Melba's Jammin'

Default How to use a chafing dish

In article >, wrote:

> Melanie > wrote:
> > I am planning a buffet dinner for Thanksgiving. I have a warming tray
> > that will keep a couple of dishes warm. I would also like to use my
> > chafing dish for maybe the mashed potatoes, but I can't quite figure
> > out how to use it. The chafing dish is a round one, about 4 quart
> > capacity. It has an inner pan that fits into the outer pan, that in
> > turn can be heated with Sterno from below. The instructions say to
> > put water in outer pan, and food in the inner pan. When I tried that,
> > and lit the Sterno, the water produced steam that had no where to go.
> > It started hissing and gurgling and I chickened out. When I put the
> > food directly in the outer pan, it started to burn. What is the right
> > way to do this?

> There's probably a misprint in the directions. The water goes
> in the inner pan; the food in the outer.

Oh, I don't think so, Stan. I interpret outer as the one closest to the
heat source -- the equivalent of the bottom part of a double boiler that
sits on the stove burner. The other way isn't going to work. I think
you should read it again.
--
-Barb
State Fair prizewinning jams and jellies for sale at the Burnsville