Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

Default Chipolte Salsa: Usable recipe?

As a way of making several meals fast I would make a big pot of black
beans and brown rice. Then I would stir in a 3 cup jar of chipolte
salsa. Instant "Spanish Rice & Beans".

The trouble it, salsa, especially chipolte salsa is getting pricey.
Depending on the brand I use the sauce can cost me about $6 - $8 a
pot. Still cheap considering the number of meals I get, but I would
like to be less wasteful with my money.

I found this easy recipe using cheap ingredients for chipolte salsa,
but it has no measurements and I am not a natural cook. I would be
more comfortable with measurements.

Can anyone help me by suggesting amounts of each ingredient to use? I
would like like to get 3 - 4 cups of salsa out of the resulting
recipe:

* Small can chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
* Small can tomato sauce
* Garlic powdered
* Dried oregano

The directions are pretty much to mix all in a blender
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking
No Name

In article <9a8dded9-4766-41a5-8a34-375741636179
@u72g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>, says...
[quoting trimmed by moderator]
> would like like to get 3 - 4 cups of salsa out of the resulting
> recipe:
>
> * Small can chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
> * Small can tomato sauce
> * Garlic powdered
> * Dried oregano

What country is the recipe from? Here in the US, I would guess the
small tomato sauce is a 14-15 oz can (and large would be 28 oz). The
small chipotle I buy is 7 oz, but maybe there is a can half that size?
Still, that seems excessively spicy to me (and I like heat), so I was
wondering about the country of origin? I'd start with a teaspoon of
garlic and a 1/2 tablespoon of oregano, and adjust by taste, but
honestly the recipe doesn't sound very 'salsa-y' to me. Does your jar
salsa have garlic and oregano?

I found this at epicurious.com. It seems more salsa like and the
flavors seem better to me. You could probably omit the cilantro if you
despise it as much as I do. You could also use canned diced tomatoes
and bottled lime juice, instead of fresh, especially if you are cooking
it in beans anyway.
===
chipotle salsa
Bon Appétit | September 1995

This salsa from Café Iguana in Denver, Colorado is terrific with
tortilla chips.

MAKES ABOUT 3 CUPS.

Kevin Taylor, Café Iguana, Denver, Colorado

3 cups chopped tomatoes
3/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 1/2 tablespoons chopped canned chipotle chilies in adobo sauce (sold
at Latin American markets)
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin

Combine all ingredients in medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
===

Hope this helps.

Louise
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

On Mar 12, 5:38 am, > wrote:
> > * Small can chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
> > * Small can tomato sauce
> > * Garlic powdered
> > * Dried oregano

> What country is the recipe from?

I have no idea. I got it off of ehow.com:
http://www.ehow.com/how_2195061_quic...tle-salsa.html

> I found this at epicurious.com.
> MAKES ABOUT 3 CUPS.
>
> Kevin Taylor, Café Iguana, Denver, Colorado
>
> 3 cups chopped tomatoes
> 3/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
> 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
> 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped canned chipotle chilies in adobo sauce (sold
> at Latin American markets)
> 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
>
> Combine all ingredients in medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper.

Thanks Louise!

I don't plan on cooking it, I just want to stir it into a finished
pot of rice and beans, as I do with store bought salsa. Like I wrote
the *good* salsa from the store was costing me about $8, which is
ridiculous. That is why is why I was looking for a recipe I could
make on my own easily and cheaply.
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

> On Mar 12, 5:38 am, > wrote:.
> > MAKES ABOUT 3 CUPS.

> > Kevin Taylor, Café Iguana, Denver, Colorado

> > 3 cups chopped tomatoes
> > 3/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
> > 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
> > 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped canned chipotle chilies in adobo sauce (sold
> > at Latin American markets)
> > 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin

> > Combine all ingredients in medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper.

I made this tonight. Luckily my neighborhood borders on a Latin
American neighborhood. No shortage of hispanic groceries. I had to
use a blender to break apart the chipoltes, but everything blended
well in my wimpy blender.

I now understand what you mean about the chipoltes. They are
powerful.

I went slightly over your 1.5 tablespoons.

The recipe is slightly too hot, but it is very good and it only cost a
little over $2 to make enough for a stew pot full of black beans and
brown rice.

I just need to reduce the chipoltes and crank up the cilantro.

Next week!

It will feel so good NOT spending $8 on salsa anymore.