Katra

In article >,
Pixmaker > wrote:

> Having recently experienced yet another hurricane in South Florida, I
> thought we were well prepared for some days without electric power.
> Yes, I had all the supplies stored and the propane lanterns and
> Coleman stoves but. . ..
>
> I forgot about a coffee pot!
>
> We use an under-counter Mister Coffee that's worked well for twelve
> years or so and no one thought about an alternate coffee brewing
> method.
>
> After discussing various ways of doing this trick (and being unwilling
> to fall back on those "coffee bags" we had aplenty for times of
> absolute desperation) I finally gave up and resorted to dumping the
> coffee into a sauce pan of boiling water, letting it sit for a bit,
> then decanting the coffee. I recalled something about the old West
> cowboys doing something like this. And the coffee was spiced with egg
> shells and hot sauce and whatever else seemed appropriate at the time.
> It resulted in coffee but whatever went into it must have made any
> assessment of the coffee quality of secondary importance.
>
> We had a problem filtering the coffee from the grounds. The regular
> filters from the Mister Coffee clogged immediately and allowed only a
> slow drip (about one drop a minute) so they were out. I can't wait
> that long.
>
> I tried cheesecloth with similar results.
>
> An old, aluminum "teaball," when opened up, worked the best but it was
> almost impossible to hold the damned thing and pour boiling coffee
> into it at the same time. Result...blue air and no coffee.
>
> The decanted coffee was drinkable, although a little gritty.
>
> Now, whatever the circumstances, no man should have to struggle so
> mightily for a cup of coffee that assumes the importance of plasma to
> a wounded soldier.
>
> I have to believe there's a better way. At this point, I'm prepared to
> go find an old percolator. Maybe a visit to our local flea market will
> solve my problem.
>
> But I will greatly appreciate any suggestions as how to best solve
> this problem. Boiling lots of water is no problem whatsoever. But time
> is sorta of the essence because there's another one of these tropical
> hummers cooking in the South Atlantic and this seems to be the year
> for us to take multiple hits.
>
> FWIW we do like the Gevalia coffees and use them regularly. I assume
> that's not a problem. However, if a particular coffee is strongly
> recommended, I'm willing to use it. Remember, I'm planning for a
> degree of desperation here.
>
> Your recommendations will be welcomed.
>

> Pixmaker in FLL
> ==========================
> It's not the heat, it's the humidity!
> ==========================
> (..Think the humidity's bad?
> You should watch us vote!)

A camp percolater is your best bet. :-)
Should be able to find one at a camping supply store.

There are also one cup drip coffee makers. You put the coffee in the
bottom part, snap the top part on and fill it with boiling water. Works
well and is not that slow at all!

I love Gevalia too, but it's really to finely ground for camping
applications as it does tend to clog just about any filtering system you
may want to use. ;-) Get a good brand of slightly coarser grind.

What do you have against coffee bags? They work well in a pinch.

If you are desparate, there is always instant. <shudder>

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...