Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default "Roll yourown dinner" party ideas please

I am planning a silly and fun "Roll your own dinner party" for a few
friends. I am thinking wraps or pocket breads, maybe crepes along
with a variety of things to roll into dinner. I would like to provide
bowls of ingredients and let people grill them up as they like on the
griddle of my gas grill on the deck.
Anyone know any fun and creative combination ideas to share. I am
thinking moo shu porkish, steak strip taco things, sliced veggies? I
figured you all would have some yummy and fun ideas. Thanks in
advance.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 18:47:47 -0700, pamjd > wrote:

>I am planning a silly and fun "Roll your own dinner party" for a few
>friends. I am thinking wraps or pocket breads, maybe crepes along
>with a variety of things to roll into dinner. I would like to provide
>bowls of ingredients and let people grill them up as they like on the
>griddle of my gas grill on the deck.
>Anyone know any fun and creative combination ideas to share. I am
>thinking moo shu porkish, steak strip taco things, sliced veggies? I
>figured you all would have some yummy and fun ideas. Thanks in
>advance.

hummus and veggies (I wouldn't heat this)
black beans, salsa, rice, corn, cheese
pizza toppings, tomato sauce, cheese

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

pamjd wrote:

> I am planning a silly and fun "Roll your own dinner party" for a few
> friends. I am thinking wraps or pocket breads, maybe crepes along
> with a variety of things to roll into dinner. I would like to provide
> bowls of ingredients and let people grill them up as they like on the
> griddle of my gas grill on the deck.
> Anyone know any fun and creative combination ideas to share. I am
> thinking moo shu porkish, steak strip taco things, sliced veggies? I
> figured you all would have some yummy and fun ideas. Thanks in
> advance.

I like roll-your-own summer rolls, using rice paper wrappers: shrimp, crab,
Chinese barbecued pork slices, rotisserie chicken, baby corn, cilantro,
mint, basil, rice noodles, shredded carrots, shredded lettuce, bean sprouts,
bamboo shoots, jicama, sliced water chestnuts, peanuts, and cucumber spears
all work well in that format.

Dipping sauces can include: satay (peanut) sauce, doctored hoisin sauce,
nuoc cham, and more inventive sauces. (I've posted recipes for apricot-guava
and plum-lemon dipping sauces here in the past.)

For the steak-strip-taco crowd, I'd recommend avocado, lime wedges to
squeeze, sour cream, scallions (which can also be grilled), lettuce, orange
sections, pickled vegetables, black beans, shredded cheese, bell pepper
strips, and pickled jalapeños. Of course you'll also want a variety of
salsas.

Grilled veggies ought to include red onion slices, thick slices of zucchini
or other summer squash, bell peppers, portobello mushroom cubes, eggplant
cubes, and maybe marinated firm tofu.

If you want dessert crepes, people can grill pineapple slices, peach halves,
or fig halves, then drizzle with Grand Marnier and softened cream cheese
before wrapping in crepes.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 20, 7:18?pm, "Bob Terwilliger" >
wrote:
> pamjd wrote:
> > I am planning a silly and fun "Roll your own dinner party" for a few
> > friends. I am thinking wraps or pocket breads, maybe crepes along
> > with a variety of things to roll into dinner. I would like to provide
> > bowls of ingredients and let people grill them up as they like on the
> > griddle of my gas grill on the deck.
> > Anyone know any fun and creative combination ideas to share. I am
> > thinking moo shu porkish, steak strip taco things, sliced veggies? I
> > figured you all would have some yummy and fun ideas. Thanks in
> > advance.

> I like roll-your-own summer rolls, using rice paper wrappers: shrimp, crab,
> Chinese barbecued pork slices, rotisserie chicken, baby corn, cilantro,
> mint, basil, rice noodles, shredded carrots, shredded lettuce, bean sprouts,
> bamboo shoots, jicama, sliced water chestnuts, peanuts, and cucumber spears
> all work well in that format.
>
> Dipping sauces can include: satay (peanut) sauce, doctored hoisin sauce,
> nuoc cham, and more inventive sauces. (I've posted recipes for apricot-guava
> and plum-lemon dipping sauces here in the past.)
>
> For the steak-strip-taco crowd, I'd recommend avocado, lime wedges to
> squeeze, sour cream, scallions (which can also be grilled), lettuce, orange
> sections, pickled vegetables, black beans, shredded cheese, bell pepper
> strips, and pickled jalape os. Of course you'll also want a variety of
> salsas.
>
> Grilled veggies ought to include red onion slices, thick slices of zucchini
> or other summer squash, bell peppers, portobello mushroom cubes, eggplant
> cubes, and maybe marinated firm tofu.
>
> If you want dessert crepes, people can grill pineapple slices, peach halves,
> or fig halves, then drizzle with Grand Marnier and softened cream cheese
> before wrapping in crepes.
>
> Bob

Thanks for all the suggestions. I love Hummus and will plan on some
of Bob's ideas. Thanks again

Posted to rec.food.cooking

pamjd wrote:
> I am planning a silly and fun "Roll your own dinner party" for a few
> friends. I am thinking wraps or pocket breads, maybe crepes along
> with a variety of things to roll into dinner. I would like to provide
> bowls of ingredients and let people grill them up as they like on the
> griddle of my gas grill on the deck.

Crepes are fun and so delightfully simple! And you can do so many things
with them. I'm not a fan of the sweet crepe but they make wonderful dinner
items as well. Ham & cheese crepes; mushroom & chicken crepes. There are
so many possibilities.

> Anyone know any fun and creative combination ideas to share. I am
> thinking moo shu porkish, steak strip taco things, sliced veggies? I
> figured you all would have some yummy and fun ideas. Thanks in
> advance.

A "taco-bar" is great fun. Just let everyone pile on their own fixin's.
Please have both corn and flour tortillas. Wish I could be there

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 18:47:47 -0700, pamjd > wrote:

>I am planning a silly and fun "Roll your own dinner party" for a few
>friends. I am thinking wraps or pocket breads, maybe crepes along
>with a variety of things to roll into dinner. I would like to provide
>bowls of ingredients and let people grill them up as they like on the
>griddle of my gas grill on the deck.
>Anyone know any fun and creative combination ideas to share. I am
>thinking moo shu porkish, steak strip taco things, sliced veggies? I
>figured you all would have some yummy and fun ideas. Thanks in
>advance.

My favorite thing is lettuce wraps.... use shredded chicken. The rest
is up to you.... shredded carrot, strips of green onions etc. Top it
with a little bottled Thai Peanut sauce.

I haven't seen you in chat lately..... hope you're busy, busy, busy
enjoying your grandbabies.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

pamjd wrote:
> I am planning a silly and fun "Roll your own dinner party" for a few
> friends. I am thinking wraps or pocket breads, maybe crepes along
> with a variety of things to roll into dinner. I would like to provide
> bowls of ingredients and let people grill them up as they like on the
> griddle of my gas grill on the deck.
> Anyone know any fun and creative combination ideas to share. I am
> thinking moo shu porkish, steak strip taco things, sliced veggies? I
> figured you all would have some yummy and fun ideas. Thanks in
> advance.

It sounds like fun to me. There are three Italian (at least) versions
of this kind of food that you can search on, too. Tigelle, Crescentine
and Piadina. Unfortunately, Italians eat them with a fork and knife,
but when they aren't around I use my hands. Locally we have torta al
testo, but I find little difference to crescentina.

Piadina is really like flour tortillas, and my favorite filling is Greek
salad ingredients. Tomato, cucumber, onion and kalamata olives with
crumbled feta, olive oil and optional Greek yogurt. I grill the piadina
before filling and rolling like a wrap.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:

> Piadina is really like flour tortillas, and my favorite filling is
> Greek salad ingredients. Tomato, cucumber, onion and kalamata olives
> with crumbled feta, olive oil and optional Greek yogurt. I grill the
> piadina before filling and rolling like a wrap.

I never made them since I live in the area of "gnocco fritto", but when I
buy them I use to heat them on a non stich pan. First I ready my
ingredients, then heat one side, turn the piadina and start putting on my
topping / filling while the down side heats. Reached the right heat I ply
the piadina in two and it's ready to serve.
My fav filling: gorgonzola and ham, or spek, or salami, or baloney... But
when I have no zola at home, I just use sottilette (you know, those
individually packed thin slices of mistery cheese
http://www.spesaonline.com/SOL/image...1590927335.jpg) with
some cold cuts.
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Vilco wrote:
> Giusi wrote:
>
>> Piadina is really like flour tortillas, and my favorite filling is
>> Greek salad ingredients. Tomato, cucumber, onion and kalamata olives
>> with crumbled feta, olive oil and optional Greek yogurt. I grill the
>> piadina before filling and rolling like a wrap.

> I never made them since I live in the area of "gnocco fritto", but when I
> buy them I use to heat them on a non stich pan. First I ready my
> ingredients, then heat one side, turn the piadina and start putting on my
> topping / filling while the down side heats. Reached the right heat I ply
> the piadina in two and it's ready to serve.
> My fav filling: gorgonzola and ham, or spek, or salami, or baloney... But
> when I have no zola at home, I just use sottilette (you know, those
> individually packed thin slices of mistery cheese
> http://www.spesaonline.com/SOL/image...1590927335.jpg) with
> some cold cuts.

Ahhh, no calorie problems up there, I see. I don't use a non-stick, but
a large SS pan and they don't stick! If I am making something melty,
agreed, build it in the pan. But the Greek salad one is better not melted.

One nice ingredient here is the piccante olive paste by Madama Oliva. I
think that would sell well in the USA.

I almost never wrap meats in any of these because I don't need the extra
calories, and never Sottiletti! My Italian cooking friend says I am a
food snob when it comes to the generic melty slices.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:

> I almost never wrap meats in any of these because I don't need the
> extra calories, and never Sottiletti! My Italian cooking friend says
> I am a food snob when it comes to the generic melty slices.

Me too, but someone continues buying them, so when I'm for a piada and
there's no zola... ouch
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

pamjd wrote:
> I am planning a silly and fun "Roll your own dinner party" for a few
> friends. I am thinking wraps or pocket breads, maybe crepes along
> with a variety of things to roll into dinner. I would like to provide
> bowls of ingredients and let people grill them up as they like on the
> griddle of my gas grill on the deck.
> Anyone know any fun and creative combination ideas to share. I am
> thinking moo shu porkish, steak strip taco things, sliced veggies? I
> figured you all would have some yummy and fun ideas. Thanks in
> advance.

Slice the meats thin. Grill them quickly to sear on both sides. They
should be thin enough to cook thoroughly with this treatment. Offer as
sauces:

Hommous- Make it a tad thinner by adding water. This one's a sauce, not
a dip.

Yogurt, plain and with grated cucumber.

Lemon, Olive oil, garlic, oregano.

Bechamel with added cheese. (Someone remind me of what that one's called.)

Also offer:

Shredded lettuce, carrots, and cabbage. Chunks of cucumber are nice.

As a side, ratatouille is good. Ratatouille is all in the news these
days. (Zucchini, eggplant, red and green peppers, onion, tomato sauce,
all stewed together.) This one is great in a crepe or pita bread.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 08:33:45 -0400, Julia Altshuler
> wrote:

>Bechamel with added cheese. (Someone remind me of what that one's called.)

Mornay, especially if the cheese is a Swiss or Gruyere cheese. At
least I think that is the case.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 08:33:45 -0400, Julia Altshuler
> wrote:

>As a side, ratatouille is good.

There is so much talk about rataouille these days... a character in an
upcoming children's movie.

I make it and serve it with rice.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi > wrote:

> It sounds like fun to me. There are three Italian (at least) versions
> of this kind of food that you can search on, too. Tigelle, Crescentine
> and Piadina. Unfortunately, Italians eat them with a fork and knife,
> but when they aren't around I use my hands. Locally we have torta al
> testo, but I find little difference to crescentina.

Add the Ligurian testaieu, frisceu, and farinata.

Victor