Alan Duncanson

Default Chipolte Question

I taste a hint of lactic fermentation in most chipolte products, whether
powdered, whole or "en adobo".

I can find no mention of a fermetnation step in the production of chipotle,
including Mark Miller's "The Great Chile Book". Of course, fermentation in
many circumstances is harder to avoid than to induce.

Can anybody provide a little information?

Thanks -

Alan Duncanson
Indianapolis

Steve Calvin

Alan Duncanson wrote:

> I taste a hint of lactic fermentation in most chipolte products, whether
> powdered, whole or "en adobo".
>
> I can find no mention of a fermetnation step in the production of chipotle,
> including Mark Miller's "The Great Chile Book". Of course, fermentation in
> many circumstances is harder to avoid than to induce.
>
> Can anybody provide a little information?
>
> Thanks -
>
> Alan Duncanson
> Indianapolis

I wouldn't know why that would happen. chipoltes are just smoked
Jalapenos. And adobo sauce is simply a dark red piquant sauce made
from ground chiles, herbs and vinegar.

--
Steve

Jack Schidt®

"Alan Duncanson" > wrote in message
> I taste a hint of lactic fermentation in most chipolte products, whether
> powdered, whole or "en adobo".
>
> I can find no mention of a fermetnation step in the production of

chipotle,
> including Mark Miller's "The Great Chile Book". Of course, fermentation

in
> many circumstances is harder to avoid than to induce.
>
> Can anybody provide a little information?
>
> Thanks -

First, it's 'chipotle'.

Second, it's produced by smoking jalapeños. There's no fermentation
involved. With all due respect, it's all in your head.

Jack Psychosomatic

PENMART01

In article > , "Jack Schidt®"
> writes:

>"Alan Duncanson" > wrote in message
>> I taste a hint of lactic fermentation in most chipolte products, whether
>> powdered, whole or "en adobo".
>>
>> I can find no mention of a fermetnation step in the production of

>chipotle,
>> including Mark Miller's "The Great Chile Book". Of course, fermentation

>in
>> many circumstances is harder to avoid than to induce.
>>
>> Can anybody provide a little information?
>>
>> Thanks -
>>

>First, it's 'chipotle'.
>
>Second, it's produced by <U>smoking</U> jalapeños.
>There's no fermentation involved.
>With all due respect, it's all in your head.
>
>Jack Psychosomatic

Smoking... ?

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Jack Schidt®

"PENMART01" > wrote in message
> In article > , "Jack

Schidt®"
> > writes:
>
> >"Alan Duncanson" > wrote in message
> >> I taste a hint of lactic fermentation in most chipolte products,

whether
> >> powdered, whole or "en adobo".
> >>
> >> I can find no mention of a fermetnation step in the production of

> >chipotle,
> >> including Mark Miller's "The Great Chile Book". Of course,

fermentation
> >in
> >> many circumstances is harder to avoid than to induce.
> >>
> >> Can anybody provide a little information?
> >>
> >> Thanks -
> >>

> >First, it's 'chipotle'.
> >
> >Second, it's produced by <U>smoking</U> jalapeños.
> >There's no fermentation involved.
> >With all due respect, it's all in your head.
> >
> >Jack Psychosomatic

> Smoking... ?

yep, and lemme tellya, they're hard to keep lit.

Jack Cheech

Paul M. Cook©®

"Jack Schidt®" > wrote in message
m...

> "PENMART01" > wrote in message
> > In article > , "Jack

> Schidt®"
> > > writes:

> whether

> > >chipotle,

> fermentation
> > >in

> > >First, it's 'chipotle'.
> > >
> > >Second, it's produced by <U>smoking</U> jalapeños.
> > >There's no fermentation involved.
> > >With all due respect, it's all in your head.
> > >
> > >Jack Psychosomatic

> > Smoking... ?
> >

> yep, and lemme tellya, they're hard to keep lit.

Oh man! Don't inhale, it HURTS!

Paul

Alan Duncanson

I wrote:

> > whether

> > fermentation

Several people answered. - "No"

Thanks for the replies - Alan

zxcvbob

Alan Duncanson wrote:

>>>whether

>>>fermentation

> Several people answered. - "No"
>
> Thanks for the replies - Alan

You are too quick to believe what several people tell you. I don't
know, but it is very plausable that the peppers sour during the initial
stages of smoking -- not because they are necessarily supposed to, but
because the temperature is right.

I've eaten fresh ripe red peppers that had a bit of a sour taste to
them, and I attributed it to ascorbic acid rather than lactic.

Best regards,
Bob