Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Marinated cucumbers

My cucs have arrived. Big, beautiful and yellow. I ate one and it was
almost a whole meal in itself. Almost makes the tomato disaster tolerable.

At one time I had this delightful marinated cucumber dish. It was basically
sweet white rice vinegar and some tarragon and something else(s) I could not
place.

Anyone have a recipe that sounds similar?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 14:48:56 -0700, Paul M. Cook wrote:

> My cucs have arrived. Big, beautiful and yellow. I ate one and it was
> almost a whole meal in itself. Almost makes the tomato disaster tolerable.
>
> At one time I had this delightful marinated cucumber dish. It was basically
> sweet white rice vinegar and some tarragon and something else(s) I could not
> place.
>
> Anyone have a recipe that sounds similar?

Yellow cucumbers, peeled and sliced. Rice vinegar, 1 TB per cuke.
2 TSP fresh tarragon. And a small dose of PMC (that's you, Sugar).

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 14:48:56 -0700, Paul M. Cook wrote:
>
>> My cucs have arrived. Big, beautiful and yellow. I ate one and it was
>> almost a whole meal in itself. Almost makes the tomato disaster
>> tolerable.
>>
>> At one time I had this delightful marinated cucumber dish. It was
>> basically
>> sweet white rice vinegar and some tarragon and something else(s) I could
>> not
>> place.
>>
>> Anyone have a recipe that sounds similar?

> Yellow cucumbers, peeled and sliced. Rice vinegar, 1 TB per cuke.
> 2 TSP fresh tarragon. And a small dose of PMC (that's you, Sugar).

I always find a large dose makes the dish. But as I recall it had sugar in
it, probably sugar water I am thinking. There was somehting else, though -
I could nevr place it. Maybe a drop or two of sesame oil?

Paul
> -sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Paul M. Cook wrote:
> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 14:48:56 -0700, Paul M. Cook wrote:
>>
>>> My cucs have arrived. Big, beautiful and yellow. I ate one and it was
>>> almost a whole meal in itself. Almost makes the tomato disaster
>>> tolerable.
>>>
>>> At one time I had this delightful marinated cucumber dish. It was
>>> basically
>>> sweet white rice vinegar and some tarragon and something else(s) I could
>>> not
>>> place.
>>>
>>> Anyone have a recipe that sounds similar?

>> Yellow cucumbers, peeled and sliced. Rice vinegar, 1 TB per cuke.
>> 2 TSP fresh tarragon. And a small dose of PMC (that's you, Sugar).
>>

> I always find a large dose makes the dish. But as I recall it had sugar in
> it, probably sugar water I am thinking. There was somehting else, though -
> I could nevr place it. Maybe a drop or two of sesame oil?

There is a nice Chinese side dish of marinated cucumber, 1 cup vinegar,
2 TBS sugar, 1 TBS of sesame oil, and as much red pepper as you care for
for heat and color. Serve chilled.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"MtnTraveler" > wrote in message
om...
> Paul M. Cook wrote:

>>> Yellow cucumbers, peeled and sliced. Rice vinegar, 1 TB per cuke.
>>> 2 TSP fresh tarragon. And a small dose of PMC (that's you, Sugar).
>>>

>> I always find a large dose makes the dish. But as I recall it had sugar
>> in it, probably sugar water I am thinking. There was somehting else,
>> though - I could nevr place it. Maybe a drop or two of sesame oil?

> There is a nice Chinese side dish of marinated cucumber, 1 cup vinegar, 2
> TBS sugar, 1 TBS of sesame oil, and as much red pepper as you care for for
> heat and color. Serve chilled.

Yes, it was ice cold. Definitely had tarragon. I will try this without the
red pepper at first. I don;t recall it being hot. I'll let ya know.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Do you mean marinated ? If so in what.

Steve

<<<Canine Humour for all: www.lovelycolour.com >>>

MtnTraveler wrote:

> There is a nice Chinese side dish of marinated cucumber, 1 cup vinegar,
> 2 TBS sugar, 1 TBS of sesame oil, and as much red pepper as you care for
> for heat and color. Serve chilled.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Paul M. Cook wrote:
> My cucs have arrived. Big, beautiful and yellow. I ate one and it
> was almost a whole meal in itself. Almost makes the tomato disaster
> tolerable.
> At one time I had this delightful marinated cucumber dish. It was
> basically sweet white rice vinegar and some tarragon and something
> else(s) I could not place.
>
> Anyone have a recipe that sounds similar?

Add some dill? (Your cucumbers are yellow?).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

MtnTraveler wrote on Wed, 19 Aug 2009 07:46:13 +0100:

> Paul M. Cook wrote:

>>> Yellow cucumbers, peeled and sliced. Rice vinegar, 1 TB per
>>> cuke. 2 TSP fresh tarragon. And a small dose of PMC (that's
>>> you, Sugar).
>>>

>> I always find a large dose makes the dish. But as I recall
>> it had sugar in it, probably sugar water I am thinking. There was
>> somehting else, though - I could nevr place it. Maybe a drop or two
>> of sesame oil?

There are a lot of Asian marinaded cucumber salads that are basically
the same idea but may differ in detail. Here are two that I like. Note
the use of grated fresh ginger.

Cucumber salad ( Japanese) Sunomono
This is enough for a whole cucumber, sliced thin.
Salt to taste
2 tabs sushi vinegar (sweetened rice vinegar)
Marinate for 1 hour.
Could use rice vinegar + sake or sherry + sugar If necessary.
Another recipe adds grated ginger and that seems a good idea.
Daikon and seaweed can also be used and another recipe uses the
following marinade:
3 tab vinegar
1 tab soy
1 tab sugar
1 tab fish stock

Cucumber salad (Thai)
This is enough for a whole medium cucumber and is similar to the
Japanese one.
¼ tsp salt
1 tab black vinegar (balsamic will do)
2 tsp rice vinegar
1 pinch sugar
¼ tsp minced ginger
Half peel cucumber length wise; in other words, with alternating white
and green. Quarter lengthwise, remove seeds then flatten with cleaver
blade. Cut in two lengthwise then into 1" pieces. Heap in bowl. Dissolve
sugar in vinegar, pour over cucumber then sprinkle salt. Marinade 1 hour
and serve sprinkled with ginger

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"MtnTraveler" prevaricated:

> There is a nice Chinese side dish of marinated cucumber, 1 cup vinegar 2
> TBS sugar 1 TBS of sesame oil

You lying piece of shit.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Paul M. Cook wrote:
> "MtnTraveler" > wrote in message

>> There is a nice Chinese side dish of marinated cucumber, 1 cup vinegar, 2
>> TBS sugar, 1 TBS of sesame oil, and as much red pepper as you care for for
>> heat and color. Serve chilled.

> Yes, it was ice cold. Definitely had tarragon. I will try this without the
> red pepper at first. I don;t recall it being hot. I'll let ya know.

Sorry, I forgot to mention... add about 2TBS of light Chinese soya
sauce. (Do not use Japanese soya sauce for this dish.) Also, if you
like, add a clove or two of garlic, but that is optional. (As if garlic
is EVER optional!)

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Aug 18, 2:48*pm, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
> My cucs have arrived. *Big, beautiful and yellow. *I ate one and it was
> almost a whole meal in itself. *Almost makes the tomato disaster tolerable.
>
> At one time I had this delightful marinated cucumber dish. *It was basically
> sweet white rice vinegar and some tarragon and something else(s) I could not
> place.
>
> Anyone have a recipe that sounds similar?

No, but I have a Chinese spicy cucumber recipe if you're interested.
Chili peppers. Served cold. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dora" > wrote in message
> Paul M. Cook wrote:
>> My cucs have arrived. Big, beautiful and yellow. I ate one and it
>> was almost a whole meal in itself. Almost makes the tomato disaster
>> tolerable.
>> At one time I had this delightful marinated cucumber dish. It was
>> basically sweet white rice vinegar and some tarragon and something
>> else(s) I could not place.
>>
>> Anyone have a recipe that sounds similar?

> Add some dill? (Your cucumbers are yellow?).

Yes, they sure are. Yellow as a tennis ball! I love these. They are an
heirloom variety. Super easy to grow, no problems with bugs or disease so
far and prolific too. I planted 3 vines and they are loaded with fruit now.

http://www.burpee.com/product/code/53561A.do

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Paul M. Cook" > wrote:

> My cucs have arrived. Big, beautiful and yellow. I ate one and it was
> almost a whole meal in itself. Almost makes the tomato disaster tolerable.
>
> At one time I had this delightful marinated cucumber dish. It was basically
> sweet white rice vinegar and some tarragon and something else(s) I could not
> place.
>
> Anyone have a recipe that sounds similar?

White vinegar, sliced onions, maybe a teaspoon of sugar; some salt and
pepper. That's how we like it.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check it out
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 12:42:11 GMT, "James Silverton"
> wrote:

>There are a lot of Asian marinaded cucumber salads that are basically
>the same idea but may differ in detail. Here are two that I like. Note
>the use of grated fresh ginger.
>
>Cucumber salad ( Japanese) Sunomono
>This is enough for a whole cucumber, sliced thin.
>Salt to taste
>2 tabs sushi vinegar (sweetened rice vinegar)
>Marinate for 1 hour.
>Could use rice vinegar + sake or sherry + sugar If necessary.
>Another recipe adds grated ginger and that seems a good idea.
>Daikon and seaweed can also be used and another recipe uses the
>following marinade:
>3 tab vinegar
>1 tab soy
>1 tab sugar
>1 tab fish stock
>
>Cucumber salad (Thai)
>This is enough for a whole medium cucumber and is similar to the
>Japanese one.
>¼ tsp salt
>1 tab black vinegar (balsamic will do)
>2 tsp rice vinegar
>1 pinch sugar
>¼ tsp minced ginger
>Half peel cucumber length wise; in other words, with alternating white
>and green. Quarter lengthwise, remove seeds then flatten with cleaver
>blade. Cut in two lengthwise then into 1" pieces. Heap in bowl. Dissolve
>sugar in vinegar, pour over cucumber then sprinkle salt. Marinade 1 hour
>and serve sprinkled with ginger

Thanks for these! I've got one along those lines that includes ginger
syrup served with sesame seeds. I haven't made it yet but it sure
sounds tasty.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default "Lemon" cucumbers (was Marinated cucumbers)

Paul wrote:

> Yes, they sure are. Yellow as a tennis ball! I love these. They are an
> heirloom variety. Super easy to grow, no problems with bugs or disease so
> far and prolific too. I planted 3 vines and they are loaded with fruit
> now.
>
> http://www.burpee.com/product/code/53561A.do

We get lemon cucumbers in our CSA box regularly, but I don't care for them
all that much. The seeds are quite large in comparison to other cucumber
varieties, and there's not all that much flesh to them.

Still, they work fine for infusing vodka!

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
> Paul wrote:
>
>> Yes, they sure are. Yellow as a tennis ball! I love these. They are an
>> heirloom variety. Super easy to grow, no problems with bugs or disease
>> so
>> far and prolific too. I planted 3 vines and they are loaded with fruit
>> now.
>>
>> http://www.burpee.com/product/code/53561A.do

> We get lemon cucumbers in our CSA box regularly, but I don't care for them
> all that much. The seeds are quite large in comparison to other cucumber
> varieties, and there's not all that much flesh to them.
>
> Still, they work fine for infusing vodka!

Interestiung - the one I ate yesterday was great. It was sweeter than most
cucumbers and had a very thick flesh. I'd say the seeds were the same size
as other varietes. And no gas, these were gasless cucs which surprised me
cause I always get the belches after eating them.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 10:20:43 -0700, Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> Paul wrote:
>
>> Yes, they sure are. Yellow as a tennis ball! I love these. They are an
>> heirloom variety. Super easy to grow, no problems with bugs or disease so
>> far and prolific too. I planted 3 vines and they are loaded with fruit
>> now.
>>
>> http://www.burpee.com/product/code/53561A.do

> We get lemon cucumbers in our CSA box regularly, but I don't care for them
> all that much. The seeds are quite large in comparison to other cucumber
> varieties, and there's not all that much flesh to them.
>
> Still, they work fine for infusing vodka!
>
> Bob

i don't think i've even *heard* of lemon cucumbers, let alone seen them.
are they the size of a lemon, or a little bigger?

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
.. .
> On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 10:20:43 -0700, Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>
>> Paul wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, they sure are. Yellow as a tennis ball! I love these. They are
>>> an
>>> heirloom variety. Super easy to grow, no problems with bugs or disease
>>> so
>>> far and prolific too. I planted 3 vines and they are loaded with fruit
>>> now.
>>>
>>> http://www.burpee.com/product/code/53561A.do

>> We get lemon cucumbers in our CSA box regularly, but I don't care for
>> them
>> all that much. The seeds are quite large in comparison to other cucumber
>> varieties, and there's not all that much flesh to them.
>>
>> Still, they work fine for infusing vodka!
>>
>> Bob

> i don't think i've even *heard* of lemon cucumbers, let alone seen them.
> are they the size of a lemon, or a little bigger?

Yes.

Paul

BIG CUCUMBERS VS SMALL CUCUMBERS Colonel Edmund J. Burke[_13_] General Cooking 2 11-05-2016 04:29 PM
Cucumbers . . . . ?? Sky General Cooking 39 13-08-2012 01:44 PM
Cucumbers - can anything be done with dried cucumbers? Jim[_25_] Preserving 15 08-06-2012 07:48 PM
Cucumbers z z General Cooking 16 30-05-2012 02:13 PM
Coconut and Macadamia Fried Shrimp with Marinated Cucumbers Preston Pittman Recipes (moderated) 0 06-03-2006 11:49 AM