Niall Smyth

Default Care of Knives?

Hi all

I have steel knives ( who doesnt)

I try to wash them by hand when I can
but the wife keeps putting them in the dishwasher
where they dont dry properly and get rust spots

Can they be oiled? , If I use steel wool
will it just get worse?

Cheers

Niall

---

Diane Epps

"Niall Smyth" > wrote in message
> Hi all
>
> I have steel knives ( who doesnt)
>
> I try to wash them by hand when I can
> but the wife keeps putting them in the dishwasher
> where they dont dry properly and get rust spots
>
> Can they be oiled? , If I use steel wool
> will it just get worse?
>
> Cheers
>
> Niall
>

>I use wire wool and oil on my knives and then give them a good sharpen and

they are fine.

> ---

Chris

"Niall Smyth" > wrote in message
> Hi all
>
> I have steel knives ( who doesnt)
>
> I try to wash them by hand when I can
> but the wife keeps putting them in the dishwasher
> where they dont dry properly and get rust spots
>
> Can they be oiled? , If I use steel wool
> will it just get worse?

Yes they can be oiled. You might try vinnegar or lemon juice on a rag to
try and remove some of the rust. Check out the NG rec.knives for more
specific knife care issues.

I tend to just wash them by hand myself. Luckily no dishwashing mashine.
;-)

Steve Calvin

Chris wrote:

> "Niall Smyth" > wrote in message
>
>>Hi all
>>
>>I have steel knives ( who doesnt)
>>
>>I try to wash them by hand when I can
>>but the wife keeps putting them in the dishwasher
>>where they dont dry properly and get rust spots
>>
>>Can they be oiled? , If I use steel wool
>>will it just get worse?

> Yes they can be oiled. You might try vinnegar or lemon juice on a rag to
> try and remove some of the rust. Check out the NG rec.knives for more
> specific knife care issues.
>
> I tend to just wash them by hand myself. Luckily no dishwashing mashine.
> ;-)

Good advice from Chris. And what part of "the good knives do *not* go
into the dishwasher" does your wife not understand?? Not like it's
brain surgery.

Vince Poroke

Steve Calvin > wrote in message >...
> Chris wrote:
>
> > "Niall Smyth" > wrote in message
> >
> >>Hi all
> >>
> >>I have steel knives ( who doesnt)
> >>
> >>I try to wash them by hand when I can
> >>but the wife keeps putting them in the dishwasher
> >>where they dont dry properly and get rust spots
> >>
> >>Can they be oiled? , If I use steel wool
> >>will it just get worse?

> > Yes they can be oiled. You might try vinnegar or lemon juice on a rag to
> > try and remove some of the rust. Check out the NG rec.knives for more
> > specific knife care issues.
> >
> > I tend to just wash them by hand myself. Luckily no dishwashing mashine.
> > ;-)
> >

> Good advice from Chris. And what part of "the good knives do *not* go
> into the dishwasher" does your wife not understand?? Not like it's
> brain surgery.

Use coke, the drink not the good stuff, on the rust. In my house hold
I cook and everyone else does dishes. It doesn't matter how many time
you tell people not to do something they will. Mine was "don't use
soap in this pan and don't put wood in to the dishwasher and don't
even touch that cast iron". I now wash all non soap pans and cast
iron and wood and knives. I take no chances.

Vince Poroke

Steve Calvin > wrote in message >...
> Chris wrote:
>
> > "Niall Smyth" > wrote in message
> >
> >>Hi all
> >>
> >>I have steel knives ( who doesnt)
> >>
> >>I try to wash them by hand when I can
> >>but the wife keeps putting them in the dishwasher
> >>where they dont dry properly and get rust spots
> >>
> >>Can they be oiled? , If I use steel wool
> >>will it just get worse?

> > Yes they can be oiled. You might try vinnegar or lemon juice on a rag to
> > try and remove some of the rust. Check out the NG rec.knives for more
> > specific knife care issues.
> >
> > I tend to just wash them by hand myself. Luckily no dishwashing mashine.
> > ;-)
> >

> Good advice from Chris. And what part of "the good knives do *not* go
> into the dishwasher" does your wife not understand?? Not like it's
> brain surgery.

Use coke, the drink not the good stuff, on the rust. In my house hold
I cook and everyone else does dishes. It doesn't matter how many time
you tell people not to do something they will. Mine was "don't use
soap in this pan and don't put wood in to the dishwasher and don't
even touch that cast iron". I now wash all non soap pans and cast
iron and wood and knives. I take no chances.
Lorne Epp

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 09:43:57 -0000, "Niall Smyth"
> wrote:

>I try to wash them by hand when I can
>but the wife keeps putting them in the dishwasher
>where they dont dry properly and get rust spots

I wash mine a put them away immediately after using them, so nobody
could even be tempted to put them in the dishwasher. I mean
IMMEDIATELY after use - it takes about ten seconds, and you don't even
need detergent.
zxcvbob

Steve Calvin wrote:

> Good advice from Chris. And what part of "the good knives do *not* go
> into the dishwasher" does your wife not understand?? Not like it's
> brain surgery.

Spouses don't understand the concept of "do not."

Best regards,
Bob

Taffy Stoker

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 07:05:11 GMT, Lorne Epp >
wrote:

>On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 09:43:57 -0000, "Niall Smyth"
> wrote:
>
>>I try to wash them by hand when I can
>>but the wife keeps putting them in the dishwasher
>>where they dont dry properly and get rust spots

>I wash mine a put them away immediately after using them, so nobody
>could even be tempted to put them in the dishwasher. I mean
>IMMEDIATELY after use - it takes about ten seconds, and you don't even
>need detergent.

Just give them a good wipe with a damp cloth and that is all they
need.

Steve Calvin

zxcvbob wrote:
> Steve Calvin wrote:
>

>> Good advice from Chris. And what part of "the good knives do *not* go
>> into the dishwasher" does your wife not understand?? Not like it's
>> brain surgery.
>>

> Spouses don't understand the concept of "do not."
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

I musta been lucky and got one of the "good" models. ;-) It only took
one time of telling her that my good knives under no circumstances went
into the dishwasher. That they got washed and dried immediately.

PENMART01

Taffy Pigsty Stoker writes:

>Lorne Epp wrote:
>>"Niall Smyth" wrote:
>>
>>>I try to wash them by hand when I can
>>>but the wife keeps putting them in the dishwasher
>>>where they dont dry properly and get rust spots

>>I wash mine a put them away immediately after using them, so nobody
>>could even be tempted to put them in the dishwasher. I mean
>>IMMEDIATELY after use - it takes about ten seconds, and you don't even
>>need detergent.

>Just give them a good wipe with a damp cloth and that is all they
>need.

Probably how yoose clean your crotch. Yeah, I know... folks actually cut up
raw meat and then give the knife and board a wipe with a filthy sponge, then
dry their hands on their clothes... save us from these idjits.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Bob Pastorio

Taffy Stoker wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 07:05:11 GMT, Lorne Epp >
> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 09:43:57 -0000, "Niall Smyth"
> wrote:
>>
>>>I try to wash them by hand when I can
>>>but the wife keeps putting them in the dishwasher
>>>where they dont dry properly and get rust spots

>>I wash mine a put them away immediately after using them, so nobody
>>could even be tempted to put them in the dishwasher. I mean
>>IMMEDIATELY after use - it takes about ten seconds, and you don't even
>>need detergent.

> Just give them a good wipe with a damp cloth and that is all they
> need.

I keep my most-used knives in a wooden block. Before putting my knives
into the block, I oiled it with mineral oil, even down into the slots
for the knives. I wipe with a damp cloth (and even scour with a
scratchy plastic sponge when necessary), wipe dryish and put into the
block. No rust, no staining. Touch up the edge with a ceramic "steel"
and sharpen on a diamond "steel" about once a month.

Pastorio

Mike Pearce

"Bob Pastorio" wrote in message ...

> I keep my most-used knives in a wooden block. Before putting my knives
> into the block, I oiled it with mineral oil, even down into the slots
> for the knives. I wipe with a damp cloth (and even scour with a
> scratchy plastic sponge when necessary), wipe dryish and put into the
> block.

This is at least the second post I've seen in this thread where someone said
that they wipe their knives with a damp cloth before putting them away. Are
you saying you don't wash is with soap and hot water or is the wiping in
addition to that?

-Mike

robert

> >>I try to wash them by hand when I can
> >>but the wife keeps putting them in the dishwasher
> >>where they dont dry properly and get rust spots

> >I wash mine a put them away immediately after using them, so nobody
> >could even be tempted to put them in the dishwasher. I mean
> >IMMEDIATELY after use - it takes about ten seconds, and you don't even
> >need detergent.

> Just give them a good wipe with a damp cloth and that is all they
> need.

Try explaining that putting them in a dishwasher allows them to 'bang
against' other things in the dishwasher. This causes small 'dings' on the
knives that would have to be steeled off. It will dull the knives. If your
knives are not the best quality, it may cause the handles to separate from
the blade, over time.

Best bet is to wash them yourself.

PENMART01

In article <L4LDb.5534$JD6.3482@lakeread04>, "Mike Pearce"
> writes:

>> I keep my most-used knives in a wooden block. Before putting my knives
>> into the block, I oiled it with mineral oil, even down into the slots
>> for the knives. I wipe with a damp cloth (and even scour with a
>> scratchy plastic sponge when necessary), wipe dryish and put into the
>> block.

>This is at least the second post I've seen in this thread where someone said
>that they wipe their knives with a damp cloth before putting them away. Are
>you saying you don't wash is with soap and hot water or is the wiping in
>addition to that?

If all one slices is white bread there's nothing more to do with cleaning a
knife.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Bob Pastorio

Mike Pearce wrote:

> "Bob Pastorio" wrote in message ...
>
>>I keep my most-used knives in a wooden block. Before putting my knives
>>into the block, I oiled it with mineral oil, even down into the slots
>>for the knives. I wipe with a damp cloth (and even scour with a
>>scratchy plastic sponge when necessary), wipe dryish and put into the
>>block.

> This is at least the second post I've seen in this thread where someone said
> that they wipe their knives with a damp cloth before putting them away. Are
> you saying you don't wash it with soap and hot water or is the wiping in
> addition to that?

I use detergent on a damp cloth or damp sponge. Hot water (125F). Wipe
dry. Put into knife block.

Never put a knife into a sink full of water because you can't see it
clearly. Never in a dishwasher.

Pastorio

zxcvbob

robert wrote:

>>>I wash mine a put them away immediately after using them, so nobody
>>>could even be tempted to put them in the dishwasher. I mean
>>>IMMEDIATELY after use - it takes about ten seconds, and you don't even
>>>need detergent.

>>Just give them a good wipe with a damp cloth and that is all they
>>need.
>>

> Try explaining that putting them in a dishwasher allows them to 'bang
> against' other things in the dishwasher. This causes small 'dings' on the
> knives that would have to be steeled off. It will dull the knives. If your
> knives are not the best quality, it may cause the handles to separate from
> the blade, over time.
>
> Best bet is to wash them yourself.

The problem is that sometimes, Spouse will use one of the good knives,
stick it in the dishwasher, and run it through the Potscrubber™ cycle; all
in about 10 minutes when no one else is looking.

That's one reason I have plastic handles on all but one of my good knives,
but I still don't like them going in the dishwasher.

Bob

Katra

Mike Pearce wrote:

> "Bob Pastorio" wrote in message ...
>
> > I keep my most-used knives in a wooden block. Before putting my knives
> > into the block, I oiled it with mineral oil, even down into the slots
> > for the knives. I wipe with a damp cloth (and even scour with a
> > scratchy plastic sponge when necessary), wipe dryish and put into the
> > block.

> This is at least the second post I've seen in this thread where someone said
> that they wipe their knives with a damp cloth before putting them away. Are
> you saying you don't wash is with soap and hot water or is the wiping in
> addition to that?
>
> -Mike

For me, it depends on what I've been cutting... :-)

If I have just been chopping veggies, then wiping is really sufficient.
If I've been cutting meet or cheese, I give them a quick wipe with the
scrubbie I keep in my hot, soapy sink water. Then I dry them and put
them away.

I don't leave knives out either. They are cleaned and immediately put
back into the knife drawer. It just takes a few seconds!

K.

--
>^,,^< Cats-haven Hobby Farm >^,,^< >^,,^<

"There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are
all owned by cats" -- Asimov

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...s&userid=Katra
Taffy Stoker

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 00:27:19 -0600, Katra >
wrote:

>Mike Pearce wrote:
>>
>> "Bob Pastorio" wrote in message ...
>>
>> > I keep my most-used knives in a wooden block. Before putting my knives
>> > into the block, I oiled it with mineral oil, even down into the slots
>> > for the knives. I wipe with a damp cloth (and even scour with a
>> > scratchy plastic sponge when necessary), wipe dryish and put into the
>> > block.

>> This is at least the second post I've seen in this thread where someone said
>> that they wipe their knives with a damp cloth before putting them away. Are
>> you saying you don't wash is with soap and hot water or is the wiping in
>> addition to that?
>>
>> -Mike

>For me, it depends on what I've been cutting... :-)

For me it depends on what type of a mood I am in while cooking.

Immediately after I use my knife I will run it under hot water, wipe
it, run it under the hot water again and then wipe it dry and put it
away.

If I haven't done that while cooking then it will be the first thing
washed in the hot soapy water when I handwash a load of dishes (no
dishwasher at my house) and immediately dried and put away.
Katra

Taffy Stoker wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 00:27:19 -0600, Katra >
> wrote:
>

> >Mike Pearce wrote:

> >> This is at least the second post I've seen in this thread where someone said
> >> that they wipe their knives with a damp cloth before putting them away. Are
> >> you saying you don't wash is with soap and hot water or is the wiping in
> >> addition to that?
> >>
> >> -Mike

> >For me, it depends on what I've been cutting... :-)

> For me it depends on what type of a mood I am in while cooking.

<grins>

> Immediately after I use my knife I will run it under hot water, wipe
> it, run it under the hot water again and then wipe it dry and put it
> away.
>
> If I haven't done that while cooking then it will be the first thing
> washed in the hot soapy water when I handwash a load of dishes (no
> dishwasher at my house) and immediately dried and put away.

I have a dishwasher...
It's called "me". ;-D

K.

--
>^,,^< Cats-haven Hobby Farm >^,,^< >^,,^<

"There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are
all owned by cats" -- Asimov

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...s&userid=Katra

blake murphy

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 09:48:17 -0500, Steve Calvin >>

>Good advice from Chris. And what part of "the good knives do *not* go
>into the dishwasher" does your wife not understand?? Not like it's
>brain surgery.

i tried to impress this on my girlfriend. i believe she called me a
'kitchen nazi,' although i'm a complete slob in most other respects.

your pal,
blake
blake murphy

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 08:07:47 -0600, zxcvbob >
wrote:

>Steve Calvin wrote:
>>
>> Good advice from Chris. And what part of "the good knives do *not* go
>> into the dishwasher" does your wife not understand?? Not like it's
>> brain surgery.
>>

>Spouses don't understand the concept of "do not."
>
>Best regards,
>Bob

or either they understand it entirely too well.

your pal,
blake

For those who care one way or t'other Jerry Avins General Cooking 0 05-07-2011 09:12 PM
do you care? Ophelia[_7_] General Cooking 17 09-09-2010 06:46 PM
do you care? Daestin M General Cooking 1 04-09-2010 09:46 AM
Obama's Top Five Health Care Lies from Forbes :: Rep Joe Wilsonwas correct, Obama is a liar about health care! martin General Cooking 39 08-10-2009 12:03 AM
Take care EwwHww Diabetic 2 05-05-2005 04:24 PM