Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Have any of you dried freezing cooked dried beans?

It's hard to make a small pot of beans. And I love them but it would also
be nice to save them for another day. I've got some pinto beans and Boston
baked beans in my frig and was wondering if they can be frozen?

Marc

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Marc" > wrote in message
link.net...
> It's hard to make a small pot of beans. And I love them but it would also
> be nice to save them for another day. I've got some pinto beans and
> Boston baked beans in my frig and was wondering if they can be frozen?
>
> Marc

Yes, they freeze very well.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Marc" > wrote in message
link.net...
> It's hard to make a small pot of beans. And I love them but it would also
> be nice to save them for another day. I've got some pinto beans and
> Boston baked beans in my frig and was wondering if they can be frozen?
>
> Marc

Yep. I do it all the time, cooking them by the pound and freezing any
leftovers. Not only do they freeze well, but it's handy to have a batch or
two in the freezer when you haven't time to soak and cok.

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Mar 19, 7:06 am, "Marc" > wrote:
> It's hard to make a small pot of beans. And I love them but it would also
> be nice to save them for another day. I've got some pinto beans and Boston
> baked beans in my frig and was wondering if they can be frozen?

They will suffer a slight loss of texture when you thaw and reheat
them but other than that I know of no problem freezing them. With
pintos the loss of texture doesn't matter if you make refried beans
out of them. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet B. wrote:
> "Marc" > wrote in message
> link.net...
>> It's hard to make a small pot of beans. And I love them but it would also
>> be nice to save them for another day. I've got some pinto beans and
>> Boston baked beans in my frig and was wondering if they can be frozen?
>>
>> Marc

> Yes, they freeze very well.
> Janet

And some bean dishes like refried beans dry great. I smear them on
silpat-like dehydrator sheets and dry them till they crumble. They
reconstitute easily. We take these on backpacking trips and make bean
burritos, warm, tasty and freshly made. Yumm You can turn them into
soup, also, depending on how much water you add back.

Melondy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melondy" > wrote in message
et...
> Janet B. wrote:
>> "Marc" > wrote in message
>> link.net...
>>> It's hard to make a small pot of beans. And I love them but it would
>>> also be nice to save them for another day. I've got some pinto beans
>>> and Boston baked beans in my frig and was wondering if they can be
>>> frozen?
>>>
>>> Marc

>> Yes, they freeze very well.
>> Janet

> And some bean dishes like refried beans dry great. I smear them on
> silpat-like dehydrator sheets and dry them till they crumble. They
> reconstitute easily. We take these on backpacking trips and make bean
> burritos, warm, tasty and freshly made. Yumm You can turn them into soup,
> also, depending on how much water you add back.
>
> Melondy

How clever to use them for camping that way!
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Have any of you tried freezing cooked dried beans?

Marc wrote:
> It's hard to make a small pot of beans. And I love them but it would also
> be nice to save them for another day. I've got some pinto beans and Boston
> baked beans in my frig and was wondering if they can be frozen?

Oh, yeah, no problem. I do it all the time.

(but I've also gotten good at making small pots of beans)

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Okay, I just don't see the point. Dried beans are already
shelf-stable, so what is the advantage of cooking then freezing
them? That does seem like a waste of electricity.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Abe wrote:
>>> It's hard to make a small pot of beans. And I love them but it would also
>>> be nice to save them for another day. I've got some pinto beans and Boston
>>> baked beans in my frig and was wondering if they can be frozen?

>> Oh, yeah, no problem. I do it all the time.
>>
>> (but I've also gotten good at making small pots of beans)
>>
>> Serene

> Small issue. Please don't change the topic title (even if it's
> misspelled). It's makes your reply appear outside of the message
> thread.

Not on a decent newsreader, it won't.

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .net>,
"Marc" > wrote:

> It's hard to make a small pot of beans. And I love them but it would also
> be nice to save them for another day. I've got some pinto beans and Boston
> baked beans in my frig and was wondering if they can be frozen?
>
> Marc

Bean soup freezes just fine...
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

They freeze great. I like to make beans in my crockpot and then freeze in 2
cup serving sizes for use in recipes.

Lynne

"Marc" > wrote in message
link.net...
> It's hard to make a small pot of beans. And I love them but it would also
> be nice to save them for another day. I've got some pinto beans and
> Boston baked beans in my frig and was wondering if they can be frozen?
>
> Marc

Dried Beans Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 82 18-09-2012 11:07 PM
Re-dried beans Silvar Beitel General Cooking 2 27-03-2010 03:44 PM
Freezing dried porcini Richard Green General Cooking 10 22-02-2005 03:01 AM
Dried Beans The Cook Preserving 8 02-09-2004 04:10 AM
Dried Soy Beans PalmaG72 Vegetarian cooking 5 09-07-2004 09:41 AM