Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default "Fritos Outdoor Cooking Ideas: 1957 .."

From the "Plan 59" website:
http://www.plan59.com/blog.htm

"? Fritos Outdoor Cooking Ideas: 1957

Most everything tastes better outdoors -- where the men are cooks (and the
women are glad of it). Take a lazy summer evening, bring out your portable
grill, or ready your outdoor fireplace. Soon you'll sniff the smoky aroma of
food sizzling over charcoal as it cooks to perfection. Most enjoyable of all
is the wonderful flavor that comes only from food cooked over an open fire.
.. . . It is wise to keep your outdoor menus simple -- meat or fish, a hot
casserole or vegetable, a salad and bread, then dessert and coffee. Of
course, no cookout is complete without Fritos. King-Size Fritos, the
extra-large ones, served with your favorite dip, make tasty
waiting-for-the-coals appetizers. Serve 'em right along with the meal, too.
The bright, fresh flavor of crisp, crunchy Fritos is especially flattering
to foods cooked outdoors . . ."

[Plan 59 comment: From 1957 we have this little 16-page pamphlet that came
clipped to your package of Fritos. The front and back covers are reproduced
below; click to enlarge. And bon appetit! ]

Front:

http://www.plan59.com/av/av541.htm

Back:

http://www.plan59.com/av/av542.htm

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gregory Morrow said...

> Back:
>
> http://www.plan59.com/av/av542.htm

As if!!!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 4, 6:29*pm, "Gregory Morrow" > wrote:
> From the "Plan 59" website:
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *http://www.plan59.com/blog.htm
>
> "? Fritos Outdoor Cooking Ideas: 1957
>
> Most everything tastes better outdoors -- where the men are cooks (and the
> women are glad of it). Take a lazy summer evening, bring out your portable
> grill, or ready your outdoor fireplace. Soon you'll sniff the smoky aroma of
> food sizzling over charcoal as it cooks to perfection. Most enjoyable of all
> is the wonderful flavor that comes only from food cooked over an open fire.
> . . . *It is wise to keep your outdoor menus simple -- meat or fish, a hot
> casserole or vegetable, a salad and bread, then dessert and coffee. Of
> course, no cookout is complete without Fritos. King-Size Fritos, the
> extra-large ones, served with your favorite dip, make tasty
> waiting-for-the-coals appetizers. Serve 'em right along with the meal, too.
> The bright, fresh flavor of crisp, crunchy Fritos is especially flattering
> to foods cooked outdoors *. . ."
>
> [Plan 59 comment: From 1957 we have this little 16-page pamphlet that came
> clipped to your package of Fritos. The front and back covers are reproduced
> below; click to enlarge. And bon appetit! ]
>
> Front:
>
> http://www.plan59.com/av/av541.htm
>
> Back:
>
> http://www.plan59.com/av/av542.htm
>
> --
> Best
> Greg

I love it! Retro items like this are the best.

BTW, Fritos are quite good at cool weather outdoor events when served
with chili - just scoop it up & pop into mouth.

IMHO,
Kris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kris wrote:
> I love it! Retro items like this are the best.
>
> BTW, Fritos are quite good at cool weather outdoor events when served
> with chili - just scoop it up & pop into mouth.
>
> IMHO,
> Kris

We always knew when one of my coworkers had PMS; she came with work with
a bag of scoopable Frito's, a block of cream cheese and a jar of
salsa. She shared, which was a good thing.

Becca