Wayne

Default Braunschweiger, see also Liverwurst or Leberwurst, see also Gooseliver

That's the typical result I get when I search for information on any one
of these "paté like" sausages, and references to "gooseliver" don't
really refer to the livers of geese.

In examining product labels, all three seem to be made of varying
combinations of pork, pork liver, and other pork products, along with
various flavorings, fillers, etc. Ingredients also seem to vary
considerably between brands of the same-named sausage.

When I was a kid, my mom would buy liverwurst, but would not buy
braunschweiger or gooseliver, regardless of brand. She insisted that
that there were distinct differences between the three products, by type
but not by brand. She only liked liverwurst.

The other day I found two products, braunschweiger and gooseliver, side
by side in the dairy case, both produced by the same manufacturer. On
closer examination, most ingredients were the same but the braunschweiger
contained bacon and the gooseliver contained pork snouts. I bought the
branschweiger; I wasn't quite ready for pork snouts! :-) I'm sure if I
had tasted it, I'd never have known.

The question for me is, is there a difinitive difference between the
three named sausages.

Any liver sausage experts out there?

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Janet Bostwick

"Wayne" > wrote in message
> That's the typical result I get when I search for information on any one
> of these "paté like" sausages, and references to "gooseliver" don't
> really refer to the livers of geese.
>
> In examining product labels, all three seem to be made of varying
> combinations of pork, pork liver, and other pork products, along with
> various flavorings, fillers, etc. Ingredients also seem to vary
> considerably between brands of the same-named sausage.
>
> When I was a kid, my mom would buy liverwurst, but would not buy
> braunschweiger or gooseliver, regardless of brand. She insisted that
> that there were distinct differences between the three products, by type
> but not by brand. She only liked liverwurst.
>
> The other day I found two products, braunschweiger and gooseliver, side
> by side in the dairy case, both produced by the same manufacturer. On
> closer examination, most ingredients were the same but the braunschweiger
> contained bacon and the gooseliver contained pork snouts. I bought the
> branschweiger; I wasn't quite ready for pork snouts! :-) I'm sure if I
> had tasted it, I'd never have known.
>
> The question for me is, is there a difinitive difference between the
> three named sausages.
>
> Any liver sausage experts out there?
>
> --
> Wayne in Phoenix
>
> unmunge as w-e-b
>
> *If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
> *A mind is a terrible thing to lose.

Where I grew up there was a difference(German immigrant community). The
order sheet for a hometown butcher shop
indicates the following: Ring Liver Sausage(Liverwurst)-smoked and
Braunsweiger or Fresh Liver Sausage.

You should be able to tell by the color. Braunsweiger is the pinkish
sausage and liverwurst is the grey colored sausage. I always thought that
both were pork products. They are seasoned differently. The braunsweiger
is a much smoother grind than the liverwurst. Braunsweiger doesn't remind
me of pate at all.

Janet

Janet Bostwick

"Wayne" > wrote in message
> That's the typical result I get when I search for information on any one
> of these "paté like" sausages, and references to "gooseliver" don't
> really refer to the livers of geese.
>
> In examining product labels, all three seem to be made of varying
> combinations of pork, pork liver, and other pork products, along with
> various flavorings, fillers, etc. Ingredients also seem to vary
> considerably between brands of the same-named sausage.
>
> When I was a kid, my mom would buy liverwurst, but would not buy
> braunschweiger or gooseliver, regardless of brand. She insisted that
> that there were distinct differences between the three products, by type
> but not by brand. She only liked liverwurst.
>
> The other day I found two products, braunschweiger and gooseliver, side
> by side in the dairy case, both produced by the same manufacturer. On
> closer examination, most ingredients were the same but the braunschweiger
> contained bacon and the gooseliver contained pork snouts. I bought the
> branschweiger; I wasn't quite ready for pork snouts! :-) I'm sure if I
> had tasted it, I'd never have known.
>
> The question for me is, is there a difinitive difference between the
> three named sausages.
>
> Any liver sausage experts out there?
>
> --
> Wayne in Phoenix
>
> unmunge as w-e-b
>
> *If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
> *A mind is a terrible thing to lose.

Where I grew up there was a difference(German immigrant community). The
order sheet for a hometown butcher shop
indicates the following: Ring Liver Sausage(Liverwurst)-smoked and
Braunsweiger or Fresh Liver Sausage.

You should be able to tell by the color. Braunsweiger is the pinkish
sausage and liverwurst is the grey colored sausage. I always thought that
both were pork products. They are seasoned differently. The braunsweiger
is a much smoother grind than the liverwurst. Braunsweiger doesn't remind
me of pate at all.

Janet

Seems to me that braunschweiger was smoked, and liverwurst was not. I doubt,
though, that American manufacturers dwell on fine points like that.

Seems to me that braunschweiger was smoked, and liverwurst was not. I doubt,
though, that American manufacturers dwell on fine points like that.

Wayne

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in
:

> Where I grew up there was a difference(German immigrant community).
> The order sheet for a hometown butcher shop
> indicates the following: Ring Liver Sausage(Liverwurst)-smoked and
> Braunsweiger or Fresh Liver Sausage.
>
> You should be able to tell by the color. Braunsweiger is the pinkish
> sausage and liverwurst is the grey colored sausage. I always thought
> that both were pork products. They are seasoned differently. The
> braunsweiger is a much smoother grind than the liverwurst.
> Braunsweiger doesn't remind me of pate at all.
>
> Janet

I have noticed these differences, but they haven't seemed consistent to
type from brand to brand. For example, the braunschweiger I recently
bought is not pink at all, but decidedly grey. It also contains smoked
bacon, but the texture is definitely more coarse then some (can't
remember which) that I've had.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Wayne

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in
:

> Where I grew up there was a difference(German immigrant community).
> The order sheet for a hometown butcher shop
> indicates the following: Ring Liver Sausage(Liverwurst)-smoked and
> Braunsweiger or Fresh Liver Sausage.
>
> You should be able to tell by the color. Braunsweiger is the pinkish
> sausage and liverwurst is the grey colored sausage. I always thought
> that both were pork products. They are seasoned differently. The
> braunsweiger is a much smoother grind than the liverwurst.
> Braunsweiger doesn't remind me of pate at all.
>
> Janet

I have noticed these differences, but they haven't seemed consistent to
type from brand to brand. For example, the braunschweiger I recently
bought is not pink at all, but decidedly grey. It also contains smoked
bacon, but the texture is definitely more coarse then some (can't
remember which) that I've had.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.

I acquired a taste for the stuff from my mother. One of her favorite lunches
was a braunschweiger and grape jelly sandwich. They are surprisingly good.

I acquired a taste for the stuff from my mother. One of her favorite lunches
was a braunschweiger and grape jelly sandwich. They are surprisingly good.

I acquired a taste for the stuff from my mother. One of her favorite lunches
was a braunschweiger and grape jelly sandwich. They are surprisingly good.

Jack Schidt®

"Wayne" > wrote in message
> That's the typical result I get when I search for information on any one
> of these "paté like" sausages, and references to "gooseliver" don't
> really refer to the livers of geese.
>
> In examining product labels, all three seem to be made of varying
> combinations of pork, pork liver, and other pork products, along with
> various flavorings, fillers, etc. Ingredients also seem to vary
> considerably between brands of the same-named sausage.
>
> When I was a kid, my mom would buy liverwurst, but would not buy
> braunschweiger or gooseliver, regardless of brand. She insisted that
> that there were distinct differences between the three products, by type
> but not by brand. She only liked liverwurst.
>
> The other day I found two products, braunschweiger and gooseliver, side
> by side in the dairy case, both produced by the same manufacturer. On
> closer examination, most ingredients were the same but the braunschweiger
> contained bacon and the gooseliver contained pork snouts. I bought the
> branschweiger; I wasn't quite ready for pork snouts! :-) I'm sure if I
> had tasted it, I'd never have known.
>
> The question for me is, is there a difinitive difference between the
> three named sausages.
>
> Any liver sausage experts out there?
>
> --

This will get you started in quenching your thirst for knowledge of
liverwurst:
http://www.schallerweber.com/product...IVERSURST.html

BTW goose liverwurst does indeed contain goose liver.

Jack Wurst

Jack Schidt®

"Wayne" > wrote in message
> That's the typical result I get when I search for information on any one
> of these "paté like" sausages, and references to "gooseliver" don't
> really refer to the livers of geese.
>
> In examining product labels, all three seem to be made of varying
> combinations of pork, pork liver, and other pork products, along with
> various flavorings, fillers, etc. Ingredients also seem to vary
> considerably between brands of the same-named sausage.
>
> When I was a kid, my mom would buy liverwurst, but would not buy
> braunschweiger or gooseliver, regardless of brand. She insisted that
> that there were distinct differences between the three products, by type
> but not by brand. She only liked liverwurst.
>
> The other day I found two products, braunschweiger and gooseliver, side
> by side in the dairy case, both produced by the same manufacturer. On
> closer examination, most ingredients were the same but the braunschweiger
> contained bacon and the gooseliver contained pork snouts. I bought the
> branschweiger; I wasn't quite ready for pork snouts! :-) I'm sure if I
> had tasted it, I'd never have known.
>
> The question for me is, is there a difinitive difference between the
> three named sausages.
>
> Any liver sausage experts out there?
>
> --

This will get you started in quenching your thirst for knowledge of
liverwurst:
http://www.schallerweber.com/product...IVERSURST.html

BTW goose liverwurst does indeed contain goose liver.

Jack Wurst

Jack Schidt®

"Wayne" > wrote in message
> That's the typical result I get when I search for information on any one
> of these "paté like" sausages, and references to "gooseliver" don't
> really refer to the livers of geese.
>
> In examining product labels, all three seem to be made of varying
> combinations of pork, pork liver, and other pork products, along with
> various flavorings, fillers, etc. Ingredients also seem to vary
> considerably between brands of the same-named sausage.
>
> When I was a kid, my mom would buy liverwurst, but would not buy
> braunschweiger or gooseliver, regardless of brand. She insisted that
> that there were distinct differences between the three products, by type
> but not by brand. She only liked liverwurst.
>
> The other day I found two products, braunschweiger and gooseliver, side
> by side in the dairy case, both produced by the same manufacturer. On
> closer examination, most ingredients were the same but the braunschweiger
> contained bacon and the gooseliver contained pork snouts. I bought the
> branschweiger; I wasn't quite ready for pork snouts! :-) I'm sure if I
> had tasted it, I'd never have known.
>
> The question for me is, is there a difinitive difference between the
> three named sausages.
>
> Any liver sausage experts out there?
>
> --

This will get you started in quenching your thirst for knowledge of
liverwurst:
http://www.schallerweber.com/product...IVERSURST.html

BTW goose liverwurst does indeed contain goose liver.

Jack Wurst

Wayne

Following up to my own post, and in response to kili and Jack Schidt...

The sausage company sites you provided, Usinger's and Schaller & Weber,
make it very clear which sausage is which. I never ran across them in my
searches because I was searching for "definitions".

Both companies descriptions and pictures are very helpful and I'd be sorely
tempted to order from either of them when the weather cooks off here in AZ.

Thanks to you both!

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.

Christine Dabney

On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 07:38:40 GMT, Wayne > wrote:

>Following up to my own post, and in response to kili and Jack Schidt...
>
>The sausage company sites you provided, Usinger's and Schaller & Weber,
>make it very clear which sausage is which. I never ran across them in my
>searches because I was searching for "definitions".
>
>Both companies descriptions and pictures are very helpful and I'd be sorely
>tempted to order from either of them when the weather cooks off here in AZ.
>
>Thanks to you both!

You can find Usinger products at several stores here in Phoenix, I
found. I found the hot dogs, and some others at Sprouts, and some
others at Sunflower Market. I was pleasantly surprised!

Christine
Christine Dabney

On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 07:38:40 GMT, Wayne > wrote:

>Following up to my own post, and in response to kili and Jack Schidt...
>
>The sausage company sites you provided, Usinger's and Schaller & Weber,
>make it very clear which sausage is which. I never ran across them in my
>searches because I was searching for "definitions".
>
>Both companies descriptions and pictures are very helpful and I'd be sorely
>tempted to order from either of them when the weather cooks off here in AZ.
>
>Thanks to you both!

You can find Usinger products at several stores here in Phoenix, I
found. I found the hot dogs, and some others at Sprouts, and some
others at Sunflower Market. I was pleasantly surprised!

Christine
kilikini

"Wayne" > wrote in message
> Following up to my own post, and in response to kili and Jack Schidt...
>
> The sausage company sites you provided, Usinger's and Schaller & Weber,
> make it very clear which sausage is which. I never ran across them in my
> searches because I was searching for "definitions".
>
> Both companies descriptions and pictures are very helpful and I'd be

sorely
> tempted to order from either of them when the weather cooks off here in

AZ.

> Thanks to you both!
>
> --
> Wayne in Phoenix
>
> unmunge as w-e-b

You're very welcome! If you ever get to Milwaukee, going to Usinger's is a
MUST. It's like entering an old world German sausage place. It's really
quaint. It's an experience.

kili

kilikini

"Wayne" > wrote in message
> Following up to my own post, and in response to kili and Jack Schidt...
>
> The sausage company sites you provided, Usinger's and Schaller & Weber,
> make it very clear which sausage is which. I never ran across them in my
> searches because I was searching for "definitions".
>
> Both companies descriptions and pictures are very helpful and I'd be

sorely
> tempted to order from either of them when the weather cooks off here in

AZ.

> Thanks to you both!
>
> --
> Wayne in Phoenix
>
> unmunge as w-e-b

You're very welcome! If you ever get to Milwaukee, going to Usinger's is a
MUST. It's like entering an old world German sausage place. It's really
quaint. It's an experience.

kili

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Wayne
> wrote:

> Following up to my own post, and in response to kili and Jack Schidt...
>
> The sausage company sites you provided, Usinger's and Schaller & Weber,

Ah, yes. Tante Schaller -- how we miss her. "-)
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 9/2/04; check the Fairs Fare tab.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Wayne
> wrote:

> Following up to my own post, and in response to kili and Jack Schidt...
>
> The sausage company sites you provided, Usinger's and Schaller & Weber,

Ah, yes. Tante Schaller -- how we miss her. "-)
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 9/2/04; check the Fairs Fare tab.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Wayne
> wrote:

> Following up to my own post, and in response to kili and Jack Schidt...
>
> The sausage company sites you provided, Usinger's and Schaller & Weber,

Ah, yes. Tante Schaller -- how we miss her. "-)
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 9/2/04; check the Fairs Fare tab.

PENMART01

>> Schaller & Weber,
>
>Ah, yes. Tante Schaller -- how we miss her. "-)
>
>-Barb

Hmmph... Barb the snob... never misses an opportunity to let us know she's
related to the grill magnate. LOL

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

PENMART01

>> Schaller & Weber,
>
>Ah, yes. Tante Schaller -- how we miss her. "-)
>
>-Barb

Hmmph... Barb the snob... never misses an opportunity to let us know she's
related to the grill magnate. LOL

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
PENMART01

>> Schaller & Weber,
>
>Ah, yes. Tante Schaller -- how we miss her. "-)
>
>-Barb

Hmmph... Barb the snob... never misses an opportunity to let us know she's
related to the grill magnate. LOL

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Wayne

Christine Dabney > wrote in
:

> On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 07:38:40 GMT, Wayne > wrote:
>
>>Following up to my own post, and in response to kili and Jack
>>Schidt...
>>
>>The sausage company sites you provided, Usinger's and Schaller &
>>Weber, make it very clear which sausage is which. I never ran across
>>them in my searches because I was searching for "definitions".
>>
>>Both companies descriptions and pictures are very helpful and I'd be
>>sorely tempted to order from either of them when the weather cooks off
>>here in AZ.
>>
>>Thanks to you both!

> You can find Usinger products at several stores here in Phoenix, I
> found. I found the hot dogs, and some others at Sprouts, and some
> others at Sunflower Market. I was pleasantly surprised!
>
> Christine

I'll have to do some looking, Christine. As you've probably discovered,
Apache Junction is not known for places like Sprouts. When I'm off my
beaten path, I'll make a point of it.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Wayne

Christine Dabney > wrote in
:

> On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 07:38:40 GMT, Wayne > wrote:
>
>>Following up to my own post, and in response to kili and Jack
>>Schidt...
>>
>>The sausage company sites you provided, Usinger's and Schaller &
>>Weber, make it very clear which sausage is which. I never ran across
>>them in my searches because I was searching for "definitions".
>>
>>Both companies descriptions and pictures are very helpful and I'd be
>>sorely tempted to order from either of them when the weather cooks off
>>here in AZ.
>>
>>Thanks to you both!

> You can find Usinger products at several stores here in Phoenix, I
> found. I found the hot dogs, and some others at Sprouts, and some
> others at Sunflower Market. I was pleasantly surprised!
>
> Christine

I'll have to do some looking, Christine. As you've probably discovered,
Apache Junction is not known for places like Sprouts. When I'm off my
beaten path, I'll make a point of it.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Christine Dabney

On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 04:25:52 GMT, Wayne > wrote:

>I'll have to do some looking, Christine. As you've probably discovered,
>Apache Junction is not known for places like Sprouts. When I'm off my
>beaten path, I'll make a point of it.

I haven't been out to Apache Junction...yet. Is there anything out
that way worth the trip?

Christine