Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Prime Rib?

I know it's not bbq, but since I'll have the smoker out this week, I figured
I'd try my hand at putting some smoke into a prime rib, since it was on
sale. :-)

Does anyone have any pointers? I'll likely leave it on for just an hour or
so since it's a small one, and finish it in the oven so I don't get too much
smoke in it...

--

--Brett

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Dec 20, 7:26*am, "vex" > wrote:
> I know it's not bbq, but since I'll have the smoker out this week, I figured
> I'd try my hand at putting some smoke into a prime rib, since it was on
> sale. :-)
>
> Does anyone have any pointers? I'll likely leave it on for just an hour or
> so since it's a small one, and finish it in the oven so I don't get too much
> smoke in it...
>
> --
>
> --Brett

In my experience this cut of meat soaks up smoke like a sponge,
cooking it on the grill normally, using lump charcoal will give you
more than enough smoke.

Have had too much smoke before roasting/grilling one of these with
lump. So you're right to be careful.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

vex ) opined:

> I know it's not bbq, but since I'll have the smoker out
> this week, I figured I'd try my hand at putting some smoke
> into a prime rib, since it was on sale. :-)
>
> Does anyone have any pointers? I'll likely leave it on for
> just an hour or so since it's a small one, and finish it in
> the oven so I don't get too much smoke in it...

I agree.

When thinking about doing how to do a rib roast myself for
Saturday, I figured an hour on the smoker at the most and then
into the oven.

Unless I get some sausage made on Friday, I'll probably just
stick to the oven. High of 27F predicted for Saturday kinda
makes smoking drop down the list of things I want to be doing,
particularly if only smoking for a single hour, but with all
the normal heating up and cleaning up of the pit.

--
George B. Ross is
remove the OBVIOUSBIT for email
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 07:26:37 -0800, vex wrote:

> I know it's not bbq, but since I'll have the smoker out this week, I figured
> I'd try my hand at putting some smoke into a prime rib, since it was on
> sale. :-)
>
> Does anyone have any pointers? I'll likely leave it on for just an hour or
> so since it's a small one, and finish it in the oven so I don't get too much
> smoke in it...

You can just cook it over lump at a low temp (250F) and then pop it
in a really hot oven just long enough to get a crust. Don't use
any smoke except what the lump provides. You're get the taste of
the great outdoors, a touch of smoke, and it'll be better than
anything you cook out of the oven.

ObChristmas: I just put four racks of spares in the smoker as
presents for the neighbors. I made St Louis's out of spares, and I
get to keep all the trimmings for myself.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 11:37:59 -0800 (PST), tutall wrote:

> In my experience this cut of meat soaks up smoke like a sponge,
> cooking it on the grill normally, using lump charcoal will give you
> more than enough smoke.

I wouldn't do this with Lazzari lump, but I have with a low-smoke
lump and it worked fine for me. I guess it depends on how well the
lump is pre-burned.

-sw

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Dec 20, 1:17*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 11:37:59 -0800 (PST), tutall wrote:
>
> I wouldn't do this with Lazzari lump, but I have with a low-smoke
> lump and it worked fine for me. *I guess it depends on how well the
> lump is pre-burned.
>
> -sw

Lazzari is smokier than normal aint it?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 14:37:36 -0800 (PST), tutall wrote:

> On Dec 20, 1:17*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
>> On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 11:37:59 -0800 (PST), tutall wrote:
>>
>> I wouldn't do this with Lazzari lump, but I have with a low-smoke
>> lump and it worked fine for me. *I guess it depends on how well the
>> lump is pre-burned.
>>
>> -sw

> Lazzari is smokier than normal aint it?

Yep. Was it you that turned me onto that before I burned it the
first time? I didn't use any smoke except the lump and whatever it
was cam out just fine.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 07:26:37 -0800, "vex" > wrote:

>I know it's not bbq, but since I'll have the smoker out this week, I figured
>I'd try my hand at putting some smoke into a prime rib, since it was on
>sale. :-)
>
>Does anyone have any pointers? I'll likely leave it on for just an hour or
>so since it's a small one, and finish it in the oven so I don't get too much
>smoke in it...

I've done a couple med-sized bone-in (4-6 ribs) on my WSMC and they
came out great. Memory fails but I'm thinking I might have used the
coarse salt encrustation method. I think this cut responds best to
higher, drier heat (~350 deg) than the other cuts.

But then, I might be wr.... wr..... wr...... not not right.

-TES
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 18:03:24 -0600, Sqwertz wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 14:37:36 -0800 (PST), tutall wrote:
>
>> Lazzari is smokier than normal aint it?

> Yep. Was it you that turned me onto that before I burned it the
> first time?

Correction: You turned me onto the fact that smoking wood may not
be needed when you use Lazzari. I had of course known about
Lazzari for years (but never used any until then).

My four racks of ribs are done and distributed. Even before I was
done wrapping the other three, the recipients of the first rack had
already eaten some (or all) of it and the husband was back at my
door offering to buy anther rack for $25. I had given them their
rack right off the smoker onto the cutting board she brought over.
So I guess they liked them.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 18:01:11 -0800, Theodore Edward Stosterone
wrote:

> I've done a couple med-sized bone-in (4-6 ribs) on my WSMC and they
> came out great. Memory fails but I'm thinking I might have used the
> coarse salt encrustation method. I think this cut responds best to
> higher, drier heat (~350 deg) than the other cuts.
>
> But then, I might be wr.... wr..... wr...... not not right.

Well, 6 ribs is just one bone short of a full prime rib. About 17
pounds. So I wouldn't call that "medium-sized" :-)

-sw

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Dec 20, 7:26*am, "vex" > wrote:
> I know it's not bbq, but since I'll have the smoker out this week, I figured
> I'd try my hand at putting some smoke into a prime rib, since it was on
> sale. :-)
>
> Does anyone have any pointers? I'll likely leave it on for just an hour or
> so since it's a small one, and finish it in the oven so I don't get too much
> smoke in it...
>
> --
>
> --Brett

We've done many, many standing rib roasts over the years on the 22"
Weber.
You should:
1.Grill at a relatively low grilling temp. about 300F.
2.Always, always, grill indirectly with a drip pan under the standing
rib itself. You must save the drippings for the Yorkshire pudding that
goes along wtih it.
3.What you do with the cut ends of the roast is up to the "man/woman
at the helm". I apply salt and pepper, following by a very very thin
slathering of bacon fat to the cut ends. This keeps the cut edge meat
moister.
4. Have your roast at room temp, or close to it when you begin. I
don't turn the roast during the whole process. I start at about 375 to
get going, and then, as above, immediatelly drop the temp. to 300F to
evenly cook the roast rare from edge to edge.
5.After the internal temp. reaches 125F, for a rare roast, rest it in
a warm place for 30 minutes while you're making your Yorkshire pudding
with the drippings.
6.Grilling time: The grilling time for a many rib versus a 3 rib roast
isn't that far apart. It more depends on which end of the standing rib
you have. If it's the thicker end, ribs 6-9, it takes longer. If it's
at the small end of the cut your time is less.

Throw a few chunks of wood on the charcoal at the beginning. Don't
worry about wood after that.

Standing rib is close to being the greatest, not one of the greatest
cuts of meat in the world.

Enviously yours,

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Dec 20, 10:26*am, "vex" > wrote:
> I know it's not bbq, but since I'll have the smoker out this week, I figured
> I'd try my hand at putting some smoke into a prime rib, since it was on
> sale. :-)
>
> Does anyone have any pointers? I'll likely leave it on for just an hour or
> so since it's a small one, and finish it in the oven so I don't get too much
> smoke in it...

Don't bother. We are finished if we cannot find an infinite number of
planets to hop onto. That'll never happen though. The Universe will
eventually contract wiping out everything that we stand for. But
first the Earth needs to ****ing die.
http://www.newscientist.com/article/...uns-death.html

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Kent" > wrote in message
On Dec 20, 7:26 am, "vex" > wrote:
> I know it's not bbq, but since I'll have the smoker out this week, I
> figured
> I'd try my hand at putting some smoke into a prime rib, since it was on
> sale. :-)
>
> Does anyone have any pointers? I'll likely leave it on for just an hour or
> so since it's a small one, and finish it in the oven so I don't get too
> much
> smoke in it...
>
> --
>
> --Brett

We've done many, many standing rib roasts over the years on the 22"
Weber.
You should:
1.Grill at a relatively low grilling temp. about 300F.
2.Always, always, grill indirectly with a drip pan under the standing
rib itself. You must save the drippings for the Yorkshire pudding that
goes along wtih it.
3.What you do with the cut ends of the roast is up to the "man/woman
at the helm". I apply salt and pepper, following by a very very thin
slathering of bacon fat to the cut ends. This keeps the cut edge meat
moister.
4. Have your roast at room temp, or close to it when you begin. I
don't turn the roast during the whole process. I start at about 375 to
get going, and then, as above, immediatelly drop the temp. to 300F to
evenly cook the roast rare from edge to edge.
5.After the internal temp. reaches 125F, for a rare roast, rest it in
a warm place for 30 minutes while you're making your Yorkshire pudding
with the drippings.
6.Grilling time: The grilling time for a many rib versus a 3 rib roast
isn't that far apart. It more depends on which end of the standing rib
you have. If it's the thicker end, ribs 6-9, it takes longer. If it's
at the small end of the cut your time is less.

Throw a few chunks of wood on the charcoal at the beginning. Don't
worry about wood after that.

Standing rib is close to being the greatest, not one of the greatest
cuts of meat in the world.

Enviously yours,

Kent

A serious error above: The roast should be removed and rested when the
internal temp reaches 115F!

Kent

Member

Location: Dallas, tx

We had prime rib for Xmas, slow smokedmit for 9 hours and it was so so so good.

Brad @ [url=http://Http:www.dallaspitbbq.com]Dallas BBQ catering[/]

Prime Rib [email protected] General Cooking 17 17-01-2006 06:19 PM
Prime Rib Tim Bowley Recipes (moderated) 0 25-02-2005 02:55 AM
Prime Rib PENMART01 General Cooking 12 07-07-2004 02:35 AM
Prime Rib on BBQ Doug Barbecue 7 18-06-2004 02:14 AM
Prime Rib on a gas BBQ Doug General Cooking 5 16-06-2004 11:22 PM