Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default req - Paul Prudhomme recipe for Kentucky Fried Green Tomatoes

I saw a show on PBS recently which I believe was
"Chef Paul Prudhomme's Always Cooking!". I came in
after it started. Never seen it before so I think
they may have just started showing it. He made
what he call "Kentucky Fried Green Tomatoes" but
which are listed in the PBS info on the show as "fried
green tomatoes with cream gravy".

They were green tomato slices dipped in seasoned
flour/cornmeal and fried, then served on English
muffin halves with bacon cream gravy over them.

Does anyone by any chance have his recipe for
this? I wasn't able to write it down during the
show, but he didn't really give amounts anyway.
I've searched online and can't find the recipe.

I can probably fake it but still would like to
have an "official" version of the recipe.

Thanks,
Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kate Connally" > wrote

> They were green tomato slices dipped in seasoned
> flour/cornmeal and fried, then served on English
> muffin halves with bacon cream gravy over them.

Maybe this would help? Not exactly what you're looking for:

Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop

Fried Green Tomatoes with Milk Gravy

3 tablespoons bacon fat
4 firm green tomatoes, sliced 1/2 inch thick
Beaten eggs
Dry bread crumbs
Flour, milk, salt and pepper

Heat bacon fat in heavy frying pan. Dip tomatoes in eggs,
then in bread crumbs. Slowly fry them until golden brown
on both sides. Put tomatoes on a plate. For each tablespoon
of fat left in the pan, stir in a teaspoon of flour and blend well;
then stir in 1 cup warm milk and cook until thickened, stirring
constantly. Add salt and pepper till you like it. Pour over the
tomatoes and serve.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in
:

> Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop

panko and cornmeal here I come....

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kate Connally" > wrote in message
>I saw a show on PBS recently which I believe was
> "Chef Paul Prudhomme's Always Cooking!". I came in
> after it started. Never seen it before so I think
> they may have just started showing it. He made
> what he call "Kentucky Fried Green Tomatoes" but
> which are listed in the PBS info on the show as "fried
> green tomatoes with cream gravy".

snip snip snip

> I can probably fake it but still would like to
> have an "official" version of the recipe.

Kate,

I hope this is what you're looking for. This recipe is from Chef Paul
Prudhomme's Seasoned America. I've had the cookbook for years, but never
tried any recipes. I do use his Louisiana Kitchen often.

If I were to try this one, I think I would have used all of the bacon fat
and reduced the vegetable oil.

KENTUCKY FRIED TOMATOES WITH CREAM GRAVY
Chef Paul Prudhomme's Seasoned America

Seasoning mix:
2 tsp salt
1-1/2 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp white pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp dried sweet basil leaves
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 tsp salt
3-4 ea green tomatoes, sliced; 1/4 to 1/3-inch thick
8 slices bacon, diced
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup chicken stock
1-1/2 cups heavy cream, in all
6 ea English muffins, split

Combine the seasoning mix ingredients thoroughly in a small bowl. Makes 2
tablespoons plus 2-1/4 teaspoons.

Combine the flour and cornmeal in a small mixing bowl. Add the salt and 1
tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon of the seasoning mix and blend well.
Sprinkle the tomato slices on one side only with a total of 1 tablespoon of
the seasoning mix, and pat it in with your hands.

Fry the bacon in a 12-inch skillet over high heat, stirring occasionally,
about 3 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium and cook until the bacon is
browned and crisp, about 4 to 5 minutes. Remove the bacon with a slotted
spoon, drain and set aside. Pour off the fat from the pan, reserving 1/4 of
the drippings.

Heat the reserved bacon drippings and the vegetable oil in the same skillet
over high heat until very hot, about 5 minutes. While the fat is heating,
dredge the tomato slices in the flour/cornmeal mixture one at a time;
reserve the leftover flour mixture. When the fat is hot, add 6 of the
tomato slices, or as many as fit in a single layer. Fry over high heat,
turning twice, until browned, about 10 minutes. If the tomatoes seem to be
browing too quickly, reduce the heat slightly. Remove with a slotted
spatula and drain on paper towels. Fry the remaining tomato slices and
drain. (Do not drain the fat from the skillet.) Chop 2 of the fried tomato
slices and set aside.

Add 3 tablespoons of the reserved seasoned flour mixture to the oil in the
skillet, and cook, whisking with a wire whisk, about 3 minutes. Add the
chopped fried tomatoes, the stock and the cooked bacon and cook, whisking,
about 3 minutes. Add 1 cup of the cream and the remaining seasoning mix and
cook, whisking, 3 minutes. Whisk in the remaining 1/2 cup cream and remove
from the heat.

To serve, toast the muffin halves. Place a tomato slice on each half and
cover with 1/4 cup of the gravy.

Yield: 6 servings