Old 12-02-2008, 10:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I need a bunch of good spice containers

Hi, this is my first time on usenet, but I grew up on the Internet. I
already love this place.

Can anyone recommend a type of spice container to buy? Or a specific
retailer that sells a good cheap container?

I just bought a bunch of loose herbs and spices, and now I need some
spice containers to store them in. I'm thinking about these three types
right now:

- Metal tins, maybe with a window on top (like the ones at
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...6&ccurrency=2).
-

glass jars with lids. These let you see the spices, but they let in light.
- ceramic canisters with metal clasps. I think this might be called a
"lightning closure". I can't really find any of spice-jar size online,
but I know they exist. These best because they seal and keep out light,
but they're probably most expensive.

I'd love any tips you've got!

Raison

Old 12-02-2008, 10:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 14:37:39 -0800, Raison de Calcul
wrote:

Can anyone recommend a type of spice container to buy? Or a specific
retailer that sells a good cheap container?

I just bought a bunch of loose herbs and spices, and now I need some
spice containers to store them in. I'm thinking about these three types
right now:

glass jars with lids. These let you see the spices, but they let in light.

You might try Penzeys.

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...nzeysjars.html

Christine
Old 12-02-2008, 11:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2008-02-12 14:45:56 -0800, Christine Dabney said:
You might try Penzeys.

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...nzeysjars.html

Christine

Those are a good price for glass jars. Just how bad is light for
spices? What if I keep them in a cupboard? Although both of my
cupboards are next to the stove...

Raison

Old 13-02-2008, 01:09 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Raison de Calcul" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
Hi, this is my first time on usenet, but I grew up on the Internet. I
already love this place.

Grew up on the internet.....oh no. This sounds like a modern Charles Dickens
tragedy.

Old 13-02-2008, 01:10 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

news:[email protected]

On 2008-02-12 14:45:56 -0800, Christine Dabney
said:
You might try Penzeys.

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...nzeysjars.html

Christine

Those are a good price for glass jars. Just how bad is light for spices?
What if I keep them in a cupboard? Although both of my cupboards are next
to the stove...

Raison

Light is very bad for spices. That's worse than "pretty bad" and "bad".

Old 13-02-2008, 01:54 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

"Raison de Calcul" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
Hi, this is my first time on usenet, but I grew up on the Internet. I
already love this place.

Grew up on the internet.....oh no. This sounds like a modern Charles Dickens
tragedy.

It was the best of times. It was the worst of times.
Please sir, can I have some more.

Old 13-02-2008, 02:31 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 12, 8:09 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Raison de Calcul" wrote in messagenews:[email protected]

Hi, this is my first time on usenet, but I grew up on the Internet. I
already love this place.

Grew up on the internet.....oh no. This sounds like a modern Charles Dickens
tragedy.

"So I called myself Ping, and came to be called Ping."
Old 13-02-2008, 02:33 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"pavane" wrote in
:

"Anders J. Aamodt" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
| On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 14:37:39 -0800, Raison de
| wrote:
| glass jars with lids. These let you see the spices, but they let in
| light.
|
| On 2008-02-12 14:45:56 -0800, Christine Dabney
| said:
| You might try Penzeys.
|
| http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...nzeysjars.html
|
| Christine
|
| Those are a good price for glass jars. Just how bad is light for
| spices? What if I keep them in a cupboard? Although both of my
| cupboards are next to the stove...

Light is the Darth Vader of earthly effects on spices. You have
two choices: either paint the outside of the clear jars before
filling them with herbs (this way you can create a pleasing color
scheme to fit your kitchen) or when you buy the herbs spread
them on a jelly-roll pan and spray-paint the spices so that
the light will not penetrate and deteriorate them. Be sure to
let them dry thoroughly before putting them into the jars,
which then, of course, need not to be painted. The advantage
of this course of action is that you can paint the herbs and
spices to match whatever recopies you are contemplating:
green for veggies, red for beef, pink for pork and so on, limited
only by your imagination and creativity.

pavane

Keep spices in dark glass beer bottles...a bent nail can be used to
produce shaker holes in the beer bottle caps. OH! use emptied beer
bottles only...think of the fun in collecting the containers especially
if you avoid American beer bottles

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Old 13-02-2008, 02:35 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Toronto wrote in
:

On Feb 12, 8:09 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Raison de Calcul" wrote in
messagenews:[email protected]

Hi, this is my first time on usenet, but I grew up on the Internet.
I already love this place.

Grew up on the internet.....oh no. This sounds like a modern Charles
Dickens tragedy.

"So I called myself Ping, and came to be called Ping."

Is Classic poetry allowed?

There once was a Man from Nantucket....

Old 13-02-2008, 03:02 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

"Raison de Calcul" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
Hi, this is my first time on usenet, but I grew up on the Internet. I
already love this place.

Grew up on the internet.....oh no. This sounds like a modern Charles Dickens
tragedy.

It was the best of times. It was the worst of times.
Please sir, can I have some more.

I'm sorry, Sir, but this is a food group. I'm sure you meant "wurst".

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Old 13-02-2008, 03:08 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article [email protected],
Raison de Calcul wrote:

Hi, this is my first time on usenet, but I grew up on the Internet. I
already love this place.

Can anyone recommend a type of spice container to buy? Or a specific
retailer that sells a good cheap container?

I just bought a bunch of loose herbs and spices, and now I need some
spice containers to store them in. I'm thinking about these three types
right now:

- Metal tins, maybe with a window on top (like the ones at
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...326&ccurrency=
2).
-

glass jars with lids. These let you see the spices, but they let in light.
- ceramic canisters with metal clasps. I think this might be called a
"lightning closure". I can't really find any of spice-jar size online,
but I know they exist. These best because they seal and keep out light,
but they're probably most expensive.

I'd love any tips you've got!

Raison

I use jars (~the size of Penzeys 1/2 cup glass jar), label the lid, and
store the jars alphabetically in a drawer. That size jar is readily
available at Cost Plus World Market, my food co-op, and at Freund
Container (www.FreundContainer.com). If exposure to daylight is your
concern, store them in a dark place: closet, shoe box, cabinet, etc.
For some reason I'm not one who is interested in storing my spices in a
rack on my counter. I have too many jars, for one thing. :-)
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com;pics of my no-knead bread posted
Old 13-02-2008, 03:33 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Raison de Calcul wrote:
[...]

Baby food jars. (I can't believe nobody has mentioned them yet) Just
keep them in a dark cabinet. Being able to see what's inside the jars
is a /good/ thing.

Bob
Old 13-02-2008, 05:14 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

[...]

The Container Store offers a nice selection.

http://www.containerstore.com/browse...9&viewAll=true

Old 13-02-2008, 01:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

[...]

If you have a Dollarama near you, they carry a large selection of jars
with shaker tops, and the clamp down kind with the rubber rings, and all
kinds of storage jars. Cheap and easy to use......Sharon

Old 13-02-2008, 02:09 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Raison de Calcul" wrote

Can anyone recommend a type of spice container to buy? Or a specific
retailer that sells a good cheap container?

I'd love any tips you've got!

Got a friend with a baby/young toddler still on baby food perchance? Ask
for some jars with lids and wash them (the labels soak off easy). If you
want fancy and dont mind being a little crafty, you can then wrpa them in a
bit of pretty fabric or ribbon leaving a little free glass you can see
through at the top. Elmers glue or rubber cement will do fine to hold the
fabric/ribbon on.

Want really fancy? Cut a circle of some thin colored paper, glue this to
the top then use a permanent marker and write the contents on it. You can
then coat the top with clear nailpolish or some sort of shellac to protect
the paper g.