Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What I made for T-day dinner.

This year I didn't have the energy to clean house for
company and my aunt and cousin had been invited elsewhere
so I decided to cook just for me.

I was planning to make the pumpkin pies and dinner
rolls on Wed. but my daughter was in town and could
only see me on Wed. evening so we went out for dinner
at Primanti's. I had the Colossal Fish Sandwich,which
is what I always get and she, being a Primanti virgin,
went with the pastrami sandwich, without the slaw!
I tried to tell her you can't do that but she wouldn't
listen. ;-)

So, since I couldn't make the pies and rolls until the
next day I decided to do just that and do the rest on
Friday. Mostly because I wanted to visit a fried and take
her some pie, some rolls, and some of my Barhi dates as well
as show her pictures of my recent trip to Montana.

When she found out I wasn't having my own dinner that day
she invited me to come for dinner. We had stuff from TJ's.
She's a vegetarian, but her boy friend is not so we had a
rolled pork loin roast stuffed with spinach and whatall.
There was also some chickpeas and a rice pilaf. There was
also aome red wine, not sure what. After dinner we looked
at pictures and then had our dessert. The pie was the recipe
on the Libby's can which is my favorite - I've used it all my
life, and so does everyone else in my family. The crust was
from the Betty Crocker cookbook. The rolls were my grandmother's
recipe.

So, on Friday I made the rest of my T-day dinner - turkey,
cornbread stuffing (my first time!), Hungarian-style mashed
potatoes (first time), corn pudding, and Transylvanian green
bean casserole.

I was feeling adventurous so I decided to try cornbread
stuffing. I had it once years ago and hated it because it
was soggy and disgusting. I thought that if it were made
right that would not happen. It turns out the recipe I
decided to use was pretty good. I did not cook it in the
turkey as I figured that was part of the problem with the
one I didn't like, so I baked it in a casserole. I was
sparing with the liquid and put a lot less than was recommended.
It turned out really good. I could have put a little more
broth in it but better a little drier than soggy.

The corn pudding recipe was also new. I got it from Epicurious,
from Bon Apetit. It turned out pretty good, but I think I would
have liked it better if it were less fluffy (from the beaten
egg whites. I might try it again and not beat the whites, just
mix in the whole eggs. And maybe not puree all the corn, only
half and leave some whole kernels.

Someone recently posted about Paul Kovi's Transylvanian
Cuisine cookbook. I got it out of the library and copied
some of the recipes. I thought the Layer Green Beans sounded
good so I made that. I used canned beans as I didn't have
the energy to deal with fresh. It turned out pretty good.
I made a few changes - don't I always!

And I decided to try something different with the mashed potatoes
so I dug out June Meyer's Authentic Hungarian-style Mashed Potatoes
which I had saved years ago but never got around to trying. They
are wonderful.

I drank some plum wine from North Dakota which I brought
back from my trip.

I will post all the recipes separately.

With the leftover white meat and the dinner rolls I made
sandwiched for brunch on Sat. and Sun. I put slices of
jelled cranberry sauce on top of the turkey and then slather
on some MW. Best turkey sandwich in the world!

Kate
--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Kate Connally > wrote:

> I will post all the recipes separately.
>
> With the leftover white meat and the dinner rolls I made
> sandwiched for brunch on Sat. and Sun. I put slices of
> jelled cranberry sauce on top of the turkey and then slather
> on some MW. Best turkey sandwich in the world!
>
> Kate

Sounds like a lot of fun and good eating Kate. :-)
I look forward to the recipes... I'm intrigued by corn pudding. I just
served corn on the cob.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 15:43:26 -0500, Kate Connally >
wrote:

snippage

>With the leftover white meat and the dinner rolls I made
>sandwiched for brunch on Sat. and Sun. I put slices of
>jelled cranberry sauce on top of the turkey and then slather
>on some MW. Best turkey sandwich in the world!
>
>Kate

Sounds like you had a few days of good eating there.

Thanks for the recipes.

koko
--

There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw