had a problem filtering the coffee from the grounds. The regular
> filters from the Mister Coffee clogged immediately and allowed only a
> slow drip (about one drop a minute) so they were out. I can't wait
> that long.
>
> I tried cheesecloth with similar results.
>
> An old, aluminum "teaball," when opened up, worked the best but it was
> almost impossible to hold the damned thing and pour boiling coffee
> into it at the same time. Result...blue air and no coffee.
>
> The decanted coffee was drinkable, although a little gritty.
>
> Now, whatever the circumstances, no man should have to struggle so
> mightily for a cup of coffee that assumes the importance of plasma to
> a wounded soldier.
>
> I have to believe there's a better way. At this point, I'm prepared to
> go find an old percolator. Maybe a visit to our local flea market will
> solve my problem.
>
> But I will greatly appreciate any suggestions as how to best solve
> this problem. Boiling lots of water is no problem whatsoever. But time
> is sorta of the essence because there's another one of these tropical
> hummers cooking in the South Atlantic and this seems to be the year
> for us to take multiple hits.
>
> FWIW we do like the Gevalia coffees and use them regularly. I assume
> that's not a problem. However, if a particular coffee is strongly
> recommended, I'm willing to use it. Remember, I'm planning for a
> degree of desperation here.
>
> Your recommendations will be welcomed.
>

> Pixmaker in FLL
> ==========================
> It's not the heat, it's the humidity!
> ==========================
> (..Think the humidity's bad?
> You should watch us vote!)

Allan Matthews

wrote:

>Having recently experienced yet another hurricane in South Florida, I
>thought we were well prepared for some days without electric power.
>Yes, I had all the supplies stored and the propane lanterns and
>Coleman stoves but. . ..
>
>I forgot about a coffee pot!
>
>We use an under-counter Mister Coffee that's worked well for twelve
>years or so and no one thought about an alternate coffee brewing
>method.
>
>After discussing various ways of doing this trick (and being unwilling
>to fall back on those "coffee bags" we had aplenty for times of
>absolute desperation) I finally gave up and resorted to dumping the
>coffee into a sauce pan of boiling water, letting it sit for a bit,
>then decanting the coffee. I recalled something about the old West
>cowboys doing something like this. And the coffee was spiced with egg
>shells and hot sauce and whatever else seemed appropriate at the time.
>It resulted in coffee but whatever went into it must have made any
>assessment of the coffee quality of secondary importance.
>
>We had a problem filtering the coffee from the grounds. The regular
>filters from the Mister Coffee clogged immediately and allowed only a
>slow drip (about one drop a minute) so they were out. I can't wait
>that long.
>
>I tried cheesecloth with similar results.
>
>An old, aluminum "teaball," when opened up, worked the best but it was
>almost impossible to hold the damned thing and pour boiling coffee
>into it at the same time. Result...blue air and no coffee.
>
>The decanted coffee was drinkable, although a little gritty.
>
>Now, whatever the circumstances, no man should have to struggle so
>mightily for a cup of coffee that assumes the importance of plasma to
>a wounded soldier.
>
>I have to believe there's a better way. At this point, I'm prepared to
>go find an old percolator. Maybe a visit to our local flea market will
>solve my problem.
>
>But I will greatly appreciate any suggestions as how to best solve
>this problem. Boiling lots of water is no problem whatsoever. But time
>is sorta of the essence because there's another one of these tropical
>hummers cooking in the South Atlantic and this seems to be the year
>for us to take multiple hits.
>
>FWIW we do like the Gevalia coffees and use them regularly. I assume
>that's not a problem. However, if a particular coffee is strongly
>recommended, I'm willing to use it. Remember, I'm planning for a
>degree of desperation here.
>
>Your recommendations will be welcomed.
>

> Pixmaker in FLL
>==========================
>It's not the heat, it's the humidity!
>(..Think the humidity's bad?
> You should watch us vote!)

If you ever have to make boiled coffee again, that is putting coffee
in a pot with water and boiling it, just before you pour it, pour a
cupful of cold water into the saucepan. The grounds will settle to
the bottom. In the Army, it's fifty years ago now, I have watched
cooks make a huge container of coffee in the field, maybe 20 gallons
or so and when it was done pour in a quart or so of cold water. It
works and I have no idea why. Not very good coffee tho.