Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Paul Prudhomme uses and specifies margarine at times...

Paul Prudhomme specified margarine fairly often when he wanted a higher
oil content for heat control than he could get with butter. He said that:

"I usually prefer the taste of margarine to olive oil or vegetable oil for
frying when butter is also being used, and margarine does have enough
oil in it to do what I want."
--Paul Prudhomme's Louisiana Kitchen, p. 24

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 19, 9:06*am, "pavane" > wrote:
> Paul Prudhomme specified margarine fairly often when he wanted a higher
> oil content for heat control than he could get with butter. *He said that:
>
> "I usually prefer the taste of margarine to olive oil or vegetable oil for
> frying when butter is also being used, and margarine does have enough
> oil in it to do what I want."
> --Paul Prudhomme's Louisiana Kitchen, p. 24

1. 25 years ago, a lot of folks had no clue about the dangers of trans
fats from partially hydrogenated oils.
2. I try not to make a habit of getting my diet advice from the
grossly obese.
3. 25 years ago, peanut oil was rarely used outside of Asian cooking,
and Canola was virtually unheard of, so heat tolerant, reasonably
neutral oils were not in many folks pantries.

Anyone who uses stick margarine in 2009 is a fool.

> pavane

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

pavane wrote:
> Paul Prudhomme specified margarine fairly often when he wanted a higher
> oil content for heat control than he could get with butter. He said that:
>
> "I usually prefer the taste of margarine to olive oil or vegetable oil for
> frying when butter is also being used, and margarine does have enough
> oil in it to do what I want."
> --Paul Prudhomme's Louisiana Kitchen, p. 24
>
> pavane

There's always lard.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Stu" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 10:06:33 -0500, "pavane"
> >
> wrote:
>
> -->Paul Prudhomme specified margarine fairly often when he wanted a higher
> -->oil content for heat control than he could get with butter. He said
> that:
> -->
> -->"I usually prefer the taste of margarine to olive oil or vegetable oil
> for
> -->frying when butter is also being used, and margarine does have enough
> -->oil in it to do what I want."
> -->--Paul Prudhomme's Louisiana Kitchen, p. 24
> -->
> -->pavane

> For sauteing I use butter or grape seed oil, my mother 40 yrs. ago used
> margarine. The operative word is " frying " not "baking"

Right you are, Stu. While I do use margarine when PP calls for it, and only
then, it has no place in baking.

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 07:17:59 -0800 (PST), --Bryan wrote:

> On Nov 19, 9:06*am, "pavane" > wrote:
>> Paul Prudhomme specified margarine fairly often when he wanted a higher
>> oil content for heat control than he could get with butter. *He said that:
>>
>> "I usually prefer the taste of margarine to olive oil or vegetable oil for
>> frying when butter is also being used, and margarine does have enough
>> oil in it to do what I want."
>> --Paul Prudhomme's Louisiana Kitchen, p. 24

> 1. 25 years ago, a lot of folks had no clue about the dangers of trans
> fats from partially hydrogenated oils.
> 2. I try not to make a habit of getting my diet advice from the
> grossly obese.

i wouldn't call it 'diet advice.' prudhomme isn't in the health food
business.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 10:06:33 -0500, pavane wrote:

> Paul Prudhomme specified margarine fairly often when he wanted a higher
> oil content for heat control than he could get with butter. He said that:
>
> "I usually prefer the taste of margarine to olive oil or vegetable oil for
> frying when butter is also being used, and margarine does have enough
> oil in it to do what I want."
> --Paul Prudhomme's Louisiana Kitchen, p. 24
>
> pavane

sounds like a 'proper tool for the job' man.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 19, 11:04*am, blake murphy > wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 07:17:59 -0800 (PST), --Bryan wrote:
> > On Nov 19, 9:06*am, "pavane" > wrote:
> >> Paul Prudhomme specified margarine fairly often when he wanted a higher
> >> oil content for heat control than he could get with butter. *He said that:

> >> "I usually prefer the taste of margarine to olive oil or vegetable oil for
> >> frying when butter is also being used, and margarine does have enough
> >> oil in it to do what I want."
> >> --Paul Prudhomme's Louisiana Kitchen, p. 24

> > 1. 25 years ago, a lot of folks had no clue about the dangers of trans
> > fats from partially hydrogenated oils.
> > 2. I try not to make a habit of getting my diet advice from the
> > grossly obese.

> i wouldn't call it 'diet advice.' *prudhomme isn't in the health food
> business.

Perhaps a bad word/phrasing choice, as I was using "diet" in a more
old fashioned sense.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/Diet

> your pal,
> blake

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-11-19, pavane > wrote:
> Paul Prudhomme specified margarine fairly often when he wanted a higher
> oil content for heat control than he could get with butter. He said that:
>
> "I usually prefer the taste of margarine to olive oil or vegetable oil for
> frying when butter is also being used, and margarine does have enough
> oil in it to do what I want."
> --Paul Prudhomme's Louisiana Kitchen, p. 24
>
> pavane

I love PP, but he uses so many spices in ALL his dishes, you could use
10K mile old crankcase oil and never know it from evoo or fresh
churned butter. His approach works in many dishes (étouffée, which
are to die for), but I'd have 2nd thoughts about his sugar cookies.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"--Bryan" > wrote in message
On Nov 19, 11:04 am, blake murphy > wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 07:17:59 -0800 (PST), --Bryan wrote:
> > On Nov 19, 9:06 am, "pavane" > wrote:
> >> Paul Prudhomme specified margarine fairly often when he wanted a higher
> >> oil content for heat control than he could get with butter. He said that:

> >> "I usually prefer the taste of margarine to olive oil or vegetable oil for
> >> frying when butter is also being used, and margarine does have enough
> >> oil in it to do what I want."
> >> --Paul Prudhomme's Louisiana Kitchen, p. 24

> > 1. 25 years ago, a lot of folks had no clue about the dangers of trans
> > fats from partially hydrogenated oils.
> > 2. I try not to make a habit of getting my diet advice from the
> > grossly obese.

> i wouldn't call it 'diet advice.' prudhomme isn't in the health food
> business.

Perhaps a bad word/phrasing choice, as I was using "diet" in a more
old fashioned sense.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/Diet

> your pal,
> blake

--Bryan

But Bryan, aren't you using an old-fashioned definition of "diet" to
criticize an equally old-fashioned method of cooking?

I do agree that our oil knowledge has changed, but Prudhomme was
and is one of the best cooks of our generation, he virtually single-
handedly defined Cajun cooking and brought it into the forefront of
modern 1980s cookery. Don't think you should be so critical of his
size until you can equal his accomplishments, which by any measure
are rather gigantic.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"pavane" > wrote in message
> Paul Prudhomme specified margarine fairly often when he wanted a higher
> oil content for heat control than he could get with butter. He said that:
>
> "I usually prefer the taste of margarine to olive oil or vegetable oil for
> frying when butter is also being used, and margarine does have enough
> oil in it to do what I want."
> --Paul Prudhomme's Louisiana Kitchen, p. 24
>
> pavane

Not saying I agree with him but I can see his point. First of all,
margarine is made largely from oil but is supposed to taste like butter, so
it makes sense he'd use it rather than oil combined with [dairy] butter.
Secondly, you have to keep in mind when he was born and what he grew up
with. WWII was still in progress when he was a child. Real butter was a
rare commodity, especially in a family with 13 children. Margarine is what
he grew up with. If he finds a way to make it work in his recipes, so be
it. You don't have to follow his recipes (or any recipe) as if they were
the Holy Grail. Heh.

I don't fall into the 'Extra Virgin Olive Oil' for everything trap, either.
Olive oil is fine for some things. It's not the be all, end all of oils.
It depends on what you're using it for. You have to keep in mind, it's all
marketing.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message

> Not saying I agree with him but I can see his point. First of all,
> margarine is made largely from oil but is supposed to taste like butter,
> so it makes sense he'd use it rather than oil combined with [dairy]
> butter.

> I don't fall into the 'Extra Virgin Olive Oil' for everything trap,
> either. Olive oil is fine for some things. It's not the be all, end all
> of oils. It depends on what you're using it for. You have to keep in
> mind, it's all marketing.
>
> Jill

Even if you want to use olive oil for frying, you don't need extra virgin.
Unless you are following a Rachel Ray recipe and need eeeevee oh oh.

We've taken to using ghee a lot these days.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-11-22, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> We've taken to using ghee a lot these days.

With Challenge butter on sale for $1.99 a lot, lately, I may start
making some ghee, also. How do you do it, Ed? How do you store it?

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2009-11-22, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
>> We've taken to using ghee a lot these days.

> With Challenge butter on sale for $1.99 a lot, lately, I may start
> making some ghee, also. How do you do it, Ed? How do you store it?
>

> nb

Although it can be stored at room temperature, we refrigerate it so it is
sure to last a while.
Better to use a narrow tall pot rather than a wide pan to make it easier to
separate. T

These are the original instructions we've used:
Sticks of pure butter are placed in a large saucepan or kettle over medium
to high heat. As the butter melts, it begins to boil. The solids settle to
the bottom, while a thicker layer of oil forms in the center. The excess
water forms a foamy top layer as it boils away. Rather than try to take out
the hot center, let it solidify and you can cut the bottom off and leave the
clarified portion to save for later.

Once the boiling process has slowed considerably, the middle layer should
have a golden brown appearance. This is the clarified butter or ghee. The
preparer carefully spoons off this layer, making sure not to disturb the
layer of solids on the bottom. The ghee is allowed to cool in an air-tight
canister, similar to a solid vegetable shortening or animal-based lard. Ghee
can be reheated for deep frying or drizzled over dishes like a syrup or
sauce.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 10:32:29 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski" >
wrote:

>This is the clarified butter or ghee.

Just curious why you chose to call it ghee.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-11-22, sf > wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 10:32:29 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski" >
> wrote:
>
>>This is the clarified butter or ghee.

> Just curious why you chose to call it ghee.

I'm even more curious as to why you would ask such a question.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 10:32:29 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski" >
> wrote:
>
>>This is the clarified butter or ghee.

> Just curious why you chose to call it ghee.

Because that is what it is. Ghee is usually cooked longer than clarified
butter. The solids get browned a bit and impart the nutty flavor to the
butter. Both are good for cooking though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 13:31:47 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski" >
wrote:

>"sf" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 10:32:29 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>This is the clarified butter or ghee.

>> Just curious why you chose to call it ghee.

>Because that is what it is. Ghee is usually cooked longer than clarified
>butter. The solids get browned a bit and impart the nutty flavor to the
>butter. Both are good for cooking though.

Thanks. That's my understanding too. I read what you wrote as saying
clarified butter is the same as ghee.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 19, 3:31*pm, garden-variety dick >
wrote:
> On Nov 19, 12:42*pm, Ranée at Arabian Knits >
> wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > *"Jean B." > wrote:

> > > There's always lard.

> > * *Or tallow. *I do prefer the taste of olive oil, butter, cold pressed
> > sunflower seed oil, coconut oil, lard or tallow, as well as thinking
> > them better for me than fake fat.

> I've posted this before, but it bears repeating. *A few years ago,
> there was an article in the 'Wall Street Journal' concerning lard. *As
> it turns out, lard has many heart friendly nutrients in it.
> Moderation is the key.

I'd heard that there's some fine print on that lard thing. When it's
heated ripping hot, it breaks down into stuff that is bad for the
heart.

Piecrust, yes. Deep-fry, no.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Nov 19, 3:31 pm, garden-variety dick >
> wrote:
>> On Nov 19, 12:42 pm, Ranée at Arabian Knits >
>> wrote:

>>> Or tallow. I do prefer the taste of olive oil, butter, cold pressed
>>> sunflower seed oil, coconut oil, lard or tallow, as well as thinking
>>> them better for me than fake fat.

>> I've posted this before, but it bears repeating. A few years ago,
>> there was an article in the 'Wall Street Journal' concerning lard. As
>> it turns out, lard has many heart friendly nutrients in it.
>> Moderation is the key.

> I'd heard that there's some fine print on that lard thing. When it's
> heated ripping hot, it breaks down into stuff that is bad for the
> heart.
>
> Piecrust, yes. Deep-fry, no.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Is that the unadulterated lard, or the stuff that is available in
the supermarket, which contains BHT and partially hydrogenated lard?

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 10:28:37 -0800, Ranée at Arabian Knits
> wrote:

>In article
>,
> Cindy Hamilton > wrote:
>
>> On Nov 19, 3:31*pm, garden-variety dick >
>> wrote:

>> > I've posted this before, but it bears repeating. *A few years ago,
>> > there was an article in the 'Wall Street Journal' concerning lard. *As
>> > it turns out, lard has many heart friendly nutrients in it.
>> > Moderation is the key.

>> I'd heard that there's some fine print on that lard thing. When it's
>> heated ripping hot, it breaks down into stuff that is bad for the
>> heart.
>>
>> Piecrust, yes. Deep-fry, no.

> Are they talking about the bleached white blocks of garbage that say
>lard on them in the grocery store or actual rendered lard? We render
>our own from pastured pork.

Most people don't render their own and don't have access to rendered
lard, so it would be good information.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 23, 10:14*am, "Jean B." > wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > On Nov 19, 3:31 pm, garden-variety dick >
> > wrote:

> >> I've posted this before, but it bears repeating. *A few years ago,
> >> there was an article in the 'Wall Street Journal' concerning lard. *As
> >> it turns out, lard has many heart friendly nutrients in it.
> >> Moderation is the key.

> > I'd heard that there's some fine print on that lard thing. *When it's
> > heated ripping hot, it breaks down into stuff that is bad for the
> > heart.

> > Piecrust, yes. *Deep-fry, no.

> > Cindy Hamilton

> Is that the unadulterated lard, or the stuff that is available in
> the supermarket, which contains BHT and partially hydrogenated lard?

Hell, I don't know. I'm reporting something the guy in the next cube
said. His wife is a doctor.

If I were to use lard (not that I have much need for any kind of
shortening),
I'd get the un-hydrogenated lard that's sold here in Ann Arbor by
Zingerman's Bakehouse. I don't bake. I occasionally fry, but only in
about a tablespoon of peanut oil.

Cindy Hamilton