Old 18-11-2003, 12:54 AM
Melanie

Default How to use a chafing dish

I am planning a buffet dinner for Thanksgiving. I have a warming tray
that will keep a couple of dishes warm. I would also like to use my
chafing dish for maybe the mashed potatoes, but I can't quite figure
out how to use it. The chafing dish is a round one, about 4 quart
capacity. It has an inner pan that fits into the outer pan, that in
turn can be heated with Sterno from below. The instructions say to
put water in outer pan, and food in the inner pan. When I tried that,
and lit the Sterno, the water produced steam that had no where to go.
It started hissing and gurgling and I chickened out. When I put the
food directly in the outer pan, it started to burn. What is the right
way to do this?

Old 18-11-2003, 01:07 AM
Jamie_Canuck

"Melanie" wrote in message
om...
I am planning a buffet dinner for Thanksgiving. I have a warming tray
that will keep a couple of dishes warm. I would also like to use my
chafing dish for maybe the mashed potatoes, but I can't quite figure
out how to use it. The chafing dish is a round one, about 4 quart
capacity. It has an inner pan that fits into the outer pan, that in
turn can be heated with Sterno from below. The instructions say to
put water in outer pan, and food in the inner pan. When I tried that,
and lit the Sterno, the water produced steam that had no where to go.
It started hissing and gurgling and I chickened out. When I put the
food directly in the outer pan, it started to burn. What is the right
way to do this?

Try to put the wick of the sterno back in the can a bit, so that the flame
isn't so high (the longer the wick the bigger the flame). Alternatively use
the sterno lid to half cover the flame, less flame = less heat. make sure
you use lots of water. God speed.

J.

Old 18-11-2003, 02:04 AM
[email protected]

Melanie wrote:
I am planning a buffet dinner for Thanksgiving. I have a warming tray
that will keep a couple of dishes warm. I would also like to use my
chafing dish for maybe the mashed potatoes, but I can't quite figure
out how to use it. The chafing dish is a round one, about 4 quart
capacity. It has an inner pan that fits into the outer pan, that in
turn can be heated with Sterno from below. The instructions say to
put water in outer pan, and food in the inner pan. When I tried that,
and lit the Sterno, the water produced steam that had no where to go.
It started hissing and gurgling and I chickened out. When I put the
food directly in the outer pan, it started to burn. What is the right
way to do this?

There's probably a misprint in the directions. The water goes
in the inner pan; the food in the outer.

Old 18-11-2003, 04:55 AM
Bob Pastorio

Melanie wrote:

I am planning a buffet dinner for Thanksgiving. I have a warming tray
that will keep a couple of dishes warm. I would also like to use my
chafing dish for maybe the mashed potatoes, but I can't quite figure
out how to use it. The chafing dish is a round one, about 4 quart
capacity. It has an inner pan that fits into the outer pan, that in
turn can be heated with Sterno from below. The instructions say to
put water in outer pan, and food in the inner pan. When I tried that,
and lit the Sterno, the water produced steam that had no where to go.
It started hissing and gurgling and I chickened out. When I put the
food directly in the outer pan, it started to burn. What is the right
way to do this?

Put water in the outer pan and food in the inner pan. Adjust the
Sterno flame lower than full on. If it's the old-style Sterno can with
the pry-off lid, put the lid back on partway after you light it. It
will damp down the flame a bit. If it's still too high, slide it more
closed until it's right. You'll have to use trial and error to get it
right.

Without knowing your particular chafer, I can't tell you how deep to
make the water, but it shouldn't be able to bubble out. If you start
with hot water, the food won't get cold while the water warms.

Pastorio

Old 19-11-2003, 03:46 PM
[email protected]

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

Oh, I don't think so, Stan. I interpret outer as the one closest to the
heat source -- the equivalent of the bottom part of a double boiler that
sits on the stove burner. The other way isn't going to work. I think
you should read it again.

Right.