Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Regular Cabbage For Kim Chi...???

So anyways cabbage was on sale for 19 cents/lb at my local stupormarket and
in my slathering excitement I bought like four big heads of the stuff...

So I'm wondering what to do with it, and my thoughts turned to kim chi...

Most all recipes for this that I've perused call for Napa cabbage but would
regular cabbage be an okay substitute...???

IMWTK

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-10-03, Gregory Morrow > wrote:

> Most all recipes for this that I've perused call for Napa cabbage but would
> regular cabbage be an okay substitute...???

No. Hope you like coleslaw.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 3, 2:54*pm, "Gregory Morrow" > wrote:
> notbob wrote:
> > On 2009-10-03, Gregory Morrow > wrote:

> >> Most all recipes for this that I've perused call for Napa cabbage
> >> but would regular cabbage be an okay substitute...???

> > No. *Hope you like coleslaw. *

> Lol...okay then, it's just as I thought. *I'm tired of coleslaw so I guess
> I'll make a LOT of cabbage soup, etc...I also like cabbage just cooked
> plain.

Bah! Don't listen to notbob. Kim Chi your regular cabbage and let us
know how it turns out!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> On 2009-10-03, Gregory Morrow > wrote:
>
>> Most all recipes for this that I've perused call for Napa cabbage
>> but would regular cabbage be an okay substitute...???

> No. Hope you like coleslaw.

Lol...okay then, it's just as I thought. I'm tired of coleslaw so I guess
I'll make a LOT of cabbage soup, etc...I also like cabbage just cooked
plain.

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gregory Morrow wrote:

> notbob wrote:
>
> > On 2009-10-03, Gregory Morrow > wrote:
> >
> >> Most all recipes for this that I've perused call for Napa cabbage
> >> but would regular cabbage be an okay substitute...???

> > No. Hope you like coleslaw.

> Lol...okay then, it's just as I thought. I'm tired of coleslaw so I guess
> I'll make a LOT of cabbage soup, etc...I also like cabbage just cooked
> plain.

What's wrong with sauerkraut?

I saw some travel show, and they were in Germany
and a man was selling sauerkraut from a big barrel
at a fair or something. I don't remember whether the
man was just relating a story or whether the incident
happened on camera, but some woman asked him "what's
this?" and his comment was that it is the end
of civilization when a German does not recognize
sauerkraut.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:

> Gregory Morrow wrote:
>>
>> notbob wrote:

>>> No. Hope you like coleslaw.

>> Lol...okay then, it's just as I thought. I'm tired of coleslaw so I
>> guess I'll make a LOT of cabbage soup, etc...I also like cabbage
>> just cooked plain.

> What's wrong with sauerkraut?
>
> I saw some travel show, and they were in Germany
> and a man was selling sauerkraut from a big barrel
> at a fair or something. I don't remember whether the
> man was just relating a story or whether the incident
> happened on camera, but some woman asked him "what's
> this?" and his comment was that it is the end
> of civilization when a German does not recognize
> sauerkraut.

I can get pretty good kraut very cheap at some of the Polish stores here in
Chicawgo, but we are having an "Oktoberfest" cookout soon and so I might try
my hand at making it. A number of my pals are of Polish background and I
know they'd appreciate the effort...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gregory Morrow" wrote

> Most all recipes for this that I've perused call for Napa cabbage but
> would
> regular cabbage be an okay substitute...???

Irrelevant. They use all types from Nappa, to head, to Bok Choy in Korea.
Normally it's a mix of them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 3 Oct 2009 15:07:58 -0500, "Gregory Morrow"
> wrote:

>Mark Thorson wrote:
>
>> Gregory Morrow wrote:

>>> Lol...okay then, it's just as I thought. I'm tired of coleslaw so I
>>> guess I'll make a LOT of cabbage soup, etc...I also like cabbage
>>> just cooked plain.

>> What's wrong with sauerkraut?
>>
>> I saw some travel show, and they were in Germany
>> and a man was selling sauerkraut from a big barrel
>> at a fair or something. I don't remember whether the
>> man was just relating a story or whether the incident
>> happened on camera, but some woman asked him "what's
>> this?" and his comment was that it is the end
>> of civilization when a German does not recognize
>> sauerkraut.

>I can get pretty good kraut very cheap at some of the Polish stores here in
>Chicawgo, but we are having an "Oktoberfest" cookout soon and so I might try
>my hand at making it. A number of my pals are of Polish background and I
>know they'd appreciate the effort...

Cabbage can be frozen and cooked later... wait'll winter sets in and
use two heads to make a huge pot of flanken-cabbage soup/stuffed
cabbage and all in the same pot... and then if it's too much you can
freeze those leftovers into portions. Another way to use up a lot of
cabbage is to rough shred and fry it in butter and then add cooked
wide egg noodles and fry some more... or fry up a big panful of
kielbasa and add shredded cabbage and fry some more. Four heads isn't
a lot, cabbage volume cooks down to less than half. And there is no
reason you can't quarter the heads and freeze them, then come St
Paddys you can dump them into the pot with the taters, carrots, and
corned beef. For me the best part of cabbage is the heart, cut out
the core, trim away the bitter outer portion and chow down on the
sweet middle... the very inner baseball sized portion is supper sweet
too... if you sleep alone you can fillet all four heads and enjoy
their innards with a salt shaker and a six pack.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Oct 3, 2:56 pm, brooklyn1 > wrote:
> [snips]
> For me the best part of cabbage is the heart, cut out
> the core, trim away the bitter outer portion and chow down on the
> sweet middle... the very inner baseball sized portion is supper sweet
> too... if you sleep alone you can fillet all four heads and enjoy
> their innards with a salt shaker and a six pack.

"If you sleep alone," the true secret to enjoying a lot of cabbage.
lol, good one. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

It's the spices that make Kim Chi, not the type of cabbage, although Napa
is the best for me... :-)

You might want to experiment with the cut - shredding a regular cabbage may
not be very Kim Chi like....

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> "Gregory Morrow" wrote
>
>> Most all recipes for this that I've perused call for Napa cabbage but
>> would
>> regular cabbage be an okay substitute...???

> Irrelevant. They use all types from Nappa, to head, to Bok Choy in Korea.
> Normally it's a mix of them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 3 Oct 2009 14:39:50 -0500, Gregory Morrow wrote:

> So anyways cabbage was on sale for 19 cents/lb at my local stupormarket and
> in my slathering excitement I bought like four big heads of the stuff...
>
> So I'm wondering what to do with it, and my thoughts turned to kim chi...
>
> Most all recipes for this that I've perused call for Napa cabbage but would
> regular cabbage be an okay substitute...???
>
> IMWTK

it will be a little different, but regular green cabbage is fine for
kimchi.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"grossbea" wrote:

>It's the spices that make Kim Chi, not the type of cabbage, although Napa
>is the best for me... :-)
>
>You might want to experiment with the cut - shredding a regular cabbage may
>not be very Kim Chi like....

I think napa is too tender and green head cabbage too tough... for kim
chi I'd use savoy. However I don't think it really matters, doesn't
even need to be cabbage, mustard/turnip greens would work well too.
There are many oriental vegetable varieties rarely seen in American
markets, one year I planted mustard greens that grew into a romaine
lettuce looking plant over five feet tall, a mild mustard flavor that
made a very good salad with an oriental dressing, its lower firm/crisp
portions would make excellent kim chi, although I used it diced for
soup. I don't think the Koreans in Korea use the kind of cabbage we
find in the US. The roofing guy I used on Lung Guyland was Korean,
his wife made kim chi that he brought with his lunch, I tried it and
found it very tasty, a little too spicy for my taste but had a perfect
texture. He could only tell me the Korean names of the ingredients.
Kuang S. Mun didn't speak much Engrish... he pronounced roof "roop".

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> On Sat, 3 Oct 2009 14:39:50 -0500, Gregory Morrow wrote:
>
>> So anyways cabbage was on sale for 19 cents/lb at my local
>> stupormarket and in my slathering excitement I bought like four big
>> heads of the stuff...
>>
>> So I'm wondering what to do with it, and my thoughts turned to kim
>> chi...
>>
>> Most all recipes for this that I've perused call for Napa cabbage
>> but would regular cabbage be an okay substitute...???
>>
>> IMWTK

> it will be a little different, but regular green cabbage is fine for
> kimchi.

Thank you, blake...the only thing is I don't have a place to bury the crock
or a balcony on which to "over-winter" the stuff so it "ferments", but I'll
make do.

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

brooklyn1 wrote:

> On Sat, 3 Oct 2009 15:07:58 -0500, "Gregory Morrow"
> > wrote:
>
>> Mark Thorson wrote:

>>> What's wrong with sauerkraut?
>>>
>>> I saw some travel show, and they were in Germany
>>> and a man was selling sauerkraut from a big barrel
>>> at a fair or something. I don't remember whether the
>>> man was just relating a story or whether the incident
>>> happened on camera, but some woman asked him "what's
>>> this?" and his comment was that it is the end
>>> of civilization when a German does not recognize
>>> sauerkraut.

>> I can get pretty good kraut very cheap at some of the Polish stores
>> here in Chicawgo, but we are having an "Oktoberfest" cookout soon
>> and so I might try my hand at making it. A number of my pals are of
>> Polish background and I know they'd appreciate the effort...

> Cabbage can be frozen and cooked later... wait'll winter sets in and
> use two heads to make a huge pot of flanken-cabbage soup/stuffed
> cabbage and all in the same pot... and then if it's too much you can
> freeze those leftovers into portions. Another way to use up a lot of
> cabbage is to rough shred and fry it in butter and then add cooked
> wide egg noodles and fry some more... or fry up a big panful of
> kielbasa and add shredded cabbage and fry some more. Four heads isn't
> a lot, cabbage volume cooks down to less than half. And there is no
> reason you can't quarter the heads and freeze them, then come St
> Paddys you can dump them into the pot with the taters, carrots, and
> corned beef. For me the best part of cabbage is the heart, cut out
> the core, trim away the bitter outer portion and chow down on the
> sweet middle... the very inner baseball sized portion is supper sweet
> too... if you sleep alone you can fillet all four heads and enjoy
> their innards with a salt shaker and a six pack.

I forgot about being able to freeze cabbage, thanks...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 4 Oct 2009 15:55:30 -0500, Gregory Morrow wrote:

> blake murphy wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 3 Oct 2009 14:39:50 -0500, Gregory Morrow wrote:
>>
>>> So anyways cabbage was on sale for 19 cents/lb at my local
>>> stupormarket and in my slathering excitement I bought like four big
>>> heads of the stuff...
>>>
>>> So I'm wondering what to do with it, and my thoughts turned to kim
>>> chi...
>>>
>>> Most all recipes for this that I've perused call for Napa cabbage
>>> but would regular cabbage be an okay substitute...???
>>>
>>> IMWTK

>> it will be a little different, but regular green cabbage is fine for
>> kimchi.

> Thank you, blake...the only thing is I don't have a place to bury the crock
> or a balcony on which to "over-winter" the stuff so it "ferments", but I'll
> make do.

well, some koreans have a specialized appliance, almost like a mini-wine
cellar, to control temperature and whatnot.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kimchi_refrigerator>

....i'm sure you can make do.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gregory Morrow wrote:
> So anyways cabbage was on sale for 19 cents/lb at my local stupormarket and
> in my slathering excitement I bought like four big heads of the stuff...
>
> So I'm wondering what to do with it, and my thoughts turned to kim chi...
>
> Most all recipes for this that I've perused call for Napa cabbage but would
> regular cabbage be an okay substitute...???
>
> IMWTK

The commercially made kimchee in Hawaii comes in in head cabbage,
Chinese cabbage and bok choy plus cucumber. I like the regular cabbage
version over the Chinese cabbage most if the time. My favorite is the
cucumber.

OTOH, most of the folks over here don't like the real Korean kimchee -
unless they're Korean. That stuff is pretty hardcore. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> well, some koreans have a specialized appliance, almost like a mini-wine
> cellar, to control temperature and whatnot.

The Koreans do this to keep the kimchee separate from the other foods
because real kimchee stinks awful bad. My in-laws had a kimchee
refrigerator in their spare bedroom. It was not one of those Mickey
Mouse little dinky ones but a full-size.

When I first saw this, I said to my future wife "Hey look, there's a
refrigerator in this bedroom" which means "Hey, I thought your family
had a few bats in its belfry, this pretty much confirms it."

Of course, to a Korean, it makes perfect sense.