Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default chafing dish or whut?

I'm try to determine if there is something like a chafing dish (in that it
is used a fuel burner/candle-like underneath it to keep food warm), for
actually warming soups/dals or even braising onions,. In other words,
something that gets hot enough to boil or braise.

I find myself without electricity twice today; so it is a thought.
We have a small generator, but it is probably enough for only keeping the
furnace going, and the refrigerator running, but not both at the same time.

Lights flickering now --- oh, oh.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Dee Dovey" > wrote in message

> I'm try to determine if there is something like a chafing dish (in that it
> is used a fuel burner/candle-like underneath it to keep food warm), for
> actually warming soups/dals or even braising onions,. In other words,
> something that gets hot enough to boil or braise.
>
> I find myself without electricity twice today; so it is a thought.
> We have a small generator, but it is probably enough for only keeping the
> furnace going, and the refrigerator running, but not both at the same
> time.
>
> Lights flickering now --- oh, oh.

Dee, the answer to your generator load concerns can be found in old episodes
of Green Acres. I trust you a bit more mathematically inclined than Mrs.
Douglas.

how about a butane burner for such purposes? Or a propane grill?

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On 2/6/2010 5:50 PM, Dee Dovey wrote:
> I'm try to determine if there is something like a chafing dish (in that it
> is used a fuel burner/candle-like underneath it to keep food warm), for
> actually warming soups/dals or even braising onions,. In other words,
> something that gets hot enough to boil or braise.
>
> I find myself without electricity twice today; so it is a thought.
> We have a small generator, but it is probably enough for only keeping the
> furnace going, and the refrigerator running, but not both at the same time.
>
> Lights flickering now --- oh, oh.
> Dee Dee

Perhaps a fondue pot?

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Dee Dovey" > wrote in message ...

| I'm try to determine if there is something like a chafing dish (in that it
| is used a fuel burner/candle-like underneath it to keep food warm), for
| actually warming soups/dals or even braising onions,. In other words,
| something that gets hot enough to boil or braise.
|
| I find myself without electricity twice today; so it is a thought.
| We have a small generator, but it is probably enough for only keeping the
| furnace going, and the refrigerator running, but not both at the same time.
|
| Lights flickering now --- oh, oh.
| Dee Dee

Probably any Sterno-fueled burner will cook whatever you want
to survival level; they kept troops alive for many years in numerous
wars. Oh, oh. Can you see this? Are you still there??

pavane

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Wallace" > wrote in message

> "Dee Dovey" > wrote in message
>>
>> I'm try to determine if there is something like a chafing dish (in that
>> it is used a fuel burner/candle-like underneath it to keep food warm),
>> for actually warming soups/dals or even braising onions,. In other
>> words, something that gets hot enough to boil or braise.
>>
>> I find myself without electricity twice today; so it is a thought.
>> We have a small generator, but it is probably enough for only keeping the
>> furnace going, and the refrigerator running, but not both at the same
>> time.
>>
>> Lights flickering now --- oh, oh.

> Dee, the answer to your generator load concerns can be found in old
> episodes of Green Acres. I trust you a bit more mathematically inclined
> than Mrs. Douglas.
>
> how about a butane burner for such purposes? Or a propane grill?

Thanks everyone. I believe it is the butane burner for me.

Ah, yes. Flickering lights, 24"+ snow, and an overnight low in the single
digits keeps one alert.

That's what I like about the South.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Sat, 6 Feb 2010 17:50:40 -0500, "Dee Dovey" >
wrote:

>I'm try to determine if there is something like a chafing dish (in that it
>is used a fuel burner/candle-like underneath it to keep food warm), for
>actually warming soups/dals or even braising onions,. In other words,
>something that gets hot enough to boil or braise.
>
>I find myself without electricity twice today; so it is a thought.
>We have a small generator, but it is probably enough for only keeping the
>furnace going, and the refrigerator running, but not both at the same time.
>
>Lights flickering now --- oh, oh.
>Dee Dee

COnsider finding an Asian market or import shop. Those little tabletop
stoves (butane driven) of the type you see in Japanese restaurants
(for making sukiyaki) are more than adequate for making 1 skillet
meals. They run about 25-30 USD and the butane cylinders are available
at similar shops as well as hardware stores. Very portable,
lightweight, and come with built-in wok stands. I have two, just for
the reason you mention - chancey electrical grid. Also great for
tail-gating. Self-ignition is normal. Heat range goes up to about
10-11,000 BTU.

HTH

Alex
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Chemiker" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 6 Feb 2010 17:50:40 -0500, "Dee Dovey" >
> wrote:
>

>>I'm try to determine if there is something like a chafing dish (in that it
>>is used a fuel burner/candle-like underneath it to keep food warm), for
>>actually warming soups/dals or even braising onions,. In other words,
>>something that gets hot enough to boil or braise.
>>
>>I find myself without electricity twice today; so it is a thought.
>>We have a small generator, but it is probably enough for only keeping the
>>furnace going, and the refrigerator running, but not both at the same
>>time.
>>
>>Lights flickering now --- oh, oh.
>>Dee Dee
>>

> COnsider finding an Asian market or import shop. Those little tabletop
> stoves (butane driven) of the type you see in Japanese restaurants
> (for making sukiyaki) are more than adequate for making 1 skillet
> meals. They run about 25-30 USD and the butane cylinders are available
> at similar shops as well as hardware stores. Very portable,
> lightweight, and come with built-in wok stands. I have two, just for
> the reason you mention - chancey electrical grid. Also great for
> tail-gating. Self-ignition is normal. Heat range goes up to about
> 10-11,000 BTU.
>
> HTH
>
> Alex

I'll do that Alex. I've looked on Amazon, but I think I'll wait to look
hands-on at the market.

We have more Korean markets than Japanese markets in the Fairfax, VA area,
but many of the markets are a combination of Asian and Hispanic and they
cater to all.
Thanks for the tip.

Even though we had our driveway (600-800 feet perhaps) plowed late
yesterday; DH decided to brave it, but ended up digging out at least 4 times
to make it up the hill. Finally made it this morning. I see him now working
on putting yet another/different set of chains. This morning already we had
a power outage of 2 seconds enough to shut down the computer and clock
settings. Another 8-12 inches forecast....

Dee Dee
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Chemiker" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 9 Feb 2010 11:35:57 -0500, "Dee Dovey" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Chemiker" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Sat, 6 Feb 2010 17:50:40 -0500, "Dee Dovey" >
>>> wrote:

>>> COnsider finding an Asian market or import shop. Those little tabletop
>>> stoves (butane driven) of the type you see in Japanese restaurants
>>> (for making sukiyaki) are more than adequate for making 1 skillet
>>> meals. They run about 25-30 USD and the butane cylinders are available
>>> at similar shops as well as hardware stores. Very portable,
>>> lightweight, and come with built-in wok stands. I have two, just for
>>> the reason you mention - chancey electrical grid. Also great for
>>> tail-gating. Self-ignition is normal. Heat range goes up to about
>>> 10-11,000 BTU.
>>>
>>> HTH
>>>
>>> Alex

>>I'll do that Alex. I've looked on Amazon, but I think I'll wait to look
>>hands-on at the market.
>>
>>We have more Korean markets than Japanese markets in the Fairfax, VA area,
>>but many of the markets are a combination of Asian and Hispanic and they
>>cater to all.
>>Thanks for the tip.
>>
>> Even though we had our driveway (600-800 feet perhaps) plowed late
>>yesterday; DH decided to brave it, but ended up digging out at least 4
>>times
>>to make it up the hill. Finally made it this morning. I see him now
>>working
>>on putting yet another/different set of chains. This morning already we
>>had
>>a power outage of 2 seconds enough to shut down the computer and clock
>>settings. Another 8-12 inches forecast....

> My heart goes out, Dee. I grew up in NJ and I'm somewhat familiar with
> your area, being occasionally on I95. You've to cope with trees
> falling on power lines, ice loads on same, frost heaves in the roads,
> and high heating oil costs. Hang in there, more's coming. My nearest
> metro is Houston, which has a fair mix of Korean, Japanese (this was
> once rice country), Chinese and Vietnamese, plus a nice sprinkling of
> people from the Indian subcontinent. And yes, they often drive pickup
> trucks. I'd rather face our hurricanes than your black ice - been
> there and done that. One reason I like these little butane stoves is
> that it takes NO effort to take them out th the patio for fondue,
> shabu-shabu, whatever. I bought two and, on occasion, put them side by
> side with a grill plate on both burners. Nice for kebabs. Oh, with a
> 10" skillet (cast iron), you can heat the pan enough to grill steaks
> on.
>
> Best of luck to you and yours.
>
> Alex

Thanks again, Alex.
DH's cousin moved recently from Virginia - originally from CT - to the
Houston area and they "really" like it.

As I am re-heating yesterday's nice cabbage soup, I can visualize heating it
on my new burner!

Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Chemiker" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 9 Feb 2010 13:10:32 -0500, "Dee Dovey" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Chemiker" > wrote in message
. ..
> [...]
m...

>>Thanks again, Alex.
>>DH's cousin moved recently from Virginia - originally from CT - to the
>>Houston area and they "really" like it.
>>
>>As I am re-heating yesterday's nice cabbage soup, I can visualize heating
>>it
>>on my new burner!
>>
>>Dee

> Great. Two OK brands are Iwatani and Wang Globalnet, the former made
> in Japan (but Iwatani butane cylinders are made in Korea) and the
> latter made in Korea (imagine that). They both use the same cylinders,
> available in 3/4-packs. Except for cosmetics, they are identical. I
> looked at Amazon and I see you've found the right ones. Better to do a
> hands-on, though, as some are *very* lightly constructed and
> susceptible to dents and dings in shipment. Such damage can make
> proper insertion and lockup of the cylinders impossible or, worse yet,
> possible but dangerous.
>
> The two brands I mentioned are among the more robust units. Iwatani is
> imported by Jaccard out of Orchard Park, NY, and Wang is all over the
> place.
>
> Have fun with your cabbage soup. I'm getting ready to make a pot
> myself, with lamb and tomato - a legacy dish that's nominally
> Hungarian (I suspect it's Croat!)
>
> Alex, who points out you CAN make a pot of cabbage soup on one of
> these butane-fired puppies. If you can get a deal on 2, you have a
> 2-burner portable kitchen. Who could ask for more?

Thanks again. I printed out your information for my next shopping trip.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

wrote:

>"Chemiker" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sat, 6 Feb 2010 17:50:40 -0500, "Dee Dovey" >
>> wrote:

>> COnsider finding an Asian market or import shop. Those little tabletop
>> stoves (butane driven) of the type you see in Japanese restaurants
>> (for making sukiyaki) are more than adequate for making 1 skillet
>> meals. They run about 25-30 USD and the butane cylinders are available
>> at similar shops as well as hardware stores. Very portable,
>> lightweight, and come with built-in wok stands. I have two, just for
>> the reason you mention - chancey electrical grid. Also great for
>> tail-gating. Self-ignition is normal. Heat range goes up to about
>> 10-11,000 BTU.
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> Alex

>I'll do that Alex. I've looked on Amazon, but I think I'll wait to look
>hands-on at the market.
>
>We have more Korean markets than Japanese markets in the Fairfax, VA area,
>but many of the markets are a combination of Asian and Hispanic and they
>cater to all.
>Thanks for the tip.
>
> Even though we had our driveway (600-800 feet perhaps) plowed late
>yesterday; DH decided to brave it, but ended up digging out at least 4 times
>to make it up the hill. Finally made it this morning. I see him now working
>on putting yet another/different set of chains. This morning already we had
>a power outage of 2 seconds enough to shut down the computer and clock
>settings. Another 8-12 inches forecast....

My heart goes out, Dee. I grew up in NJ and I'm somewhat familiar with
your area, being occasionally on I95. You've to cope with trees
falling on power lines, ice loads on same, frost heaves in the roads,
and high heating oil costs. Hang in there, more's coming. My nearest
metro is Houston, which has a fair mix of Korean, Japanese (this was
once rice country), Chinese and Vietnamese, plus a nice sprinkling of
people from the Indian subcontinent. And yes, they often drive pickup
trucks. I'd rather face our hurricanes than your black ice - been
there and done that. One reason I like these little butane stoves is
that it takes NO effort to take them out th the patio for fondue,
shabu-shabu, whatever. I bought two and, on occasion, put them side by
side with a grill plate on both burners. Nice for kebabs. Oh, with a
10" skillet (cast iron), you can heat the pan enough to grill steaks
on.

Best of luck to you and yours.

Alex

Posted to rec.food.equipment

wrote:

>"Chemiker" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Tue, 9 Feb 2010 11:35:57 -0500, "Dee Dovey" >
>> wrote:

>Thanks again, Alex.
>DH's cousin moved recently from Virginia - originally from CT - to the
>Houston area and they "really" like it.
>
>As I am re-heating yesterday's nice cabbage soup, I can visualize heating it
>on my new burner!
>
>Dee

Great. Two OK brands are Iwatani and Wang Globalnet, the former made
in Japan (but Iwatani butane cylinders are made in Korea) and the
latter made in Korea (imagine that). They both use the same cylinders,
available in 3/4-packs. Except for cosmetics, they are identical. I
looked at Amazon and I see you've found the right ones. Better to do a
hands-on, though, as some are *very* lightly constructed and
susceptible to dents and dings in shipment. Such damage can make
proper insertion and lockup of the cylinders impossible or, worse yet,
possible but dangerous.

The two brands I mentioned are among the more robust units. Iwatani is
imported by Jaccard out of Orchard Park, NY, and Wang is all over the
place.

Have fun with your cabbage soup. I'm getting ready to make a pot
myself, with lamb and tomato - a legacy dish that's nominally
Hungarian (I suspect it's Croat!)

Alex, who points out you CAN make a pot of cabbage soup on one of
these butane-fired puppies. If you can get a deal on 2, you have a
2-burner portable kitchen. Who could ask for more?
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Dee Dovey wrote:
> "Chemiker" > wrote in message
>> On Sat, 6 Feb 2010 17:50:40 -0500, "Dee Dovey" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm try to determine if there is something like a chafing dish (in that it
>>> is used a fuel burner/candle-like underneath it to keep food warm), for
>>> actually warming soups/dals or even braising onions,. In other words,
>>> something that gets hot enough to boil or braise.
>>>
>>> I find myself without electricity twice today; so it is a thought.
>>> We have a small generator, but it is probably enough for only keeping the
>>> furnace going, and the refrigerator running, but not both at the same
>>> time.
>>>
>>> Lights flickering now --- oh, oh.
>>> Dee Dee
>>>

>> COnsider finding an Asian market or import shop. Those little tabletop
>> stoves (butane driven) of the type you see in Japanese restaurants
>> (for making sukiyaki) are more than adequate for making 1 skillet
>> meals. They run about 25-30 USD and the butane cylinders are available
>> at similar shops as well as hardware stores. Very portable,
>> lightweight, and come with built-in wok stands. I have two, just for
>> the reason you mention - chancey electrical grid. Also great for
>> tail-gating. Self-ignition is normal. Heat range goes up to about
>> 10-11,000 BTU.
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> Alex

> I'll do that Alex. I've looked on Amazon, but I think I'll wait to look
> hands-on at the market.
>
> We have more Korean markets than Japanese markets in the Fairfax, VA area,
> but many of the markets are a combination of Asian and Hispanic and they
> cater to all.
> Thanks for the tip.
>
> Even though we had our driveway (600-800 feet perhaps) plowed late
> yesterday; DH decided to brave it, but ended up digging out at least 4 times
> to make it up the hill. Finally made it this morning. I see him now working
> on putting yet another/different set of chains. This morning already we had
> a power outage of 2 seconds enough to shut down the computer and clock
> settings. Another 8-12 inches forecast....
>

> Dee Dee
> Shenandoah Valley, Virginia

two burner coleman stove. for safety probably the propane one.
Cylinders are available everywhere. Cook as well as a real stove.