Aria

Default Prime Rib

We're having prime rib tomorrow and my husband bought one that doesn't have
bones. I have heard that they are not as good. Is that true? Also, do I cook
it differently than one with bones????

Aria

Reg

Aria wrote:

> We're having prime rib tomorrow and my husband bought one that doesn't have
> bones. I have heard that they are not as good. Is that true? Also, do I cook
> it differently than one with bones????

Some would say everything is better bone in, but it's a very minor
difference IMO. Be prepared to enjoy the heck out of it.

Cook it the same as you would with the bones. Same temp, etc. It's
actually smaller and a bit easier to handle without the rib bones.

murray

given the mad cow disease scare announced yesterday after finding a
sick cow that had been slaughtered and processed in Washington State,
I would see if you could find a turkey!!!! Just read it in the NY
Times...Had a similar scare in Canada.. brought the prices down for a
short time..

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 11:58:07 -0700, "Aria" >
wrote:

>We're having prime rib tomorrow and my husband bought one that doesn't have
>bones. I have heard that they are not as good. Is that true? Also, do I cook
>it differently than one with bones????
>
>Aria

Boron Elgar

wrote:

>We're having prime rib tomorrow and my husband bought one that doesn't have
>bones. I have heard that they are not as good. Is that true? Also, do I cook
>it differently than one with bones????
>
>Aria

You'll want to roast it on a rack if there are no bones, otherwise
proceed as you usually do for prime rib. It will be much easier to
carve than one with the bones. (though I confess, the bones are my
favorite part)

Boron
Laura

--

Laura

"Reg" > wrote in message
om...
> Aria wrote:
>
> > We're having prime rib tomorrow and my husband bought one that doesn't

have
> > bones. I have heard that they are not as good. Is that true? Also, do I

cook
> > it differently than one with bones????

> Some would say everything is better {with a} bone in, but it's a very

minor
> difference IMO

ok...I would say that is mostly so..what's it got do with prime rib?<lol>

Steve Wertz

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 20:35:01 GMT, murray >
wrote:

>given the mad cow disease scare announced yesterday after finding a
>sick cow that had been slaughtered and processed in Washington State,
>I would see if you could find a turkey!!!!

I strongly encourage that everyone avoid any beef or beef products.
Sell all your stocks in beef-related industries (that includes
Altoids), and only eat chicken breasts, if you have to eat meat at
all. Try and eat soy-substitutes as often as possible.

In 50 years, kids will be asking their parents - "Why did they call it
meat?"

-sw
robert

Not a problem. Roast it the same way.
Rotiseree<sp> it if you can, just coat it-IMO.

"Aria" > wrote in message
> We're having prime rib tomorrow and my husband bought one that doesn't

have
> bones. I have heard that they are not as good. Is that true? Also, do I

cook
> it differently than one with bones????
>
> Aria

Steve Calvin

murray wrote:

> given the mad cow disease scare announced yesterday after finding a
> sick cow that had been slaughtered and processed in Washington State,
> I would see if you could find a turkey!!!! Just read it in the NY
> Times...Had a similar scare in Canada.. brought the prices down for a
> short time..
>

> On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 11:58:07 -0700, "Aria" >
> wrote:
>

>>We're having prime rib tomorrow and my husband bought one that doesn't have
>>bones. I have heard that they are not as good. Is that true? Also, do I cook
>>it differently than one with bones????
>>
>>Aria

oh please. The hysteria over this is like everyone in the country
giving up their cars because someone in Florida had an accident.

--
Steve

Reg

Laura wrote: buncha garbage

Don't quote my text then *edit* it, jerkoff.

Plus learn how to use a newsreader. The sig goes at the bottom
of the message, not the top.

Dimiri

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 20:35:01 GMT, murray >
> wrote:
>
> >given the mad cow disease scare announced yesterday after finding a
> >sick cow that had been slaughtered and processed in Washington State,
> >I would see if you could find a turkey!!!!

> I strongly encourage that everyone avoid any beef or beef products.
> Sell all your stocks in beef-related industries (that includes
> Altoids), and only eat chicken breasts, if you have to eat meat at
> all. Try and eat soy-substitutes as often as possible.
>
> In 50 years, kids will be asking their parents - "Why did they call it
> meat?"
>
> -sw

Alarmist.

Dimitri

Sam D.

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 20:35:01 GMT, murray >
> wrote:
>
> >given the mad cow disease scare announced yesterday after finding a
> >sick cow that had been slaughtered and processed in Washington State,
> >I would see if you could find a turkey!!!!

> I strongly encourage that everyone avoid any beef or beef products.
> Sell all your stocks in beef-related industries (that includes
> Altoids), and only eat chicken breasts, if you have to eat meat at
> all. Try and eat soy-substitutes as often as possible.

Yes, and do keep in mind that toxins have spread through our water supply
too. So, to be safe, don't even think about drinking the water or ingesting
anything that came in contact with it. ;;

Mike Beede

In article >, Steve Wertz > wrote:

> I strongly encourage that everyone avoid any beef or beef products.
> [....]

I can't tell if this was ironic or serious. I guess that means
if it was ironic, you win, and if serious, you lose.

Mike Beede
pavane

"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
s.com...

> oh please. The hysteria over this is like everyone in the country
> giving up their cars because someone in Florida had an accident.

OMIGOD...who was it???

LIMEYNO1

Scare monger!

"Dimiri" > wrote in message
. com...

> "Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> > On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 20:35:01 GMT, murray >
> > wrote:
> >
> > >given the mad cow disease scare announced yesterday after finding a
> > >sick cow that had been slaughtered and processed in Washington State,
> > >I would see if you could find a turkey!!!!

> > I strongly encourage that everyone avoid any beef or beef products.
> > Sell all your stocks in beef-related industries (that includes
> > Altoids), and only eat chicken breasts, if you have to eat meat at
> > all. Try and eat soy-substitutes as often as possible.
> >
> > In 50 years, kids will be asking their parents - "Why did they call it
> > meat?"
> >
> > -sw

> Alarmist.
>
> Dimitri

Steve Calvin

pavane wrote:

> "Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
> s.com...
>

>>oh please. The hysteria over this is like everyone in the country
>>giving up their cars because someone in Florida had an accident.

> OMIGOD...who was it???

Aunt Grace... She's ok though. ;-)

--
Steve

Steve Wertz

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 17:24:11 -0600, Mike Beede > wrote:

>I can't tell if this was ironic or serious. I guess that means
>if it was ironic, you win, and if serious, you lose.

As some of the people know well enough from other groups, I'm very
pro-beef.

Cows have rights, too.

-sw
Mike Beede

In article >, Steve Wertz > wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 17:24:11 -0600, Mike Beede > wrote:
>
> >I can't tell if this was ironic or serious. I guess that means
> >if it was ironic, you win, and if serious, you lose.

> As some of the people know well enough from other groups, I'm very
> pro-beef.
>
> Cows have rights, too.

Okay, you win for the second time. You mean you're "pro eating beef,"
or you're "anti eating beef (or pro cow)?" I think from your last paragraph
that you mean the latter, but isn't "beef" the meat rather than the animal?

Is it an objection to the conditions of cattle raising, or an ethical objection
to eating them in general?

Mike
jmcquown

murray wrote:
> given the mad cow disease scare announced yesterday after finding a
> sick cow that had been slaughtered and processed in Washington State,
> I would see if you could find a turkey!!!! Just read it in the NY
> Times...Had a similar scare in Canada.. brought the prices down for a
> short time..

Don't be an alarmist. They found 10,000 lbs. of GROUND BEEF on Wednesday
which might be infected. Chains like McDonald's and Wendy's are pulling
ground beef they bought. As far as I can tell, no one is pulling roasts or
steaks. Must have been some tough old cows

Jill

> On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 11:58:07 -0700, "Aria" >
> wrote:
>
>> We're having prime rib tomorrow and my husband bought one that
>> doesn't have bones. I have heard that they are not as good. Is that
>> true? Also, do I cook it differently than one with bones????
>>
>> Aria

robert

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 17:24:11 -0600, Mike Beede > wrote:
>
> >I can't tell if this was ironic or serious. I guess that means
> >if it was ironic, you win, and if serious, you lose.

> As some of the people know well enough from other groups, I'm very
> pro-beef.
>
> Cows have rights, too.

Cows have the rights to be served up medium-rare.

Steve Wertz

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 23:42:06 -0600, Mike Beede > wrote:

>In article >, Steve Wertz > wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 17:24:11 -0600, Mike Beede > wrote:
>>
>> >I can't tell if this was ironic or serious. I guess that means
>> >if it was ironic, you win, and if serious, you lose.

>> As some of the people know well enough from other groups, I'm very
>> pro-beef.
>>
>> Cows have rights, too.

>Okay, you win for the second time. You mean you're "pro eating beef,"
>or you're "anti eating beef (or pro cow)?" I think from your last paragraph
>that you mean the latter, but isn't "beef" the meat rather than the animal?

Yes, yes, and yes.

>Is it an objection to the conditions of cattle raising, or an ethical objection
>to eating them in general?

Neither.

Please pass the horse....radish.

OK, OK. Yes, I eat beef and don't feel the least bit of guilt. The
original post was tongue in cheek so that beef prices would drop
drastically. Though I feel for the farmers who will feel the crunch
more than the big corporations (who will be lobbying against any sort
of precautions or public safety demands).

I could have kept this up for a few more posts, but I do have some
sympathy for fellow man :-) Somebody would have turned me in
eventually, anyway.

-sw

Blair P. Houghton

jmcquown > wrote:
>murray wrote:
>> given the mad cow disease scare announced yesterday after finding a
>> sick cow that had been slaughtered and processed in Washington State,
>> I would see if you could find a turkey!!!! Just read it in the NY
>> Times...Had a similar scare in Canada.. brought the prices down for a
>> short time..
>>

>Don't be an alarmist. They found 10,000 lbs. of GROUND BEEF on Wednesday
>which might be infected. Chains like McDonald's and Wendy's are pulling
>ground beef they bought. As far as I can tell, no one is pulling roasts or
>steaks. Must have been some tough old cows

"Mechanically separated".

After they cut the primal cuts off a carcass, they are left with big
bones, including spine.

They put the big bones in a press, and press.

In many forms of the process, the spine is crushed, expressing
the spinal culumn.

This is mixed with the "meat" being scraped off the other
bones by their other bones, and comes out of the bottom
of the press.

There's your problem.

There are "advanced meat recovery" (AMR) methods which are
supposed not to cause the spinal column to become part of
the produced meat product. In fact, not *permitted* to cause
that to happen.

But, clearly, wherever Mickey-D's is getting its mechanically
separated meat products, they aren't inspecting all of it.

--Blair
"10,000 usenet posts were recalled for
being contaminated with ridiculous
presumptions and large-scale pretensions."
Steve Wertz

On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 04:47:07 GMT, Blair P. Houghton > wrote:

>But, clearly, wherever Mickey-D's is getting its mechanically
>separated meat products, they aren't inspecting all of it.

Yep. Up to 15% of "ground beef" can be meat from AMR without having
to be labelled as such. Last year, 35% of all random samplings of
ground beef contained illegal spinal tissue.

-sw

Prime Rib? vex[_4_] Barbecue 15 08-01-2011 11:21 PM
Prime Rib [email protected] General Cooking 17 17-01-2006 06:19 PM
Prime Rib Tim Bowley Recipes (moderated) 0 25-02-2005 02:55 AM
Prime Rib PENMART01 General Cooking 12 07-07-2004 02:35 AM
Prime Rib on BBQ Doug Barbecue 7 18-06-2004 02:14 AM