Jean B.

Default REQ: Pennant Maple Syrup Fudge

On another group, a gentleman is looking for a fudge recipe. He
wrote: "Back in the 50s I used to make fudge with a recipe that
came attached to Pennant maple syrup. It was probably the best
homemade fudge that i ever had." Does anyone happen to have this
recipe? Thanks.
--
Jean B.
BOB

Default Pennant Maple Syrup Fudge

Jean B. typed:
> On another group, a gentleman is looking for a fudge recipe. He
> wrote: "Back in the 50s I used to make fudge with a recipe that
> came attached to Pennant maple syrup. It was probably the best
> homemade fudge that i ever had." Does anyone happen to have this
> recipe? Thanks.
> --
> Jean B.

Best I could find was this...
http://www.recipegoldmine.com/candyf...yfudge267.html

Doesn't sound like a "fudge" to me, but what do I know.
It does sound good (and extremely sweet) though.

BOB

Jean B.

BOB wrote:

> Jean B. typed:
> > On another group, a gentleman is looking for a fudge recipe. He
> > wrote: "Back in the 50s I used to make fudge with a recipe that
> > came attached to Pennant maple syrup. It was probably the best
> > homemade fudge that i ever had." Does anyone happen to have this
> > recipe? Thanks.
> > --
> > Jean B.

> Best I could find was this...
> http://www.recipegoldmine.com/candyf...yfudge267.html
>
> Doesn't sound like a "fudge" to me, but what do I know.
> It does sound good (and extremely sweet) though.
>
> BOB

Thanks, Bob. I missed this response. I think that recipe must be
lost in the sands of time.
--
Jean B.
Nancy Dooley

" BOB" > wrote in message >.. .
> Jean B. typed:
> > On another group, a gentleman is looking for a fudge recipe. He
> > wrote: "Back in the 50s I used to make fudge with a recipe that
> > came attached to Pennant maple syrup. It was probably the best
> > homemade fudge that i ever had." Does anyone happen to have this
> > recipe? Thanks.
> > --
> > Jean B.

> Best I could find was this...
> http://www.recipegoldmine.com/candyf...yfudge267.html
>
> Doesn't sound like a "fudge" to me, but what do I know.
> It does sound good (and extremely sweet) though.
>
> BOB

Here's one from my collection. It is almost exactly the same as my
old-fashioned chocolate fudge recipe (cook to 234, cool to 110, beat
the heck out of it):

MAPLE SYRUP FUDGE

2 c Maple syrup
1 tb Light corn syrup
3/4 c Light cream
1 tsp Vanilla
1/2 c Walnuts or pecans, chopped (optional)

Generously butter the sides of a heavy 2-quart saucepan. Combine
maple syrup, corn syrup and cream the pan and place over low heat.
Stir constantly until mixture begins to boil, continue cooking,
stirring occasionally, to the soft ball stage (234 F.). Remove from
heat; drop in 1 T. butter, and let cool to lukewarm (110 F.) without
stirring or beating. (It's very important not to disturb the mixture
while it's cooling.) Beat by hand until candy loses its gloss and
thickens. Stir in vanilla and nuts and pour into a lightly buttered
8" square pan. When slightly set, score into 16 pieces with a knife.
Cut when set. Makes about 1 pound.

N.
Jean B.

Nancy Dooley wrote:

> " BOB" > wrote in message >.. .
> > Jean B. typed:
> > > On another group, a gentleman is looking for a fudge recipe. He
> > > wrote: "Back in the 50s I used to make fudge with a recipe that
> > > came attached to Pennant maple syrup. It was probably the best
> > > homemade fudge that i ever had." Does anyone happen to have this
> > > recipe? Thanks.
> > > --
> > > Jean B.

> > Best I could find was this...
> > http://www.recipegoldmine.com/candyf...yfudge267.html
> >
> > Doesn't sound like a "fudge" to me, but what do I know.
> > It does sound good (and extremely sweet) though.
> >
> > BOB

> Here's one from my collection. It is almost exactly the same as my
> old-fashioned chocolate fudge recipe (cook to 234, cool to 110, beat
> the heck out of it):
>
> MAPLE SYRUP FUDGE
>
> 2 c Maple syrup
> 1 tb Light corn syrup
> 3/4 c Light cream
> 1 tsp Vanilla
> 1/2 c Walnuts or pecans, chopped (optional)
>
> Generously butter the sides of a heavy 2-quart saucepan. Combine
> maple syrup, corn syrup and cream the pan and place over low heat.
> Stir constantly until mixture begins to boil, continue cooking,
> stirring occasionally, to the soft ball stage (234 F.). Remove from
> heat; drop in 1 T. butter, and let cool to lukewarm (110 F.) without
> stirring or beating. (It's very important not to disturb the mixture
> while it's cooling.) Beat by hand until candy loses its gloss and
> thickens. Stir in vanilla and nuts and pour into a lightly buttered
> 8" square pan. When slightly set, score into 16 pieces with a knife.
> Cut when set. Makes about 1 pound.
>
> N.

Thanks, Nancy. Sure wish I knew where the specific recipe is!
--
Jean B.

Scott

Is there such a thing as a less-sweet maple syrup fudge, or is that
inherently contradictory?
I tried it once or twice, and it was so sweet my teeth ached; I wondered
if there was a recipe that balanced the sweetness with something else.

please mail OT responses only
Kate Connally

Scott wrote:

> Is there such a thing as a less-sweet maple syrup fudge, or is that
> inherently contradictory?
> I tried it once or twice, and it was so sweet my teeth ached; I wondered
> if there was a recipe that balanced the sweetness with something else.
>
> --
> to respond, change "spamless.invalid" with "optonline.net"
> please mail OT responses only

I don't know if there are different ways people make
maple fudge other than with butter and cream but the
ones I've eaten that are made that way are not as
overly sweet as maple candy. Maybe what you had was
maple candy which is just highly reduce maple syrup
that crystalizes into a candy that has a somewhat
fudge-like consistency - i.e. not a hard candy like
a lollipop. I guess if one made maple fudge with
using butter it might be sweeter tasting. But that
would be sacrilege. ;-)

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Member

I'm new and got here searching for Pennant maple flavored syrup. Over the holidays I got to taste a pecan pie made from it, and I know what Bob is talking about. My relatives tell me the syrup is the key to the special taste. I don't know the fudge recipe, but I can tell you where they get the syrup, which may give Bob the clue he is looking for, and maybe an excuse for a nice road trip.

There is a grocery store in Williams, IN (IGA I think) that sells it. (It is a tiny town, you'll be able to find the store if you can find the town.) The area has pretty rolling hills and limestone bluffs. In the fall they have a persimmon festival with pudding galore.

Good luck in your quest.

Ray