Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Buttermilk biscuits... kinda

OK, I'm finally set. I have buttermilk, shortening, baking pwdr/soda,
and even soft winter wheat flour (I think). The only prob is it's not
Martha White or White Lily, traditional Southern soft wheat flours,
which appears to be unobtainable, hereabouts. What I did get, from a
local health food store, is whole wheat pastry flour, which is
basically the same as those other afore mentioned low gluten flours
....or supposed to be. It's jes I wasn't expecting "whole wheat", that
speciously labeled kinda gray looking stuff.

Anyone made biskies with whole wheat pastry flour?

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> OK, I'm finally set. I have buttermilk, shortening, baking pwdr/soda,
> and even soft winter wheat flour (I think). The only prob is it's not
> Martha White or White Lily, traditional Southern soft wheat flours,
> which appears to be unobtainable, hereabouts. What I did get, from a
> local health food store, is whole wheat pastry flour, which is
> basically the same as those other afore mentioned low gluten flours
> ...or supposed to be. It's jes I wasn't expecting "whole wheat", that
> speciously labeled kinda gray looking stuff.
>
> Anyone made biskies with whole wheat pastry flour?
>
> nb

nb - I have never used whole wheat, so if you do, please share the
experience. I'd personally rather use whole wheat. Just haven't gone there.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-10-06, Ranee at Arabian Knits > wrote:

> learned from a KA Flours video that using it in brownies requires
> letting it rest overnight to absorb more liquid to soften the bran.
> We've never had trouble with muffins, etc, though.

That's intriguing. I wonder why only brownies.

Thanks for the feedback.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 6, 5:26*pm, notbob > wrote:
> OK, I'm finally set. *I have buttermilk, shortening, baking pwdr/soda,
> and even soft winter wheat flour (I think). *The only prob is it's not
> Martha White or White Lily, traditional Southern soft wheat flours,
> which appears to be unobtainable, hereabouts. *What I did get, from a
> local health food store, is whole wheat pastry flour, which is
> basically the same as those other afore mentioned low gluten flours
> ...or supposed to be. *It's jes I wasn't expecting "whole wheat", that
> speciously labeled kinda gray looking stuff.
>
> Anyone made biskies with whole wheat pastry flour?
>
> nb

Would you like me to send you a 5 lb. bag of Martha White flour?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-10-06, Ranee at Arabian Knits > wrote:

> learned from a KA Flours video that using it in brownies requires
> letting it rest overnight to absorb more liquid to soften the bran.

The biscuits turned out good. Not what I wanted, but decent
biscuit-like texture for a wheat bran. The dough was pretty wet,
probably for the reason you give above, not enough moisture
absorption. I jes sprinkled extra flour to make the dough somewhat
handy (though still wettish) and went for it. They baked up ok, and
had nice flavor and good rise. I'd do it again, but would rather have
white flour. Overall, I'd rate it a successful experiment.

nb