Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dried, smoked herring

I know these salty fillets are bar snacks, but they seem to packaged
to be more.
Any idea how to use them other than as VERY salty, boney snacks? -
Mike

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 2, 12:38*pm, Michael Horowitz > wrote:
> I know these salty fillets are bar snacks, but they seem to packaged
> to be more.
> Any idea how to use them other than as VERY salty, boney snacks? -
> Mike

on Pizza.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael Horowitz wrote:
> I know these salty fillets are bar snacks, but they seem to packaged
> to be more.
> Any idea how to use them other than as VERY salty, boney snacks? -
> Mike

I would guess any recipe that called for anchovy you could sub them in
(accounting for flavor/strength of course). I've never used them dried,
but love them pickled. OTOH, I like the stronger anchovies dissolved
into a pasta sauce, or occasionally on a pizza.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael Horowitz wrote:

> I know these salty fillets are bar snacks, but they seem to packaged
> to be more.
> Any idea how to use them other than as VERY salty, boney snacks? -
> Mike

http://www.greekinternetmarket.com/recipes/herring.php, but it's still
a salty snack.

Or try any recipe that uses salt cod, such as brandade morue.