ecpepper

Default Spice Containers

Doing the fresh spices thing and need some help with equipment.

Went today to a fabulous Indian store and purchased a range of spices
in plastic bags. Now, I'd like to transfer the spices from the
plastic bags into metal tins to prevent light exposure. My question
is, what size tins do I need?

The spice packets each contain 3oz of spices. And my first thought
was that all I needed were 4oz tins (2.375" width x 1.625" height).
Then it occured to me that this may be a fluid oz. versus weighted oz.
problem (i.e. the spice bags weigh 3oz or just less than 1/4 pound
while the containers hold 4oz or 1/2 cup, but that doesn't mean that
the one will fit into the other--3oz of feathers would never fit into
1/2 cup).

What size tins are in fact appropriate for 3 oz. of spices?

ecpepper
hahabogus

(ecpepper) wrote in
om:

> Doing the fresh spices thing and need some help with equipment.
>
> Went today to a fabulous Indian store and purchased a range of spices
> in plastic bags. Now, I'd like to transfer the spices from the
> plastic bags into metal tins to prevent light exposure. My question
> is, what size tins do I need?
>
> The spice packets each contain 3oz of spices. And my first thought
> was that all I needed were 4oz tins (2.375" width x 1.625" height).
> Then it occured to me that this may be a fluid oz. versus weighted oz.
> problem (i.e. the spice bags weigh 3oz or just less than 1/4 pound
> while the containers hold 4oz or 1/2 cup, but that doesn't mean that
> the one will fit into the other--3oz of feathers would never fit into
> 1/2 cup).
>
> What size tins are in fact appropriate for 3 oz. of spices?
>
> ecpepper

The spices are in front of you...not me. Guesstimate... or use a measuring
cup. The best idea would be store a small amount in your tins for daily use
for say a month's supply and leave the remainer wrapped well and in the
freezer, where after the tin is empty you can refill it. Light and heat
both affect spices so in the freezer they get the best of both (dark and
cold). I use baby food jars. I wash them well and paint them on the
outside. The lids seal air tight and if they break or get damaged it isn't
a expensive proposition to replace them.I find if you're creative you can
colour code spices so you can find them more readily.

--
Last year's nuts must go.
- Michael Odom
hahabogus

(ecpepper) wrote in
om:

> Doing the fresh spices thing and need some help with equipment.
>
> Went today to a fabulous Indian store and purchased a range of spices
> in plastic bags. Now, I'd like to transfer the spices from the
> plastic bags into metal tins to prevent light exposure. My question
> is, what size tins do I need?
>
> The spice packets each contain 3oz of spices. And my first thought
> was that all I needed were 4oz tins (2.375" width x 1.625" height).
> Then it occured to me that this may be a fluid oz. versus weighted oz.
> problem (i.e. the spice bags weigh 3oz or just less than 1/4 pound
> while the containers hold 4oz or 1/2 cup, but that doesn't mean that
> the one will fit into the other--3oz of feathers would never fit into
> 1/2 cup).
>
> What size tins are in fact appropriate for 3 oz. of spices?
>
> ecpepper

The spices are in front of you...not me. Guesstimate... or use a measuring
cup. The best idea would be store a small amount in your tins for daily use
for say a month's supply and leave the remainer wrapped well and in the
freezer, where after the tin is empty you can refill it. Light and heat
both affect spices so in the freezer they get the best of both (dark and
cold). I use baby food jars. I wash them well and paint them on the
outside. The lids seal air tight and if they break or get damaged it isn't
a expensive proposition to replace them.I find if you're creative you can
colour code spices so you can find them more readily.

--
Last year's nuts must go.
- Michael Odom

PENMART01

>Why don't you just eyeball it? Better too big than too small.
>
>sf

Typical female.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
PENMART01

>Why don't you just eyeball it? Better too big than too small.
>
>sf

Typical female.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Jamie_Canuck

"ecpepper" > wrote in message
om...
> Doing the fresh spices thing and need some help with equipment.
>
> Went today to a fabulous Indian store and purchased a range of spices
> in plastic bags. Now, I'd like to transfer the spices from the
> plastic bags into metal tins to prevent light exposure. My question
> is, what size tins do I need?
>
> The spice packets each contain 3oz of spices. And my first thought
> was that all I needed were 4oz tins (2.375" width x 1.625" height).
> Then it occured to me that this may be a fluid oz. versus weighted oz.
> problem (i.e. the spice bags weigh 3oz or just less than 1/4 pound
> while the containers hold 4oz or 1/2 cup, but that doesn't mean that
> the one will fit into the other--3oz of feathers would never fit into
> 1/2 cup).
>
> What size tins are in fact appropriate for 3 oz. of spices?
>
> ecpepper

Lee Valley (which i believe is an American company) has a wide selection of
small tins. Last time i was there they sold assorted packs. Perhaps give
them a try.

J.

Jamie_Canuck

"ecpepper" > wrote in message
om...
> Doing the fresh spices thing and need some help with equipment.
>
> Went today to a fabulous Indian store and purchased a range of spices
> in plastic bags. Now, I'd like to transfer the spices from the
> plastic bags into metal tins to prevent light exposure. My question
> is, what size tins do I need?
>
> The spice packets each contain 3oz of spices. And my first thought
> was that all I needed were 4oz tins (2.375" width x 1.625" height).
> Then it occured to me that this may be a fluid oz. versus weighted oz.
> problem (i.e. the spice bags weigh 3oz or just less than 1/4 pound
> while the containers hold 4oz or 1/2 cup, but that doesn't mean that
> the one will fit into the other--3oz of feathers would never fit into
> 1/2 cup).
>
> What size tins are in fact appropriate for 3 oz. of spices?
>
> ecpepper

Lee Valley (which i believe is an American company) has a wide selection of
small tins. Last time i was there they sold assorted packs. Perhaps give
them a try.

J.

Edwin Pawlowski

"ecpepper" > wrote in message
om...
> My question
> is, what size tins do I need?

You need glass jars and keep them in a cabinet out of the light.

Edwin Pawlowski

"ecpepper" > wrote in message
om...
> My question
> is, what size tins do I need?

You need glass jars and keep them in a cabinet out of the light.

J.J.

Our pal "Jamie_Canuck" > wrote:

> "ecpepper" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Doing the fresh spices thing and need some help with equipment.
> >
> > Went today to a fabulous Indian store and purchased a range of spices
> > in plastic bags. Now, I'd like to transfer the spices from the
> > plastic bags into metal tins to prevent light exposure. My question
> > is, what size tins do I need?
> >
> > The spice packets each contain 3oz of spices. And my first thought
> > was that all I needed were 4oz tins (2.375" width x 1.625" height).
> > Then it occured to me that this may be a fluid oz. versus weighted oz.
> > problem (i.e. the spice bags weigh 3oz or just less than 1/4 pound
> > while the containers hold 4oz or 1/2 cup, but that doesn't mean that
> > the one will fit into the other--3oz of feathers would never fit into
> > 1/2 cup).
> >
> > What size tins are in fact appropriate for 3 oz. of spices?
> >
> > ecpepper

> Lee Valley (which i believe is an American company) has a wide selection of
> small tins. Last time i was there they sold assorted packs. Perhaps give
> them a try.

http://www.leevalley.com/gifts/page.
asp?page=47395&category=4,104,45477&abspage=1&ccur rency=2&SID=

OR

http://tinyurl.com/3vyyx

That price is based on US dollars, btw...

--
J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
"I rule you!" - Travis of the Cosmos, ATHF
J.J.

Our pal "Jamie_Canuck" > wrote:

> "ecpepper" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Doing the fresh spices thing and need some help with equipment.
> >
> > Went today to a fabulous Indian store and purchased a range of spices
> > in plastic bags. Now, I'd like to transfer the spices from the
> > plastic bags into metal tins to prevent light exposure. My question
> > is, what size tins do I need?
> >
> > The spice packets each contain 3oz of spices. And my first thought
> > was that all I needed were 4oz tins (2.375" width x 1.625" height).
> > Then it occured to me that this may be a fluid oz. versus weighted oz.
> > problem (i.e. the spice bags weigh 3oz or just less than 1/4 pound
> > while the containers hold 4oz or 1/2 cup, but that doesn't mean that
> > the one will fit into the other--3oz of feathers would never fit into
> > 1/2 cup).
> >
> > What size tins are in fact appropriate for 3 oz. of spices?
> >
> > ecpepper

> Lee Valley (which i believe is an American company) has a wide selection of
> small tins. Last time i was there they sold assorted packs. Perhaps give
> them a try.

http://www.leevalley.com/gifts/page.
asp?page=47395&category=4,104,45477&abspage=1&ccur rency=2&SID=

OR

http://tinyurl.com/3vyyx

That price is based on US dollars, btw...

--
J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
"I rule you!" - Travis of the Cosmos, ATHF
(COLD to HOT for e-mail)
J.J.

Our pal "Jamie_Canuck" > wrote:

> "ecpepper" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Doing the fresh spices thing and need some help with equipment.
> >
> > Went today to a fabulous Indian store and purchased a range of spices
> > in plastic bags. Now, I'd like to transfer the spices from the
> > plastic bags into metal tins to prevent light exposure. My question
> > is, what size tins do I need?
> >
> > The spice packets each contain 3oz of spices. And my first thought
> > was that all I needed were 4oz tins (2.375" width x 1.625" height).
> > Then it occured to me that this may be a fluid oz. versus weighted oz.
> > problem (i.e. the spice bags weigh 3oz or just less than 1/4 pound
> > while the containers hold 4oz or 1/2 cup, but that doesn't mean that
> > the one will fit into the other--3oz of feathers would never fit into
> > 1/2 cup).
> >
> > What size tins are in fact appropriate for 3 oz. of spices?
> >
> > ecpepper

> Lee Valley (which i believe is an American company) has a wide selection of
> small tins. Last time i was there they sold assorted packs. Perhaps give
> them a try.

http://www.leevalley.com/gifts/page.
asp?page=47395&category=4,104,45477&abspage=1&ccur rency=2&SID=

OR

http://tinyurl.com/3vyyx

That price is based on US dollars, btw...

--
J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
"I rule you!" - Travis of the Cosmos, ATHF
(COLD to HOT for e-mail)
Scott

In article
. rogers.com>,
"Jamie_Canuck" > wrote:

> Lee Valley (which i believe is an American company) has a wide selection of
> small tins. Last time i was there they sold assorted packs. Perhaps give
> them a try.

And they have GREAT printed catalogs.
<http://www.leevalley.com/home/main.asp>
Worthy of the coffee table, IMHO.

I think this is what you are referring to:
<http://www.leevalley.com/gifts/page....y=4,104,45477&
abspage=1&ccurrency=2&SID=>
or this:
<http://www.leevalley.com/gifts/page....y=4,104,45477&