Sue D.

Default I messed up :(

Hi all, Monday i sliced a 3 1/2 lb roast to put
in marinade for making jerky...planned to leave
in it ziplock bag over night and start it on Tuesday...
guess what I just found...talk about feeling dumb.
The marinade had some lemon juice and rice wine
vinegar in it but I doubt enough to save it. I am
pretty sure it needs to be tossed, just thought I'd
check here...doesn't smell awful, all I can smell is
the marinade. Help???

Sue D.
Bob (this one)

Sue D. wrote:

> Hi all, Monday i sliced a 3 1/2 lb roast to put
> in marinade for making jerky...planned to leave
> in it ziplock bag over night and start it on Tuesday...
> guess what I just found...talk about feeling dumb.
> The marinade had some lemon juice and rice wine
> vinegar in it but I doubt enough to save it. I am
> pretty sure it needs to be tossed, just thought I'd
> check here...doesn't smell awful, all I can smell is
> the marinade. Help???

Was it left out of the fridge? I don't understand the problem.

If it was refrigerated, it should be fine. Particularly since it was
in an acidic environment.

Pastorio

Bob (this one)

Sue D. wrote:

> Hi all, Monday i sliced a 3 1/2 lb roast to put
> in marinade for making jerky...planned to leave
> in it ziplock bag over night and start it on Tuesday...
> guess what I just found...talk about feeling dumb.
> The marinade had some lemon juice and rice wine
> vinegar in it but I doubt enough to save it. I am
> pretty sure it needs to be tossed, just thought I'd
> check here...doesn't smell awful, all I can smell is
> the marinade. Help???

Was it left out of the fridge? I don't understand the problem.

If it was refrigerated, it should be fine. Particularly since it was
in an acidic environment.

Pastorio

Sue D.

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 15:16:56 -0400, "Bob (this one)" >
wrote:

>Sue D. wrote:
>
>> Hi all, Monday i sliced a 3 1/2 lb roast to put
>> in marinade for making jerky...planned to leave
>> in it ziplock bag over night and start it on Tuesday...
>> guess what I just found...talk about feeling dumb.
>> The marinade had some lemon juice and rice wine
>> vinegar in it but I doubt enough to save it. I am
>> pretty sure it needs to be tossed, just thought I'd
>> check here...doesn't smell awful, all I can smell is
>> the marinade. Help???

>Was it left out of the fridge? I don't understand the problem.
>
>If it was refrigerated, it should be fine. Particularly since it was
>in an acidic environment.
>
>Pastorio

No, it was in the fridge all the time...I just figured leaving it that
long would kill it...thanks for the help!
Sue
Sue D.

wrote:

>Sue D. wrote:
>
>> Hi all, Monday i sliced a 3 1/2 lb roast to put
>> in marinade for making jerky...planned to leave
>> in it ziplock bag over night and start it on Tuesday...
>> guess what I just found...talk about feeling dumb.
>> The marinade had some lemon juice and rice wine
>> vinegar in it but I doubt enough to save it. I am
>> pretty sure it needs to be tossed, just thought I'd
>> check here...doesn't smell awful, all I can smell is
>> the marinade. Help???

>Was it left out of the fridge? I don't understand the problem.
>
>If it was refrigerated, it should be fine. Particularly since it was
>in an acidic environment.
>
>Pastorio

No, it was in the fridge all the time...I just figured leaving it that
long would kill it...thanks for the help!
Sue

zxcvbob

Sue D. wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 15:16:56 -0400, "Bob (this one)" >
> wrote:
>

>>Sue D. wrote:
>>

>>>Hi all, Monday i sliced a 3 1/2 lb roast to put
>>>in marinade for making jerky...planned to leave
>>>in it ziplock bag over night and start it on Tuesday...
>>>guess what I just found...talk about feeling dumb.
>>>The marinade had some lemon juice and rice wine
>>>vinegar in it but I doubt enough to save it. I am
>>>pretty sure it needs to be tossed, just thought I'd
>>>check here...doesn't smell awful, all I can smell is
>>>the marinade. Help???

>>Was it left out of the fridge? I don't understand the problem.
>>
>>If it was refrigerated, it should be fine. Particularly since it was
>>in an acidic environment.
>>
>>Pastorio

> No, it was in the fridge all the time...I just figured leaving it that
> long would kill it...thanks for the help!
> Sue

I thinks it's probably OK if it was refrigerated the whole time.
But if you are really concerned, cook the meat (stirfrying might be
interesting) instead of drying it into jerky.

Bob
zxcvbob

Sue D. wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 15:16:56 -0400, "Bob (this one)" >
> wrote:
>

>>Sue D. wrote:
>>

>>>Hi all, Monday i sliced a 3 1/2 lb roast to put
>>>in marinade for making jerky...planned to leave
>>>in it ziplock bag over night and start it on Tuesday...
>>>guess what I just found...talk about feeling dumb.
>>>The marinade had some lemon juice and rice wine
>>>vinegar in it but I doubt enough to save it. I am
>>>pretty sure it needs to be tossed, just thought I'd
>>>check here...doesn't smell awful, all I can smell is
>>>the marinade. Help???

>>Was it left out of the fridge? I don't understand the problem.
>>
>>If it was refrigerated, it should be fine. Particularly since it was
>>in an acidic environment.
>>
>>Pastorio

> No, it was in the fridge all the time...I just figured leaving it that
> long would kill it...thanks for the help!
> Sue

I thinks it's probably OK if it was refrigerated the whole time.
But if you are really concerned, cook the meat (stirfrying might be
interesting) instead of drying it into jerky.

Bob
Nancy Howells

In article >, Sue D.
> wrote:

> Hi all, Monday i sliced a 3 1/2 lb roast to put
> in marinade for making jerky...planned to leave
> in it ziplock bag over night and start it on Tuesday...
> guess what I just found...talk about feeling dumb.
> The marinade had some lemon juice and rice wine
> vinegar in it but I doubt enough to save it. I am
> pretty sure it needs to be tossed, just thought I'd
> check here...doesn't smell awful, all I can smell is
> the marinade. Help???
>
> Sue D

Where did you leave it? If it was in the fridge, it's still good,
though possibly really strong on the marinade, but if it wasn't in the
fridge, toss it, NOW.

--
Nancy Howells (don't forget to switch it, and replace the to send mail).
Nancy Howells

In article >, Sue D.
> wrote:

> Hi all, Monday i sliced a 3 1/2 lb roast to put
> in marinade for making jerky...planned to leave
> in it ziplock bag over night and start it on Tuesday...
> guess what I just found...talk about feeling dumb.
> The marinade had some lemon juice and rice wine
> vinegar in it but I doubt enough to save it. I am
> pretty sure it needs to be tossed, just thought I'd
> check here...doesn't smell awful, all I can smell is
> the marinade. Help???
>
> Sue D

Where did you leave it? If it was in the fridge, it's still good,
though possibly really strong on the marinade, but if it wasn't in the
fridge, toss it, NOW.

--
Nancy Howells (don't forget to switch it, and replace the to send mail).
Nancy Young

zxcvbob wrote:

> I thinks it's probably OK if it was refrigerated the whole time.
> But if you are really concerned, cook the meat (stirfrying might be
> interesting) instead of drying it into jerky.

I'm sure it's fine to eat, but I think you'll be disappointed in the
texture. Who knows.

nancy

Nancy Young

zxcvbob wrote:

> I thinks it's probably OK if it was refrigerated the whole time.
> But if you are really concerned, cook the meat (stirfrying might be
> interesting) instead of drying it into jerky.

I'm sure it's fine to eat, but I think you'll be disappointed in the
texture. Who knows.

nancy
Sue D.

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 20:28:11 GMT, Nancy Howells
> wrote:

>In article >, Sue D.
> wrote:
>
>> Hi all, Monday i sliced a 3 1/2 lb roast to put
>> in marinade for making jerky...planned to leave
>> in it ziplock bag over night and start it on Tuesday...
>> guess what I just found...talk about feeling dumb.
>> The marinade had some lemon juice and rice wine
>> vinegar in it but I doubt enough to save it. I am
>> pretty sure it needs to be tossed, just thought I'd
>> check here...doesn't smell awful, all I can smell is
>> the marinade. Help???
>>
>> Sue D

>Where did you leave it? If it was in the fridge, it's still good,
>though possibly really strong on the marinade, but if it wasn't in the
>fridge, toss it, NOW.

Thanks all, yes it was in the fridge...just finished toothpicking all
the strips of meat and hanging them from the top oven rack. Hope
it didn't make the meat too "un-jerky"
We will see.
Thanks again,
Sue
Sue D.

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 20:28:11 GMT, Nancy Howells
> wrote:

>In article >, Sue D.
> wrote:
>
>> Hi all, Monday i sliced a 3 1/2 lb roast to put
>> in marinade for making jerky...planned to leave
>> in it ziplock bag over night and start it on Tuesday...
>> guess what I just found...talk about feeling dumb.
>> The marinade had some lemon juice and rice wine
>> vinegar in it but I doubt enough to save it. I am
>> pretty sure it needs to be tossed, just thought I'd
>> check here...doesn't smell awful, all I can smell is
>> the marinade. Help???
>>
>> Sue D

>Where did you leave it? If it was in the fridge, it's still good,
>though possibly really strong on the marinade, but if it wasn't in the
>fridge, toss it, NOW.

Thanks all, yes it was in the fridge...just finished toothpicking all
the strips of meat and hanging them from the top oven rack. Hope
it didn't make the meat too "un-jerky"
We will see.
Thanks again,
Sue
sf

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 20:57:17 GMT, Sue D.
> wrote:

> Thanks all, yes it was in the fridge...just finished toothpicking all
> the strips of meat and hanging them from the top oven rack. Hope
> it didn't make the meat too "un-jerky"
> We will see.

Have you used that marinade with jerky before?
It doesn't sound right for beef (to me).

sf

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 20:57:17 GMT, Sue D.
> wrote:

> Thanks all, yes it was in the fridge...just finished toothpicking all
> the strips of meat and hanging them from the top oven rack. Hope
> it didn't make the meat too "un-jerky"
> We will see.

Have you used that marinade with jerky before?
It doesn't sound right for beef (to me).

Katra

In article >,
Sue D. > wrote:

> Hi all, Monday i sliced a 3 1/2 lb roast to put
> in marinade for making jerky...planned to leave
> in it ziplock bag over night and start it on Tuesday...
> guess what I just found...talk about feeling dumb.
> The marinade had some lemon juice and rice wine
> vinegar in it but I doubt enough to save it. I am
> pretty sure it needs to be tossed, just thought I'd
> check here...doesn't smell awful, all I can smell is
> the marinade. Help???
>
> Sue D.

If you refrigerated it at a good, cold temp., it should be okay.
I've marinated jerky for up to 5 days..... as long as it's nice and lean.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Katra

In article >,
Nancy Young > wrote:

> zxcvbob wrote:
>
> > I thinks it's probably OK if it was refrigerated the whole time.
> > But if you are really concerned, cook the meat (stirfrying might be
> > interesting) instead of drying it into jerky.

> I'm sure it's fine to eat, but I think you'll be disappointed in the
> texture. Who knows.
>
> nancy

No, I've found that longer marinades result in more tender jerky.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Katra

In article >,
Nancy Young > wrote:

> zxcvbob wrote:
>
> > I thinks it's probably OK if it was refrigerated the whole time.
> > But if you are really concerned, cook the meat (stirfrying might be
> > interesting) instead of drying it into jerky.

> I'm sure it's fine to eat, but I think you'll be disappointed in the
> texture. Who knows.
>
> nancy

No, I've found that longer marinades result in more tender jerky.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Katra

In article >,
Nancy Young > wrote:

> zxcvbob wrote:
>
> > I thinks it's probably OK if it was refrigerated the whole time.
> > But if you are really concerned, cook the meat (stirfrying might be
> > interesting) instead of drying it into jerky.

> I'm sure it's fine to eat, but I think you'll be disappointed in the
> texture. Who knows.
>
> nancy

No, I've found that longer marinades result in more tender jerky.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Steve Calvin

Default How'd it turn out? Was: I messed up :(

Did it turn out ok?

--
Steve

Sue D.

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 02:02:26 GMT, sf > wrote:

>On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 20:57:17 GMT, Sue D.
> wrote:
>
>> Thanks all, yes it was in the fridge...just finished toothpicking all
>> the strips of meat and hanging them from the top oven rack. Hope
>> it didn't make the meat too "un-jerky"
>> We will see.

>Have you used that marinade with jerky before?
>It doesn't sound right for beef (to me).
>

>Practice safe eating - always use condiments

Oh that's not all that was in it...just added lemon juice and a little
rice vinegar for tenderizing...had soy sauce, liquid smoke, some
teryaki sauce and other stuff also...yeah I agree lemon juice and
rice wine vinegar by themselves would be pretty bad

Sue
Sue D.

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 02:02:26 GMT, sf > wrote:

>On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 20:57:17 GMT, Sue D.
> wrote:
>
>> Thanks all, yes it was in the fridge...just finished toothpicking all
>> the strips of meat and hanging them from the top oven rack. Hope
>> it didn't make the meat too "un-jerky"
>> We will see.

>Have you used that marinade with jerky before?
>It doesn't sound right for beef (to me).
>

>Practice safe eating - always use condiments

Oh that's not all that was in it...just added lemon juice and a little
rice vinegar for tenderizing...had soy sauce, liquid smoke, some
teryaki sauce and other stuff also...yeah I agree lemon juice and
rice wine vinegar by themselves would be pretty bad

Sue
Sue D.

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 09:15:05 -0400, Steve Calvin
> wrote:

>Did it turn out ok?

Yup it turned out pretty good! I think I won't make that
mistake again tho, texture wasn't the best. Kind of not
as chewy as jerky normally is.

Sue
Sue D.