Leila A.

Pixmaker > wrote in message >. ..
> Having recently experienced yet another hurricane in South Florida, I
> thought we were well prepared for some days without electric power.
> Yes, I had all the supplies stored and the propane lanterns and
> Coleman stoves but. . ..
>
> I forgot about a coffee pot!
> snip
> But I will greatly appreciate any suggestions as how to best solve
> this problem. Boiling lots of water is no problem whatsoever. But time
> is sorta of the essence because there's another one of these tropical
> hummers cooking in the South Atlantic and this seems to be the year
> for us to take multiple hits.
>
> Your recommendations will be welcomed.
> Pixmaker in FLL

What about going down to your local Caribbean food market and buying a
"sock" (calza?) or "tete negra" (I don't want to translate this) for
about $1.69. I used to use these in NYC when I was a poor student in a
non-yuppie, Hispanic neighborhood. It's a muslin cone sewn around a
wire circle that's attached to a wood handle. You put your coffee in
the cone. You boil your water. You hold the wood handle and pour water
through the cone into a coffee pot of some sort or another. My cool
artist friends who taught me this used a blue speckled enamel coffee
pot their dad had taken on camping trips.

Seems to me that if we wanted the coffee stronger, we let the sock sit
in the brew for a minute or two.

Maybe life has gotten so advanced that Puerto Ricans, Dominicans and
other folk no longer use these, or the company doesn't make them
because they're too simple and don't make enough profit. I live in
California now where the markets are all Mexican and I don't frequent
them much anyway. No idea if this item is still available. Look for it
near the Bustelo coffee.

Good luck!

Leila