Old 15-12-2003, 09:43 AM
Niall Smyth

Default Care of Knives?

Hi all

I have steel knives ( who doesnt)

I try to wash them by hand when I can
but the wife keeps putting them in the dishwasher
where they dont dry properly and get rust spots

Can they be oiled? , If I use steel wool
will it just get worse?

Cheers

Niall

---

Old 15-12-2003, 11:36 AM
Diane Epps

"Niall Smyth" wrote in message
Hi all

I have steel knives ( who doesnt)

I try to wash them by hand when I can
but the wife keeps putting them in the dishwasher
where they dont dry properly and get rust spots

Can they be oiled? , If I use steel wool
will it just get worse?

Cheers

Niall

I use wire wool and oil on my knives and then give them a good sharpen and

they are fine.

---

Old 15-12-2003, 12:55 PM
Chris

"Niall Smyth" wrote in message
Hi all

I have steel knives ( who doesnt)

I try to wash them by hand when I can
but the wife keeps putting them in the dishwasher
where they dont dry properly and get rust spots

Can they be oiled? , If I use steel wool
will it just get worse?

Yes they can be oiled. You might try vinnegar or lemon juice on a rag to
try and remove some of the rust. Check out the NG rec.knives for more
specific knife care issues.

I tend to just wash them by hand myself. Luckily no dishwashing mashine.
;-)

Old 15-12-2003, 02:48 PM
Steve Calvin

Chris wrote:

"Niall Smyth" wrote in message

Hi all

I have steel knives ( who doesnt)

I try to wash them by hand when I can
but the wife keeps putting them in the dishwasher
where they dont dry properly and get rust spots

Can they be oiled? , If I use steel wool
will it just get worse?

Yes they can be oiled. You might try vinnegar or lemon juice on a rag to
try and remove some of the rust. Check out the NG rec.knives for more
specific knife care issues.

I tend to just wash them by hand myself. Luckily no dishwashing mashine.
;-)

Good advice from Chris. And what part of "the good knives do *not* go
into the dishwasher" does your wife not understand?? Not like it's
brain surgery.

Old 15-12-2003, 07:32 PM
Vince Poroke

Steve Calvin wrote in message ...
Chris wrote:

"Niall Smyth" wrote in message

Hi all

I have steel knives ( who doesnt)

I try to wash them by hand when I can
but the wife keeps putting them in the dishwasher
where they dont dry properly and get rust spots

Can they be oiled? , If I use steel wool
will it just get worse?

Yes they can be oiled. You might try vinnegar or lemon juice on a rag to
try and remove some of the rust. Check out the NG rec.knives for more
specific knife care issues.

I tend to just wash them by hand myself. Luckily no dishwashing mashine.
;-)

Good advice from Chris. And what part of "the good knives do *not* go
into the dishwasher" does your wife not understand?? Not like it's
brain surgery.

Use coke, the drink not the good stuff, on the rust. In my house hold
I cook and everyone else does dishes. It doesn't matter how many time
you tell people not to do something they will. Mine was "don't use
soap in this pan and don't put wood in to the dishwasher and don't
even touch that cast iron". I now wash all non soap pans and cast
iron and wood and knives. I take no chances.

Old 16-12-2003, 07:05 AM
Lorne Epp

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 09:43:57 -0000, "Niall Smyth"
wrote:

I try to wash them by hand when I can
but the wife keeps putting them in the dishwasher
where they dont dry properly and get rust spots

I wash mine a put them away immediately after using them, so nobody
could even be tempted to put them in the dishwasher. I mean
IMMEDIATELY after use - it takes about ten seconds, and you don't even
need detergent.
Old 16-12-2003, 02:07 PM
zxcvbob

Steve Calvin wrote:

Good advice from Chris. And what part of "the good knives do *not* go
into the dishwasher" does your wife not understand?? Not like it's
brain surgery.

Spouses don't understand the concept of "do not."

Best regards,
Bob

Old 16-12-2003, 02:17 PM
Taffy Stoker

wrote:

I try to wash them by hand when I can
but the wife keeps putting them in the dishwasher
where they dont dry properly and get rust spots

I wash mine a put them away immediately after using them, so nobody
could even be tempted to put them in the dishwasher. I mean
IMMEDIATELY after use - it takes about ten seconds, and you don't even
need detergent.

Just give them a good wipe with a damp cloth and that is all they
need.

Old 16-12-2003, 02:39 PM
Steve Calvin

zxcvbob wrote:
Steve Calvin wrote:

Good advice from Chris. And what part of "the good knives do *not* go
into the dishwasher" does your wife not understand?? Not like it's
brain surgery.

Spouses don't understand the concept of "do not."

Best regards,
Bob

I musta been lucky and got one of the "good" models. ;-) It only took
one time of telling her that my good knives under no circumstances went
into the dishwasher. That they got washed and dried immediately.

Old 16-12-2003, 04:07 PM
PENMART01

Taffy Pigsty Stoker writes:

Lorne Epp wrote:
"Niall Smyth" wrote:

I try to wash them by hand when I can
but the wife keeps putting them in the dishwasher
where they dont dry properly and get rust spots

I wash mine a put them away immediately after using them, so nobody
could even be tempted to put them in the dishwasher. I mean
IMMEDIATELY after use - it takes about ten seconds, and you don't even
need detergent.

Just give them a good wipe with a damp cloth and that is all they
need.

Probably how yoose clean your crotch. Yeah, I know... folks actually cut up
raw meat and then give the knife and board a wipe with a filthy sponge, then
dry their hands on their clothes... save us from these idjits.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Old 16-12-2003, 09:15 PM
Bob Pastorio

wrote:

I try to wash them by hand when I can
but the wife keeps putting them in the dishwasher
where they dont dry properly and get rust spots

I wash mine a put them away immediately after using them, so nobody
could even be tempted to put them in the dishwasher. I mean
IMMEDIATELY after use - it takes about ten seconds, and you don't even
need detergent.

Just give them a good wipe with a damp cloth and that is all they
need.

I keep my most-used knives in a wooden block. Before putting my knives
into the block, I oiled it with mineral oil, even down into the slots
for the knives. I wipe with a damp cloth (and even scour with a
scratchy plastic sponge when necessary), wipe dryish and put into the
block. No rust, no staining. Touch up the edge with a ceramic "steel"
and sharpen on a diamond "steel" about once a month.

Pastorio

Old 16-12-2003, 09:46 PM
Mike Pearce

"Bob Pastorio" wrote in message ...

I keep my most-used knives in a wooden block. Before putting my knives
into the block, I oiled it with mineral oil, even down into the slots
for the knives. I wipe with a damp cloth (and even scour with a
scratchy plastic sponge when necessary), wipe dryish and put into the
block.

This is at least the second post I've seen in this thread where someone said
that they wipe their knives with a damp cloth before putting them away. Are
you saying you don't wash is with soap and hot water or is the wiping in
addition to that?

-Mike

Old 16-12-2003, 11:17 PM
robert

I try to wash them by hand when I can
but the wife keeps putting them in the dishwasher
where they dont dry properly and get rust spots

I wash mine a put them away immediately after using them, so nobody
could even be tempted to put them in the dishwasher. I mean
IMMEDIATELY after use - it takes about ten seconds, and you don't even
need detergent.

Just give them a good wipe with a damp cloth and that is all they
need.

Try explaining that putting them in a dishwasher allows them to 'bang
against' other things in the dishwasher. This causes small 'dings' on the
knives that would have to be steeled off. It will dull the knives. If your
knives are not the best quality, it may cause the handles to separate from
the blade, over time.

Best bet is to wash them yourself.

Old 16-12-2003, 11:47 PM
PENMART01

In article [email protected], "Mike Pearce"
writes:

I keep my most-used knives in a wooden block. Before putting my knives
into the block, I oiled it with mineral oil, even down into the slots
for the knives. I wipe with a damp cloth (and even scour with a
scratchy plastic sponge when necessary), wipe dryish and put into the
block.

This is at least the second post I've seen in this thread where someone said
that they wipe their knives with a damp cloth before putting them away. Are
you saying you don't wash is with soap and hot water or is the wiping in
addition to that?

If all one slices is white bread there's nothing more to do with cleaning a
knife.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon

For those who care one way or t'other Jerry Avins General Cooking 0 05-07-2011 09:12 PM
do you care? Ophelia[_7_] General Cooking 17 09-09-2010 06:46 PM
do you care? Daestin M General Cooking 1 04-09-2010 09:46 AM
Obama's Top Five Health Care Lies from Forbes :: Rep Joe Wilsonwas correct, Obama is a liar about health care! martin General Cooking 39 08-10-2009 12:03 AM
Take care EwwHww Diabetic 2 05-05-2005 04:24 PM