Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Best spice? Was: Best Online Spice Shop

Kswck said...

> "Mr Nukem" > wrote in message
>>I am looking to buy some harder to find spices from all over the world
>> (India, China, Africa) and would like to find a trustworthy online
>> shop with reasonable prices preferably based in the USA to keep my
>> shipping costs low. Any folks here recommend a good online spice
>> merchant you have had good luck with and also any to avoid?
>>
>> Thank you
>>

> Couple of suggestions:
>
> http://www.americanspice.com/
>
> http://www.sfherb.com/
>
> http://www.thespicehouse.com/
>
> http://www.spiceplace.com/
>
> http://www.silk.net/sirene/index.htm
>
> And of course:
>
> http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/shophome.html

Best spice?

Rosemary?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy said...

> Best spice?
>
> Rosemary?

OK, herb.

Whatever?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Kswck said...
>
>> Couple of suggestions:
>>
>> http://www.americanspice.com/
>>
>> http://www.sfherb.com/
>>
>> http://www.thespicehouse.com/
>>
>> http://www.spiceplace.com/
>>
>> http://www.silk.net/sirene/index.htm
>>
>> And of course:
>>
>> http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/shophome.html

> Best spice?
>
> Rosemary?

Basil. But it's an herb, not a spice
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> Kswck said...
>

>> "Mr Nukem" > wrote in message
>>>I am looking to buy some harder to find spices from all over the world
>>> (India, China, Africa) and would like to find a trustworthy online
>>> shop with reasonable prices preferably based in the USA to keep my
>>> shipping costs low. Any folks here recommend a good online spice
>>> merchant you have had good luck with and also any to avoid?
>>>
>>> Thank you
>>>

>> Couple of suggestions:
>>
>> http://www.americanspice.com/
>>
>> http://www.sfherb.com/
>>
>> http://www.thespicehouse.com/
>>
>> http://www.spiceplace.com/
>>
>> http://www.silk.net/sirene/index.htm
>>
>> And of course:
>>
>> http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/shophome.html

> Best spice?
>
> Rosemary?

Thyme

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> Best spice?
>
> Rosemary?

Halle Berrys!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 11, 9:28�am, "Kswck" > wrote:
> "Andy" <q> wrote in ...
> > Kswck said...

> >> Couple of suggestions:

> >>http://www.americanspice.com/

> >>http://www.sfherb.com/

> >>http://www.thespicehouse.com/

> >>http://www.spiceplace.com/

> >>http://www.silk.net/sirene/index.htm

> >> And of course:

> >>http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/shophome.html

> > Best spice?

> > Rosemary?

> Thyme

HERBS!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 11 Oct 2008 05:26:40a, Andy told us...

@a19g2000pra.googlegroups.com...
>>>I am looking to buy some harder to find spices from all over the world
>>> (India, China, Africa) and would like to find a trustworthy online
>>> shop with reasonable prices preferably based in the USA to keep my
>>> shipping costs low. Any folks here recommend a good online spice
>>> merchant you have had good luck with and also any to avoid?
>>>
>>> Thank you
>>>

>> Couple of suggestions:
>>
>> http://www.americanspice.com/
>>
>> http://www.sfherb.com/
>>
>> http://www.thespicehouse.com/
>>
>> http://www.spiceplace.com/
>>
>> http://www.silk.net/sirene/index.htm
>>
>> And of course:
>>
>> http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/shophome.html

> Best spice?
>
> Rosemary?

Allspice. Rosemary is an herb.

Allspice is versatile in both sweet and savory dishes.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Saturday, 10(X)/11(XI)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
4wks 2dys 17hrs 17mins
'All honor's wounds are
self-inflicted.' -Andrew Carnegie
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown said...

> Andy wrote:
>> Kswck said...
>>
>>> Couple of suggestions:
>>>
>>> http://www.americanspice.com/
>>>
>>> http://www.sfherb.com/
>>>
>>> http://www.thespicehouse.com/
>>>
>>> http://www.spiceplace.com/
>>>
>>> http://www.silk.net/sirene/index.htm
>>>
>>> And of course:
>>>
>>> http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/shophome.html

>> Best spice?
>>
>> Rosemary?

> Basil. But it's an herb, not a spice

Jill,

Yeah! Basil is another number one favorite!!!

Herb! SORRY!

Best,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Spice: Presently, it's cardamom.
Herb: Basil, of course!
Lynn in Fargo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Andy said...
>
>> Best spice?
>>
>> Rosemary?

> OK, herb.
>
> Whatever?

Garlic. Of course.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 11 Oct 2008 09:12:00a, Nancy Young told us...

> Andy wrote:
>> Andy said...
>>
>>> Best spice?
>>>
>>> Rosemary?

>> OK, herb.
>>
>> Whatever?

> Garlic. Of course.
>
> nancy

Vegetable. ;-) However, absolutely indespensable.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Saturday, 10(X)/11(XI)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
4wks 2dys 14hrs 19mins
It is better to wear out than to rust out.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cinnamon.

JonquilJan

Learn something new every day
As long as you are learning, you are living
When you stop learning, you start dying

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JonquilJan wrote:
> Cinnamon.
>
> JonquilJan

Heh. As long as you don't drop a cupful into my tamales

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown > wrote in message
> JonquilJan wrote:
> > Cinnamon.
> >
> > JonquilJan
> >

> Heh. As long as you don't drop a cupful into my tamales

But don't leave it out of my oatmeal or apple pie. <grin>

Jan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 11 Oct 2008 10:04:06a, JonquilJan told us...

> Cinnamon.
>
> JonquilJan

Another indespendsable spice!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Saturday, 10(X)/11(XI)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
4wks 2dys 13hrs 46mins
Cats must drag the apple peels out of
the garbage to play with them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JonquilJan wrote:
> Cinnamon.
>
> JonquilJan

I don't think so. . .grossly overused in any recipe calling for it.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JonquilJan said...

> Cinnamon.
>
> JonquilJan
>
> Learn something new every day
> As long as you are learning, you are living
> When you stop learning, you start dying

Is JonquilJan a spice or an herb?!?

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> On Sat 11 Oct 2008 09:12:00a, Nancy Young told us...
>
>> Andy wrote:
>>> Andy said...

>>> OK, herb.
>>>
>>> Whatever?

>> Garlic. Of course.
>>
>> nancy
>>

> Vegetable. ;-) However, absolutely indespensable.

Bzzzt again. Herb. But it is still a vegatble, too. Any edible
plant is a vegetable, including herbs.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 11 Oct 2008 10:21:29a, Janet Bostwick told us...

> JonquilJan wrote:
>> Cinnamon.
>>
>> JonquilJan
>>

> I don't think so. . .grossly overused in any recipe calling for it.
> Janet

Yes, often that is the case, but used in appropriate amounts I find no
substitute as part of a blend of spice flavors in some desserts. I
wouldn't make apple pie without about a 1/4 teaspoon, and more for pumpkin
pie or pumpkin cake or bread, along with nutmeg and ginger, also in
gingerbread.

I think many people use far too much of many spices and herbs. IMHO, they
are meant to enhance, not dominate.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Saturday, 10(X)/11(XI)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
4wks 2dys 13hrs 29mins
You'll go to Heck if you don't believe
in Gosh.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
m...
> JonquilJan wrote:
>> Cinnamon.
>>
>> JonquilJan
>>

> I don't think so. . .grossly overused in any recipe calling for it.
> Janet

But cinnamon buns would be rather bland without it. One of my favorite
baked goods!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>> Andy wrote:
>>> Andy said...

>>> OK, herb.
>>>
>>> Whatever?

In order of use in our house:
Pepper (fresh ground, of course)
garlic
oregano
rosemary
basil
thyme
parsley
sometimes all of the above

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 11 Oct 2008 10:44:21a, Edwin Pawlowski told us...

> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> m...
>> JonquilJan wrote:
>>> Cinnamon.
>>>
>>> JonquilJan
>>>

>> I don't think so. . .grossly overused in any recipe calling for it.
>> Janet
>>

> But cinnamon buns would be rather bland without it. One of my favorite
> baked goods!

I agree, Ed, but I have had cinnamon buns where the cinnamon was
overpowering, almost bitter.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Saturday, 10(X)/11(XI)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
4wks 2dys 13hrs 11mins
This isn't right. This isn't even
wrong.--Wolfgang Pauli
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Posh

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 11 Oct 2008 12:34:45p, Tara told us...

> Posh
>
> Tara

Please quote what your poshing about. No one knows what you're referring to.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Saturday, 10(X)/11(XI)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
4wks 2dys 11hrs 13mins
From the Department of Redundancy
Department
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" schrieb :
> On Sat 11 Oct 2008 12:34:45p, Tara told us...
>
>> Posh
>>
>> Tara

> Please quote what your poshing about. No one knows what you're referring to.

She should have used a smiley.
Hint : Spice Girls ...

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy <q> wrote in message ...
> JonquilJan said...
>
> > Cinnamon.
> >
> > JonquilJan
> >
> > Learn something new every day
> > As long as you are learning, you are living
> > When you stop learning, you start dying

> Is JonquilJan a spice or an herb?!?
>
> Andy

Rather spicy at times - but usually a calm addition to a mix. <grin>

JonquilJan

Learn something new every day
As long as you are learning, you are living
When you stop learning, you start dying

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
On Oct 11, 9:28?am, "Kswck" > wrote:
> "Andy" <q> wrote in ...
> > Kswck said...

> >> Couple of suggestions:

> >>http://www.americanspice.com/

> >>http://www.sfherb.com/

> >>http://www.thespicehouse.com/

> >>http://www.spiceplace.com/

> >>http://www.silk.net/sirene/index.htm

> >> And of course:

> >>http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/shophome.html

> > Best spice?

> > Rosemary?

> Thyme

HERBS!

Well, yes. But I do like it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 22:57:10 +0200, Michael Kuettner wrote:

> "Wayne Boatwright" schrieb :
>> On Sat 11 Oct 2008 12:34:45p, Tara told us...
>>
>>> Posh
>>>
>>> Tara

>> Please quote what your poshing about. No one knows what you're referring to.
>>

> She should have used a smiley.
> Hint : Spice Girls ...
>
> Cheers,
>
> Michael Kuettner

not exactly on topic, but one of the recent nicknames i've heard for sarah
palin is 'bible spice.'

your pal,
blake

Spice mix ID. Help! Silvar Beitel[_2_] General Cooking 5 15-02-2013 11:56 PM
Best Online Spice Shop Mr Nukem General Cooking 6 15-10-2008 03:28 PM
New Online Shop Philip Bryant-Smith General Cooking 0 06-10-2008 04:04 AM
SPICE MIX No Name General Cooking 3 14-08-2008 02:07 AM
Online spice ordering? [email protected] Historic 6 08-10-2005 02:51 PM