Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Had dinner at Outback Steakhouse

On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 22:32:05 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:

> Kalmia wrote:
>> On Jul 25, 7:49 pm, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
>>> We haven't been there in a really long time, decided to head over
>>> there after attending the county fair. Shared a blooming onion and I
>>> ordered a roasted beef filet with port sauce and mushrooms.

>> I've been in an OS once, but not being a beef lover, I found little
>> else to choose from. I think there was one shrimp dish on the menu
>> and maybe one chicken. I went with a group, no knowing what to
>> expect.

> I thought there were a number of chicken and shrimp dishes, but
> I really didn't pay attention as I was looking for steak. Looked up
> the menu, they have a variety of foods, but maybe all menus are not the
> same. I had to put in my zip to find the menu for the place I visited.
>
>> I hear that blooming onion is a cardiologist's nightmare, no?

> Aside from being an onion, this is not health food. Each one is plenty
> for at least 4 people. I think anyone eating one by themselves would
> be a Bad Idea. Heh. It's like anything else, too much is too much.
>
> nancy

the dipping sauce for the onion has a nice little zip to it.

yourpal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 20:45:56 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:

>> If I was in a booth, I really wouldn't care. We sat at the bar,
>> though, and this woman came in and sat rightnexttome. I had a hard
>> time cutting my steak, then I was picking my beans off my plate with
>> my fingers. Sorry, lady. My manners suck tonight.

> not to worry. it's unlikely the lady at the outback was the queen of
> england.

Well, one function of table manners is to avoid icking out the people
who are around you. I am not icked by eating green beans with ones
fingers, but maybe other people might be. Oh, well.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 06:19:06 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe wrote:
>
>> On Jul 26, 4:30 am, Andy > wrote:
>>> sf said...

>>> Friends, the ex and I used to invade the Beverly Hills Mortons. The
>>> steaks
>>> were served floating in a pool of melted butter. Delicious every
>>> possible
>>> way.
>>>
>>> Andy

>> Ugh! Saturated fat heaven! Best thing in the world to accelerate
>> atherosclerosis!
>>
>> John Kuthe...

> at least you die licking your lips.

There should be a dick in there. No, seriously. Look at that line. I thought
I saw a dick.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

At Outback, I have never ordered a steak. My children have ordered
them, but I am not much of a steak person. I am in the mood, or I am
not. I have ordered tuna, shrimp, lamb, salmon, lobster, BBQ ribs, ribs
& chicken combo (was called Drover's Platter).

What I like about Outback, is the Bloomin' Onion and the dip that comes
with it. I also like their bread. <drool> I have not been to Outback in
a couple of years, the last time I was staying in a hotel - I believe
in Florida.

Oooh, one day 6 of us ladies went to Outback, we ordered desserts and we
passed them around the table. Yum, heavenly.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca said...

> At Outback, I have never ordered a steak. My children have ordered
> them, but I am not much of a steak person. I am in the mood, or I am
> not. I have ordered tuna, shrimp, lamb, salmon, lobster, BBQ ribs, ribs
> & chicken combo (was called Drover's Platter).
>

> What I like about Outback, is the Bloomin' Onion and the dip that comes
> with it. I also like their bread. <drool> I have not been to Outback in
> a couple of years, the last time I was staying in a hotel - I believe
> in Florida.
>

> Oooh, one day 6 of us ladies went to Outback, we ordered desserts and we
> passed them around the table. Yum, heavenly.
>

> Becca

Becca,

There are onion "blossom" makers to make your own. You'd be on your own for
the dip, though.

They LOOK great.

Best,

Andy
--
I'm no longer a danger to society.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 17:03:58 -0700, sf wrote:
>

>>On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 19:49:54 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> wrote:
>>

>>>We haven't been there in a really long time,

>>Believe it or not, I've never been to one. I just noticed yesterday
>>there's one is located less than 10 miles from me. When did that one
>>pop up? I'll get to it one of these days and see what all the hooha
>>is about.

> i like the blooming onion and i think they do a good job on the steaks.
> the salads aren't much. it's pretty good value for the money.

The trick is for you and your friend to ONLY order the blooming onion,
along with your Foster's(s). You arrive off peak hours, eat/drink up,
vacate the table, pay your bill and leave an appropriate tip.

I already know how to bake a potato and cook a steak, thank you. This
way we all end up happy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
"Nancy Young" > posted:

> We haven't been there in a really long time, decided to head over there
> after attending the county fair. Shared a blooming onion and I ordered
> a roasted beef filet with port sauce and mushrooms. Now that I think
> about it, I don't remember seeing any mushrooms.

Last time my friend and I ate at the Outback Steakhouse, he ordered a
bloomin' onion, seemingly his favorite appetizer, and the waiter came out
and remarked about our honor of getting the most beautiful one they had
fried that day. After he left, I remarked to my roommate about how it was
the most disgusting one I'd ever tasted. It was like a wad of grease with
the juice cooked out of the onion to the point that it was basically
breaded onion skins dripping with grease. I ate maybe five petals before
deciding none of it was fit to eat.

Damaeus
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damaeus" > wrote in message
> Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
> "Nancy Young" > posted:
>
>> We haven't been there in a really long time, decided to head over there
>> after attending the county fair. Shared a blooming onion and I ordered
>> a roasted beef filet with port sauce and mushrooms. Now that I think
>> about it, I don't remember seeing any mushrooms.

> Last time my friend and I ate at the Outback Steakhouse, he ordered a
> bloomin' onion, seemingly his favorite appetizer, and the waiter came out
> and remarked about our honor of getting the most beautiful one they had
> fried that day. After he left, I remarked to my roommate about how it was
> the most disgusting one I'd ever tasted. It was like a wad of grease with
> the juice cooked out of the onion to the point that it was basically
> breaded onion skins dripping with grease. I ate maybe five petals before
> deciding none of it was fit to eat.

It's a suckass thing to do to a nice onion anyway. They sold them at the
July 4th celebration here in Raleigh, NC.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
sf > posted:

> On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 19:49:54 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> > wrote:
>
> >We haven't been there in a really long time,

> Believe it or not, I've never been to one. I just noticed yesterday
> there's one is located less than 10 miles from me. When did that one
> pop up? I'll get to it one of these days and see what all the hooha
> is about.

Well, if you want your meat well done, I'd suggest asking them to burn it.
I ordered mine well done and got it back with so much pink in the middle
it ****ed me off. I ate around the edges what was done, and I took the
rest home, sauteed it in a pan with a little butter and worchestershire
sauce, and ate it as leftovers. I enjoyed it more at home than I did at
the restaurant.

I've heard that some of these steakhouses have arrogant cooks who think
they know what's best. Some think well done meat is ruined meat, and
since they don't want to serve ruined meat, asking for well done meat does
no good. You'll get it a little rare, whether you want it that way or
not. I think they're full of crap. I don't like raw meat. Period. I
wouldn't want medium rare tacos. I don't want medium rare filet mignon.

So the next time I order, I'm going to have to be very firm with the
waiter and say, "Look, I want this very well done. If I cut into it and
find any pink whatsover, I'm sending this $23 cut of meat back to be
cooked until it's done. Tell the cook(*) to cook it as if *I* am going to
eat it, not as if *he* is going to eat it."

(*) I say cook as opposed to chef. Probably the only chef working for
Outback is in corporate. They just hire cooks in the restaurants to
follow the directions dictated by the chef, who you'd think would be
headquartered in Australia, but no, corporate is in Florida.

Damaeus
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
"Nancy Young" > posted:

> We haven't been there in a really long time, decided to head over there
> after attending the county fair. Shared a blooming onion and I ordered
> a roasted beef filet with port sauce and mushrooms. Now that I think
> about it, I don't remember seeing any mushrooms.

Here's the rundown on that item, probably comparable to Chili's Awesome
Blossom, now discontinued, I've read. The link contains a list of the 20
worst foods:

=================
http://eatthis.menshealth.com/articl...er-288=&page=1

2. Worst Starter

Chili's Awesome Blossom

2,710 calories
203 g fat
194 g carbs
6,360 mg sodium

It takes a special talent to turn a single oversized onion into the fat
equivalent of 67 slices of bacon, but the line cooks at Chili's manage
this horrific feat with the help of a thick batter, a calorie-loaded
dipping sauce, and a vat of bubbling fat.

Sidestep the Calorie Surge: Order a few skewers of lean Garlic & Lime
Grilled Shrimp from the sides menu. It's one of the decent ways to start a
meal at Chili's.
=================

Damaeus

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
"Nancy Young" > posted:

> I really don't know if you'll like it. They have a nice rack of lamb, if
> you like that.
>
> Anyway, the place was hopping! People were piled up waiting for a
> table. What recession? Yikes.

People gotta eat. Besides, I've found that the local Mexican restaurant
here brings so much food out that I can make 3-4 meals out of one entree
that costs $12.99. The chips and dips starters are free. My friend and I
pound those down and by the time the entrees come, we're not hungry
anymore. I'll eat a little rice and part of an enchilada, or just the
taco if mine came with one, and get a takeout box for the rest.
Unfortunately they halved the size of their take-out containers, so I have
to ask for two or I end up with a thick Mexican casserole.

I suppose they halved the size when they saw many people only had a couple
of enchiladas to take home. But I don't like leaving the place feeling
like I've eaten until the food comes up to my neck, so I stop before I get
that full.

Damaeus
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damaeus" > wrote in message
> Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
> sf > posted:
>
>> On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 19:49:54 -0400, "Nancy Young"
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >We haven't been there in a really long time,

>> Believe it or not, I've never been to one. I just noticed yesterday
>> there's one is located less than 10 miles from me. When did that one
>> pop up? I'll get to it one of these days and see what all the hooha
>> is about.

> Well, if you want your meat well done, I'd suggest asking them to burn it.
> I ordered mine well done and got it back with so much pink in the middle
> it ****ed me off.

They do not cook steaks well done. They will TELL you that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 12:15:18 -0400, blake murphy
> wrote:

>i like the blooming onion and i think they do a good job on the steaks.
>the salads aren't much.

I can only say that if I wanted a salad, Outback isn't the first
place that pops into my mind.

>it's pretty good value for the money.

I should google an Outback menu. We have a local chain called
Cattlemen's that I like a lot, but I have to travel over bridges and
the better part of an hour to get to one.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> "Damaeus" > wrote in message
>> Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
>> sf > posted:
>>
>>> On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 19:49:54 -0400, "Nancy Young"

>>> Believe it or not, I've never been to one. I just noticed yesterday
>>> there's one is located less than 10 miles from me. When did that one
>>> pop up? I'll get to it one of these days and see what all the hooha
>>> is about.

>> Well, if you want your meat well done, I'd suggest asking them to burn it.
>> I ordered mine well done and got it back with so much pink in the middle
>> it ****ed me off.

> They do not cook steaks well done. They will TELL you that.

That is of course, if you did ask for it that way. At all other times,
you've a 50% chance of receiving that $23 cut in exactly that state of
rigor of death (leather like)and gray through-out.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Becca said...
>
>> At Outback, I have never ordered a steak. My children have ordered
>> them, but I am not much of a steak person. I am in the mood, or I am
>> not. I have ordered tuna, shrimp, lamb, salmon, lobster, BBQ ribs, ribs
>> & chicken combo (was called Drover's Platter).
>>

>> What I like about Outback, is the Bloomin' Onion and the dip that comes
>> with it. I also like their bread. <drool> I have not been to Outback in
>> a couple of years, the last time I was staying in a hotel - I believe
>> in Florida.
>>

>> Oooh, one day 6 of us ladies went to Outback, we ordered desserts and we
>> passed them around the table. Yum, heavenly.
>>

>> Becca

> Becca,
>
> There are onion "blossom" makers to make your own. You'd be on your own for
> the dip, though.
>
> They LOOK great.
>
> Best,
>
> Andy

You can even make a similar 4500 calorie batter and oil soaked blossom
with sauce, duplicated from the copycat resources on the Inet.

I tried the original at OS, loved it, then saw the calorie/sodium
numbers and decided the body didn't need that.

And Andy.. they not only *look* good, they *taste* great.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote in message

>> Well, if you want your meat well done, I'd suggest asking them to burn
>> it.
>> I ordered mine well done and got it back with so much pink in the middle
>> it ****ed me off.

> They do not cook steaks well done. They will TELL you that.

They should, if requested. Some places warn about and will not be
responsible for tenderness of well done steaks but will do them to order.
If the customer is willing to pay, he should be able to get what he wants.
I don't like them either, but if that is what my guest wants, that is how
they will be cooked.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Muncie said...

> Andy wrote:
>> Becca said...
>>
>>> At Outback, I have never ordered a steak. My children have ordered
>>> them, but I am not much of a steak person. I am in the mood, or I am
>>> not. I have ordered tuna, shrimp, lamb, salmon, lobster, BBQ ribs,
>>> ribs & chicken combo (was called Drover's Platter).
>>>

>>> What I like about Outback, is the Bloomin' Onion and the dip that
>>> comes with it. I also like their bread. <drool> I have not been to
>>> Outback in a couple of years, the last time I was staying in a hotel
>>> - I believe in Florida.
>>>

>>> Oooh, one day 6 of us ladies went to Outback, we ordered desserts and
>>> we passed them around the table. Yum, heavenly.
>>>

>>> Becca

>> Becca,
>>
>> There are onion "blossom" makers to make your own. You'd be on your own
>> for the dip, though.
>>
>> They LOOK great.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Andy

> You can even make a similar 4500 calorie batter and oil soaked blossom
> with sauce, duplicated from the copycat resources on the Inet.
>
> I tried the original at OS, loved it, then saw the calorie/sodium
> numbers and decided the body didn't need that.
>
> And Andy.. they not only *look* good, they *taste* great.
>
> Bob

They sure must!

As much as I've heard about them, after all these years, I've never tried
one.

Best,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 15:47:55 -0400, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>It's a suckass thing to do to a nice onion anyway. They sold them at the
>July 4th celebration here in Raleigh, NC.

I remember getting whole fried onions at the local Renaissance Faire
back in the '70s and '80s but can't imagine tucking into something
like that today.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
Bob Muncie > posted:

> cybercat wrote:
> > They do not cook steaks well done. They will TELL you that.

> That is of course, if you did ask for it that way. At all other times,
> you've a 50% chance of receiving that $23 cut in exactly that state of
> rigor of death (leather like)and gray through-out.

I can cook meat at home that's "gray" throughout and it's still juicy and
tender. If they can't do that as paid cooks for a national chain of
restaurants, they're not cooking it right.

Damaeus
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damaeus" > wrote in message
> Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
> Bob Muncie > posted:
>
>> cybercat wrote:
>> > They do not cook steaks well done. They will TELL you that.

>> That is of course, if you did ask for it that way. At all other times,
>> you've a 50% chance of receiving that $23 cut in exactly that state of
>> rigor of death (leather like)and gray through-out.

> I can cook meat at home that's "gray" throughout and it's still juicy and
> tender. If they can't do that as paid cooks for a national chain of
> restaurants, they're not cooking it right.

They don't want to. If you need your meat well done, you should not eat at
Outback.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 15:47:55 -0400, "cybercat" >
> wrote:
>
>>It's a suckass thing to do to a nice onion anyway. They sold them at the
>>July 4th celebration here in Raleigh, NC.

> I remember getting whole fried onions at the local Renaissance Faire
> back in the '70s and '80s but can't imagine tucking into something
> like that today.

I never saw them that early. Just the smoked turkey legs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
"cybercat" > posted:

> "Damaeus" > wrote in message
> > Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
> > Bob Muncie > posted:

> >> That is of course, if you did ask for it that way. At all other times,
> >> you've a 50% chance of receiving that $23 cut in exactly that state of
> >> rigor of death (leather like)and gray through-out.

> > I can cook meat at home that's "gray" throughout and it's still juicy and
> > tender. If they can't do that as paid cooks for a national chain of
> > restaurants, they're not cooking it right.

> They don't want to. If you need your meat well done, you should not eat at
> Outback.

Some friend I'll be if the pack wants to go to the Outback, and I stay
home because they server half-cooked meat. Even better, maybe I'll order
take-out from Texas Roadhouse, and carry it in to Outback Steakhouse. When
they tell me I can't bring it in there, I'll say, "Why not? You say you
don't serve well-done meat, and I wanted well-done meat, but I also wanted
to eat with my friends. So here I am. I get what I want, you get what
you want. I get well-done meat, and you don't have to serve it to me."

And why should the employee care? The only reason he gets upset at seeing
me come in with take-out from another restaurant is because he's afraid of
getting in trouble with his supervisor for letting me in. The supervisor
might be more reasonable if I tell him at least I'll be having a soda.

Damaeus
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damaeus" > wrote in message
news
> Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
> "cybercat" > posted:
>
>> "Damaeus" > wrote in message
>> > Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
>> > Bob Muncie > posted:

>> > I can cook meat at home that's "gray" throughout and it's still juicy
>> > and
>> > tender. If they can't do that as paid cooks for a national chain of
>> > restaurants, they're not cooking it right.

>> They don't want to. If you need your meat well done, you should not eat
>> at
>> Outback.

> Some friend I'll be if the pack wants to go to the Outback, and I stay
> home because they server half-cooked meat. Even better, maybe I'll order
> take-out from Texas Roadhouse, and carry it in to Outback Steakhouse. When
> they tell me I can't bring it in there, I'll say, "Why not? You say you
> don't serve well-done meat, and I wanted well-done meat, but I also wanted
> to eat with my friends. So here I am. I get what I want, you get what
> you want. I get well-done meat, and you don't have to serve it to me."
>
> And why should the employee care? The only reason he gets upset at seeing
> me come in with take-out from another restaurant is because he's afraid of
> getting in trouble with his supervisor for letting me in. The supervisor
> might be more reasonable if I tell him at least I'll be having a soda.

Do what you want. They let the customers know that they do not cook steaks
more than medium.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 16:40:50 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski" >
wrote:

>They should, if requested. Some places warn about and will not be
>responsible for tenderness of well done steaks but will do them to order.
>If the customer is willing to pay, he should be able to get what he wants.
>I don't like them either, but if that is what my guest wants, that is how
>they will be cooked.

If I had a guest that I knew preferred well done meat, I'd make pot
roast.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> "Damaeus" > wrote in message
> news
>> Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,

>>> They don't want to. If you need your meat well done, you should not eat
>>> at
>>> Outback.

>> Some friend I'll be if the pack wants to go to the Outback, and I stay
>> home because they server half-cooked meat. Even better, maybe I'll order
>> take-out from Texas Roadhouse, and carry it in to Outback Steakhouse. When
>> they tell me I can't bring it in there, I'll say, "Why not? You say you
>> don't serve well-done meat, and I wanted well-done meat, but I also wanted
>> to eat with my friends. So here I am. I get what I want, you get what
>> you want. I get well-done meat, and you don't have to serve it to me."
>>
>> And why should the employee care? The only reason he gets upset at seeing
>> me come in with take-out from another restaurant is because he's afraid of
>> getting in trouble with his supervisor for letting me in. The supervisor
>> might be more reasonable if I tell him at least I'll be having a soda.
>>

> Do what you want. They let the customers know that they do not cook steaks
> more than medium.

He could also ask them to nuke it after cooking it for 90 seconds. I bet
that would meet the objectives of both parties.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf said...

> On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 16:40:50 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski" >
> wrote:
>
>>They should, if requested. Some places warn about and will not be
>>responsible for tenderness of well done steaks but will do them to order.
>>If the customer is willing to pay, he should be able to get what he wants.
>>I don't like them either, but if that is what my guest wants, that is how
>>they will be cooked.

> If I had a guest that I knew preferred well done meat, I'd make pot
> roast.

LOL!

Right! Who's ever seen a rare pot roast!!!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> "sf" > wrote in message
>> On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 15:47:55 -0400, "cybercat" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> It's a suckass thing to do to a nice onion anyway. They sold them at the
>>> July 4th celebration here in Raleigh, NC.

>> I remember getting whole fried onions at the local Renaissance Faire
>> back in the '70s and '80s but can't imagine tucking into something
>> like that today.
>>

> I never saw them that early. Just the smoked turkey legs.

Now you gone and done it... Those have always been a favorite of mine.
But I actually like them from home better :-) I just need to put my new
smoker together so I can make some (old one fell apart from the elements
and usage).

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 14:56:22 -0500, Damaeus
> wrote:

>Sidestep the Calorie Surge: Order a few skewers of lean Garlic & Lime
>Grilled Shrimp from the sides menu. It's one of the decent ways to start a
>meal at Chili's.

You made me look since I like those ingredients... does this read
right to you?

Chili's Spicy Garlic and Lime Shrimp
http://fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/recipe.cgi?r=59352
Yield: 4

Ingredients:

----------------- SEASONING BLEND ----------------
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly-ground black pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp dried parsley flakes
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp paprika
1/8 tsp dried thyme
1/8 tsp onion powder

----------------- SHRIMP ----------------
2 tbl butter
1 x garlic clove pressed
24 x fresh large shrimp - (about 1 lb) peeled
1 x lime

Method:
Make the seasoning blend by combining all the spices in a small bowl.

Preheat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the butter to the pan.
When the butter is melted, stir in the pressed garlic. Immediately add
the shrimp to the pan, cut the lime in half and squeeze each half into
the pan over the shrimp. Sprinkle the entire seasoning blend over the
shrimp, and give it all a good stir.

Saute the shrimp for 5 to 8 minutes or until they begin to brown. Be
sure to cook both sides of all the shrimp.

This recipe yields 4 servings.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
Bob Muncie > posted:

> cybercat wrote:
>
> > Do what you want. They let the customers know that they do not cook
> > steaks more than medium.

> He could also ask them to nuke it after cooking it for 90 seconds. I bet
> that would meet the objectives of both parties.

Not me. I hate microwaves for general cooking. The only thing I use ours
for is heating water, melting butter, and if I'm famished and want a fast
snack, I'll put some shredded cheese on chips for some nachos. Other than
that, I use the stove and the oven for cooking. I'd hate to think I'm
eating microwaved food when I go to a restaurant.

Damaeus
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 17:03:03 -0400, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"sf" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 15:47:55 -0400, "cybercat" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>It's a suckass thing to do to a nice onion anyway. They sold them at the
>>>July 4th celebration here in Raleigh, NC.

>> I remember getting whole fried onions at the local Renaissance Faire
>> back in the '70s and '80s but can't imagine tucking into something
>> like that today.
>>

>I never saw them that early. Just the smoked turkey legs.

Turkey legs aren't my thing. They had a yummy sandwich that was
grilled in some contraption that I always went for.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
sf > posted:

> On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 16:40:50 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski" >
> wrote:
>
> >They should, if requested. Some places warn about and will not be
> >responsible for tenderness of well done steaks but will do them to order.
> >If the customer is willing to pay, he should be able to get what he wants.
> >I don't like them either, but if that is what my guest wants, that is how
> >they will be cooked.

> If I had a guest that I knew preferred well done meat, I'd make pot
> roast.

I know a guy who does't like meat if he can't use his bread to sop up the
still-red blood squirting out of it with every cut of his knife. To each
their own. I keep my eyes on my own plate.

Damaeus
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
sf > posted:

> On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 14:56:22 -0500, Damaeus
> > wrote:
>
> >Sidestep the Calorie Surge: Order a few skewers of lean Garlic & Lime
> >Grilled Shrimp from the sides menu. It's one of the decent ways to start a
> >meal at Chili's.

> You made me look since I like those ingredients... does this read
> right to you?

> ----------------- SEASONING BLEND ----------------
> 3/4 tsp salt
> 1/4 tsp freshly-ground black pepper
> 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
> 1/4 tsp dried parsley flakes
> 1/4 tsp garlic powder
> 1/4 tsp paprika
> 1/8 tsp dried thyme
> 1/8 tsp onion powder

I dunno. But as one who has made lasagna with both dried and fresh herbs,
I have to say, fresh herbs seem to be a waste of time. Take dried
cilantro. I made a "hot sauce" for dipping chips using fresh cilantro. I
tried it once using dried cilantro when I didn't have any fresh. There
was no comparison. I could only "see" the dried cilantro. I could hardly
taste it at all. I like a lot of cilantro in it, too. You might even
call it cilantro sauce, it's got so much in it.

If I didn't think the lawn mowing crew or my roommate's dad wouldn't come
through with a hoe and unknowingly hack up the whole herb garden, I'd
plant some herbs in the flower bed. Unfortunately I think Terminix has
probably poisoned the earth around here beyond repair. I have some thyme
growing in a flower pot in the backyard. That stuff is quite a survivor.
It stayed green through the whole winter. I don't overharvest from it,
and I have lots of it out there to use for various things.

I'd like to get other pots for dill weed, oregano, and maybe basil....and
a nice plot for some marijuana would be nice.

Damaeus
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damaeus wrote:

> Not me. I hate microwaves for general cooking. The only thing I use ours
> for is heating water, melting butter, and if I'm famished and want a fast
> snack, I'll put some shredded cheese on chips for some nachos. Other than
> that, I use the stove and the oven for cooking. I'd hate to think I'm
> eating microwaved food when I go to a restaurant.

That was a real disappointment for me when I was working in a town with
a Greek restaurant that tried to be something better than a greasy
spoon. Microwaved spanakopita. Yech.

Like you, I use my microwave for simple task, like melting butter and
cheese or re-heating leftovers. I do not coo in it. I am almost hoping
that it dies so that I can get rid of it and recover some counter space.
And no, I won't get a mounted microwave so that I can get it off the
counter and use it elsewhere. I simply won't replace it. I have used it
once in the last two months and that was just to soften butter. It was
convenient for that, but it does not rank as an essential enough job to
justify its existence in my kitchen. Hell, I spend more time cleaning
it that I do using it. That has to be done at least weekly even when it
is not used.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> Damaeus wrote:
>
>> Not me. I hate microwaves for general cooking. The only thing I use
>> ours
>> for is heating water, melting butter, and if I'm famished and want a fast
>> snack, I'll put some shredded cheese on chips for some nachos. Other
>> than
>> that, I use the stove and the oven for cooking. I'd hate to think I'm
>> eating microwaved food when I go to a restaurant.

> That was a real disappointment for me when I was working in a town with
> a Greek restaurant that tried to be something better than a greasy
> spoon. Microwaved spanakopita. Yech.
>
> Like you, I use my microwave for simple task, like melting butter and
> cheese or re-heating leftovers. I do not coo in it. I am almost hoping
> that it dies so that I can get rid of it and recover some counter space.
> And no, I won't get a mounted microwave so that I can get it off the
> counter and use it elsewhere. I simply won't replace it. I have used it
> once in the last two months and that was just to soften butter. It was
> convenient for that, but it does not rank as an essential enough job to
> justify its existence in my kitchen. Hell, I spend more time cleaning
> it that I do using it. That has to be done at least weekly even when it
> is not used.

I must be very dense this afternoon.

What is so difficult to understand that after the grill cooking
(assuming it is now medium cooked), to nuke it for 90 seconds to change
pink to gray, but retain the grill cooking parameters of juicy, grill
marked, and some little crusting????

If OS won't cook it past medium, and you need well done, what I said
would be a good course of action... better yet. Just stay home and break
out with the smallest violin you can find for yourself.. n'est pas? I'm
guessing that if I try in another language, you might understand. :-)

Bob

P.S. Am I daft today?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
Dave Smith > posted:

> Damaeus wrote:
>
> > Not me. I hate microwaves for general cooking. The only thing I use
> > ours for is heating water, melting butter, and if I'm famished and want
> > a fast snack, I'll put some shredded cheese on chips for some nachos.
> > Other than that, I use the stove and the oven for cooking. I'd hate to
> > think I'm eating microwaved food when I go to a restaurant.

> That was a real disappointment for me when I was working in a town with
> a Greek restaurant that tried to be something better than a greasy
> spoon. Microwaved spanakopita. Yech.
>
> Like you, I use my microwave for simple task, like melting butter and
> cheese or re-heating leftovers.

We don't even typically reheat leftovers in the microwave. We've got
about six or eight glass pie plates we use for heating leftovers in the
oven.

One time my roommate sort of insulted me. I made pizza while he was gone,
and knowing that homemade pizza is often even better after it's been left
in the fridge and reheated in the oven, I made one and put it in the
fridge still on the cutting board (I like making homemade pizza so much I
even bought one of the big, round, handled boards like they use in pizza
parlors -- $60 I paid for it.)

Anyway, he came home and said it was good. He said he'd heated it up in
the microwave. I was hot. A beautiful homemade pizza crust...and I'd
topped it with homemade sauce, ground beef, real smoked sausage, onions,
green peppers, and feta cheese crumbles...and he just "pops it in the
microwave" as if it's no better than a $1.25 Totino's pizza. He laughed
at me when I acted insulted.

But while he does like pizza, he tends to have a low opinion of it.
Sometimes when we go out to eat, I want to go have pizza someplace, just
because while I like homemade pizza, I also like Mazzio's and Double
Dave's. He always says he wants to go eat real food, not "pizza".

So I suppose that's why he did my pizza that way. To him, it's not real
food. Just some kind of snack on flat bread.

> I do not coo in it. I am almost hoping that it dies so that I can get
> rid of it and recover some counter space. And no, I won't get a mounted
> microwave so that I can get it off the counter and use it elsewhere. I
> simply won't replace it. I have used it once in the last two months and
> that was just to soften butter. It was convenient for that, but it does
> not rank as an essential enough job to justify its existence in my
> kitchen. Hell, I spend more time cleaning it that I do using it. That
> has to be done at least weekly even when it is not used.

We have two microwaves. One is quite a large one that is also a
convection oven. I've never used it as a convection oven, but it has the
capability. The one time I did try the convection feature, I put a plate
of nachos in there for 10 minutes and the cheese had not even begun to
look like it was melting. But this is an OLD microwave. It has two
"twist" timers, one for the microwave, and one for convection. And it has
a slider for low, medium low, medium, medium high, and high. But it has
such low power that it takes about three minutes to boil a coffee cup of
water. A smaller, more powerful microwave in the utility room (usually
blocked off by bottles of laundry detergent since it's right by the
washing machine) can boil a cup of water in about a minute and a half.

I'm thinking about experimenting some with the convection feature to see
if I can find any usefulness in it. We have two conventional ovens
already, so that's been plenty. But having a convection oven might serve
a purpose someday.

Damaeus

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
Damaeus > posted:

> I dunno. But as one who has made lasagna with both dried and fresh herbs,
> I have to say, fresh herbs seem to be a waste of time.

Woops! Big mistake. I meant "DRIED" herbs seem to be a waste of time. My
god what a sin! To say fresh herbs are a waste of time? Definitely not.
I love fresh herbs.

Damaeus
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 17:40:05 -0500, Damaeus
> wrote:

>I dunno.

OK. I thought you'd eaten the shrimp at Chili's and would have an
opinion. It looks fast and that's what a chain would be going for.
Other than dried parsley flakes that I don't think would add anything
except color, I don't have issues with it.

<snip>

>If I didn't think the lawn mowing crew or my roommate's dad wouldn't come
>through with a hoe and unknowingly hack up the whole herb garden, I'd
>plant some herbs in the flower bed. Unfortunately I think Terminix has
>probably poisoned the earth around here beyond repair. I have some thyme
>growing in a flower pot in the backyard. That stuff is quite a survivor.
>It stayed green through the whole winter. I don't overharvest from it,
>and I have lots of it out there to use for various things.
>
>I'd like to get other pots for dill weed, oregano, and maybe basil....

Try planting sage, it's amazing!

>and a nice plot for some marijuana would be nice.

Not a good idea unless you wanted uninvited guests.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 18:06:50 -0500, Damaeus
> wrote:

>Woops! Big mistake. I meant "DRIED" herbs seem to be a waste of time. My
>god what a sin! To say fresh herbs are a waste of time? Definitely not.
>I love fresh herbs.

I understood, no problem. I make mistakes like that a lot (mainly due
to changing my mind about how to say it and my subsequent poor editing
skills), but fortunately people seem to be able to understand what I'm
trying to say anyway.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 22:32:05 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:
>
> > Kalmia wrote:

> >> I've been in an OS once, but not being a beef lover, I found little
> >> else to choose from. I think there was one shrimp dish on the menu
> >> and maybe one chicken. I went with a group, no knowing what to
> >> expect.

> > I thought there were a number of chicken and shrimp dishes, but
> > I really didn't pay attention as I was looking for steak. Looked up
> > the menu, they have a variety of foods, but maybe all menus are not the
> > same. I had to put in my zip to find the menu for the place I visited.
> >
> >> I hear that blooming onion is a cardiologist's nightmare, no?

> > Aside from being an onion, this is not health food. Each one is plenty
> > for at least 4 people. I think anyone eating one by themselves would
> > be a Bad Idea. Heh. It's like anything else, too much is too much.
> >
> > nancy

> the dipping sauce for the onion has a nice little zip to it.
>
> yourpal,
> blake

Iirc, it contains Horseradish.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Becca > wrote:

> At Outback, I have never ordered a steak. My children have ordered
> them, but I am not much of a steak person. I am in the mood, or I am
> not. I have ordered tuna, shrimp, lamb, salmon, lobster, BBQ ribs, ribs
> & chicken combo (was called Drover's Platter).
>

> What I like about Outback, is the Bloomin' Onion and the dip that comes
> with it. I also like their bread. <drool> I have not been to Outback in
> a couple of years, the last time I was staying in a hotel - I believe
> in Florida.
>

> Oooh, one day 6 of us ladies went to Outback, we ordered desserts and we
> passed them around the table. Yum, heavenly.
>

> Becca

I really do like Outback. One of the few chain restaurants I've found to
be pretty reliable for good food at a reasonable price, at least at our
local one. :-) It's at the San Marcos Outlet Malls.

I loved the fact that when I order a rare steak, they warn me that it's
really going to be truly rare, and it is served that way. Still bleeding
in the middle. ;-d

The service and atmosphere are pleasant too.

I get the rack of lamb most of the time tho' (served rare) and it's
truly to die for.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.